Old June 24th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
California Coastal Cruise - June 23/24, 2016

Summer vacation part 3

(Parts One and Two for those interested)

I've never done Hwy 1 so why not now?

But first, new shoes!!

Now we are ready for an adventure!

The plan was to head north towards the Redwoods and then take the coastal highway down as far as my tolerance of other drivers would allow - hopefully as far as San Francisco to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. But first, I have to head north!

Gee... I feel like I was just on Hwy 395 heading towards Fredonyer Pass...

Construction zone scenery..

Took Hwy 36 across from Sacramento towards Fortuna. If you haven't heard of this road, starting in Red Bluff and continuing on for 140 miles is solid twisties. Some broad sweepers, others tight and technical, but more curves than straight stretches and limited traffic. Perfect motorcycling road! Except the "Curves next 140 miles" road sign was missing!! ARGH! poop.

Once I reached Eureka, it was an easy cruise up towards the redwoods. I hadn't really looked at a map, so was winging most of my plan. All I knew was that the State and National Parks were "north" so, go north!

Unfortunately, I was too far north for the famed Avenue of the Giants, so at the suggestion of a helpful ranger, rode through Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

"Big" doesn't begin to describe these ancients!

Took a side road up Cal-Barrel Road to see some of the out of the way old growth.

After I left the park, I headed south. Silly Ranger made the "Oh, the Avenue is over two hours away" sound like it was sooo far! He did not know who he was talking to!

The coast was actually really scenic even if I'm not into the whole "water" thing.

I found an exit onto the Avenue of the Giants at Pepperwood so rode it just at twilight. Too dark for photos or videos, but super surreal in the dying light. I found lodging at a really neat roadhouse in Phillipsville at the Riverwood Inn. They even had indoor bike parking!!

The next morning, I woke up early and headed back up the Avenue to take pictures of what I had seen last night.

I even rode through a tree.

Then I continued on down Hwy 101 until Leggett where I turned off to take Hwy 1 towards the coast. The sheer number of bikes gave me a good hint - this section of road is stupid twisty! WHEEEEEEE

Before you know it, you come over the mountain and suddenly, the world just ends. No more land.

Going south along Hwy 1 reveals more of the same.

Hwy 1 along the coast was both breathtaking with the scenic views and is also "Pay attention, idiot!" twisy as it wraps around the contours of the land.

One stretch got so tight and twisty, I kept telling myself "Don't look over the cliff, it's just a mountain pass, don't look over the cliff, there's no ocean down there really, don't look over the cliff" as I skated through going the speed limit while everyone else was doing about 30 under (limit is 55 through most of it, everyone seemed to be enjoying the 25-30 range).

This guy was lost...

I made my way all the way into San Francisco. Unfortunately, my camera battery was on it's last legs and so this is the last view I got of the point of going this far south...

The battery burped to life once more as I went across the Bay Bridge as I got to live my first experience of Bay Area rush hour traffic. I did brave splitting up to 40 mph but had to do so in spurts as my hands were killing me from that much clutch and throttle work!

Made it home safe and sound around 11pm. Boy am I tired this morning, but it was truly an amazing ride. Now I just have to pick up Hwy 1 again (and get my Golden Gate Bridge picture!) and head south towards San Diego to say I've ridden the entire length of California Hwy 1!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; June 24th, 2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old June 24th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Oh man, I should've joined you for part of that. I was on HWY 1 yesterday!

Old June 24th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I had felt a disturbance in the force. I had no idea a wolf was nearby...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
When I saw the title, I wondered which part of it you did. Great pictures, and that sounds like a great ride!

The part of Hwy 1 between Santa Barbara and Santa Monica is the part I know and drive/ride pretty frequently. Some fun bits along there.

And yeah, lane-splitting is unnerving, but there's a lot of it down here.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Oh man, I should've joined you for part of that. I was on HWY 1 yesterday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I had felt a disturbance in the force. I had no idea a wolf was nearby...

I am a Ninja, sneaky sneaky sneaky.

Old August 1st, 2016, 01:07 AM   #7
SlickWill
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): EX 250 J9

Great community so far

Great info on the ride. Thanks for sharing. I just got my very first bike ever and it is a 250 so it's been inspiring seeing what you all can do with our bike.
SlickWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #8
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Finally (FINALLY!) got the video finished and uploaded. This only covers Parts 2 and 3 since Part 1 was all on roads I've done before so didn't bother turning the camera on that ride.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old February 14th, 2021, 11:02 PM   #9
Rapidroach1
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 & 300

Rapidroach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2021, 02:55 AM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

back in the late 1970's My uncle and I made a coast run in california.. we went down to bakers field and cut straight over to the coast and rode highway 1 (101) all the way to point arena and turned right on some logging road and made our way back to Redding and Home it was a trip I will remember all my life... the BMW broad sliding around the corner and nearly taking us both out, the flat tire on Jenny in the middle of no where and no spare tube. the grape fight my uncle and I had on the bikes tossing grapes up and letting the wind bomb the guy behind LOL... after the first painful day our butts got use to it then it was fun.... but that first day was miserable ! it was over 100deg in the valley but freezing on the coast ! with alot of fog the plan was to camp but My uncle (bless his heart) footed the bill for 2 motel stops.. as the fog was so dense... ( the flat tire caused the 2nd motel stop)
I hear riding from Eureka up to Coos bay Org. is the best in scenery and coast line.... with many places to stop and rest at the beach.
that's on my to do list ! ....
Bob......

Old September 9th, 2021, 10:17 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Wife and I drove up coast from S.F. to Vancouver BC couple years ago. Definitely check out Coos Bay and we went inland to take some logging roads up for a while. Simply amazing scenery! Do it !!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote