ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 30th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #1
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

08 ex250 - close to running, lets do this.

Hello everyone. Long time no talk.

Backstory: Got myself a 08 over 5 years ago, rode it everywhere, it was great. Finally had engine problems 55k down the line. This was two years ago. I spent a week troubleshooting... Needed wheels for work. Picked up a shiny red 1999 VFR 800. VFR is great. Years went by. Ended up also getting a 2005 ex250 that the girlfriend rides. I have been wanting to get back to work on my 08, and now it's time. A few months ago, I found a used engine on craigslist. I put it in the trunk of the car and drove it home. Now, I have a very clean, assembled motorcycle. I am facing the same symptoms I have for a while:

current state and known troubleshooting
(bike is a CA bike, emissions systems removed and airbox removed years ago)

Bike turns on and off with the key. Kill switch works.
Battery is charged.
If I pull the spark plugs and ground to the bike, I see spark on both sides.
Spark plugs are new and correct type.
Engine has new oil, filter, coolant.
Carb is rebuilt, (many many times). I have a new K&N air filter connected directly to the carb.
Proper size jets are in there, I haven't changed it (I have the kit)
Petcock works as expected, both bowls fill up normally.
Kickstand and Clutch safety switch will prevent bike from turning over.

Current Symptom:
In neutral: Bike will turn over with starter motor readily. It will continue this... Both exhaust pipes remain cold. After 30 seconds or so, I did get a backfire snap from the intake/exhaust. Thats it.

What I did this week:
Pulled the working carb from the 2005, inserted into the 2008, and tried again. Same symptom, no change. I figured if there was some vacuum link in the carb that I did not recognize, this would illustrate this. I am going to put the 2008 carb in the 2005 bike and start it up, just to verify it also runs.

Things I think I should go do right now:

Get a compression tester and verify both cylinders hit 140PSI or higher. I haven't done this yet, and don't know for sure until I check.

Verify valve tolerances.

----------

These are the symptoms and what I have already checked out. I am very willing to try any of this again if double checking will help.

Projects like this are great. I've already learned so much about the Ninja. and the VFR needed it's work too - I've been able to complete these projects successfully.

Anyone have any idea on which way to go next? I can report back with updates on anything - will also be including pictures. End goal: ride the green thing again.

Thanks!

- Billy
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #2
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '89 Ninja 250 (#3650)

Fuel is fresh?
I know I had my fair share of backfires until I emptied the fuel tank (My bike had sat for two years previously)
Tango89er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2016, 05:00 PM   #3
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Have you tried a few shots of starting fluid?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #4
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango89er View Post
Fuel is fresh?
I've changed that out yes. I've also drained any fuel in carb bowls before testing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Have you tried a few shots of starting fluid?
I did the last time I was working on it. Didn't get a result actually, but did not know if I was doing it right. Below might explain that...

--------

I got the compression tester. Both tests were with the bikes cold. The analog gauges is the 05 ninja that I ride around, and the digital gauge is the 08 I am fixing up. The manual says I want 139PSI or higher... Even though I am getting much less than that on the running bike? Photos are with carbs removed, gauge on it's respective side. Seems like I have a compression issue to look into. I hear you can do a wet test by pouring oil into the cylinder and trying again, and noting the improvement - which will show bad piston rings if that was the case. The first step though is a valve check and adjustment...

The part I am most confused about is that I only see 60psi on the other ninja. I don't know if the harbor freight gauge I got is faulty. Everything seemed to seat up nicely as the test was done.

Results of the running bike:

My 08 that won't go:

Valve check is next, and will report results..

Old October 6th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
For the running bike, did you hold the throttle wide open and crank until the gauge quit rising?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #6
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
For the running bike, did you hold the throttle wide open and crank until the gauge quit rising?
I did both tests with the carbs removed from the bike, battery fresh off the tender, and after 8 seconds of cranking it's clear it would not go higher. The pressure goes up quickly and stabilizes just higher than the initial rating.

Old October 9th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
One more question: Where is the one-way valve on the gauge? It should be at the very end of the hose at the spark plug fitting. Some have an adapter in the spark plug hose, and the valve between that adapter and the hose. This gives a somewhat low reading. Some actually have the valve at the gauge end of the hose, and that gives a terrible reading.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Running yet?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote