ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 9th, 2022, 07:42 PM   #81
SuspectPage3
ninjette.org member

Name: Chinmay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250R

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
First, you have to recognize there are NO mechanics, zip, nada, zilch, none that can work on carbs properly! Unless they are at least 65-yrs old; they simply do not have experience and training for this. STOP looking for mechanics to solve your problems, they will only make it worse. YOU must be one to learn and fix this bike. If you don't want to do that, then sell it and buy running bike with EFI. Will save you tonnes of time and money in long run.

You probably don't have CA EVAP system with 3-port tank. Single vent port on tank should have hose that goes down left side of bike and exits down by rear shock.
Yes, thank you kindly, it helped.

Quote:

1. this hose connects only to ONE carb
2. starts at right carb's brass vacuum port
3. goes to T
4. one exit of T goes to coast enricher on far left (UFO looking thing)
5. other exit of T goes forward to PAIR valve above cylinder head
Thank you!

Quote:
also install fuel-filtre with tail end going into carb-inlet pipe. So that petrol flows into inside of filtre 1st, then flows to outside to go into carbs. If it's installed backwards, flow will crumple it up and impede flow.

Stick tail of filter into inlet pipe 1st, so only hard plastic ring is visible. Then slide fuel hose over inlet pipe.

OMG! you guys are super amazing!!!!

@DannoXYZ : you were correct with this, I found the issue. It was the hose from petcock to carb, the filter was mangled up inside blocking the flow of fuel. See my image for this.

Now the bike started, it idles and revs (up to 5-6k rpm) a bit but I still need help with the rest. I can't tell you how happy I was to finally figure out the issue (with help from you all).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220109_172857.jpg (48.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220109_173309.jpg (37.4 KB, 6 views)
SuspectPage3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2022, 07:51 PM   #82
SuspectPage3
ninjette.org member

Now, the bike starts, idles with and without choke, stayed on for 5-6 mins.
Once the engine warmed up, I noticed the image C, green (coolant?) Liquid started following though this outlet. It was fairly warm and was dripping all over the engine.

Also, image B, was spitting out large amount of steam from 1 cylinder looking thing.

And then bike stalled itself, (guessing some hose routing isn't correct) .

Could you please help me figure this out.

I have a few connections stray and not connected at this stage:
Image B, point 1 - not connected
Image C, (under right carb, bottom facing outside)
Top of coolant reservoir, white hose outlet,

Hope this makes sense to you guys and may be you can shed some light.
Thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220103_133602.jpg (11.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220103_133526.jpg (80.0 KB, 11 views)

Old January 10th, 2022, 08:28 AM   #83
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectPage3 View Post
Now, the bike starts, idles with and without choke, stayed on for 5-6 mins.
Once the engine warmed up, I noticed the image C, green (coolant?) Liquid started following though this outlet. It was fairly warm and was dripping all over the engine.

Also, image B, was spitting out large amount of steam from 1 cylinder looking thing.

And then bike stalled itself, (guessing some hose routing isn't correct) .

Could you please help me figure this out.

I have a few connections stray and not connected at this stage:
Image B, point 1 - not connected
Image C, (under right carb, bottom facing outside)
Top of coolant reservoir, white hose outlet,

Hope this makes sense to you guys and may be you can shed some light.
Thanks !
did you not read my post about that 1 and C go together see part 39062D
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2022, 09:09 PM   #84
SuspectPage3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shspvr View Post
did you not read my post about that 1 and C go together see part 39062D
Hi shspvr, I saw your reply. I tried to connect the two ends together, but the hose doesn't fit them? Plus it's too big for the cylinder looking thing outlet. Also, it's not long enough to reach the two, so I thought I must be doing something wrong and tried to start the bike. It started and now pouring out the green liquid thing and steam.
So you saying the stem outlet image B1 and C are supposed to connect via a hose? Just to reconfirm.
Don't understand how that's going to work cuz they both outlets and not like one is in and other is out. But let me try to join them.

Looks like the "mechanic" who took the carbs for so called "cleaning" must have forgotten to put that particular hose back on, and now it's missing (probably somewhere in his garage). FFS
I'm going to have to DIY something make make it connect the two together.

Old January 11th, 2022, 04:42 AM   #85
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Hi shspvr, I saw your reply. I tried to connect the two ends together, but the hose doesn't fit them? Plus it's too big for the cylinder looking thing outlet. Also, it's not long enough to reach the two, so I thought I must be doing something wrong and tried to start the bike. It started and now pouring out the green liquid thing and steam.
So you saying the stem outlet image B1 and C are supposed to connect via a hose? Just to reconfirm.
Don't understand how that's going to work cuz they both outlets and not like one is in and other is out. But let me try to join them.

Looks like the "mechanic" who took the carbs for so called "cleaning" must have forgotten to put that particular hose back on, and now it's missing (probably somewhere in his garage). FFS
I'm going to have to DIY something make make it connect the two together.
The parts are show in the green circle description is saying HOSE-COOLING,FILTER-CARB which mean there a coolant hose going to the carburetor so image B1 and C are supposed to connect via a hose.
So, you are going to need to order part 390620249 "hose" and pair of 921711051 "clamps"
Don't go buy any old hose's keep in mind that needs be made for hot coolant
That other hose? maybe fuel tank drain hose "In post 44 the white arrow" but it way to short for that it needs to be at lease a .5 meter long and only has one clamp on end which for overflow of gas and water under the gas cap to drian off .

For we know he could install the wrong hose so that extra hose you have is actually for carburetor vacuum lines going to the fuel petcock being it has the rigth clamps for carb and the one that on there now at T is the ones for the coolant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hose.jpg (114.5 KB, 8 views)

Old January 11th, 2022, 05:28 AM   #86
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Wooo dude ! you mean to tell me my 250R ninja has a coolant line going to the carbs ???? that is totally unexpected ! I suppose the reason for that would be to keep the carbs at a even temperature, i.e. they used to get too hot in running so they added the coolant which isn't COOL by any means but it's better than boiling the gas in the carbs ! and a side benefit of getting better gas milage from the engine would also be realised .... that coolant to the carbs would likely only pass through a horizontal hole in each carb and return to the radiator
just enough to regulate the temperature a bit sense the engine head is very hot it would likely be at the front of the carb, but sense aluminum transfers heat so well it could also be at the back of the carb.... I find that very Bazaar ! coolant line to the carbs ! who'd a' thunk it ??? LOL...
I'll have to pay closer attention to my bike when I pull the carbs off
but I didn't notice anything like that before... it could be only the older models have that...i dunno !
also probably why they added the carbon canister and air pollution crap on the bike as well.... one thing leads to another and it was needed !
that is a new one on me !
thanks for the info...Anthony !

Bob......

Old January 11th, 2022, 05:36 AM   #87
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Wooo dude ! you mean to tell me my 250R ninja has a coolant line going to the carbs ???? that is totally unexpected ! I suppose the reason for that would be to keep the carbs at a even temperature, i.e. they used to get too hot in running so they added the coolant which isn't COOL by any means but it's better than boiling the gas in the carbs ! and a side benefit of getting better gas milage from the engine would also be realised .... that coolant to the carbs would likely only pass through a horizontal hole in each carb and return to the radiator
just enough to regulate the temperature a bit sense the engine head is very hot it would likely be at the front of the carb, but sense aluminum transfers heat so well it could also be at the back of the carb.... I find that very Bazaar ! coolant line to the carbs ! who'd a' thunk it ??? LOL...
I'll have to pay closer attention to my bike when I pull the carbs off
but I didn't notice anything like that before... it could be only the older models have that...i dunno !
also probably why they added the carbon canister and air pollution crap on the bike as well.... one thing leads to another and it was needed !
that is a new one on me !
thanks for the info...Anthony !

Bob......
No only if live cross the pond like in Australian

Old January 11th, 2022, 06:51 AM   #88
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

oh those poor bast$#@ds have to put up with that ??? my condolences !
and I thought california was bad !
that's OK california has already got laws on the books saying in a few years no one can sell gas or diesel powered vehicles of any kind..... time for a revolution I guess,lol... they didn't even put it to a vote they did it by themselves !
and they are supposed to be representing the people that live here....
.....time to fire them all !

I honestly believe the simpler the better with bikes and cars but what do we get ? more and more complex stuff that takes 2 college degrees just to understand it ! yet alone have the special tools and certificate to be legal to work on it....
Sigh! our society is seriously broken !

Bob.....

Old January 11th, 2022, 07:02 AM   #89
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
oh those poor bast$#@ds have to put up with that ??? my condolences !
and I thought california was bad !
that's OK california has already got laws on the books saying in a few years no one can sell gas or diesel powered vehicles of any kind..... time for a revolution I guess,lol... they didn't even put it to a vote they did it by themselves !
and they are supposed to be representing the people that live here....
.....time to fire them all !

I honestly believe the simpler the better with bikes and cars but what do we get ? more and more complex stuff that takes 2 college degrees just to understand it ! yet alone have the special tools and certificate to be legal to work on it....
Sigh! our society is seriously broken !

Bob.....
You do that some old car had carburetor coolant plate back in the day "Look up Ford" even in some of today modern card also have coolant passages in the intake are the round the throttle body.

Old January 11th, 2022, 07:30 AM   #90
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yah 1970's chevy trucks had them in a plate under the carb
to stop carb ICENG which would lead to a vapor lock !
they had PVC valves those crazy environmentalists got them to pass that one !
then they came up with smog pumps ! a total disaster that did not reduce emissions it worsened them ! but the consumer paid the price !
... same thing with the fuel from the very start they said they had to do something as you couldn't see from all the smog in the L.A. basin... they made us use unleaded fuel and discovered that the emissions out of the cars was 10 times as bad as it ate the paint off the road signs ! but they stuck with it anyway ... after all it's not good politics to say oh we screwed up ! sorry
so instead of changing back to leaded fuel we still have it and catalytic converters in every car and a ton of other crap to make up for their Oversite !
and they have the gaul to say it's for the reduction of pollution
.... oh well.... no one ever said politicians are smart ! they just kiss babies and shake alot of hands and then take long vacations !
there's gott'a be a better way !
HAHAHAHA
Bob.....

Old January 11th, 2022, 07:32 AM   #91
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
yah 1970's chevy trucks had them in a plate under the carb
to stop carb ICENG which would lead to a vapor lock !
they had PVC valves those crazy environmentalists got them to pass that one !
then they came up with smog pumps ! a total disaster that did not reduce emissions it worsened them ! but the consumer paid the price !
... same thing with the fuel from the very start they said they had to do something as you couldn't see from all the smog in the L.A. basin... they made us use unleaded fuel and discovered that the emissions out of the cars was 10 times as bad as it ate the paint off the road signs ! but they stuck with it anyway ... after all it's not good politics to say oh we screwed up ! sorry
so instead of changing back to leaded fuel we still have it and catalytic converters in every car and a ton of other crap to make up for their Oversite !
and they have the gaul to say it's for the reduction of pollution
.... oh well.... no one ever said politicians are smart ! they just kiss babies and shake alot of hands and then take long vacations !
there's gott'a be a better way !
HAHAHAHA
Bob.....
Amay to that

Old January 11th, 2022, 07:49 AM   #92
racered
ninjette.org member

Name: paul

Motorcycle(s): not enough

racered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2022, 10:10 PM   #93
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yeah, I'm with you on wanting simpler machinery instead of the complicated *^%. Cars and bikes are getting more and more stuff on them, and it doesn't improve the user experience. It's subscription based stuff, and screens, and more *^* to break and to pay for.

Not cool.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2022, 11:10 PM   #94
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL unfortunately that's progress for ya !
the idea of Making it better is still there but the "what can we add on there so we can raise the price to make more money" has virtually taken over !
from TV's and CD players in the back seats to automatic parallel parking systems it's all just to separate you from your money !
when I was a kid I was appalled at how much a used motorcycle costs
at half or a little less than half of a brand new one. so I got basket cases and put them together and made them work
that was the cheap way to go back in those days ... now you cannot find basket cases..... guys buy them up and sell the parts on e-bay...
the motorcycle itself is the the main part but it only costs around $2000~$3000 to make a 750cc bike however they charge $10,000 plus for that bike off the show room floor. you are paying dearly for all the extra stuff that they put on there ! .... and it's the same for cars you do not get anything anymore at COST to make it .... it is all marked up...that was not always the case.
consider this.... I can make bird houses and sell them... it cost me $4.00 for material each.... and I sell them for 100% profit at $8.00 each
that should be enough profit you'd think right ? ...that's a good money maker at 100% profit !
but no... you see the same bird houses in stores for $29.95.... how can you justify a price like that ?..... it's what ever the market will bare.! and it's not any longer what the thing is worth it's how much can they get from you for it
Housing has been like that for a hundred years now....everything else has just caught up is all...
Bob......

Old January 12th, 2022, 05:29 AM   #95
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Yeah, I'm with you on wanting simpler machinery instead of the complicated *^%. Cars and bikes are getting more and more stuff on them, and it doesn't improve the user experience. It's subscription based stuff, and screens, and more *^* to break and to pay for.

Not cool.
A true Modern Classics must be Air Cool and has to be 30 years are older
Royal Enfield
Triumph
Kawasaki W800
Honda Monkey, Super Cub, Trail, XR650
Yamaha TW200, XT250, V Star 250
Suzuki Boulevard S40, DR200, DR650
Harley-Davidson
There is min other

Motorcycle is still a very simpler design machine the real problem are the Touring and some Adventure bike that have a lot of extra gadgets.

Modern Classics just need be in 2100 century with Disc brakes Front and Rear, Electronic Ignition and Electronic Fuel Injection and with LED lighting.
I don't have problem with bike with ABS system, but I do have problem when I paid a lot more for it and some other BS like styling diff or aka color schemes.

When come to Cars the newer they are the more of pain in rear it is fix them due to their separate computer modules in networking and need a boat of other equipment OBS-2 scanner tool "ThinkTool" and PC Oscilloscopes "PicoScope" Digital Multimeter and Clamp Meter "AstroAI" and god help you if your LCD screen goes out $$$$

Old January 12th, 2022, 11:13 AM   #96
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
We never have problems with water-cooling system... many benefits with zero downsides...
However, most issues are due to carbs...

There's new BSA....
.. luckily, future versions will be ELECTRIC!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2022, 11:41 AM   #97
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yes the future is electric because the government demands it... you won't be able to buy a gas powered bike in a few short years !
but the problem is the electric is not ready yet .. they have very short range
and no charging infrastructure ...people in the rural areas are going to be screwed when they have to drive 45 miles one way and have to re charge to make it home..... not to mention recharging is going to cost you alot more than a tank of gas would even now, at these high gas prices.....
electric is not ready. nore is the pocket book !
on the best of terms you could charge it at home in 8 hrs ....
but what about shipping ? you NEED big diesel trucks to do that not some wimpy electric mini truck like Tesla is so proud of ...
and to have the state pass a law that says no gas powered vehicles will be sold after a certain date is plane stupid... god help us !
Bob....

Old January 12th, 2022, 12:07 PM   #98
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

That's what they said about gasoline engines too when they 1st came out. Not as plentiful as hay/water for horses or wood/coal for steam engines.

Major break-through will be when Japanese bike-manufacturers develop standardised interchangeable battery-packs. They're working on that right now! Then you can just pull into service-station and swap packs and off you go.

Currently, EV in U.S. is pain-in-ass because of charging and NIH-syndrome. Can't even standardise on charging connector because everyone wants their system to be standard. In Europe & China, you can pull up to parking-metre at kerb and hook up to standardised charger (and pay for it same as parking).

Range is PIA as well. Tesla's spent all this time, energy and money on making their already-fast cars even faster! Who cares? Gimme double range for it to be more attractive. On way back from Prescott for Thanksgiving, we had to sit for 45-minutes while damn thing charged! Doubled time required for trip, next time I'm riding my bicycle!!!

Short range is actually attraction for me... sort of... I'm seriously thinking of building EV-track bike... target 250-lbs with 40-mile range. Using tiny, minimal battery-pack will let me get weight down. And making it swappable will let me have 2-3 extra packs in pits charging while I'm out on track. Then come in after each session and just swap packs and I'm ready to go!

EV is going to be savior of my favourite track, Laguna Seca! Damn all those yuppies and their McMansions next to track. I'm gonna organise Harley/cruiser group-ride through their neighborhoods next time I'm out there!!!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; January 12th, 2022 at 03:24 PM.

Old January 12th, 2022, 12:09 PM   #99
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Rural areas may have more difficulty with electric, but we have an electric car and husband has an electric motorcycle (which is his first choice of bikes, unless we're going a long way). Charging isn't more expensive than gas, and at least here in SoCal there are a *lot* of charging stations. We could probably do road trips, even with out 65-70 mile range car, (on a bike road trip we stop every hour anyway) given how many quick-charge stations are around. We don't, the other car is more comfortable for long trips, but it is possible. People do them with Teslas.

For our driving needs, charging at home overnight is almost always enough. Once in a while we will use a public charge station but it's not common. I will say it's nice to know that your car is fully charged every morning.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2022, 12:32 PM   #100
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
yes the future is electric because the government demands it... you won't be able to buy a gas powered bike in a few short years !
but the problem is the electric is not ready yet .. they have very short range
and no charging infrastructure ...people in the rural areas are going to be screwed when they have to drive 45 miles one way and have to re charge to make it home..... not to mention recharging is going to cost you alot more than a tank of gas would even now, at these high gas prices.....
electric is not ready. nore is the pocket book !
on the best of terms you could charge it at home in 8 hrs ....
but what about shipping ? you NEED big diesel trucks to do that not some wimpy electric mini truck like Tesla is so proud of ...
and to have the state pass a law that says no gas powered vehicles will be sold after a certain date is plane stupid... god help us !
Bob....
That a Calif thing not everyone else
Beside we'll all be hoarding our bike parts
Psss BoB I'll let you on a dirty little secret they already got semi electric trucks but the range is about 150miles tops god help you if you ever break down you're gonna need call on Mighty Mo Wrecker "Holmes 750 Wrecker" to come get them

Old January 12th, 2022, 01:37 PM   #101
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Very interesting indeed so some of you actually have Electric vehicles ! that a good thing actually as you won't be caught in the rush to get one in the future !
.... Yes long range on bikes is not mandatory as I have to get off anyway and give my butt a break... and the bike could be charging while I grab a bite to eat
but quick charging is a necessity..... not just a want !
I think in 20 years for a substantial amount of money you will be able to buy self recharging batteries and assemble your own battery pack that will be capable of thousands of miles at a time.... however most people will not be able to afford it ! and if the neucular battery ever gets off the ground that will make EV's the way to go. but at present I can't see it myself.
I stopped by Walmarts "Charging station" one time and for a 30 minute charge they would charge your credit card $50.00 !!!! How is that cheaper than gasoline ? so it would cost me nothing to go there and shop ( as I would charge it at home) but $50.00 to get home.... EVERY TRIP ! at present I can get there and back 3 times (perhaps 4 times) on $40.00 of gasoline in the Honda CRV.... the thought of paying that much every trip is scary .
I see in the future it is possible that the private sector like the power company will set up Tesla towers and broadcast electricity which will be the way to go.... but it will be costly. it's possible but unlikely, even the state might do that and just raise your taxes to a outlandish amount to pay for it !
but that is in the far future and we will have to take dealing with the transition ourselves.
to get along without gasoline is do able with the internal combustion engine
you can go 100% Hydroxy gas or wood gas or bio-gas i.e. alcohol and such
so running out of gasoline is not the end of the world.... and we have a few decades before that happens anyway....

20 years from now I think alot of people will be in a world of hurt because of transportation... and many will choose the horse and buggy !
LOL...
Bob......

Old January 12th, 2022, 02:02 PM   #102
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Seriously... steam is the way to go ! use wood pellets for the fuel and a small double action steam engine and your good to go.....
Makes me wonder if I could convert the Honda CRV to steam ! LOL
....i could make the steam engine on the lathe build the boiler to fit the back of the car and make a automatic feeder for the pellets....
.... but I think that's a bigger project than I want to tackle I'd need a truck for that to be practical .... HAHAHAHAH !
there has been a few steam motorcycles built over the years most had short range but they did work.... one carried his boiler and all in a trailer !
you can use ANY fuel that burns in a steam engine from diesel to wood to peat.
.... if you think forest fires are rampant now wait till steam engines get on the road again ! LOL Like "But I don't want that forestry approved screen on there it slows down the draft ! " HAHAHAHA
Bob....

Old January 12th, 2022, 02:13 PM   #103
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

A electric car with a generator in the trunk that you can pull out and charge your car is the way to go.... problem is that generator takes gasoline too so what have you gained ? ....
anyway.... back to this guys problems I've hijacked it long enough ! with my foolishness ! LOL....

Bob......

Old January 12th, 2022, 03:27 PM   #104
DannoXYZ

Due to extra conversion steps: gas to electricity, electricity to battery, battery to motor, you've got extra losses compared to gasoline direct-drive.

In S.F. Bay Area with high cost of electricity, EV costs same per mile as gas auto getting 30mpg.

Now that I'm in Phoenix area, electricity costs lots less (SRP has nuclear power-plant), but it still cost equivalent to 45-mpg auto per mile.

That's just variable operating costs too, not including initial fixed cost of installing 220v line and chargers in your garage. Free public charging has been decreasing availability every year with costs going way up.

Until they make entire EV system more efficient, best deal is still Prius hybrid @55mpg with generator in frunk.

Old January 12th, 2022, 03:36 PM   #105
DannoXYZ

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

He's missing coolant hose. Thought extra loose vacuum hose might have been swapped onto carbs. But nope, from photos, it appears all vacuum hoses on carbs are correct. Idiot mechanic probably left it on bench somewhere.

Old January 13th, 2022, 11:44 PM   #106
SuspectPage3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

He's missing coolant hose. Thought extra loose vacuum hose might have been swapped onto carbs. But nope, from photos, it appears all vacuum hoses on carbs are correct. Idiot mechanic probably left it on bench somewhere.
I guess he's f****d up and lost that hose. If I were to swap to one of the other hoses, or use the one from tank overflow thing (the one that goes from front left tank corner all the way from left side of engine pointing to ground connected to nothing) will that work,
I didn't want to risk it and cause more harm than good,
What do you think, if not, I'll order one as per shspvr mentioned and wait for it to deliver.

Also, I'm guessing the one in picture attached, doesn't connect to anything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220114_174319.jpg (58.9 KB, 7 views)

Old January 14th, 2022, 01:28 AM   #107
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

that's where I would steal hose from if it was me ! vent hoses are the first to go on my property ! LOL
Bob.......

Old January 14th, 2022, 03:45 AM   #108
SuspectPage3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
that's where I would steal hose from if it was me ! vent hoses are the first to go on my property ! LOL
Bob.......
Thanks Bob, I wanted to do that at start, but wasn't sure if that hose would take the steam and hot coolant flow.
But good to know, let me try that tomorrow morning and I'll see what happens. Apart from that hose bit, do you reckon all is well and the bike should be good to go after that?

Thanks!

Old January 14th, 2022, 05:32 AM   #109
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I guess he's f****d up and lost that hose. If I were to swap to one of the other hoses, or use the one from tank overflow thing (the one that goes from front left tank corner all the way from left side of engine pointing to ground connected to nothing) will that work,
I didn't want to risk it and cause more harm than good,
What do you think, if not, I'll order one as per shspvr mentioned and wait for it to deliver.

Also, I'm guessing the one in picture attached, doesn't connect to anything?
Yes you should order that specific hose because not only does it need to be made for hot coolant it also need be rated for pressure too without bursting, Because I have seen auto mechanics replace Chevy LS steam crossover vent tube with regular vacuum hose only to only end up bursting after 6 mos.
That correct that just the radiator overflow vent for the expansion tank hose it is usually routed down between the frame in back of the engine just in front of swing arm
Just pick a reg vacuum hose being it is not under any kind of pressure or continuous coolant flow for it, or you can just order the original part number 390620191.

Old January 14th, 2022, 02:14 PM   #110
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Better listen to Anthony on that....it may well not handle it....
but it shouldn't be that hard to replace later...and it's easy to use to see if the bike will actually run !
.......Bob.....

Old January 14th, 2022, 11:02 PM   #111
SuspectPage3
ninjette.org member

Alright, so, I went and got a connection hose as recommended above. Connected the two remaining things correctly and started the bike. The bike starts, idles perfectly fine for some time (until it's still cold and starting to warm up).
Now there are two issues:
1) I still can't open the throttle, cuz as soon as I do that, the bike dies. If I put the choke on, it will rev up naturally to 5-6k rpm. But any more throttle and it will die.
2) As soon as the bike is hot (left it running on the spot for 7-8mins) the coolant reservoir (white container thing on side) started to bubble up, looks like the hose from the radiator is sending hot air through the hose into the bottom of reservoir.
So I panicked and turned her off and I can't dare to start her up again. I've clearly connected a hose wrongly.
(See the attached for reference please)

Where did I mess up now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220115_171029.jpg (105.2 KB, 12 views)

Last futzed with by SuspectPage3; January 14th, 2022 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Adding image

Old January 15th, 2022, 12:02 AM   #112
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Alright, so, I went and got a connection hose as recommended above. Connected the two remaining things correctly and started the bike. The bike starts, idles perfectly fine for some time (until it's still cold and starting to warm up).
1) I still can't open the throttle, cuz as soon as I do that, the bike dies. If I put the on, it will rev up naturally to 5-6k rpm. But any more throttle and it will die.
2) As soon as the bike is hot (left it running on the spot for 7-8mins) the coolant reservoir (white container thing on side) started to bubble up, looks like the hose from the radiator is sending hot air through the hose into the bottom of reservoir.
So I panicked and turned her off and I can't dare to start her up again. I've clearly connected a hose wrongly.
(See the attached for reference please)

Where did I mess up now?
Tops off the radiator with coolant and refill the reservoir to the fill mark rerun the engine and just keep refill the reservoir in tell the radiator fan come on and do you still see a drop in coolant and are still seeing air bubble?, then just keep on add more coolant to reservoir if it is still dropping in coolant after the 3rd refill with radiator fan on in the reservoir then it most likely you got a blowen head gasket and that could be the reason for all air bubble and it could be why it was park if you got from someone else.

Here tip keep radiator cap off and start engine set the choke to on to keep rpm up you may see drop in coolant give it a minute then top it off, if need be, with coolant then put the radiator cap back on.
Oh, and used the choke to set rpm at least 3k

I'm sure you wonder why seeing air bubble because it gets trapped in the coolant passages if it ever got drain even a little bit, even that carburetor coolant hose to, now air can expand under heat causing it to make it way to the top of radiator and causing the cap to opens under greater pressure therefore making its way into the reservoir as steam and that's is the whole purpose of the overflow reservoir to draw coolant back into the radiator.

Quote:
I agree Anthony even though your typing is hard to follow <grin>
Bob......
Better BOB just my nick picking back :

Last futzed with by shspvr; January 15th, 2022 at 05:03 AM.

Old January 15th, 2022, 02:25 AM   #113
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I agree Anthony even though your typing is hard to follow <grin>
but please note DO NOT USE WATER ! it takes a 50/50 mix of antifreeze or engine coolant and water in these bikes for the cooling system to work. if it's got water alone in it , just drain it out and put in a 50/50 mixture in it.
you can't run just water in it ! the antifreeze has a wetting agent in it and helps the thing cool much better.... without it it will over heat !
Bob......

Old January 15th, 2022, 04:46 PM   #114
DannoXYZ

Quote:
1) I still can't open the throttle, cuz as soon as I do that, the bike dies. If I put the choke on, it will rev up naturally to 5-6k rpm. But any more throttle and it will die.
This is dirty/clogges pilot jet/circuit. Requires ultrasonic soaking, scrubbing with brushes using PEA solvents, flossing with wire, etc...

Quote:
Shouldn't be any air in cooling system. Refill resevoir and radiator, then heat-cycle it couple times to suck in fluid from resevoir into radiator.

If still bubbles and steam into resevoir, do compression-test. Also get testing kit to detect combustion gasses in your coolant.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 15th, 2022, 05:51 PM   #115
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I totally agree Danno the non reving is DIRTY CARBS !
....but for me the air in the coolant is a weird one as almost all my experience
has been with air cooled motorcycles not water cooled. so I can't help on this issue alot of the symptoms do point to a blown head gasket but i've only experienced that in cars and a few air cooled bikes... not motorcycles
I would get the carbs working right and then tackle the coolant problem
as a separate unrelated problem. it is more work that way but,
doing them both at once may well introduce more problems before you get it running perfect....
Bob.....

Old January 15th, 2022, 05:55 PM   #116
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I totally agree Danno the non reving is DIRTY CARBS !
....but for me the air in the coolant is a weird one as almost all my experience
has been with air cooled motorcycles not water cooled. so I can't help on this issue alot of the symptoms do point to a blown head gasket but i've only experienced that in cars and a few air cooled bikes... not motorcycles
I would get the carbs working right and then tackle the coolant problem
as a separate unrelated problem. it is more work that way but,
doing them both at once may well introduce more problems before you get it running perfect....
Bob.....
Bike are diff then car

Old January 15th, 2022, 06:21 PM   #117
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If still bubbles and steam into resevoir, do compression-test. Also get testing kit to detect combustion gasses in your coolant.
More common know as a Block Tester BT-500 Combustion Leak Test Kit.

Old January 15th, 2022, 08:38 PM   #118
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Looks like the pilot circuit with the 4 way split is causing yet another owner to have problems running the motor....
there has to be a sure fire way to clean that circuit but to date it's wire probes ,ultrasonic cleaning, soda blasting and down right attention to detail and PEA carb cleaner....and lets not forget compressed Air ! and you gott'a do it from all 4 of those out side holes toward the center which plugs the center with the crap you cleaned out so that takes more cleaning .... testing to see if carb cleaner comes out all the holes when sprayed into one does NOT tell you it's clean strangely enough ...it should, but that really only tells you some of the cleaner is getting through it does not tell you if the flow is restricted or not....
so the rule of thumb I've always followed doesn't work very good...
get all the plugged areas un plugged and sprey carb cleaner and see if it comes out all the passageways.... if it does your good to go... but not for these carbs ! the short section between the pilot jet and the intersection of the 3 other holes seems to be the culprit ! it is impossible to get a wire into
and getting pressure from a carb cleaner isn't very good either as it just goes out the other holes....
....i think a blast of 110lb compressed air directly into the pilot jet holder is the best bet for cleaning that short section.... but I did that and my carbs are still dirty....it's too lean at idle the pilot circuit is still partially plugged.
so as you can see cleaning the carbs on a ninja is troublesome at best...
your best option is take them off and send them to Ducattiman ! SERIOUSLY
as I have had my carbs off 3 times and their still not right
these carbs are HARD to clean !!!!
Bob.......

Old January 16th, 2022, 08:36 AM   #119
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Your message didn't post

Quote:
So, you mean I'm low on coolant and that's causing the steaming. Got that, I'm going to get coolant and top up as mentioned.
What about the second issue of not able to open throttle? Bike dies off as soon as I rev it up
1: Yes if you look at your own post 106 with photo which show the coolant level then if you look at your other post 111 photo the coolant level is right at very bottom of the reservoir
2: That is most likely carburetor problem as DannoXYZ posted, But I be more concerned about actually head gasket leak than carburetor right now.

Hey BoB must likely that not going to be an option for him as he lives in Australia well, I agree with you send to Gordon is next best thing for him being he know the Ninja Carburetor inside and out but I'm sure that going $180 to 225 round-trip + whatever Gordon needs, and its currency exchange rates and any other fee's.

Chinmay here are some options for you in your neck of the woods too look into.
https://www.thecarburetorguy.com/
and
http://finchrestorations.com.au/
I also check your local bike shop and ask about motorcycle carburetor specialist.

Also beware you should you attempt to do this yourself be sure to pay close attention to all the parts especially the Needle Jet Collar as there a right way and wrong way to install them to also Vacuum Slide Needle Jet Left, N9VU Needle Jet Right, N9VW have marking they need to be put in the right carburetor if have two small box's label them that way you don't get them mix up and pay close attention idle mixer screw and the number of turn going in to the close with each carburetor.

PEA solvents
WD-40 Specialist Throttle & Carb Cleaner Spray
Clean-R-Carb Carburetor Cleaner Spray
B-12 Chemtool Carburetor Cleaner Spray (My fav stuff)
Carb Carburetor Cleaner Cleaning Brushes Kit
Very small gauge copper wire
Air compressed is very used to use full MAX PSI out put

Also have look at this on removing the plug
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removi...re_screw_plugs
I also get a carb kit
Install a float needle and idle mixer parts

Last futzed with by shspvr; January 16th, 2022 at 10:15 AM.

Old January 16th, 2022, 09:43 AM   #120
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Quote"
1: Yes if you look at your own post 106 with photo which show the coolant level then if you look at your other post 111 photo the coolant level is right at very bottom of the reservoir
unQuote"

Very observant Anthony ! well done!
Yah being accross the pond is a problem with using Ducattiman .... darn it !
I was going to buy one small 6x16mm bolt for my RX4 as it lost one
the bolt was 50 cents the shipping was $20.00 !!!!
i didn't get it ! LOL

Bob....