ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Removing and checking terminals?

Does anyone more electrically inclined know what kind of tool or method I would have to use to remove these terminals from their housing without damaging them:

I'm hoping to pull them so I can at least make sure they all still look secure and free of any corrosion since I'm having issues with it right now.

I had been having minor trouble with the connection there for a while, having my bike occasionally just not get any power or immediately loose all power the moment I tried to turn it on, but as soon as I jiggled that wire a bit, it would turn over no problem and be fine for the rest of the day.

But when I was riding it on friday, it suddenly was actually messing me up WHILE riding, and almost everytime I tried to roll on the throttle, my tachometer would start jumping all over the place and the bike kept trying to shut itself down mid corner on the track. I managed to get it to run for about two 20 minute sessions early in the day by wrapping the connector in electrical tape, but the vibrations quickly brought my bike right back to being unridable and I was struggling with it for the rest of the day.

I used this as an excuse to upgrade my battery, which should have just finished charging, but I know that there's something there that also needs to be dealt with. If anyone has any advice or suggestions at all before I give up and hand it over to a mechanic, I would be eternally grateful.

Man, great time in the pits and at least I got two good sessions in, but between my overly eventful drive up and my bike not working most the day, this was not a great weekend for me at all T_T
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Those pins should just be stuck into the plastic holder. I would try and pull them out from the back with a long skinny pair of needle nose individually. They shouldn't be glued in there or anything, usually multi pin connectors like that are just pushed in there.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Most terminals are designed so they just dont pull out of the connector. Most have a little metal tab or bump to hold them in place. If you believe your are having connection problems there, you can slightly bend the tabs on the fuse to ensure contact with terminal. Spray a little corrosion cleaner there and on your battery terminals and you should be good. Also check the wiki. Most electrical problems start with the battery. Even the slightest looseness on a terminal can cause the tach to act crazy, lights to flicker, etc.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Most terminals are designed so they just dont pull out of the connector. Most have a little metal tab or bump to hold them in place. If you believe your are having connection problems there, you can slightly bend the tabs on the fuse to ensure contact with terminal. Spray a little corrosion cleaner there and on your battery terminals and you should be good. Also check the wiki. Most electrical problems start with the battery. Even the slightest looseness on a terminal can cause the tach to act crazy, lights to flicker, etc.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery
No looseness in the battery terminals, but my battery was, indeed, dying/now quite dead. My bike's an '09 and was still running off the original battery, so it's probably realistically got 3 years on it already and was about due for a replacement anyways. I guess this was a good excuse to shave off a considerable amount of weight with a little lithium battery. And here I thought I was finally done paying for upgrades- touche, little ninja. Touche <_<

And yeah, I figured they'd be secured in their somehow, so I didn't want to do any manhandling of wires without a solid confirmation. Not sure if I have anything handy that can fit in that little slot with the terminals. It's starting strong and effortlessly and I can rev it fine without any erratic behavior in neutral right now, but I'm still not confident in that connector just because my bike ran perfectly for a brief moment after taping it up, and I've had to finagle with it a bit before to get any power at all. I can't test it definitively until my next trackday since there's nothing street legal left on my ninja, but I'll try the corrosion cleaner and give it a shot as is with the fresh battery and hope this fixed the problem. If I still have issues, I'll give some subtle bending a shot and/or grudgingly suck up my pride and ask for some in person help.

Many, many, many thanks
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I would offer to come over and help, but i know how scared you are of me :-p

Have you looked at the connections for the ignition coils up front on the front radiator subframe? A loose connection there could easily throw off one of your cylimders and could keep it from starting. If it was sparking it could confuse the tach as well.