ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old May 10th, 2024, 01:41 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - 2024 Yamaha XSR900 GP First Ride

Not available in the US, Yamaha’s XSR900 GP is a throwback to the heyday of two-stroke GP bikes with a modern four-stroke triple. We want one—bad.

Click here to view on their site.

Whether you are nostalgic or not, the 2024 XSR900 GP is an excellent sportbike. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)There are many ways to look at Yamaha’s striking new retro XSR900 GP. It can transport you back to the 1980s and 1990s when Yamaha’s Marlboro-liveried YZR500 V4 ruled the great two-stroke era of grand prix racing, or it might not. It depends on your age, how long you have loved everything on two wheels, and your interest in motorcycle racing history.

For those who lived and breathed sportbikes through the ‘80s, it’s impossible to separate the evocatively styled machine we see before us from the deeds of Eddie Lawson and Wayne Rainey, who, on their fiery red-and-white factory YZRs, delivered multiple world championships and the greatest decade or so in US racing history; and their nostalgia glands are truly activated.

Yamaha’s XSR00 GP is not available in the US. What a pity… (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)For those of slightly more tender years, any stirring of the soul is likely to be less pronounced, but still strong. For me at 48, the XSR triggers memories of a misspent teenage youth and a succession of FZs and FZRs and TZRs. All those fast and fine-handling Yamahas with the same signature flat-top gas tank and YZR500-derived styling.

Either way, such is the power and execution of the XSR900 GP’s retro styling, it’s pretty easy to foresee some heavy traffic heading, cash in hand, to Yamaha showrooms soon, the buying decision made on looks alone.

We should stress, however, that this bike is much more than just a styling exercise to stir the emotions of riders who remember when Sean Connery was Bond and you had to use a paybox to make a call. Yamaha has taken the excellence of the base XSR900 “Sports Heritage” triple and blended it with some hot tech from the Yamaha MT-09 and MT-09 SP sport nakeds to produce what the Japanese manufacturer hopes will be something special.

The XSR900 GP shares its CP3 inline-triple with other Yamaha models. Yamaha claims it makes 117 hp. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)So does it work? Is the XSR a superficial styling exercise or a potent fusion of the past and present? Just for the record, this writer’s old FZ600 had a choke while the new XSR900 GP has Bluetooth, something you only experienced after eating a blue ice lolly back in the ‘90s. You can probably sense the eagerness to find out. We headed to Portugal to try the new XSR900 GP on the road, followed by a spin around Estoril, the famous old GP track on the Iberian west coast.

Retro Styling, Modern Underpinnings

We normally start a new model road test by describing engine performance or a new chassis setup, but with the XSR900 GP we have to begin with its looks and nostalgic appeal. Some may argue that it’s just a dressed-up XSR900, but Yamaha has added some loving touches to give it a rich retro feel. The top fairing, for example, is secured with good old fairing stays and racy R-clips and wears the distinctive hand guards of the legendary YZR too. The digital dash has an analog theme, drilled fork caps look spot-on for the ‘80s and, from its flat tank—complete with distinctive sculpted knee pockets—to boxy rear single-seat cover, the overall effect is convincingly YZR500. Unlike the old grand prix racer, though, the single-seat is removable and neat fold-down pillion pegs are just like the XSR900?s!

Retro styling abounds on the XSR900 GP. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)The Deltabox-style frame has an authentic period finish, and even the alloy “spin-forged” wheels come with holes in the hubs just like the ones I had on my Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP. I would have preferred twin round headlights over the standard single compact light, but others will appreciate the uncluttered yellow nose, which replicates the yellow number boards carried by 500cc grand prix bikes. Some might also miss a conventional exhaust and end can (though there is a factory option), but the Marlboro branding is faultlessly on point. Devoid of any actual Marlboro lettering, the look is reminiscent of the very early 1990s when certain countries banned explicit cigarette advertising at their grand prix. In fact, the XSR GP is so retro I felt out of place in full airbag race leathers and wished instead that I’d dragged out my old jacket, jeans, and 1992 Iron Maiden T-shirt for the ride ahead.

Yamaha nailed the retro GP styling on the XSR900 GP. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)When you throw a leg over the GP for the first time, it’s a little strange. You feel a wave of nostalgia, memories of Rainey, Lawson, and John Kocinski flooding back, but then you’re greeted by a thoroughly modern 5-inch dash and switch gear, including cruise control as standard. This equipment isn’t lifted from the base XSR: It’s all new for the GP. There’s even a neat five-way joystick and strange seesaw indicator switch.

Just past the retro fairing stay is a full modern TFT dash. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)There are now three riding standard modes—Sport, Street, and Rain—plus two custom maps. Within those modes, the XSR GP has four power modes (PWR); three levels of traction control (TCS 1-3); Yamaha’s Slide Control System (SCS) with three settings; wheelie control (LIF) also with three levels; cornering ABS, which can be turned off; Yamaha’s adjustable Quick Shifter System (QSS) with two settings as well as off; and the new Brake Slip Regulator (BSR), which is always on. These are all linked to a six-axis IMU, meaning everything is lean sensitive.

All this might look complicated but isn’t. I opted for either Sport or Street mode with the LIF (wheelie control) removed for obvious reasons—and because Eddie and Wayne never had that stuff. Quite unusually, when you remove the wheelie control it’s switched off in all riding modes, including Rain, and remains off when you turn the bike off and on again.

Riding Impressions

Leaving Yamaha’s HQ hotel and entering the coastal route along the Portuguese coast, it was immediately apparent the GP is more radical than the standard XSR, as your bodyweight is positioned much further forward. The clip-on style bars are 93mm (3.7 inches) forward and 114mm (4.5 inches) lower, the seat 12mm (0.5 inch) forward and 27mm (1.1 inches) higher, with the pegs higher by 26mm (1 inch) and rearward by 26mm. The resultant stance is certainly sportier than the base XSR but well balanced and still mindful of day-to-day riding. Yamaha says the bars, which are mounted above the yokes, are higher and less radical than the R7 and nothing as racy as an R6 or FZR400RR SP. However, as a short rider, I did notice the taller seat compared to the standard XSR.

While sportier than the nakeds it’s based on, the XSR900 GP is still a reasonably comfortable street mount. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)For those initial miles ridden at low and legal speeds, the softer and smoother throttle response of Street mode is preferred over the more aggressive Sport mode. Yamaha has a habit of making its sport throttle response a little too harsh and, later, on the racetrack, Street is still the answer.

As we made our way to Estoril, there was the odd occasion where we could let the triple sing. The third-generation QSS quickshifter is slickly effortless and as crisply set up as any racebike’s, which allows you to quickly throw gears at the triple as it accelerates hard. The Euro 5+ compliant, 890cc CP3 inline-triple makes a claimed 68.6 lb.-ft. of torque at 7,000 rpm and 117 hp at 10,000 rpm, which feels like the perfect balance on the road for this type of bike. Ride its torque curve through the midrange and the GP retro delivers instantaneous response and drive. It is urgent, strong, and quick. Alternatively, tuck in behind the sporty screen, chin kissing the tank like you are Steady Eddie back in 1986, hold onto each gear as rpm builds and the power flows. The exhaust may look odd and sound a little muted but a lovely induction noise from the airbox adds vital bark and character.

Yamaha’s CP3 motor is highly praised for its combination of power, torque, sound, and character—it’s a sweetly blended engine that works well in every road scenario imaginable. Never too much but always full of energy, it can hold its own on the racetrack too, and it is nigh impossible not to have fun when the throttle working this particular triple. That said, while the CP3-powered MT-09 and XSR900 are both fantastic wheelie bikes, the GP is less lively in this department, mainly due to more weight being over the front with a longer wheelbase.

Yamaha says the XSR900 GP is not a sportbike, could have fooled us. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)Yamaha is claiming the GP isn’t a sportbike but has nonetheless given it higher-grade KYB suspension than its base XSR stablemate. Now both ends are fully adjustable, with both high- and low-speed compression damping on tap. Due to that new weight distribution, the front end is a little stiffer and the rear softer, while the latest Bridgestone S23 rubber, a single-compound version of the sport tire developed in partnership with Yamaha, hugs lightweight aluminum spin-forged wheels.

It feels up for fun—poised but easygoing—while the racy imagery of the GP encourages you to attack corners, knee slider down and hunting for apexes. Initially, the suspension setup was a little firm as the fork wasn’t as plush as on the base XSR, but on a closed stretch of road that allowed us to push the chassis harder, the KYB units worked with effortless control and gave great feedback. Bridgestone’s S23 rubber warms up quickly and gives confidence-inspiring edge grip and feel.

The 900 GP isn’t razor sharp like, say, the R6; instead it’s much more planted, stable, and easier to ride. Yamaha quote its wet weight at 441 pounds, 14 more than the unfaired XSR, but its weight is carried well, and despite the headstock position being 5mm (0.2 inch) higher and trail being increased from 107mm (4.2 inches) to 110mm (4.3 inches), the steering feels very similar as the bag-of-fun XSR. Certainly, you’d have to ride the two bikes back to back to notice any difference.

We didn’t get full laps of Estoril, but we did get the opportunity to play on track in safety zones for pictures. This meant taking its long, final, fourth-gear corner high in the revs, pegs almost touching the historic racetrack. Even when you start pushing the limits of both the GP’s chassis and the grip of the Bridgestones, it’s apparent that there is more to come. This retro racer will excel on twisty race circuits, carrying swathes of natural corner speed and using its spread of torque, supported by its full complement of lean-sensitive rider aids to harass peakier supersport 600s. Fit some track day race rubber, tweak the fully adjustable suspension to save the pegs, and away you go.

It’s easy to imagine you are Eddie Lawson tucked behind the windscreen. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)Yamaha hasn’t massively overhauled the brakes. There’s a new 16mm Brembo radial master cylinder, but the 298mm front discs and four-piston calipers remain. Their performance is hard to fault on the road and perfectly matches the easy-but-sporty attitude of the GP. On the track, jumping on the stoppers from high speed to zero reveals the unobtrusive ABS does work. You can’t turn off the ABS, but you can remove its lean-sensitive functionality, but why would you ever want to? Yamaha has added a new Brake Slip Regulator to stop the rear from locking under braking but we would have needed some fast laps of Estoril to test it in a meaningful way. It is worth noting, though, that the GP is incredibly stable on the brakes, which is also probably due to its relatively long wheelbase.

The brakes on the XSR900 GP haven’t been upgraded like the suspension, but there is no need for that. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)Leaving the track on (melted) rubber and heading onto the freeway highlighted the versatility of the new GP. With the standard-equipment cruise control activated it is a case of relaxing and churning out some miles. Yamaha installed a phone under the seat for the test to allow full map navigation via the Bluetooth connectivity. Meanwhile, the new switch gear makes it easy to flick between standard display and the full navigation.

Yamaha quotes a 47-mpg fuel economy. Given that we rode the GP abnormally hard at Estoril, coming away with a representative fuel economy figure of our own is not possible, but a base XSR900 we tested last year averaged close to 41.6 mpg. With a 3.7-gallon fuel tank you’re looking at a stop every 140 to 160 miles. Taller riders on test started to complain about the weight on their wrists after a long day in the saddle, while my more compact stature was comfortable throughout.

Taller riders might feel a bit cramped on the XSR900 GP. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)If I were to own a GP—and I have to admit, I am thinking how good it would look in my garage—I’d probably soften the fork a little, just to give it a plusher feel at normal road speeds. I’d also probably blow the family’s holiday fund on the optional Akrapovi? exhaust and tank protection, which looks neat, while giving the optional lower fairing a miss, as I prefer the raw, half-faired look (like my old FZ…).

Verdict

As you can probably tell, I have fallen for Yamaha’s new XSR900 GP and confidently predict that I will be one of many. It ticks all the right nostalgia boxes, brilliantly blends the analog past with the digital present, and fuels the common desire for a sporty and versatile road bike that can excel everywhere. The problem is, US riders can’t have one. At the moment, the XSR900 GP is only available in Europe and a few selected countries. Yes, the XSR900 GP, a machine that celebrates a grand prix motorcycle made famous by American riders, isn’t on sale in the USA—not yet.

As a UK-based journalist I was flabbergasted by this news. To me, the US market seems perfect for the GP given its connection with Lawson, Rainey, even Kenny Roberts, and the golden era of grand prix racing. Hopefully Yamaha USA will import a few bikes, and if you’re lucky enough to grab one, you are in for a treat.

Do you want to see the XSR900 GP sold in the US? That’s a rhetorical question; we already know the answer. (Yamaha/Ant Productions/)I might be a tad biased as I have such fond Yamaha-based memories from the 1990s. Certainly, some of my Suzuki-loving mates who had GSX-Rs and RGVs won’t give the Yamaha a second look. But even if the retro styling does nothing for you, the GP is still an excellent road bike. It combines the excellent qualities and rider aids of the MT-09 SP with the fun of the XSR900. OK, it’s not an RD500LC, but for a 2024 production bike it oozes history and character as well as performance—and I love it. Please Yamaha USA, can you import a few?

2024 Yamaha XSR900 GP Specs (Europe)

Engine:DOHC, liquid-cooled, inline three-cylinder; 12 valvesDisplacement:890ccBore x Stroke:78.0 x 62.1mmCompression Ratio:11.5:1Transmission/Final Drive:6-speed/chainClaimed Horsepower:117 hp @ 10,000 rpmClaimed Torque:68.6 lb.-ft. @ 7,000 rpmFuel System:Fuel injection w/ YCC-TClutch:Wet, multiplate slipper/assistEngine Management/Ignition:Transistor-controlled ignitionFrame:Control-filled die-cast aluminumFront Suspension:KYB 41mm USD fork; fully adjustable, 5.1 in. travelRear Suspension:KYB monoshock, preload and rebound adjustable; 5.2 in. travelFront Brake:4-piston calipers, dual 298mm discs w/ ABSRear Brake:1-piston caliper, 245mm disc w/ ABSWheels, Front/Rear:Spin-forged aluminum; 17 in.Tires, Front/Rear:120/70ZR-17 / 180/55ZR-17 (tubeless)Rake/Trail:25.3°/4.3 in.Wheelbase:59.1 in.Ground Clearance:5.7 in.Seat Height:32.9 in.Fuel Capacity:3.7 gal.Claimed Wet Weight:441 lb.Contact:yamaha-motor.eu