Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old May 8th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Plzstopaknocking
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250

Question 2006 ninja 250 knockin blues

Hello my name is Justin. I'm in Memphis Tennessee I just recently purchased a bike last weekend a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250. When I bought the bike I guess I got head it warmed up and everything because it never made any of these sounds and act like it is now. When you first start up before it's warmed up there is a knocking sound and I can feel it coming through the frame. The knock matches the blow out of the exhaust. If you pull in the clutch it almost goes away but once you let go cuz right back after about five or six minutes of running the idle goes up a lot higher and the knock almost goes away definitely most of the actual feeling but you can still hear a little bit but it sounds a whole lot better... I don't know anything about bikes after changing the oil and putting gas in it and air in the tires my expertise is over... the guy I bought it from said it had a recent oil change and that nothing was wrong with it that the bike was perfect when it started making the knocking sound I called him he told me 250's are just cold natured... and I just have to let it warm up that the knock isnt anything wrong with it... do not touch the carburetors do not do anything to it. First like I ever had was a Kawasaki Ninja 250 back in 98 or 99 and I believe it was in 96 and 97 model somewhere around there it never had a knock or needed to be warmed up but I'm not sure if those model differences mean anything ... but once I let it warm up the idol seem to be too high and when you would read it a little bit it would stick in the higher RPM and slowly coming down and you had to leave it alone before it would come to a resting Idol.... so now that I've rambled on with all the information I know what do y'all think? Do you think it's close to throwing a rod or these bikes really like this cold natured and this is no big deal what are the main things that you look for do an oil change and make sure it's level? Could this be caused by spark plugs or miss fire? I've read online adding heavier weight motor oil and heavy duty Lucas stabilizer can fix or quiet down the knock ... but warned to keep it under 3000 RPM has anybody done this technique and is it safe..... I appreciate any and all info thank you
Plzstopaknocking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Our 2006 with 3,000 mi did about the same when cold. Our beat 1990 with 20,000 mi is actually quieter on start-up. Both are fine when off choke and warm.

It's an odd sound, but I don't think there is anything wrong.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #3
Plzstopaknocking
ninjette.org newbie

I bought the bike for a buddy of mine who has been dragging his feet on getting a bike... and when I brought him over to check it out it's been sitting there cold I had no clue it was going to do what it's doing so the first time I showed it to him it's making this knocking sound and it was cold that day so when I gave it some throttle it was actually falling on his face.... needless to say he did not buy the bike.. I got a pretty good deal on it I'm hoping I don't have to do any mechanical work to it maybe a tune-up and some maintenance if I get into actual mechanical work I'm going to eat up any profit that might have been ... I hope I can get it to stop rather than having to give a story and explain I'm 6-2 over 300 pounds it's not the right bike for me he's 5-10 180 we both are relearning how to ride.... I'm wondering now if I'm going to be stuck with it I wish we could post a video on here so I can get your feedback

Old May 9th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #4
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by plzstopaknocking View Post
i wish we could post a video on here so i can get your feedback
you can if you up load it to youtube then post the youtube link.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Plzstopaknocking
ninjette.org newbie

Good idea

Old May 11th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome! ,
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #7
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome

Old May 19th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome and good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote