ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 15th, 2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Cherokee
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Need help with bike!

Hello I got a 2006 250R ninja from a friend about to months ago and I am trying to get it fixed. When I got it, it had been sitting for a couple of years. I cleaned the carbs and replaced the head gasket and piston rings. The bike runs at idle but when I give it gas the rpms rev at around 3000 rpm for a couple of seconds before going back down to around 1300. This is the first bike that I have ever worked on so I don't really know to much, just learning as I go, thanks.
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and welcome!!!

Most likely your carbs need deeper cleaning:

- disassemble carbs down to bare jets, needles, float-valves, etc.
- floss all secret passages
- ultrasonic bath with heavy-duty chemicals
- soda-blast all orifices and fuel circuits
- verify slide diaphragms intact with no cracks or leaks
- adjust float heights to spec

- test that petcock diaphragm holds vacuum (don’t have to keep applying vacuum for fuel to flow)

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; April 15th, 2018 at 02:07 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Cherokee
ninjette.org newbie

I have cleaned my carbs twice with chem dip and 3 times without, i also checked my diaphragms and they seem to slide back down slowly. i don't see ant holes or deformity in them.

Old April 15th, 2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Hello David, it's good to meet you. As much as you aren't happy to hear it, Danno is probably right. You can clean the carbs 50 times, but if you miss one of the tiny hidden passages, you'll keep having trouble. If you run out of patience, Ducatiman here on the board is a professional carb rebuilder and is reasonable with his fees.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

You need pressure, ultrasonic, and abrasives to remove the plastic-like varnish of dried gas. It cross-links into poly-vinyl bonds that can never be dissolved again. You also need to floss out the hidden passages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Here are the secret passages in the carbs. They are kindof hard to figure out sometimes and this picture guide will show where they are for cleaning purposes.

Carb Pilot jet Circuit

Carb Main Jet Circuit

Carb Fuel and Overflow Drain

Carb Diaphragm Intake, upper choke and vacuum ports

Carb Choke Circuit

Old April 15th, 2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Cherokee
ninjette.org newbie

What would i use to floss the passage ways?

Old April 15th, 2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I use strands of copper wire.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Hello David, it's good to meet you. As much as you aren't happy to hear it, Danno is probably right. You can clean the carbs 50 times, but if you miss one of the tiny hidden passages, you'll keep having trouble. If you run out of patience, Ducatiman here on the board is a professional carb rebuilder and is reasonable with his fees.
I agree with Triple Jim. You will NEVER get your carbs as clean as Ductiman will. You'll be riding much sooner.

Bill

Old April 15th, 2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Cherokee
ninjette.org newbie

How much does it cost?

Old April 16th, 2018, 08:15 AM   #10
DannoXYZ

Ducatiman refurb set of new-gen carbs for me @ $156. Another set of pre-gen carbs was $140. Some of the best money spent ever! Because on 1st set carbs, I spent way, way more than that in my time at current salary and still couldn't get it completely clean enough to run like stock. After he was done, bike ran like brand-new model off showroom floor!

Old April 18th, 2018, 04:17 AM   #11
THusker
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

All good advice. I did my own carbs when I bought my 07 this winter. It had the same symptoms yours did. I would have never cleared the passages in the carb without a lot if elbow grease spent on flossing the circuits as described in previous posts. If Ducatiman will do it for the price stated it is a bargan.

I would assume that if you replaced the head gasket and rings you replaced the spark plugs but 20+ years in service industry has taught me that assumptions can cause basic things to be missed. So please do not be offended with me bringing up possibility of fouled plugs. I had tried to run my engine before I bought my 07 on the gas that was still in the tank and then on fresh fuel and sea foam. The engine actually got to the point it would barely run. After I cleaned the carb it still would not run hardly at all. I pulled the plugs and they were fuel fowled beyond cleaning. Replaced the plugs and it fired right off and ran great!!!
THusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2018, 02:33 PM   #12
Cherokee
ninjette.org newbie

Yea i change the plugs thanks.

Old April 18th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #13
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
I have cleaned my carbs twice with chem dip and 3 times without, i also checked my diaphragms and they seem to slide back down slowly. i don't see ant holes or deformity in them.
Don't take it personal, but there are people on this board every week with carb problems. I've had 5 of these bikes and am probably getting a 6th soon. There is a lot more to these carbs than just spraying some carb cleaner in them or dipping them in solvent. I bet I pulled the carbs apart 4 or 5 times on my first one before I got it running decently. And that was after making post like yours here on the board.

You will save a lot of time and aggravation if you just pull them out and send them to Ducatiman.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2018, 04:03 PM   #14
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Don't take it personal, but there are people on this board every week with carb problems. I've had 5 of these bikes and am probably getting a 6th soon. There is a lot more to these carbs than just spraying some carb cleaner in them or dipping them in solvent. I bet I pulled the carbs apart 4 or 5 times on my first one before I got it running decently. And that was after making post like yours here on the board.

You will save a lot of time and aggravation if you just pull them out and send them to Ducatiman.
I also have read many posts here about carb problems. I've rebuilt many carburetors over the years. I just rebuilt one on a 1960 Johnson outboard motor and she runs fine. The Ninja carb is a very complicated beast. It reminds me of a carb I had on a 1975 Oldmobile Omega one time when Detroit was still struggling to meet E.P.A. requirements. I never did get that carb to run properly. I should have just purchased a replacement carb. I will not do anything but remove my carbs and ship them to Ducatiman. They are coming off once and going on once again. That's it!

I shouldn't speak for Ducatiman but he's sidelined for a short time and won't be restoring carbs for a while. A short while I hope. In the meantime, finger crossed, I won't need his services right away.

Bill

Old April 18th, 2018, 04:54 PM   #15
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

I have cleaned quite a few carbs. Even with a heated ultrasonic bath the tiny passages do not always get cleaned. Some carbs have jets under plugs. If you don't know the carb you can spend a lot of time and not get anywhere. The 250 Ninja carbs may not need to be split saving time and issues. I just cleaned a set of pregen and the bike runs great. Getting it started is another matter. I know it is not clean. One side needs a lot of choke and the left side needs almost none. Get it running on the right side and cut the choke to get the left side to pick up.

I am away from my shop and no ultrasonic cleaner.

One thing I did notice is here in Florida. You can buy the strong chlorinated carb cleaner that is banned in the Nanny State of New Jersey. Before I leave here I am picking up a case.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #16
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post

I shouldn't speak for Ducatiman but he's sidelined for a short time and won't be restoring carbs for a while. A short while I hope. In the meantime, finger crossed, I won't need his services right away.

Bill
Dang I was thinking of sending him the carbs from #6.

Old April 18th, 2018, 05:13 PM   #17
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Dang I was thinking of sending him the carbs from #6.
PM him to check me out.

Bill

Old April 19th, 2018, 04:36 AM   #18
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
PM him to check me out.

Bill
Well I have to see if I get #6 first. And if I do it won't be for another month or so.

Old April 26th, 2018, 05:52 AM   #19
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
I agree with Triple Jim. You will NEVER get your carbs as clean as Ductiman will. You'll be riding much sooner.

Bill
This. Ducatiman is the god of carb cleaning.

Old April 26th, 2018, 03:10 PM   #20
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
I'm humbled, thank you for kind words but oh, please "god" of carbs? Don't be silly, though I admit a heckuva lot of effort goes in.

Recently had an "argument" with some EX500 pilot jets, rotted, 1 broke off inside its housing. Working an inch down inside...got lucky, was able to safely remove it.

I've recovered remarkably quick after a medical procedure, so contact via PM if needed ...I'm at your service yet again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dan2.jpg (54.7 KB, 6 views)
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2018, 03:28 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to pre-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2018, 07:58 PM   #22
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
I'm humbled, thank you for kind words but oh, please "god" of carbs? Don't be silly, though I admit a heckuva lot of effort goes in.

Recently had an "argument" with some EX500 pilot jets, rotted, 1 broke off inside its housing. Working an inch down inside...got lucky, was able to safely remove it.

I've recovered remarkably quick after a medical procedure, so contact via PM if needed ...I'm at your service yet again.
Good new Gordy!! Glad you're back at it you tough old buzzard.

Cheers,

Bill

Old April 28th, 2018, 01:58 PM   #23
juanphatsun
ninjette.org member

Name: Juan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Hello I got a 2006 250R ninja from a friend about to months ago and I am trying to get it fixed. When I got it, it had been sitting for a couple of years. I cleaned the carbs and replaced the head gasket and piston rings. The bike runs at idle but when I give it gas the rpms rev at around 3000 rpm for a couple of seconds before going back down to around 1300. This is the first bike that I have ever worked on so I don't really know to much, just learning as I go, thanks.
Have you checked the rubber boots that connect the carbs to engine?
The very first time I pulled my carbs out my bike was running pretty crappy, can't recall the exact symptoms but it definitely wasn't the carbs. One of my rubber boots had an itty bitty piece of rubber missing where it mates with the engine side which was causing it to run badly. Once i replaced the bad boot my troubles were solved.

Also another source of woes was making sure that the airbox is properly mounted onto the carbs.

Hope this helps.
juanphatsun is offline   Reply With Quote