ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Before i start spending money - tire plugs

Rear tire picked up what appears to be a hair thin piece of metal...but enough to lose 14lbs in 150 miles.
Can mc tires be safely plugged ?
Have a kit for the car but...in 40+ years, I've never had a leak or flat on my bikes?
Experience ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #2
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Motorcycle tires can and often are plugged. I've ridden on a plugged tire myself.

Think about this; when a plug fails on your car you just have to deal with another flat. Do you really want to deal with a tire suddenly going flat on your bike if a plug fails?

A replacement tire for a 250 Ninja can be had for around $100. While it is a major pain to change it's cheap insurance compared to the downside of a plug job going bad.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #3
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Rear tire picked up what appears to be a hair thin piece of metal...but enough to lose 14lbs in 150 miles.
Can mc tires be safely plugged ?
Have a kit for the car but...in 40+ years, I've never had a leak or flat on my bikes?
Experience ?
picture?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
If it is a small hole can motorcycle tires be patched from the inside instead of using a plug?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #5
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

An interior patch is probably a safer way to do it than a plug, but depends maybe on the size of the puncture. Sometimes you can fix that with a patch without removing the wheel if you can deflate the tire and pop it off the rim and get to the area easily. Only tread areas can be repaired in any case, nothing on or approaching the sidewall. A rear tire is probably a little safer to repair than the front because if a front blows out suddenly at speed, you will get seriously hurt or dead, just maybe hurt if the rear goes. But usually tires just leak and don't suddenly blow. Many tire shops won't repair a motorcycle tire because of impending liability if there's ever a problem. You might be able to fix it adequately with a patch to prevent leaks if the puncture is small but obviously a new tire and all the expense is a safer way to go. Another way to repair it is to patch it and also put a tube inside. How much life do you think is left in that tire before it needs replacement anyway? And how much life do you think you have left?
So, yes it can be done. Is it the best way? No. Is it safe to do? It depends.
The whole thing is your judgment call based on the size and location of the puncture and how much damage is there to the tire. No one here can give you the answer you want to hear.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

It's your decision, go with what you are most comfortable with. But I've used a automobile tire plug kit for my bikes many times on rear tires. I've never had a puncture on the front but I would be ok with that too. If done properly the plug is secure. I've taken plugged tires until they are worn out with no problems at all. If you remove a tire that has been plugged you will see that the plug on the inside is many times larger than the hole. A blow out is unlikely and if it did it would just be a leak and likely manageable. Recently I plugged my FJR rear tire. Just came back from a 1800 mile trip with narry a drop in air pressure. Having said that side wall punctures require a tire change. Good luck in any case.
Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #7
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

If you go against getting a new tire, then I would opt for getting the tire plugged AND patched.

When I go on rides, I carry a "Stop and Go" plug kit. The kit is small and uses the mushroom type plugs. The kit also comes with little CO2 canisters for re-inflating your tire. It's small enough to fit under most passenger seats, although I carry mine in my tank bag.

I decided to pick one of these up after I was on a ride and another rider got a flat.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #8
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Thanks for ther input guys. I decided to get the stop n go kit and fix it myself....but...I didn't open the thread with the full story.....which is a "god was with me" story: Took out my FZ6 saturday for a run to PA...immediately noticed a little wiggle in the rear on a fast sweeper but figured it was just the extremely high winds we were having....ran the bike to PA on the highway at pretty high speed....stopped to buy something and my friend got to bragging about his portable flat fixing kit....OK John...lemme see the kit.
Puts the gauge on my rear tire...it reads 14lbs ( not the 14 i thought I lost...14 lbs)
FZ6 rear is supposed to run at 40 cold.....I was running at 14 hot. Well, made it back safe and sound but i will never ever again go out without checking my pressure and never ever again ride without a flat kit. Had i lost that much air on the 250... ??? What, I dunno, like i said....40 years never a leak...am I lucky or what ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #9
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Thanks for ther input guys. I decided to get the stop n go kit and fix it myself....but...I didn't open the thread with the full story.....which is a "god was with me" story: Took out my FZ6 saturday for a run to PA...immediately noticed a little wiggle in the rear on a fast sweeper but figured it was just the extremely high winds we were having....ran the bike to PA on the highway at pretty high speed....stopped to buy something and my friend got to bragging about his portable flat fixing kit....OK John...lemme see the kit.
Puts the gauge on my rear tire...it reads 14lbs ( not the 14 i thought I lost...14 lbs)
FZ6 rear is supposed to run at 40 cold.....I was running at 14 hot. Well, made it back safe and sound but i will never ever again go out without checking my pressure and never ever again ride without a flat kit. Had i lost that much air on the 250... ??? What, I dunno, like i said....40 years never a leak...am I lucky or what ?
That was good luck. But be safe. Pay the couple of extra bucks and get the tire patched rather than just plugged.

Old September 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

+1 on Stop n Go
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #11
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Plugs ONLY to get you off side of road. I got my rear kenda 671 for 50 bucks delivered, whats your peace of mind and safety worth? REPLACE tire ASAP everytime!

Old September 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Sailariel

I had never had to patch a tyre on my Ninja--patched a few on my Norton with tube type tyres. I carry a Stop n Go kit on the Ninja along with a 12V Compressor. This summer I encountered an H-D rider on the side of the road who was obviously distressed. He had obviously had a puncture and tried to get help, but his cell phone was dysfunctional. I stopped, and we chatted briefly. Turns out he had a puncture and was looking for a tow truck. I told him to push the bike forward slowly so that we could find the source of the puncture. Fortuitously it was a roofing nail right in the centre of the tyre. I marked the spot, and used the Stop n Go kit as directed. The mushroom plug went in as advertised. Asked him what he needed for tyre pressure and I pulled my Ninja next to his H-D, started the engine, and plugged in my 12V compressor. Got him up to pressure and he was good to go. It's a good system to carry. 12V compressors are cheap and work well. Mine uses the same plug the Battery Tender uses. We did create some good will, and this particular H-D Rider probably does not think that we "Rice Rockets" are that bad. I have to admit that he was totally blown away. At least I got a chance to test the Stop n Go system. I highly recommend it.

Old September 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #13
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

How much life do have left in your tire? If it's just about one replace it. If it is fairly new, plug it. As far as I know you shouldn't patch a tubeless bike tire. the way a bike tire is used (rolling motion side to side) works the patch loose. The same reason that you can't patch a sidewall on your car tire. Also depends on your riding style, if your commuting all the time. Plug is fine. If your Ricky Racer, replace it. Me I would be replacing it
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #14
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I'd been losing air in the front for a couple of months, and just in the last couple of days it was dropping to 10 psi in 8 hours. No wonder it was feeling a little squirrely on the way home from work every day. Decided to tackle the problem Sunday thinking maybe it was a loose valve core, but no, it was not one, but two punctures. Turned out I ran over a staple at some point in the past.

Found the two nibs sticking through the inside of the tire after I dismounted it, and applied a patch. Sadly, the patch didn't work because the inside of the tire had ribs that kept the patch from sitting flat. So, pulled out the plug kit and plugged both holes.

So far, 100 miles mostly highway and it's holding up fine. The tire's about 50% tread life remaining so I'm going to run it as is.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #15
b_eastep
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 07 Z-1000, 07 Ninja 250, 04 Honda Aero

its easy for people that can afford a new tire to say they would never plug a bike tire but for some of us its plug it or dont ride for a year. i have an old pirelli that i replaced 2 years ago because i picked up nail after only about 1k miles. now the tire i put on is worn smooth out so im to the point of putting the other one back on with a plug or not riding at all because i dont have $160 for a new one.
b_eastep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #16
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_eastep View Post
its easy for people that can afford a new tire to say they would never plug a bike tire but for some of us its plug it or dont ride for a year. i have an old pirelli that i replaced 2 years ago because i picked up nail after only about 1k miles. now the tire i put on is worn smooth out so im to the point of putting the other one back on with a plug or not riding at all because i dont have $160 for a new one.
If you are talking about a front tire, that's not a wise thing to do. You are right about not be able to ride at all, because if that tire fails, you may never ride (or walk) again. Your choice to do want you want, you may be sorry to try and save some money, it may cost you a lot more in the end.

And everyone realizes that you can patch or plug a tubeless tire and still put a tube inside of it. You have to make sure the tube stem will fit through the whole in the rim without rubbing or wearing, they are different sizes, but can be drilled out to make it fit if it doesn't. You can always put a tubeless tire on the rim with a tube inside.

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #17
b_eastep
ninjette.org member

no its a rear.

Old September 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #18
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I'd been losing air in the front for a couple of months, and just in the last couple of days it was dropping to 10 psi in 8 hours. No wonder it was feeling a little squirrely on the way home from work every day. Decided to tackle the problem Sunday thinking maybe it was a loose valve core, but no, it was not one, but two punctures. Turned out I ran over a staple at some point in the past.

Found the two nibs sticking through the inside of the tire after I dismounted it, and applied a patch. Sadly, the patch didn't work because the inside of the tire had ribs that kept the patch from sitting flat. So, pulled out the plug kit and plugged both holes.

So far, 100 miles mostly highway and it's holding up fine. The tire's about 50% tread life remaining so I'm going to run it as is.
You like to live dangerously, trying to save some money and possibly risk getting hurt for it.

Old September 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM   #19
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
If you go against getting a new tire, then I would opt for getting the tire plugged AND patched.

When I go on rides, I carry a "Stop and Go" plug kit. The kit is small and uses the mushroom type plugs. The kit also comes with little CO2 canisters for re-inflating your tire. It's small enough to fit under most passenger seats, although I carry mine in my tank bag.

I decided to pick one of these up after I was on a ride and another rider got a flat.
I've been meaning to grab one of these, such a great idea

Quote:
You can always put a tubeless tire on the rim with a tube inside.
now THAT is an interesting idea (I've replaced my rear tire TWICE so far... due to punctures)
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #20
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
You like to live dangerously, trying to save some money and possibly risk getting hurt for it.
How so? I think this fear of running repaired tires is as overblown as that surrounding slightly used helmets. I can tell now when my front tire is running low just by feel. I also know that the tire handled multiple trips at 70+ MPH highway speeds with less than 15psi just fine. When I pulled it the inner casing and carcass showed no signs of heat damage or effects, effects I'm familiar with based on several years of tire failure analysis for a nationwide chain of performance tire and equipment stores.

I researched for instances of front (or rear for that matter) tire failures, catastrophic or otherwise, that could in any way possibly be linked to repairs. What I found is that other than some third-party mentions of specific plug failures that only resulted in a flat tire again there just aren't any. I found lots of people warning about the possibility, but no actual failures. Not one. Based upon my experience in failure analysis and with this tire in particular I've concluded that my approach is both sound and safe. I do not consider a catastrophic failure of this repaired tire to be probable or likely in any sense of the words, at least not related to the repair. I could still run over something that would fail the tire, but that probability is independent of a repair-related failure.

This tire has accumulated over 14,000 miles in the last 15 months and I fully expect to get at least another 10k out of it. Safely.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #21
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

It may be relatively safe to do so, but I know with myself specifically, I would be more nervous around every corner with a tire repaired like that. (not trying to say it's bad/wrong or dangerous) just saying I wouldn't ride the same... I generally do the atgat thing, and the other day after installing shock n stuff I went for a quick ride around the block in a T shirt and jeeze was I nervous.

That being said, I still want a tire repair kit, for "incase-$hit" situations

Tires are supposed to be confidence inspiring!
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #22
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

The repaired tires do not suddenly "blow" out. They leak, usually slowly. So if they don't leak, and they should be checked frequently, then seemingly everything is OK.
And you can't plug AND patch a tire with any effectiveness because the mushroom head of the plug inside the tire prevents the patch from laying flat against the inner wall of the tire and won't glue on effectively. Some tires really can't be patched well because of radial ribs on the inner wall which may interfere with the gluing down and sealing of the patch.
If there is still plenty of good tread on a plugged tire, I would put a tube inside it just for the hell of it for extra insurance so I don't have to worry about it or fuss with it again.

Old September 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #23
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

The repaired tires do not suddenly "blow" out. They leak, usually slowly. So if they don't leak, and they should be checked frequently, then seemingly everything is OK.
And you can't plug AND patch a tire with any effectiveness because the mushroom head of the plug inside the tire prevents the patch from laying flat against the inner wall of the tire and won't glue on effectively. Some tires really can't be patched well because of radial ribs on the inner wall which may interfere with the gluing down and sealing of the patch.
If there is still plenty of good tread on a plugged tire, I would put a tube inside it just for the hell of it for extra insurance so I don't have to worry about it or fuss with it again.

Old September 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #24
kyl18b
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja EX250-F

It also depends on the location of the puncture. I had a nail in my back tire, but I chose to plug it because it was inside the tread, as opposed to exposed on the surface of the rubber.

Additionally, be sure that if you do it, that you do it correctly and meticulously. File out the hole, add rubber cement, cut the plug at a good length that it won't end up inside the tire, or stick to the pavement/fly out while riding.
kyl18b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #25
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I had never had to patch a tyre on my Ninja--patched a few on my Norton with tube type tyres. I carry a Stop n Go kit on the Ninja along with a 12V Compressor. This summer I encountered an H-D rider on the side of the road who was obviously distressed. He had obviously had a puncture and tried to get help, but his cell phone was dysfunctional. I stopped, and we chatted briefly. Turns out he had a puncture and was looking for a tow truck. I told him to push the bike forward slowly so that we could find the source of the puncture. Fortuitously it was a roofing nail right in the centre of the tyre. I marked the spot, and used the Stop n Go kit as directed. The mushroom plug went in as advertised. Asked him what he needed for tyre pressure and I pulled my Ninja next to his H-D, started the engine, and plugged in my 12V compressor. Got him up to pressure and he was good to go. It's a good system to carry. 12V compressors are cheap and work well. Mine uses the same plug the Battery Tender uses. We did create some good will, and this particular H-D Rider probably does not think that we "Rice Rockets" are that bad. I have to admit that he was totally blown away. At least I got a chance to test the Stop n Go system. I highly recommend it.
Great story. I didn't know that they had compressors that work with the Battery Tender wire. I'll have to look into that. What kind do you have?

My kit has the CO2 canisters which are small and seem to be convenient as far as space is concerned. I haven't had to use them yet so I don't know how well they work.

Old September 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #26
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

There's a 12v small compressor from Slime for $9.95 at Walmart small enough to fit below the seat or in a tank bag. You need a 12V outlet on the bike to plug it in or a clip on socket/outlet to connect to the battery and plug it in to that.

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #27
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
There's a 12v small compressor from Slime for $9.95 at Walmart small enough to fit below the seat or in a tank bag. You need a 12V outlet on the bike to plug it in or a clip on socket/outlet to connect to the battery and plug it in to that.
I've seen those before. I would be more interested in one that can connect to the battery tender cable though. That way I wouldn't have to install an outlet.

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #28
kkim

Quote:
I've seen those before. I would be more interested in one that can connect to the battery tender cable though. That way I wouldn't have to install an outlet.
you could always change the connector on the end of the compressor to match the one to the battery tender connection. I believe they are fairly common.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #29
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
you could always change the connector on the end of the compressor to match the one to the battery tender connection. I believe they are fairly common.
That's true. I'll have to look into that.

Old September 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #30
b_eastep
ninjette.org member

will also prob have to change the fuse in your tender plug since its like a 1.5 or 3a or something like that.

Old September 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #31
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

I too think a properly plugged tire (in the tread area) is a safe tire. As others have written the plug shouldn't cause tire failure, at worst it might have a slow leak. All the plugs I've installed have never leaked. Those little mushroom plugs are truely a temporary repair. Go to an auto parts store, buy a car tire repair kit with T handle for less than $10 and it will have the long sticky strips that provide an excellent plug. The air compresser is a good idea but I carry a CO2 bottle kit with extra bottles. They'll get you to a service station or home. I like to replace the CO2 with air because CO2 changes pressure more directly with temp changes. In any case do what you are most comfortable with and be happy. Ride on, Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #32
Sailariel

Quote:
Great story. I didn't know that they had compressors that work with the Battery Tender wire. I'll have to look into that. What kind do you have?

My kit has the CO2 canisters which are small and seem to be convenient as far as space is concerned. I haven't had to use them yet so I don't know how well they work.
My compressor is made by Slime and is available from Auto Zone. It comes with a 6' extension, 12V adaptor, pressure guage, and the same plug the Battery tender uses. Mine is hard wired in. I used the compressor on a car tyre that flatted so that the car could be driven to a Service Station. The compressor is $35 and comes in a semi-hard zippered case. They do give you a plug with two terminals and the appropriate fuse. You just swap out the plug.

Old September 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #33
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Walmart is much cheaper ($10), probably the same compressor. The battery clip to socket adapter is about $5 at Radio Shackif you just want to clip it to the battery terminals, or the battery tender plug adapter is about $3-4 at Autozone if you want to change from a regular 12 V plug to this type connector, or if you have to adapt it to the bike if you don't already have a 12V outlet or socket.
I made a length of cable with a battery tender plug on one end to attach to the battery, and a regular fused 12 V outlet on the other end so I could plug whatever I wanted into the outlet - good for the cell phone charger, GPS, air compressor, whatever.
When you say yours is hard wired in, I hope you mean the Battery Tender plug is attached permanently to the battery, not the compressor permanently wired in.