Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 6th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow How multitasking and switch-tasking are different

This interesting idea explains why we can simultaneously do so many visual and mental calculations while giving precise controls inputs to a motorcycle but can barely drive while having an argument over the phone.

We are productively multitasking while riding a bike properly.
Many things are happening at the same time, but we are intellectually engaged and fully concentrated on a result that, when achieved, makes us feel good.

http://paulabermanorganizing.com/201...witch-tasking/

http://polar.me/blog/youre-not-multi...-productivity/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-multi-tasking

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Interesting. Going to go read those. Thanks for the links!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 07:48 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Terminology is really important here. You'll note that the Psychology Today article states that "multitasking" is really a misnomer and that we're really switch tasking all the time.

This aligns with my own view. I do not believe that humans can actually think about more than one thing at a time. What humans are very good at is jumping from thought to thought (or task to task) very quickly. Hence the illusion of doing more than one thing simultaneously.

Try a simple experiment. Next time you're talking to someone and they look down at their phone, stop mid-sentence. See if they notice right away.

I believe that the heightened sense of awareness and engagement we experience when riding (especially nearer the limit) is because we're more focused on fewer things, and are switching more quickly. That takes work.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I believe that the heightened sense of awareness and engagement we experience when riding (especially nearer the limit) is because we're more focused on fewer things, and are switching more quickly. That takes work.
I agree with what you're saying here.

If you pay attention you'll notice that people who firmly believe they can "multitask" are not involved in tasks/jobs that can kill them.

When you ride a motorcycle the world gives you instant/constant feedback on how well you are using your attention.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #5
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Terminology is really important here. You'll note that the Psychology Today article states that "multitasking" is really a misnomer and that we're really switch tasking all the time.

This aligns with my own view. I do not believe that humans can actually think about more than one thing at a time. What humans are very good at is jumping from thought to thought (or task to task) very quickly. Hence the illusion of doing more than one thing simultaneously.

Try a simple experiment. Next time you're talking to someone and they look down at their phone, stop mid-sentence. See if they notice right away.

I will disagree, but only partly. People can only concisely switch task (no concisely multitasking). People's subconscious, including what they have in muscle-memory, can and does all the time. Try a simple experiment. Walk and talk.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 08:53 AM   #6
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I will disagree, but only partly. People can only concisely switch task (no concisely multitasking). People's subconscious, including what they have in muscle-memory, can and does all the time. Try a simple experiment. Walk and talk.
Although it may not have been overtly stated in the linked articles, the subject/focus of the linked articles was how humans interface with the modern world that we've created and within which we must now live/function.

Walking and talking at the same time was not given as an example activity because it doesn't meet the humanity-to-modern-world-interface criteria of the articles.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #7
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
IJS

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #8
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

I'm with you.

It's amazing how distracted we are all the time. It's one reason I don't have anything on my phone other than calls or text-messages, and half the time I ignore it anyway, if I'm talking with someone. I really don't need Twitter or FB going off every thirty seconds.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote