ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Ordering gear today

So I get paid today and I am going to take a big chunk of that and get myself some gear because up till now I've been pretty squiddy (<- correct usage?)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...-solare-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...blacktop-shoes
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ybrid-x-gloves

What do you all think? Is mesh gear rubbish? Would I be safer in a t-shirt?

It gets pretty warm here and I cant quite afford full leathers just yet, so I figure these will cover the basics for now at least.
Archerzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

If it were me I'd go for full gantlet gloves and full boots with no laces...

Good luck...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
If it were me I'd go for full gantlet gloves and full boots with no laces...

Good luck...
I was looking at the full boots but these are cheaper and they are casual enough that I could pull them off a work if I needed to.

I will look into full gloves though.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
noobie
ninjette.org member

Name: me

Motorcycle(s): 250r

whats cheaper. leathers or hospital bill(+a lot of painnnn)?

get full perforated leather for a jacket. Doesn't have to be A* or any big name. check out Bilt, Tour Master, lower brand names.

For boots, get full boots, once again look at the lower brands. they're probably all better than just ankle boots/shoes.

gotta get full gauntlet boots, protect them wrists.
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #5
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Whatever you get, please take the time to post up your thoughts on the gear.

I'm such a gear junkie, I have all my riding gear (save for the pack that I want) and still shop through jackets, pants, gloves, etc.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobie View Post
whats cheaper. leathers or hospital bill(+a lot of painnnn)?
Everyone always uses that comparison. But I am fairly certain that my health insurance will make hospital bills cheaper than a full leathers, but I digress. For now I am going to go with the cheaper mesh for temperature reasons and they have to be better than the tshirt and jeans I have been wearing the past few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
Whatever you get, please take the time to post up your thoughts on the gear.
Will do

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #7
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

I'm not sure on that jacket..don't they say not to wear polyester because it'll melt to your skin in the event you go down?
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Pics of my mesh gear in a 50-55mph lowside:

Mesh gear is better than not wearing your leather jacket because it's too hot. I walked (or rode) away from the accident with no issues so my opinion is mesh gear is not rubbish.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Pics of my mesh gear in a 50-55mph lowside:

Mesh gear is better than not wearing your leather jacket because it's too hot. I walked (or rode) away from the accident with no issues so my opinion is mesh gear is not rubbish.
Awesome thanks for the response, what kind of injuries did you receive?

It does seem like mesh will offer adequate protection for at least one crash.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Cuongism

Yea, it's generally good for one crash so try not to crash often . No injuries at all, just random 3 dime size rashes.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #11
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

Makes me feel better about my mesh gear

Old May 27th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
My first gear purchase after I moved to hot weather about 7 months ago was the same as yours. Not the same brands, but a fairly inexpensive mesh jacket, a shortie mesh glove and high top motorcycle shoes. I thought I'd save a few bucks, gear up for hot weather, and try to get stuff that didn't make me look like a tool if I had to goto a store.

Well, now I don't use any of it. After a few months of daily commuting use, the cheap stuff was wearing out already, so they turned out not to be the value I thought they'd be. Also, during that time, I had one getoff and seeing a guy who I was riding behind die, and had the fear of God put into me. I'm wearing a full boot, longer gloves and a high quality jacket (and sometimes a full suit). They are all still very breathable/mesh, but they are much more protective, with woven ceramics, CEII armor, etc.

Not that you have to go this way, and not to downplay that you are making a major step up in protection. I just wish that I'd spent a few more bucks early on, and think that in 6 months or so you'll be forking out another $200 wishing you'd spent it up front. If you can get a full boot (maybe like the Sedici Laguna), an upgraded, longer glove (maybe like the Sedici Torino mesh) and a mesh jacket with some better protection (take a look at the REV'IT mesh jackets on sale right now at Revzilla), I think you may be happier in the long run and all of the suggestions I made are a very good value for quality offered.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I went much the same way Floyd did and you're thinking of (cheap mesh stuff) and agree 100% with his statement on buying quality upfront. I also don't even use my mesh stuff anymore as the stitching started to degrade quickly. The rain liner on my $80 Pilot/Yoshimura mesh jacket disintegrated before the end of that summer. The gloves are pretty much unusable due to 3 large gaps in the stitching.

I've since spent a bit more on perforated leather and some better mesh gear that gets all the use. Had a small get-off (~40mph b/c gravel in a turn) in my leather jacket & 3/4 gauntlet gloves. I have to look hard to find the scuffs and I know where they are.

The hospital may be able to repair a lot o' damage, but skin grafts are unsightly forever.

Just my

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #14
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Yea, it's generally good for one crash so try not to crash often . No injuries at all, just random 3 dime size rashes.

Couldn't help but to notice your shoes.I just got myself a pair about 2 weeks ago. Havnt got to use them, but I've been wondering how well they hold up crash wise. Seeing you had them on and went down, what'd you think? Lol don't mean to hijack the thread.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Cuongism

Oddly they still look brand new and weren't scuffed/scratched at all. I guess I was really lucky because I wasn't hurt at all. I really like the shoes too. Hope they work out for you

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #16
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Just a tip. If you're gonna ride a lot you'll save more in the long run if you get the "better stuff" now. asked me how I know. (I pretty much went with the cheaper one's too and now I'm trying to get the "much" better quality ones)

I also have a mesh jacket and I'm kinda worried how it's gonna hold-up on a crash. do you guys think that the http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ft-mesh-jacket will do a decent job?
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #17
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

i wouldnt necessarily get full gauntlet gloves
just leather gloves, be it short cuff, medium, or full gauntlet

mesh is fine, and better than a t-shirt
shift is closing down and all their gear has been marked down
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...t+Apparel+Sale

boots are preference, of course we strongly recommend a full length boot
but they arent practical for most of us
so you just have to find that boot that provides the protection you need with the comfort you want
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #18
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

Only mesh I would wear is the Motoport Air mesh Kevlar. 10x stronger and more abrasion restant than full race leather. Even cooler than regular mesh. They warranty it for 7 years and if you ever crash in it...send it in. If they can't repair it, you get a new one...for life. It gets dirty...throw it in the washing machine. Most armor coverage of any gear on the market. It isn't cheap, but there IS nothing that lasts longer or protects better...period.

Boots...full length. PERIOD. I have a friend...he rode for 25 years. Made one bad choice to ride in short boots. Crashed at 35 mph...nearly amputated his foot because no ankle protection. When he woke up in the E.R. They said they were going to take the foot off...he had to beg them to save it. They did...barely. 1.5 years later he is still undergoing surgeries. He lost his house because he can't work. He will never be able to ride again and is lucky to walk...barely. Tail bags hold shoes just fine. It takes a minute to change. Get full length GOOD boots and wear them every time.
Moldbuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #19
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

^^^^LOL, another kevin
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #20
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldbuster View Post
Only mesh I would wear is the Motoport Air mesh Kevlar. 10x stronger and more abrasion restant than full race leather. Even cooler than regular mesh. They warranty it for 7 years and if you ever crash in it...send it in. If they can't repair it, you get a new one...for life. It gets dirty...throw it in the washing machine. Most armor coverage of any gear on the market. It isn't cheap, but there IS nothing that lasts longer or protects better...period.
Living in the tropics, cool weather gear is really important to me, but I disagree that Motoport is the only safe option for mesh gear. Motoport is great stuff, no argument there, but there are other excellent jackets out there with mesh. Buying a jacket that uses Dynex brand mesh (it doesn't have PVC in it and wont melt with friction) with high quality abrasion resistance, good stitching and armor will provide good protection in a getoff. Many of the higher quality mesh jackets will use woven ceramic (also better abrasion resistance than leather) or 1000D cordura (think aerostich type abrasion resistance - will do the job very well). As one example among many, the REV'IT Turbine mesh jacket uses CE level 2 armor throughout and a mix of dynex mesh, 1000D cordura and woven ceramic - it is pretty much bomb proof.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #21
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Living in the tropics, cool weather gear is really important to me, but I disagree that Motoport is the only safe option for mesh gear. Motoport is great stuff, no argument there, but there are other excellent jackets out there with mesh. Buying a jacket that uses Dynex brand mesh (it doesn't have PVC in it and wont melt with friction) with high quality abrasion resistance, good stitching and armor will provide good protection in a getoff. Many of the higher quality mesh jackets will use woven ceramic (also better abrasion resistance than leather) or 1000D cordura (think aerostich type abrasion resistance - will do the job very well). As one example among many, the REV'IT Turbine mesh jacket uses CE level 2 armor throughout and a mix of dynex mesh, 1000D cordura and woven ceramic - it is pretty much bomb proof.
Aerostitch is 500D Cordura, and it doesn't breath well at all...I had one. They are furnaces. 500D isn't as good as leather. From their website... Though Aerostich suits are not as abrasion resistant as racing leathers, they offer significant and useful protection, especially at typical street speeds. 1000D cordura is good stuff, equivalent in strength and abrasion resistance to full race leather. Motoport also makes 1000D Cordura gear, but it is 12x weaker than Air Mesh Kevlar which explains why the Kevlar is mich more expensive.

This brings two important factors into play which put me onboard with Motoport. The first is the Lifetime replacement guarantee. Crash in it, send it in. If they can't fix it, you get a new one free. This guarantees my investment will stay usable. Second is custom sizing. You send them your measurements, the gear comes sized to your body. This makes a HUGE difference in the fit and feel on the bike. If you've had custom clothing made for you, you know that nothing feels as right. Then add in all the options to choose from to make it work best for your individual needs. Want extra pockets? Done. Custom colors? Done. Longer or shorter length? Check. Zipper to attach to pants? Heavier armor? Yup. Leatt neck brace fitment? Da. Safety info pocket? Si. Plus they can alter it so my investment isn't lost if I gain...or in the case of the last few months...lose weight. My investment isn't down the tubes.

The Rev-It turbine definitely looks to be better than most mesh gear, no question about it. The ceramic is supposed to 5 times the abrasion resistance of leather, but it is only used in very limited areas versus pretty much having the entire garment made from ultra strong, ultra high abrasion resistant material. Then add in the other intangibles. Take the higher strength of the entire garment because it is prettymuch all Kevlar mesh, the lifetime fix it or it is free warranty, and custom sizing and fitment included...take all those into account and at about the same price you can see why the Motoport is the one I recommend and own. It is the difference between a mass produced item which is pretty darned good.... and a custom tailored, custom made piece of safety gear which is the best.

Old May 29th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #22
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Agree that motoport is great stuff. For the record, Aerostich uses 1050 denier on the shoulder, elbow, knee and shin, and has a very long track record of holding up extremely well in high speed crashes. (See Roadcrafter Features). As an aside Aerostitch seems to deliberately prefer cordura over kevlar. But it isn't mesh.

We're going off thread here, but a good one piece mesh suit is the Teiz Mojave. It has 1680D material on the impact zones and dynex mesh in the non-critical bits, also has CEII armor. (And is a full one-piece suit for only $369.) Not to say it would be better than a full Motoport outfit, just that there are other very good options that will also protect you well in a crash that don't involve Motoport's outstanding kevlar mesh.

Old May 29th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #23
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Gloves - I just purchased these last night. I haven't had a chance to ride in them, though I have worn them already several times just walking around the house and they feel great. My reasons for buying them, even though I have a vented gauntlet are these: 1) They will still be cooler in the extreme heat of July and August than the vented gauntlets; 2) They are considerably quicker to take on and off, which is a plus for commuting and especially running errands; 3) My friends don't have to wait as long for me to get my gear back on after we stop somewhere (I am definitely the safety advocate of the group).

Jacket - I bought this jacket last year when I purchased my 250. I hadn't researched it yet. I simply needed a decent jacket that was inexpensive at the time, and I have always liked the brand. It won't be as much protection as a full leather jacket or the Motoport offerings, but it is going to be comparable to anything out there in its price range. I love it. I have had it for a year and after 6,000+ miles of riding, the only thing wrong with it is the white mesh now looks dingy.

The jacket fits well and it is cool even in 100 degree temperatures so long as you are moving. It flows air very well. Remember, even a mesh jacket will make you hot sitting in traffic. The wind liner allows me to ride in 40 degree weather for short nine mile trips to work, no problem. YMMV on that one as I prefer the colder weather.

As far as protection, I haven't tested it, and I hope I never do. With that said, the armor is placed well, and it doesn't move on me at all. It is very comfortable and I have taken the armor out and played around with it. I have no doubt it will provide solid impact resistance should I need it.

It feels good in a standard or sport riding position. There is plenty of flex in the stretch panels. I move around on the bike quite often and I forget I even have a jacket on.

Boots - These are the boots I have. I love them. They fit well. They are actually pretty damn comfortable. And most importantly, I have every confidence that they will protect my feet in the event of a crash.

I will admit, though, that they don't work well under work slacks, and I can't tuck in the slacks lest they get wrinkled on the way in to work. So I have been wearing tennis shoes as other than the boots, they are the next best thing I have.

I have been looking for a boot that I could use all the time and simply walk around in as well. After being unimpressed with the Icon Super Duty 4, and impressed but left wanting for more from the S-MX 2, I decided to start looking into an all-purpose, all-weather boot that could easily fit under my slacks, and still be casual looking enough for wearing in public. I haven't found exactly what I want yet, but the boots are out there. Here are good examples of the type of boot I am looking for.

I hope my rambling is of some use to you.

Old May 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #24
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Agree that motoport is great stuff. For the record, Aerostich uses 1050 denier on the shoulder, elbow, knee and shin, and has a very long track record of holding up extremely well in high speed crashes. (See Roadcrafter Features). As an aside Aerostitch seems to deliberately prefer cordura over kevlar. But it isn't mesh.

We're going off thread here, but a good one piece mesh suit is the Teiz Mojave. It has 1680D material on the impact zones and dynex mesh in the non-critical bits, also has CEII armor. (And is a full one-piece suit for only $369.) Not to say it would be better than a full Motoport outfit, just that there are other very good options that will also protect you well in a crash that don't involve Motoport's outstanding kevlar mesh.
The Aerostitch does hold up fairly well...I've crashed one, it had a failure but overall did well. Hot weather gear it ain't! You cook in them. If they switched to higher D material in some zones (specifically one that failed on me), good on them. Kevlar vs Cordura...they are correct. Pure Kevlar is inferior. It must be woven with other materials to get the strength. That makes for a very expensive material. That material is inherently the best, but less accessible to people because it is bloody expensive. Motoport makes a version of the Ultra Trek out of pure 1000D Cordura for less money. I do recommend it.

The Teiz...now that is one I will look into, particularly if it is custom made. I'd prefer the entire suit to be made fron ultra strong stuff Happy with my GP-1 and my Ultra Trek...but people ask for recommendations.

Old May 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #25
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Ok so I ordered my gear just now and here is what I decided to go with

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ft-mesh-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...l-street-shoes
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shift-fury-gloves

Pants will come a little later for now I really wanted to get my hands and ankles covered as they feel naked while riding and tucking my laces in was growing annoying. I will post my thoughts and reviews on the gear after I get them and get a chance to take a ride in them, hopefully I measured the sizes properly.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

Old May 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #26
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Green/Black/White Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerzz View Post
Ok so I ordered my gear just now and here is what I decided to go with

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ft-mesh-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...l-street-shoes
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shift-fury-gloves

Pants will come a little later for now I really wanted to get my hands and ankles covered as they feel naked while riding and tucking my laces in was growing annoying. I will post my thoughts and reviews on the gear after I get them and get a chance to take a ride in them, hopefully I measured the sizes properly.

Thanks for all your help and advice!
That's great you got all the deals on that Shift stuff!
Little_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #27
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Those shoes will not protect your feet from serious injury. There is a reason every experienced serious sport bike RIDER will tell you to wear full length dedicated motorcycle boots. Hopefully you won't learn the hard way, but know that if you do, just realize there is a chance you won't ever walk again. Yeah, it can be that serious. Ask my buddy who is a year and a half from his 35 MPH wreck and is still undergoing skin grafts and surgeries. Shoes are for walking, motorcycle boots are for riding a motorcycle.

Gloves...you will see alot of guys recommend full gauntlet gloves. Why?
Because in a crash, you never know where you hit or how you will slide.mif you slide ass first, the gloves are going to be dragged along. Full gauntlets are more likely to stay on and protect your wrists.

Don't take me wrong...wearing any gear is better than no gear, but understannd that there are reasons and experience behind safety gear design and realize the compromises ou make in your safety when you choose to not go with full gear. Oh, and get pants quickly...they hit the ground too and besides your feet are the most likely things to be caught between asphalt moving at 60MPH and a 360 lb hunk of metal with burning hot parts on it.

Old May 30th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #28
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Those shoes will not protect your feet from serious injury. There is a reason every experienced serious sport bike RIDER will tell you to wear full length dedicated motorcycle boots. Hopefully you won't learn the hard way, but know that if you do, just realize there is a chance you won't ever walk again. Yeah, it can be that serious. Ask my buddy who is a year and a half from his 35 MPH wreck and is still undergoing skin grafts and surgeries. Shoes are for walking, motorcycle boots are for riding a motorcycle.

Gloves...you will see alot of guys recommend full gauntlet gloves. Why?
Because in a crash, you never know where you hit or how you will slide.mif you slide ass first, the gloves are going to be dragged along. Full gauntlets are more likely to stay on and protect your wrists.

Don't take me wrong...wearing any gear is better than no gear, but understannd that there are reasons and experience behind safety gear design and realize the compromises ou make in your safety when you choose to not go with full gear. Oh, and get pants quickly...they hit the ground too and besides your feet are the most likely things to be caught between asphalt moving at 60MPH and a 360 lb hunk of metal with burning hot parts on it.
Thanks for the info, and I am fully aware of the trade-offs and limitations of the gear that I purchased, but for what I am using my bike for I just don't see the need to look like I am going to the track to race when I am just riding down to the corner for a gallon of milk or out cruising the back roads on a hot day.

As for the pants I am looking into getting something that I can wear over work pants and ones that I can put on and ride around all day in (commuting vs leisure) That's why I didn't get the pants yet.

Old May 30th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #29
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Most accidents happen close to home in a car and on a bike...

Just be safe...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #30
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
Most accidents happen close to home in a car and on a bike...

Just be safe...
Always, and I figure the gear I ordered is better than the hiking shoes and t-shirt I'm wearing now...

Old May 30th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #31
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

You are aware of the limitations...but have you truly considered the consequences? You don't "see the need" and there in lies the crux of the issue. When you DO see the need, it is likely to be a very VERY painful realization. It is impossible for somebody who has not experienced an off bike excursion to have any concept of just how fast, violent and farkin insanely painful it can be. There is not a rider alive today who has has gone down that regrets buying and wearing full gear. They regret NOT doing so, you see it time and time again on the forums. Is it inconvenient? Yup. But if you want convenient, get a cage. Motorcycles are inconvenient..period. Is it hotter? Depends on the gear. Is it more money? Usually. If you go all out like me, oh HELL YES!

After 3 decades riding and plenty of pavement and dirt samples ...plus knowing many who have been hurt, debilatated and killed, I've graduated from enthusiast to full blown Safety Tzar. I wear a full Motoport Kevlar oversuit and have a 1 piece Kevlar setup for enthusiastic riding. Both happen to be very VERY cool...to the point of frickin' freezing if I don't wear something thermal below 65 degrees. I wear full Race boots and $250 race gauntlet gloves. All this to ride 3 miles for Saturday breakfast. In that 3 miles I am going 35-45 mph on the street...with cold tires. That is when you are likely to go down. Takes me about 4 minutes to get the oversuit rig on. I look like I am ready to go to battle...which I AM. I am at war with blind morons on cell phones in SUVs, the slippery demon who dwells in the dark corner, and asphalt which wants to peel my skin off my body given the chance. If people think I look strange, that is their problem, not mine. You look much stranger after skin grafts. Blood is not a fashion statement.

It cost me a crapload of money to buy top of the line gear. I have as much into it my gear as my bike cost. But balance that against what it would cost me if I went down wearing something far less protective... which I've done before. Trust me, it is worth it. The last asphalt sample I took which involved water, sand and a liter bike took 2 MONTHS to heal. Cost a hell of a lot more in medical and income losses than the current gear did.

You are free to wear what you want...but just ask yourself if you can truly afford NOT to wear the gear recommended by every single experienced, mature sportbike rider, instructor and racer.

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #32
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:

You are free to wear what you want...but just ask yourself if you can truly afford NOT to wear the gear recommended by every single experienced, mature sportbike rider, instructor and racer.
As I said earlier this is mostly a starting point for me as I don't have the money to get the full protective gear. I just want to cover the high impact zones to start with, but I do what to get full leathers later this year or early next spring. (probably for former due end of season sales maybe). But I would love suggestions for full gauntlet gloves, and full boots, as well as everything else. So please any gear suggestions keep them coming!

In the next few weeks I plan on getting a EXO-700 helmet, the one I am using right now came with my friends bike so its used and I just don't completely trust it, and I cant borrow it forever.

Old May 30th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #33
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerzz View Post
As I said earlier this is mostly a starting point for me as I don't have the money to get the full protective gear. I just want to cover the high impact zones to start with, but I do what to get full leathers later this year or early next spring. (probably for former due end of season sales maybe). But I would love suggestions for full gauntlet gloves, and full boots, as well as everything else. So please any gear suggestions keep them coming!

In the next few weeks I plan on getting a EXO-700 helmet, the one I am using right now came with my friends bike so its used and I just don't completely trust it, and I cant borrow it forever.
Hey, budget is important. So...lets start with your feet. Scan down a couple of threads and you will find a review in the Bilt Trackstar boots. Full length boots, actually built in the same factory as Alpinestars. $69 per pair. Definitely more protective than the shoes...saved you $30 and about $525,000 in medical bills (that is what my buddy is up to). If you can't return the Shoes for a refund, see below...

Gloves...Depending on your budget...
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com has the Cortech Injector on closeout for $39. They have the Techik Violators for $89. Both are decent entry level gloves for street use. Scorpion EXO Magnum at CycleGear dot com for $79 and their house brand Sedici (slightly better than their other house brand Bilt) Monza, also for $79. Revzilla has the Alpinestars SP-8 if you can't get a refund on the shoes...maybe they will exchange them if they haven't been worn. If the shoes haven't shipped yet...see if they will cancel the order.

Helmet...if you aren't comfortable with the helmet you ride now...don't ride. Your inner voice is telling you something...listen. Head injuries are NOT something to fark with. If you ever feel like you shouldn't ride or don't feel comfortable...listen to that little voice. I've been geared up with the bike running and had that nagging feeling...I shut it down, changed and took the cage.

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:49 AM   #34
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

i think the bilt trackstar boots is up to $130 again. but i might be wrong
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:02 AM   #35
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Just got my Alpinestar boots Friday. I feel much more relieved knowing my feet and ankles are better protected. Gear is Def expensive but totally worth it. There were soooo many squids out this weekend. It was bad. Even the passengers on the back just as bad. Kind of scary.....

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:46 AM   #36
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
i think the bilt trackstar boots is up to $130 again. but i might be wrong
Just checked...they are now $99. You could always call them and see if they will honor the price. If not, $30 more is still worth it.

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:57 AM   #37
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon76 View Post
Just got my Alpinestar boots Friday. I feel much more relieved knowing my feet and ankles are better protected. Gear is Def expensive but totally worth it. There were soooo many squids out this weekend. It was bad. Even the passengers on the back just as bad. Kind of scary.....
That is an important point...when you have on good, full gear it removes a layer of concern from your mind. You relax more and ride better, more confidently. Squids who won't listen are removed from the rider gene pool thru natural selection and thru predation by the SUV.

Old May 31st, 2011, 08:17 AM   #38
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I missed replying on this in time, but I want to go ahead and comment, depending on your tolerance for heat, there is some solid leather gear out there for hot weather.

I've taken my perforated Dainese Alien(700$) jacket out into 90 degree 75% humidity weather, and been comfortable while moving at 15+mph. I took it out at 95 degrees and had to start pushing 45mph to stay comfy. I will move into a Mesh jacket when temps hit about 100+ degrees here.

The jacket is expensive, but is very durable and should take more than a few spills. I really like the chest plate you can add to it, which covers almost my entire rib cage. It doesn't cut back the air flow either.

Now, growing up in The South, I have an incredibly high tolerance for heat, so I may not be the best sample for leather gear in PA, but just FYI.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 08:36 AM   #39
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
That is an important point...when you have on good, full gear it removes a layer of concern from your mind. You relax more and ride better, more confidently. Squids who won't listen are removed from the rider gene pool thru natural selection and thru predation by the SUV.
Good Point! LOL...

Next purchase is a good leather but for now only have a textile but I guess its better than nothing. It was just all too much to get at once.

Seriously though, the girls on the back were in flip flop, tank and shorts.. Can you say DEATH wish?!?!?