ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

trouble shifting between 2-6 gears

Hey guys, I need your help. I can shift into 1st, neutral and 2nd without much problem at all. When I go to shift between 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, or 5th to 6th, the gear won't engage. I have to back off the shifter just a bit and then try shifting into gear. It will almost always shift into gear on the 2nd try. Before, it was only happening between 3rd and 4th.

I did just install some rearset adjusters w/ my oem rearsets. Does that mean I've got the shift rod too long or too short? I've got the clutch pulled all the way in. Does the cable need adjusting?

Thanks!
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

When troubleshooting, almost always best to check the simple stuff and anything you've fiddled with recently (I've been reminded the hard way a few times)

I may be wrong, but think you've got a good lead checking the shift linkage...
I had a similar problem after pulling my front sprocket guard and not putting the shift lever back in the right position; gears just didn't wanna seem to engage until I tried it a couple times. I'd definitely check the shifter rod length and the orientation of the shift pedal. For alignment, there should be a small factory-made indent/punch spot on both the end of the splined shift rod coming out from the gearbox and the clamp that attaches the to it.

When was the last time you checked the adjustment on your clutch cable?

There's also a related/similar post or two that have people suggesting switching to synthetic oil, esp Shell Rotella T to solve the issue. What kind of oil are you using at the moment? Worth thinking about, but I'd definitely check the easier stuff first.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:41 PM   #3
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I went ahead and adjusted the shift lever. I had it set a bit low. I lengthened the rod a bit as well. I also tightened the clutch cable just a hair. It felt a little slack. I'll be able to report back on Monday when I have a chance to test ride it. The rains are starting here and will last all weekend.

I currently have Rotella-T in it. Thanks!

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I rode my bike to work today and it's all fixed! I feel it was a combination of the rod length and the shift lever not being high enough.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Huzzah! Glad that was it mate!

Keep flashing back to TheDuck's catastrophic transmission failure and hope I don't see another.