ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
DownByFive
@TwoWheelsDC

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Fair weather riders semi-rant

Okay, so I've only been riding since October, but I commuted all winter on my motorcycle, even in 20s and 30s temps. Even with the nice weather the last couple weeks, there hasnt been a dramatic increase in bikes in my work parking lot...a few more, but nothing crazy. But today, motorcycle parking was almost entirely full, and there are like 50 spots (the garage layout lends itself to having a lot of motorcycle parking)! So I had to try and find a spot and wedge my bike in and walk quite a bit further than usual...

I know it's not a huge deal, but I can't help but be a little judgmental of the riders that only pull their bikes out of storage for a couple months out of the year. I guess, to me, it just perpetuates the myth that bikes are just toys and shouldn't be taken seriously as a form of transportation. What kind of also irritated me was that 75% of the bikes were cruisers (mostly HDs) and most the riders I saw were wearing skid lids and jeans and duck walking like crazy.

Okay sorry, I'll shut up now.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:07 PM   #2
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Bleh. I know what you mean. I stop riding beginning of winter for safety reasons (I don't wanna ride in snow! ), but last year that was the first of december. I re-insured in feb, and have been riding ever since! Twoish month's off isn't terrible.

But yea, you only ever see those dudes out on nice days.
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

maybe everyone doesnt want to drive to work in freezing cold temps?

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #4
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

I felt the exact same thing about a week ago! There are squids all over! :| Also, I went for the heated gloves option to stay afloat this winter because I was out a lot at night.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

I just about could have rode all winter here in MN. The only problem is that when we get 1/2 inch of snow the plows dump I swear a million tons of salt on the roads.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Umm, try riding in NE Ohio in the snowbelt. then get back to me on complaining about people who ride an open-air two-wheeled vehicle in the sunshine instead of 20 degrees and snow
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #7
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I've been riding almost daily since last Feb (even in some light snow.. eep!) whether it was 5 degrees or 95 degrees.

The same situation happens around my town (it's a college town). Parking becomes extremely difficult from around April- August. It honestly doesn't bother me that some people only use their motorcycle as a "toy" and not primary vehicle as it seems to make sense for many people's situations.

It would bother me if they said motorcycles COULDN'T be used as primary vehicles and it bothers me that nearly all the people around my town are squids pulling wheelies and doing 4x the speed limit. Just makes us look bad.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #8
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Same thing at college. I ride year round, rain or shine, and when it rains I have the parking almost to myself. Once the weather gets nice though, its a huge pain trying to get in and out if you can find a spot at all. I agree about the cruisers too, I have nothing against them except they take up so much room in the already too small lots we have. Once I was running late and there was a test and the lot was completely full (mostly cruisers), some person just pulled out of a regular spot (probably the only available spot in the entire lot) so I took it. I got a $45 fine because it wasn't a designated motorcycle spot. I wouldn't have been so pissed about the BS rule if it weren't for the fact that if you park a car there without a parking pass its only a $20 fine.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:16 PM   #9
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Well, I ride a bike because it's fun, and when it's cold, I'm not having fun. So I did ride through the winter, trying to save some gas and parking permit money, but with that experience under my belt, I can safely say, I'd rather not. It just turned riding into a chore, getting all dressed up for the cold, having to peel all that clothes off when I got to work, etc.
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM   #10
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I respect that not everyone wants to ride in the cold sol some choose to ride spring-summer-fall and leave it in the winter, I personally HATE THE COLD but I love riding more than I hate the cold so I ride year round. I don't respect treating bikes like they're toys however, treat em like that and they'll kill you. As for the parking issue, well, thats just life unfortunately. Do cagers bitch in the winter about the added cars? Who knows, I actually like seeing more bikes around though.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #11
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

This past winter in the mid atlantic was very mild. Anyone who has lived in this area for the past decade knows that what we just had for winter was uncommon, hence, you were able to ride all through November until now.

With that being said, I like riding on fair weather days. As a matter of fact, I dont ride in the rain or the cold. Whats the point. Im riding to enjoy myself not because its my only mode of transportation.

As riding season approaches in DC, you might want to get up earlier so you can get a better parking spot. If thats too much then.

burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #12
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Umm, try riding in NE Ohio in the snowbelt. then get back to me on complaining about people who ride an open-air two-wheeled vehicle in the sunshine instead of 20 degrees and snow
There was plenty of sunshine here in the winter

On another note, with these:

and with my non-mesh jacket(with some underlining on the colder nights),

I was pretty toasty

Old March 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #13
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
There was plenty of sunshine here in the winter

On another note, with these: and with my non-mesh jacket(with some underlining on the colder nights),

I was pretty toasty
thank god for that sun!!!

touche. but still, that requires me to spend more money and time to go spend more time doing something that I don't want to do, which is freeze.

Not to mention, between snow, or salt, I'm afraid to just dump the bike.

I'll ride a bicycle in the snow, but not my ninja
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #14
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Driving in cold temps isn't for many.
I'll do it only if i have to, but it isnt enjoyable, they are more of a seasonal sport...

Old March 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #15
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

Snow is for taking your Subaru and making pretty snow art with it.

Link to original page on YouTube.

miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #16
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

My friend blew up his tranny doing that in his WRX:\

I'm a cold weather person, I'm already missing it. My lack of mesh jacket is already making me sweat like a pig.

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #17
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

At least they ride. And at least when they don't ride, there are that many more drivers on the road that are aware of riders, most of whom hold riders in high regard and have a lot of respect for them.

I say the same thing about bicycles, I ride both two wheeled insanities nearly year round, but there are some days I'd just rather ride my bicycle for warmth than the motorcycle. In fact, I think the most I've gone without riding the motorcycle is 3 weeks for being out of the country.

EDIT: Didn't finish that statement. I see bicycles pop up whenever the weather here hits 70 degrees. They clog the bike racks with their rust beaters, and I end up locking to a tree or a light post, but hey; at least they're riding!

And to add: At least in theory, having an increase in motorcycle riders slightly decreases your chance of getting hit!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownByFive View Post
Okay, so I've only been riding since October, but I commuted all winter on my motorcycle, even in 20s and 30s temps. Even with the nice weather the last couple weeks, there hasnt been a dramatic increase in bikes in my work parking lot...a few more, but nothing crazy. But today, motorcycle parking was almost entirely full, and there are like 50 spots (the garage layout lends itself to having a lot of motorcycle parking)! So I had to try and find a spot and wedge my bike in and walk quite a bit further than usual...

I know it's not a huge deal, but I can't help but be a little judgmental of the riders that only pull their bikes out of storage for a couple months out of the year. I guess, to me, it just perpetuates the myth that bikes are just toys and shouldn't be taken seriously as a form of transportation. What kind of also irritated me was that 75% of the bikes were cruisers (mostly HDs) and most the riders I saw were wearing skid lids and jeans and duck walking like crazy.

Okay sorry, I'll shut up now.

QQ
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

I feel you. I ride year round, and can't imagine "winterizing" and ignoring my bike for months. It's tough in the dead of winter to convince myself to get on it, but I just suck it up, put on the warm gloves, and ride through the icy 65 degree weather.

Brrr....

Actually, I grew up in CT, and rode year round up there on ab old CB 450. Had my first drop because of ice. Cold weather sucks.

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #20
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I ride in the cold, but that's me. If someone else only wants to ride when the sun is out and the thermostat is above 60 degrees, then I really have no problem with that. We all enjoy our rides in different ways.

Hell, a week before I sold my 600, it was raining. I wanted to ride, so I thought, "What the hell, I'll go practice some threshold braking on wet roads." We all have our different ways of enjoying the bike. Let it go.

You wanna rant about a rider? Rant about the squids on SS's that couldn't make a 179 degree turn to save their lives. You know, the ones who wheelie every chance they get. The same ones hitting upwards of 150 on the interstate. The ones who weave in and out of traffic, making all riders look like douche bags in the process.

Old March 27th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #21
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I'm totally with you, Marc. I ride year 'round also, regardless of the season.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #22
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Deal with it. The "I was here first" attitude won't make you any friends.

Old March 27th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #23
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Here in SoCal we really don't have "winter"... but if I know it's going to rain or it's colder than 40 in the morning I'll drive. Believe me I'd rather ride... but not if it's going to make me miserable
Posted via Mobile Device
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #24
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Tell ya what cold weather riding is dangerous w/o proper gear, get the shivers and you can create your own tank slapper. So for that reason, I don't care if people 'fair weather ride' maybe they just can't purchase the extra gear needed.
After riding in this morning in >50* temps, I think I'll stick to car in those mornings and get the bike at lunch!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #25
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Tell ya what cold weather riding is dangerous w/o proper gear, get the shivers and you can create your own tank slapper. So for that reason, I don't care if people 'fair weather ride' maybe they just can't purchase the extra gear needed.
After riding in this morning in >50* temps, I think I'll stick to car in those mornings and get the bike at lunch!
In all fairness...if they didn't waste all of that money on their cages they could afford to buy plenty of proper riding gear
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #26
iBang
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

I'm worse than a fair weather rider, I'm a twisties only rider. Keep in mind I live in Houston, one of the worst cities for having to travel to get anywhere (I talk to people I know from other places and they don't want to go anywhere further than 10 minutes away... a 30 minute drive is about average in Houston for a short run and an hour isn't unreasonable) and the traffic is horrible.

That said, I bought a motorcycle for enjoyment, not risk. If I am going from point A to point B, I take a cage. There's too many damn idiots in SUV's on the phone trying to kill me to take my bike everywhere. In fact if I need to go more than an hour to get where I want to ride for fun, I trailer the bike there and ride. Its just easier and less stressful.
iBang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #27
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBang View Post
I'm worse than a fair weather rider, I'm a twisties only rider. Keep in mind I live in Houston, one of the worst cities for having to travel to get anywhere (I talk to people I know from other places and they don't want to go anywhere further than 10 minutes away... a 30 minute drive is about average in Houston for a short run and an hour isn't unreasonable) and the traffic is horrible.

That said, I bought a motorcycle for enjoyment, not risk. If I am going from point A to point B, I take a cage. There's too many damn idiots in SUV's on the phone trying to kill me to take my bike everywhere. In fact if I need to go more than an hour to get where I want to ride for fun, I trailer the bike there and ride. Its just easier and less stressful.
I take it you've never seen the California highway system...

Old March 27th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #28
iBang
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Not from the drivers seat!
iBang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #29
Business810
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2002 Monster 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
At least they ride. And at least when they don't ride, there are that many more drivers on the road that are aware of riders, most of whom hold riders in high regard and have a lot of respect for them.

I say the same thing about bicycles, I ride both two wheeled insanities nearly year round, but there are some days I'd just rather ride my bicycle for warmth than the motorcycle. In fact, I think the most I've gone without riding the motorcycle is 3 weeks for being out of the country.
I agree wholeheartedly. I ride bicycles more during the cold months because I stay so much warmer - though I'll still try to take a motorbike out here and there throughout the winter.
Business810 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #30
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Gotta admit...I'm a bit of a fair weather rider myself.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #31
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I don't ride in the rain or temps below like 50 degrees. I have a car with a heater so I might as well use it. And I really, really, really hate the cold! So I find no enjoyment in freezing my ass off on a motorcycle when I can be nice and warm in my car. That's just me. Anytime it is warmer than 50 I will happily take the bike. I also enjoy driving my car so yeah...
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #32
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
... what is duck walking? is that what you do after prison?

Old March 28th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #33
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

Honestly, I'll admit that I'm a bit of a fair weather rider. I rode until the beginning of December last year, and stored the bike away until late february. I'm not a cold weather person at all, so frankly riding below 55* isn't very enjoyable to me. At anything below that temperature it feels just like regular commuting to me... regular commuting that takes an extra 15 minutes in the morning to get ready for, so I would just choose the car. Once the weather cracks 70* it's hard to keep me off of the bike.
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote