ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 19th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

Exclamation March 2012

Today is March 19th and Central New York is enjoying the second consecutive week of mid-day temperatures over 70 and sunshine punctuated by only the occasional shower. That's not necessarily good news for riders.

Motorcyclist are on the road in unprecedented numbers for March, more typical for May. Couple that with 1) the same number of cars and trucks driven by people who have not seen motorcycles on the road for the past four months and aren't expecting to see them this soon and 2) motorcyclist who haven't been on the road in four months... and we have tragedies.

Rt. 49 runs east-west along the north shore of Oneida Lake in CNY. The road is popular with motorcyclists. It also is a route with two notoriously dangerous intersections and one locally infamous, deadly curve. Yesterday, a motorcyclist broadsided a crew cab turning left off 49 east onto Whig Hill road. The motorcyclist and his passenger were declared dead at the scene.

This horrendous scene was repeated again today. Another truck turning left onto Whig Hill, another two motorcyclist downed.

Please, everyone, be focused out there. There are times when you are invisible to another vehicle operator, whether a truck, car, motorcycle, bicyclist, or pedestrian.

If you reside in a "seasonal" riding state like New York, develop a set of strategies early season riding. When we make it through May our chances greatly increase for seeing another one.

Please:

1. AGATT
2. Drivers haven't seen you on the road for months. Some will not see you and turn left or stop short in front of you, tailgate you, or cut you off too much of the time.
3. Ride with awareness all the time.
4. Read articles from time to time that will build your skills. Print or in-line. Motorcyclist, Cycle World, Rider, and many other sources are available.
5. Make time for practice.

Nothing here you haven't heard before.

Just a plea to live.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I don't have the same problems here in Georgia where the weather is fine for year-round riding, but good reminders for every time you ride.

Even when motorists are accustomed to seeing riders, they don't always see them. As a rider, you ALWAYS have to YIELD. At least if you value all of your parts and your life.

Old March 20th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Cover the horn approaching any junction

I had some jackass look straight through me & proceed to pull out in-front of me yesterday. I let off 2 beeps as I rolled off & braked which got his attention. If I wasn't covering the horn he would have been in my lane before braking.

I'd rather come across as rude on my bike than be polite and under it
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Cover the horn approaching any junction

I had some jackass look straight through me & proceed to pull out in-front of me yesterday. I let off 2 beeps as I rolled off & braked which got his attention. If I wasn't covering the horn he would have been in my lane before braking.

I'd rather come across as rude on my bike than be polite and under it
Screw the horn. Just concentrate on braking. I heard you should always cross an intersection at 30mph, as you can stop so quick.

I'm an upstate New Yorker, and am glad the weathers like this! Just got my dirt bike and can't wait to ride it haha

Old March 21st, 2012, 12:42 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Something like 8 consecutive days if 85-degree weather in GA. They say that's a March record and each individual day was also a record temp. The pollen is covering EVERYTHING!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:04 AM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Something like 8 consecutive days if 85-degree weather in GA. They say that's a March record and each individual day was also a record temp. The pollen is covering EVERYTHING!
Is it really humid there as well?

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post

Pretty much the same here in Memphis. It is so weird. We hit another record high yesterday. It broke a +100 year record. But I am not complaining. Just worried this summer is going to be really hot.

And the pollen is not as terrible as it was last week. But everything is yellow/green.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:33 AM   #8
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Screw the horn. Just concentrate on braking.
And that's how to
Make the other driver aware of your presence, if you just brake yourself & they see you too late they stop directly in your path, you've then to come off the brakes & swerve to avoid them or end up T-boning them with brakes on full. (you have about 2 seconds to react & complete the evasive move, try this reaction timer to see if you've got what it takes)

It becomes second nature to cover the horn, you literally move your thumb about an inch and still have the other hand covering the brake. A quick blast usually causes the other driver to brake before they get into your path.

Quote:
I heard you should always cross an intersection at 30mph, as you can stop so quick.
That goes against all advanced training advice, take up an appropriate position to see any approaching vehicles, have your speed, gear & revs in the range where you can accelerate / engine brake if needs be, cover the horn.

Dropping to 30 on a 60 road is asking for someone to rear end you, or attempt a dangerous overtake (especially at a junction) meaning you have to watch out for idiots all around you, not just in front of you.
If someone drops pace approaching a junction the assumption is that they're turning off.

Get yourself some advanced training, you sound like an accident waiting to happen
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Is it really humid there as well?
It was but we've been begging for rain since the pollen started almost two weeks ago and haven't gotten any relief (pollen count was almost 10,000 yesterday - a new record). That means it has been getting steadily more dry, but it still felt really humid for quite a while after that storm from a few weeks ago (same one that killed all those people in Indiana).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Pretty much the same here in Memphis. It is so weird. We hit another record high yesterday. It broke a +100 year record. But I am not complaining. Just worried this summer is going to be really hot.

And the pollen is not as terrible as it was last week. But everything is yellow/green.
I'm not allergic but I'm finding it impossible to clean anything. I had my blue rims off the bike and cleaned them. Before I finished cleaning the second one, the first one was almost completely covered in yellow again!

I hosed them off and put them indoors until I could take them to a dealer for a tire change. When I got them home, they were covered in pollen AGAIN just from those quick jaunts to and from the car.

My dogs don't even want to go out there to breathe that stuff. WAY beyond ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
And that's how to
Make the other driver aware of your presence, if you just brake yourself & they see you too late they stop directly in your path, you've then to come off the brakes & swerve to avoid them or end up T-boning them with brakes on full. (you have about 2 seconds to react & complete the evasive move, try this reaction timer to see if you've got what it takes)

It becomes second nature to cover the horn, you literally move your thumb about an inch and still have the other hand covering the brake. A quick blast usually causes the other driver to brake before they get into your path.

That goes against all advanced training advice, take up an appropriate position to see any approaching vehicles, have your speed, gear & revs in the range where you can accelerate / engine brake if needs be, cover the horn.

Dropping to 30 on a 60 road is asking for someone to rear end you, or attempt a dangerous overtake (especially at a junction) meaning you have to watch out for idiots all around you, not just in front of you.
If someone drops pace approaching a junction the assumption is that they're turning off.

Get yourself some advanced training, you sound like an accident waiting to happen
He's probably talking about a car because he doesn't ride on the street.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote