rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #42
cobra94563
ninjette.org newbie

Name: cobra

Motorcycle(s): fz6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
I was able to spend some quality time with the FZ6R today, and explore other facets of the beast. The bike pulls effortlessly, never straining, in any gear, at any rpm. The engine and power delivery are silky smooth, yet there is a noticeable inrush of power at 7K rpm all the way to the redline. It feels a bit disconcerting at first, but not overwhelming. You can get used to it quite quickly, and get addicted to it. But, if one were to truly ride it in anger (or make newbie mistakes), that would bring accelerations and speeds that would be outright scary to inexperienced riders.

So, while the left half of tachometer is quite civilized, getting into the higher rpm range brings a silly grin to the face. Whereas Ninja accelerates nicely between 9K and 13K, but runs out of steam before long, going fast on an FZ6R is no sweat... If you like wringing it out, the Ninja will be done accelerating before you're satisfied, while wringing out the Yamaha will overwhelm the unexperienced rider. You can use the power judiciously, and still have fun. However, the bike is noticeably heavier and not as nimble as Ninja. And if you really want to eventually wring it out, there are better sportbikes, like CBR or R6 with far better handling.

The bike is awesome as commuter - speeds of 50, 60 or 75 on the highway are non-events, the bike feels much more stable than Ninja, and is happy to roll, with plenty of power on tap.
My sentiments also.

Hi - I had a 2009 250R for about a year and moved to a FZ6R about 2 months ago. The 250R - super easy and fun to ride in the streets, hills and back roads. But 20 years ago I was riding a 750, so I felt it was a little tame (comparatively) and buzzy at freeway speeds.

There are many opinions on comparing the FZ6R, 650R, SV650SF, R6, CBR, etc. I won't comment as people different have needs.

But pretty much Toly hit it on the head. It is noticeably heavier, and will not have the manuverability of a 250. But you get use to the weight after some riding. The power is much improved and smoother.

Actually, I like the looks of the 650R better, but went with engine (IMO).
After the fender eliminator, flush mounts, CBR mirrors, it looks much better.
I'm old(er) and not into track, so while I love the looks, the supersports weren't great choices.
cobra94563 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #43
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

I put a few more miles of both, back-to-back, and here is what IMHO it boils down to:

Ninja is a lot of fun under 50-60mph, then it starts running out of steam.

FZ6R is a lot of fun above 30-40 mph, where its heft is not very noticeable and handling is much improved.

Ninja is a lot of fun to drive slow. FZ6R is a lot of fun to drive fast.

Perhaps a supersport, such as CBR, can do it all. Can someone with supersport experience pls chime in on this one?
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #44
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I have an 08 R6....it is very very raw feeling, out of the 600's out their its the most race ready. Very fun in the twisties but it is VERY twitchy/razor sharp...like you think about turning and you already are...its not very comfortable, but after putting 4k on mine it feels natural to me. they are very dead on low end grunt but it has a very sudden rush of power up top almost like you just hit boost or something.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #45
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
I have an 08 R6....it is very very raw feeling, out of the 600's out their its the most race ready. Very fun in the twisties but it is VERY twitchy/razor sharp...like you think about turning and you already are...its not very comfortable, but after putting 4k on mine it feels natural to me. they are very dead on low end grunt but it has a very sudden rush of power up top almost like you just hit boost or something.
Completely different bike then what the OP is looking at. He is looking at the FZ6R, not the YZF-R6. Great info on the R6 though, good to know that about the bike. Also good to know (at least on the test ride I had) that the FZ6R isn't like that. It's much more subdued, a more mild mannered bike with some good oomph.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #46
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

R6 gets it's crazy power at about 6rpm right? Then the tach just flies...atleast that's what I heard.
I'm reaally stuck between zx6r, gixxer600 or R6, r6 would be the first to go ONLY because I have heard many times that it is the most "complicated/ technical" bike to drive which makes me think I'll get hurt more. gixxer is beatiful, but only the newer versions (old ones look great, but older zx6r better IMO) so I couldn't afford it, as for the 05-06 636's are MUCH more affordable, speaking anywhere from 4500-6000 I have seen decently used ones under 20XXXkm.

cbr600 are great bikes ive heard but yet again the newer ones are where my taste is at, but I can't afford one =[

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #47
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

More like 10k. Once you hit 10K it just goes berserk. take a look at this dyno graph

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
R6 gets it's crazy power at about 6rpm right? Then the tach just flies...atleast that's what I heard.
I'm reaally stuck between zx6r, gixxer600 or R6, r6 would be the first to go ONLY because I have heard many times that it is the most "complicated/ technical" bike to drive which makes me think I'll get hurt more. gixxer is beatiful, but only the newer versions (old ones look great, but older zx6r better IMO) so I couldn't afford it, as for the 05-06 636's are MUCH more affordable, speaking anywhere from 4500-6000 I have seen decently used ones under 20XXXkm.

cbr600 are great bikes ive heard but yet again the newer ones are where my taste is at, but I can't afford one =[
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19420Supersport-HP.JPG (224.6 KB, 19 views)
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #48
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Yes 10K and she pulls hard, 12K she pulls harder. Then you goto jail if your in any gear but first.
I cringe everytime I see a squid on a 600cc with or without a helmet go flying by. You know, they have no idea what the machine is capable of. They have no experience in highspeed manuvers. They think they are in control, and off they go. 130mph plus surrounded by cell phone yacking soccer moms in SUV's and minivans all just waiting to change lanes right in front of them.
Its death on 2 wheels for thrill seekers with no riding experience. I see at least 2-4 articles in the paper every week.
Be smart, or be a statistic. Your call.
As far as an FZ6R goes. I think I would go with a 650 kawi parallel or the suzuki v twin. 1/2 the cylinders half the matinence, same power.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote