ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old June 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcyclistonline] - Ara Gureghian - Oasis of his soul...

Ara Gureghian - Oasis of his soul...
Around 50 years ago, a 10-year-old Armenian boy living in France became aware of his first motorcycle - a black Solex - that left a lasting impression of the possibilities of two-wheeled travel. Half a century later and on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, Ara Gureghian lives life 'on the road' on an old BMW R 1100 GS with a sidecar for his dog Spirit. But how did he end up living the nomadic life in America? Ara's story is as fascinating as the man himself...

Currently somewhere in Utah, Ara has been on the road for over two years but has no plans to lead a 'normal life'. His lifestyle may seem strange to some, but when you understand his background, many things become clear. As a young man, and upon graduation from the best Culinary School in Switzerland, his father gave him a one-way ticket to America and told him that's where his future would be. Little did he know that he would end up living under the stars?

Ara's talents soon helped him achieve success as a bakery owner, restaurant owner and a personal chef to some of the wealthiest residents of Florida. However, it was a personal tragedy that brought about his decision to leave all this behind in favor of a less 'conventional' lifestyle with just his motorcycle, his Pit Bull Terrier and Mother Nature for company.

"The deck of cards crumbled four years ago," says Ara. "My only child Lance passed away from liver cancer at the tender age of 26, and the darkness of the nights never lightened up throughout even the brightest days. There was only one ray of hope - not of sunshine yet - but a path of therapy enabling me to cope with life. My dog 'Spirit', rescued from much abuse at the age of one, agreed. With some planning and a daring move from the daily grind, we decided to start life on the road and living under the stars".

Ara knew that it was the 'off the beaten track' places that attracted him most, so there really was only one choice of motorcycle to take him to the most out of the way roads and trails where the scenery was most spectacular - a BMW GS became his tool of choice. A good friend who was a Master BMW mechanic taught him everything he needed to know about the art of motorcycle maintenance.

So far, this training has been a big success. 'Old Faithful' - Ara's 1996 R 1100 GS, now has 182,000 miles on her odometer and has hardly required any serious work. A sidecar was designed for her, with strong mounts to safely carry Spirit, even though Ara wasn't sure if his dog would even sit in there while going down the rough and broken-up roads he intended to ride! And as if that wasn't enough, Ara also wanted him to wear goggles and a helmet - a source of amusement wherever the pair travel to, but a necessary safety aid nonetheless!

"I am often asked how long did it take him to get used to all this and my answer is always 'how long did it take me to get used to seeing him wear his goggles and his helmet, with his head up straight enjoying himself riding with me'," said Ara. "We are together 24/7, he understands just about every word I say and in turn I understand every one of his moves and looks. I couldn't have a better companion and we've space for the things he needs such as water, bowl, food, raingear, warm coat, extra goggles, his helmet and treats, plus a few tools of mine, spare cables, bulbs, oil, first aid kit, blankets, a couple of rations of dehydrated food, extra fuel, and maps."

It must be hard for anyone used to a daily work routine to imagine life on the road in this way, but most motorcyclists with a passion for escape and adventure will realize the enviable situation that Ara finds himself in. After all, his notion of time has vanished; his 'clocks' are the sunrises and the sunsets; his 'calendar' is the moon; and his night time 'map' is the stars. Things like possessions have become a thing of the distant past.

"Having nothing but the essentials is all we need, and it is an amazing change," says Ara. "It truly puts you in touch with yourself. I cannot hide the fact that Spirit wearing his goggles and helmet riding down the road in his sidecar is an attraction. There must be thousands of his pictures floating around homes and used as screensavers on people's computers! And I wish for everyone that talks to us and tells us that they are envious of this lifestyle, that they can also some day experience the freedom of the road - if only for a short time. Not only the freedom to roam around of course, but also the freedom to unleash themselves and just 'be', and leave behind the television, the comforts of home and everything in it."

When Ara started his journey, he wanted to write about his travels and take pictures of where he had been, as he always knew that this trip would be a long one. In parallel with the riding, photography became a self-taught passion and his love of the natural world has brought an added element to his ride - as well as the offer from a gallery to display his pictures. He even sells a few of them from his http://www.theoasisofmysoul.com website in order to provide the necessary funds to fill his petrol tank and put food in Spirit's bowl. His 'blog on the website is read by people all over the world who are following his journey.

As for the future, Ara wants nothing more than health and happiness in his life, and for his motorcycle to take him even further down the road on his voyage of discovery. There's no finish line in sight of course, because as most motorcyclists will tell you, the journey is just as important as the destination.

"So for now, we'll just keep on rolling down the road, on two - or rather, three wheels," says Ara. "There will be a few more tires, a few more oil changes and a few years ahead of us - and that's all I know for now. We'll follow the weather and only move on when we feel we have seen enough of the wonderful sights around us. I am sometimes asked what we will do when we have seen it all. And this always makes me smile, as seeing it all - and 'feeling' it all - would take many lifetimes!"

Photo Gallery: Ara Gureghian - Oasis of his soul... - Motorcyclist Magazine Online

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

Click here for full story...