Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 25th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #1
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Name: Checho

Motorcycle(s): Harley Street 750

Pothole

Hi Guys,

The other day as I was riding home from work I hit a pothole and it damage both of the rims. Can I continue to ride like this or should I get them fixed or replace?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (93.0 KB, 6 views)
checho323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You need to get them both checked out. In some cases the rims can be straightened on their own, in other cases they need to be replaced. Our tires (like most modern tires) do not have tubes, and are kept inflated by a good seal from the rim to the tire. When they look like that, it doesn't take much for them to have a problem.

Depending on where the pothole was, you may be able to pursue the town, the county, or CalTrans for reimbursement.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #3
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You need to get them both checked out. In some cases the rims can be straightened on their own, in other cases they need to be replaced. Our tires (like most modern tires) do not have tubes, and are kept inflated by a good seal from the rim to the tire. When they look like that, it doesn't take much for them to have a problem.

Depending on where the pothole was, you may be able to pursue the town, the county, or CalTrans for reimbursement.
Well it was on L.A. city streets. I was thinking about that.

Thanks Alex.

Old December 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Just a suggestion, next time ride around pot holes. It looks like it must have been huge.

Old December 25th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #5
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

All the Southern Cali roads are torn up from all the rain we had... and go figure it's raining again. One of the roads by my apartment is closed because half of the road washed away. I also have 4 new potholes to dodge in my 2 mile trip to work.

Good luck getting the rim situation sorted out.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:

If you lose seal from the rim, you may have a sudden air pressure loss and could lose control.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Dang...that sucks man. Yeah, either try to get them fixed (though damage looks pretty bad) or buy some used rims.

Ever since this rain has hit Socal it's created more pothole than I have ever seen before. Just the other day I drove down to L.A. and ran over some two to three foot potholes. Had I driven my Civic I would have had a flat tire for sure. Luckily I was driving my truck.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #8
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Thats insane! I have never seen that on a bike before. How you managed to stay on bike or not ruin fork seals etc etc....wow

I would find some used rims. No way would I ride on that.

Old December 26th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Wow, they are bad. I would not ride until repaired or replaced. Glad your ok and didn't go down.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #10
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I'm not an expert, but I would say replace it.

I can't recall who it was, but a regular on this forum DID get his city to replace his rim after a similar incident. I'm no expert, but if the pothole is due to the current storm system, they may not be as responsible, but if it is due to a general lack of maintainance, you would have a stronger case IMO. You COULD use insurance, but there is always a cost associated with that. Your best option might be looking for a used rim in good condition, and see if the city will pay for it. Of course if you find out the city will pay for it before it is fixed, I would go for a new rim.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Wow. That one is a lot more severe than the one I had to take care of.
Quote:

Well, Alex, rims aren't light and I've had trouble finding a local place to do it. Even when I google for San Diego rim repair with "motorcycles" in the search query, I get places that say that they don't do motorcycles.

Funny... motorcycling is so huge in SD and yet I can't seem to find a local rim repair place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I'm not an expert, but I would say replace it.

I can't recall who it was, but a regular on this forum DID get his city to replace his rim after a similar incident. I'm no expert, but if the pothole is due to the current storm system, they may not be as responsible, but if it is due to a general lack of maintainance, you would have a stronger case IMO. You COULD use insurance, but there is always a cost associated with that. Your best option might be looking for a used rim in good condition, and see if the city will pay for it. Of course if you find out the city will pay for it before it is fixed, I would go for a new rim.
Actually, the city turned me down and I have to appeal it. From what I can tell, ever success story was after appeal, so it seems to be SOP. In fact, their rejection didn't even make sense. It basically said that they are not liable BECAUSE they are rejecting my claim, which makes no sense.

I had my front rim slashed and my rear dented again in a different incident:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58728
(links to two other incidents inside thread).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #12
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post

Actually, the city turned me down and I have to appeal it. From what I can tell, ever success story was after appeal, so it seems to be SOP. In fact, their rejection didn't even make sense. It basically said that they are not liable BECAUSE they are rejecting my claim, which makes no sense.
Well then, we shouldn't be paying our taxes, because they don't know how to spend it.... that is thinking they will undestand.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #13
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

On the rims, they're cast aluminum and cast usually won't bend back into place without cracking. The reason repair places won't fix it is because of just that. The liability cost to them if, or more likely when, the rim failed at the repair and sent you tumbling across rush hour traffic would be very, very expensive.

As to the claim, you may end up taking the city to small claims court. It's likely that just being served with a notice to appear in small claims court will produce a check, because the cost of assigning a lawyer to the case will be more expensive to them than just paying the claim. If you go that route don't forget to add the costs of the process to the claim amount.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #14
EddieNewYork
"Hey, That's My Bike"

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 88 Honda ZB50, 01 Honda Monkey, 07 CRF50, Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix Edition

Daum, I didn't know that could happen to us! I thought that only happens to low profile tires on cars, lol. Sorry for the wheels man. I would not ride that like that.
EddieNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #15
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

WOW!
Looks like you hit that pothole pretty hard and fast to flex the tire and get that kind of rim damage. What was the pressure like on your tires?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #16
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

eegad man! go around them suckers for now on

Old December 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #17
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
What was the pressure like on your tires?
That's what I'm wondering. Wouldn't try to straighten those and use them anymore-maybe find some used rims.

Old December 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #18
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Contact these guys and see if it is possible to get your rims straight.

http://www.thewheelwarehouse.com/mot...eelrepair.html

http://www.motorcyclewheelrepair.com/
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #19
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where a I can find use rims? I tried looking online but couldn't find anything.

I guess my only option is going to the dealer....

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #20
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Contact these guys and see if it is possible to get your rims straight.

http://www.thewheelwarehouse.com/mot...eelrepair.html

http://www.motorcyclewheelrepair.com/
Thank You for the info......

Old January 11th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #21
adamjenkum
ninjette.org member

Name: dweezel

Motorcycle(s): ninja250 68 triumphtiger

rims

try ebay, so many people lay down 250s and they write the bike off for insurance then the bike goes to a dismantler and gets sold on ebay, I paid less than 50 dollars for a rear rim for my pregen that had low miles a perfect rotor and a like new tire and perfect cush. the sprocket was still good too.

The bike salvage places rarely sell a bike complete they just part them out its the fastest way to make profit, and ebay just makes their job easyer.

you will probably spend roughly 100 dollars a rim/wheel for the newer 250 than the pregen.
adamjenkum is offline   Reply With Quote