ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 19th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Kiwi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Damian

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R

Speedometer, RPM, & Temp level backlight out.. due to wiring

Hello, new to the forum and the other night my ninja (ninjette?) 250's (2005) backlight for the RPM's, speed, & temp level, backlight went out. However the lights for the Oil (red), high beams, signal indicators, & Neutral lights still work so I thought it weird that the 3 bulbs went out. Went to AutoZone got part #194 (bulbs) and replaced them for no effect on them coming back on. Used a "fuse test screwdriver" and some wiring went out. (I assume.) not sure which fuse I can check for but it's only those three bulbs. Any advice? Is there a "DIY" or kit I can buy to attach to the top of the dash to see what my levels are? I hate riding at night not knowing my speed unless under a streetlight. Also would a Trail Tech Vapor kit replacement help this issue? Just ordered one, if I it does I wouldn't worry about it. I'd appreciate any help!
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Do you have a meter or a 12v test lamp? If so, just use the wiring diagram in the manual and trace wires back from the bulbs, and find out where the problem is.

If your temperature gauge and tachometer are working, just dark, that would say that the dash ground is probably OK, so the red and black wire that supplies power to the bulbs is probably not getting 12v. Verify that, and if it's true, follow it back toward the battery until you find the problem.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #3
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Blown fuse?

And welcome to the forums!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #4
Kiwi
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Do you have a meter or a 12v test lamp? If so, just use the wiring diagram in the manual and trace wires back from the bulbs, and find out where the problem is.

If your temperature gauge and tachometer are working, just dark, that would say that the dash ground is probably OK, so the red and black wire that supplies power to the bulbs is probably not getting 12v. Verify that, and if it's true, follow it back toward the battery until you find the problem.
Yeah that's what it's called I believe when I was talking about the "screwdriver", ground it and the handle lights up if it's getting power. I've found a couple that didn't light up. I'll check that color wire and follow up

Old April 19th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #5
Kiwi
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Blown fuse?

And welcome to the forums!
Any idea which fuse I could check? I used a test lamp on all on the right side fusebox and they all lit up.

Thank you! hope I'm using the right reply template

Old April 20th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Wiring diagram

The dash illumination bulbs are powered by the Taillight fuse, along with all the other running lights. It's a red/blue wire running to the dash.

FYI, the actual gauges and warning lights get power from the Ignition fuse on the brown/blue wire.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:07 AM   #7
Kiwi
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Wiring diagram

The dash illumination bulbs are powered by the Taillight fuse, along with all the other running lights. It's a red/blue wire running to the dash.

FYI, the actual gauges and warning lights get power from the Ignition fuse on the brown/blue wire.
Glad I checked the taillight fuse. It's blown, I used the one from the Turn Signals and as soon as I took off *poof* the lights went out again. So I'm thinking there's a short? Should I check the wiring for twisted wires or something.

Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Kiwi
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Wiring diagram

Love the signature.

I checked the red/blue wire to the dash & to the tail light and found no issues (no bare or pinched wires) I recently took the dash off to replace the bulbs (#194,stock at AutoZone) and everything else is OEM so I'm not too sure what to do at this point. The fuse doesn't blow right away, only after about taking it half a block so if you or anyone has any extra advice I'd be glad to take it. Thanks in advance.