Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:25 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Speeding ticket

So I went a little too fast. Not sure how fast, but I was written with 83 in a 55 and it doesn't say I can pay by mail. I need to go to court for it. How can I weasel my way out?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Sorry to read that

In a couple of days, you will receive a ton of mail advertising lawyers that claim they will take care of that for around $75.

They will make the points to the license go away, but you will have to pay the ticket.
If your record was clean, they may even make the whole thing disappear; not for sure though.

Same result will be obtained by attending a traffic school for about the same money and then paying the ticket.
However, you can only take a school every certain time, mostly each six months.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:10 PM   #3
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I was cited for CVC 22349(b):

Quote:
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has been posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following apply:

(1) A two-lane, undivided highway is a highway with not more than one through lane of travel in each direction.

(2) Passing lanes may not be considered when determining the number of through lanes.
Looks like I'll get a point on my license and pay about $400.

Now, I was on a 4-lane highway, and this is for a 2-lane highway. Can I use that as some kind of leverage?

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...11/c7/a1/22349

Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:13 PM   #4
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
ask about a diversion program. I did this and got out of the points, class cost more than the ticket.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:14 PM   #5
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Same result will be obtained by attending a traffic school for about the same money and then paying the ticket.
However, you can only take a school every certain time, mostly each six months.
I plan to take a break from the bike for a while, anyway. Besides, I don't speed often enough to be caught once every 6 months, anyway :-)

Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Laws re: tickets vary widely from state to state, along with the recommended methods to limit the damage afterwards. CA is relatively friendly regarding speeding tickets, although it gets expensive. 80+ in a 55 in some mid-western states can result in an impound and a trip to the police station. Here it's just pricey.

First, it's highly unlikely you'll have to go to court for this. You'll receive a courtesy notice in a few weeks that tells you how much to pay and how to do so. If you haven't gone to traffic school in 18 months (sadly, not 6 months), the easiest option is to do exactly that (pay the ticket, go to traffic school, send the paperwork of the completed school to the court, and it is not reported to your insurance company). Some counties in CA don't allow traffic school for 25+ over, so it really depends where this happened. The paperwork you get with the courtesy notice will likely let you know one way or the other.

If you do want to contest the ticket, you still have to send in the bail up front, but you can submit trial by declaration paperwork to contest it via mail. If you are found guilty in the TBWD, you still have an opportunity to have an in-person trial, or you can just drop it at that point. In that in-person trial, you can also ask for traffic school even if for some reason your county doesn't offer it for 25+.

PM me if you have any specific questions. I have more experience than I'd prefer dealing with tickets here.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:56 PM   #7
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
ask about a diversion program. I did this and got out of the points, class cost more than the ticket.
Who exactly do I ask?

Old May 23rd, 2015, 09:34 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

The only diversion program in CA is the ability to take traffic school. The good news is that nowadays many of them are online traffic schools. They are supposed to take 8 hrs, but some of them are written so you can fly through the questions much quicker.

More info here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/det...olinq2/welcome

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:02 PM   #9
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I'm sorry to hear about the ticket

Please keep us updated on the status. Every time I speed, I stop myself knowing I can't afford to pay for a ticket. But in the future...if I do get a ticket, I'd like to know the best course of action from everyone's experiences.

Good luck!

Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:51 PM   #10
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
So I went a little too fast. Not sure how fast, but I was written with 83 in a 55 and it doesn't say I can pay by mail. I need to go to court for it. How can I weasel my way out?
You should receive something like a notice within 3-4 weeks depending on how backed up the courthouse where you need to make an appearance. When you get the notice via mail you might have the option to pay online or you must go to court in person. If you haven't had a ticket within I believe 18 months you should be eligible for traffic school which you should do online. You can even get an extension when paying through the traffic counter inside the courthouse or in the courtroom. Maybe even online.

Another option you could also contest the ticket, there's a 50/50 chance that the cop will not show up in court, and if that happens you go home without paying the ticket and everything will be forgotten. You can even get a 30-60 day extension or pick a certain date for you to contest your ticket. It really depends which courthouse you have to appear to. If you pick a date near a holiday or the cops B-day there's a good chance the cop will not show up.

Then there's trial by written declaration. No one really does that, unless you have some kind of evidence to get you out of your ticket.

Traffic school should cost about $20-40. You can take your time or just cut and paste the study portion on MS word and take the test on the spot, done 1-2hrs LoL maybe even less LoL. A buddy of mine just paid about $348 ticket+ $30 for traffic school going 78 on 580 heading to Livermore, so $400 sounds about right. Goodluck.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #11
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I don't know if I should contest it. The cop had a camera and there were a few other minor infractions I could have been written up for that he was kind enough to overlook. He was actually very respectful.

Thanks for all the good info. You learn some the hard way I guess.

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #12
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Who exactly do I ask?
the court. In Ohio we can go to traffic school for 2 hours through the courts and not get any points.
in some states it's an 8 hour class...

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #13
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Damn.

It may be possible to find a way to defeat the charge. There are ways over here.

I think it's always wise to pick your battles. So I guess you have to decide whether you feel it's worth the time and energy you would have to put in, to fight it. If you think it isn't worth your time and energy, then it's probably best to just meet their demands as soon as possible and put this behind you so you can happily go on with life.

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Worst case scenario its tax deductible at the end of the year.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Speeding tickets are such BS. Just a cash crop for the government. I say hire a lawyer and fight it. Points on your license are expensive.

Old May 24th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
Then there's trial by written declaration. No one really does that, unless you have some kind of evidence to get you out of your ticket.
Not so much. TBWD is most effective when you submit no evidence at all. I've won them by submitting nothing more than "I don't believe the evidence supports the ticket" in the explanation.

If you do have actual evidence that will cause the ticket to be thrown out, it's more effective to use it in person in front of the judge/administrator rather than TBWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Worst case scenario its tax deductible at the end of the year.
Anything's tax deductible right up until you get audited.

Quote:
Fines for traffic tickets are never deductible, even if you receive them doing work-related driving, says Block.
(from here)

Old May 24th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #17
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Not so much. TBWD is most effective when you submit no evidence at all. I've won them by submitting nothing more than "I don't believe the evidence supports the ticket" in the explanation.

If you do have actual evidence that will cause the ticket to be thrown out, it's more effective to use it in person in front of the judge/administrator rather than TBWD.
It was a chp officer in a big SUV going in the opposite direction. As far as I know, he couldn't have radared me. I slowed down when I saw him, and when he was following me I was obeying the speed limit. He did have a camera on his vehicle. Could I use this?

Old May 24th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Use it for what? Radar can certainly be used when approaching traffic in the other direction. It's also not hard to pick out a bike going over 80 mph in a 55 zone. What does it say on the ticket about how he estimated/measured your speed? There are checkboxes for laser, radar, VASCAR, etc. Laser isn't yet usable when moving, so it's almost certainly a radar measurement.

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #19
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Quote:
I plan to take a break from the bike for a while, anyway. Besides, I don't speed often enough to be caught once every 6 months, anyway :-)
I can see the psychology happening but don't let this scare you off riding, like with a horse it is important to get back on, just ride like a saint for while so you feel both virtuous and safe.

The important thing with the ticket is to avoid the points, so try to divert to the school option. There is no way out without money but the nice thing is once its paid and done you have a clean slate.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #20
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
(from here)
interesting, i could have sworn i read or heard that fines were deductibles. oh well, i haven't had to test that theory anyways.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #21
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
Speeding tickets are such BS. Just a cash crop for the government. I say hire a lawyer and fight it. Points on your license are expensive.
Seriously, I'm glad the CHP in my area laid back with giving tickets. Back then a cop pulled me over for going 70 on a 65 road, then luckily some guy flew by doing triple digits and he was like "due to an emergency I will give you a warning" LoL that was my lucky day.

Quote:

(from here)
That really depends on which courthouse you go to. The judge will usually side the cop in most cases as long as the officer follows through. Just like Danny said "it's a cash crop for the government". In my experience, if you are at fault your best bet is to either pay the ticket or just show up to contest it in court if time permits you. Most of these guys no not show up at all,at least for me LoL.

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #22
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I don't know if I should contest it. The cop had a camera and there were a few other minor infractions I could have been written up for that he was kind enough to overlook. He was actually very respectful.

Thanks for all the good info. You learn some the hard way I guess.
If the cop was that respectful to ignore a few infractions, I would just pay the fine and hit traffic school. People make mistakes, the most important thing is that you learn from this ticket.

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #23
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
I can see the psychology happening but don't let this scare you off riding, like with a horse it is important to get back on, just ride like a saint for while so you feel both virtuous and safe.

The important thing with the ticket is to avoid the points, so try to divert to the school option. There is no way out without money but the nice thing is once its paid and done you have a clean slate.
For sure. I might have to sell the bike but if I do I'll probably at least get a little scooter or something. I can't not ride :-)

Quote:
Use it for what? Radar can certainly be used when approaching traffic in the other direction. It's also not hard to pick out a bike going over 80 mph in a 55 zone. What does it say on the ticket about how he estimated/measured your speed? There are checkboxes for laser, radar, VASCAR, etc. Laser isn't yet usable when moving, so it's almost certainly a radar measurement.
Aw man. Just looked at the ticket. He measured it with radar that was equipped on the vehicle. Darn. I thought he just estimated.

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #24
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Seriously, I'm glad the CHP in my area laid back with giving tickets. Back then a cop pulled me over for going 70 on a 65 road, then luckily some guy flew by doing triple digits and he was like "due to an emergency I will give you a warning" LoL that was my lucky day.
I remember when I was riding to work. Going 65 on a 55 mph highway in the slow lane. (everyone drives 65+) I was getting passed by everyone, even 2 semi trucks... I was in no rush for work.. anyway... I notice in my mirror a cruiser coming fairly quick in the fast lane... I just keep looking forward for hazards and sorta forget about him.. that's when I hear his engine right next to me. I turn my head and it's a state trooper and he is staring at me... this is when he yells "HEY!! SLOW DOWN!!!" I complied and started going about 50 mph and gave him a "i'm sorry" wave. He sped off as fast he could probably doing around 90 mph... Ridiculous..

First time I was ever profiled because of my bike. If I was in a cage or riding a cruiser then I guarantee he wouldn't of said a word.

Old May 24th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #25
Ninjinsky

Quote:
I remember when I was riding to work. Going 65 on a 55 mph highway in the slow lane. (everyone drives 65+) I was getting passed by everyone, even 2 semi trucks... I was in no rush for work.. anyway... I notice in my mirror a cruiser coming fairly quick in the fast lane... I just keep looking forward for hazards and sorta forget about him.. that's when I hear his engine right next to me. I turn my head and it's a state trooper and he is staring at me... this is when he yells "HEY!! SLOW DOWN!!!" I complied and started going about 50 mph and gave him a "i'm sorry" wave. He sped off as fast he could probably doing around 90 mph... Ridiculous..

First time I was ever profiled because of my bike. If I was in a cage or riding a cruiser then I guarantee he wouldn't of said a word.
I blame Brando

Old May 24th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #26
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

I agree, I hate when that happens. BTW, nice 600rr the color looks nice. I borrowed a friends 600rr yesterday and it was a blast to ride. I put about 120 miles on it. Super-sport position wasn't so bad since I got used to riding my Road/Tri bikes. I was so stoked that I bought him a Yoshi RS-5 slip. He said I could borrow it for the next couple of days and that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully I can get all of the excitement out of my system or I might have to get rid of one of my cars and get a 600RR LoL.

Old May 24th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Most of these guys no not show up at all,at least for me LoL.
It would be very rare for a CHP officer to not show up. They do it on paid time, and face consequences if they miss court dates. That may vary with town or county LEO's, but counting on a CHP to not show up is not a strong bet.

Old May 24th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #28
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
I agree, I hate when that happens. BTW, nice 600rr the color looks nice. I borrowed a friends 600rr yesterday and it was a blast to ride. I put about 120 miles on it. Super-sport position wasn't so bad since I got used to riding my Road/Tri bikes. I was so stoked that I bought him a Yoshi RS-5 slip. He said I could borrow it for the next couple of days and that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully I can get all of the excitement out of my system or I might have to get rid of one of my cars and get a 600RR LoL.
I love both my bikes but for very different reasons.

Ninja 300 for comfort and MPG

CBR 600RR for everything else lol, the 600 looks nicer, rides smoother, sounds stronger, obviously faster, etc. etc.

Still love both the bikes though. But I would hate to go back to just owning the ninjette after having the CBR lol

Old May 24th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #29
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Ever think about accepting responsibility for your actions and the consequences that entails rather than acting like a weasel?

Old May 24th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #30
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Ever think about accepting responsibility for your actions and the consequences that entails rather than acting like a weasel?
If I were a responsible person I wouldn't even be riding a motorcycle in the first place.

Old May 24th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #31
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

There are consequences for being irresponsible. Chalk up the ticket and the financial costs involved as a valuable lesson and, hopefully, learn from it.

Old May 24th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #32
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Be glad you're in CA. Last time I got clocked at 81 in VA it cost me $1500, 3 month suspension and a criminal misdemeanor charge for reckless driving plus 90 days of jail time. The judge reiterated how nice he was being for suspending my jail time lol.

This was with a lawyer.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #33
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Be glad you're in CA. Last time I got clocked at 81 in VA it cost me $1500, 3 month suspension and a criminal misdemeanor charge for reckless driving plus 90 days of jail time. The judge reiterated how nice he was being for suspending my jail time lol.

This was with a lawyer.
If moved to Florida, that judge would have his plate full just handling the above 100 mph infractions !!!
It seems that we have high tolerance for speeders down here, as everybody travels at light speed.

In Florida, I know nobody going to court without a lawyer and getting any positive results.
Each case that I have known, showing up with no lawyer has meant walking out with license points plus ticket plus court fees.
LEO's always showed up in those cases.
Having a radar reading is evidence that the officer witnessed and that the judge will use in favor of the ticket system.

Street riders should never travel much above the speed limit.
Some limits are absurd for the conditions, but most indicate that accidents related to speed have happened on that area and/or that hidden dangers exist.

The biggest factor that affects your risk is speed.
When things start to go wrong, nothing triggers the survival and panic reactions like high speed.
Yes, we should speed up out of bad situations some times, but as a rule, we should not be flying on public roads: it is simply too risky.

As you speed increases, the kinetic energy that your bike accumulates increases at a much higher rate (squarely).
Your brakes are the only way to drain that energy out ........... or colliding against something.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124041

https://198.50.222.41/forums/showthread.php?t=137312

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...13&postcount=7

With time, a good street rider (the type that survives for years) develops a sense for appropriate speed according to conditions that most times remains within 10%~15% above the posted limits.
Swerving to avoid a crash and stopping in time is always much more difficult than speeding.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #34
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
It would be very rare for a CHP officer to not show up. They do it on paid time, and face consequences if they miss court dates. That may vary with town or county LEO's, but counting on a CHP to not show up is not a strong bet.
It's simple, if your at fault you either pay up or contest the ticket depending on your situation. If you decide to contest the ticket the cop may or may not show. It may work out for some people but not everyone. There are other variables that the cop will factor into his decision in showing up. I'm lucky it worked out for me and my friend but may not for other people.Cheers.

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #35
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I love both my bikes but for very different reasons.

Ninja 300 for comfort and MPG

CBR 600RR for everything else lol, the 600 looks nicer, rides smoother, sounds stronger, obviously faster, etc. etc.

Still love both the bikes though. But I would hate to go back to just owning the ninjette after having the CBR lol
Same here, you gotta have at least 2 bikes if not more. I keep my 250 for the same reasons... but I'm looking to turn it into my track beater when I get another bike as soon as I move to a bigger place. I have the bike until Tuesday for now I'm just gonna enjoy the ride

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #36
Ninjinsky

'kinell. I see "Robocop" has turned up to patronize us with the usual blend of self righteousness and naivety.

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
It's simple, if your at fault you either pay up or contest the ticket depending on your situation. If you decide to contest the ticket the cop may or may not show. It may work out for some people but not everyone. There are other variables that the cop will factor into his decision in showing up. I'm lucky it worked out for me and my friend but may not for other people.Cheers.
Agreed - but in your post you said it was 50/50 that the cop would show up. For CHP, that's just not the case. They will be there, pretty much guaranteed.

I've had them show, and I've had them drop the ticket in court, so in no way am I saying beating a ticket is impossible. Just don't bet on it being dropped due to a no-show, as the odds are way worse than 50/50.

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #38
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-bop-bop....i got a speeding ticket going 55 on a 40 at angeles crest, cvc 22350 basic speed law...appealed through TBWD and i won because the chp was not certified...here is the decision form...

check this thread for more info in fighting a ticket...

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...t=54247&page=2

you are welcome....
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #39
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
What are you talking about? He has options. He just figuring out what's the best option for him.

Suggesting he just accepts the consequences of his actions suggests one of two things:
* he only has 1 option so he should just go with it... not true! Or...
* he has done something bad and he should accept his much deserved punishment... not established. Just because you exceed the posted speed limit doesn't mean you have done something morally wrong.

Also... weasels are cute. Are you saying that he's cute or acts cute? Pretty weird to throw a compliment in with that negative condemnation you gave him.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #40
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

What seems to be the officer problem? lol

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote