ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM   #1
Demented
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): Soon- 09 Nnja 250r

250r on the Highway

Alright so im pretty much Going to get One of these bad boys, now that ik what color im getting i just want to make sure of one last thing before i take the plunge. The most crucial thing for me when purchasing this bike is it has to be able to handle the highway. I have a 2 1/2 ride from my university back home. So about every two weeks i will be coming home and the speeds on florida highways are 70mph and i like to do about 80 to keep up with the traffic and its just a little faster that way. Can this bike handle that? Also at 80mph can i effectively make a pass in a hurry with some pep? or will it just turtle its way around at those speeds? Thanks in advance.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:30 AM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

It'll easily handle highway speeds. Passing might be a bit of a chore but it can be done. The factory rated top speed of the 250r is 110, but most claim no more then 100 in stock configuration. For passing at those speeds you'll most likely have to down shift and floor it for any sort of 'pep', but it can do it. The 250r is stronger and faster then most people (Americans especially) give it credit for. You should be fine on the highway as long as you use your head and don't try anything too risky. Just plan your passes properly and you should be fine.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

I'm going to give a different view then most people on here will I imagine.
But anyways..

I don't know about anyone else, all I know is what my experience was with my 250.
Can it cruise at 80mph? Yes.
Personally I wouldn't want to do it for extended periods of time.
As the bike is at a very high rpm at those speeds, 80mph the bike was at 11,000rpm if I remember correctly (if I'm wrong someone please correct me).

Passing isn't the easiest of things to do on this bike at highway speeds.
Doable? I suppose, just be sure to plan out your passes as it takes some effort.
Although it is fully capable of highway riding, this bike just isn't meant for it.

Heavy winds? Big hills?
I don't know what it's like where you live but these will all make highway riding more difficult on this bike.
I've had times where I had to use full throttle just to maintain 60mph on the highway due to the wind.
Then having to shift down if a hill comes up.

Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing bike.
I loved mine but ended up selling it due to a huge portion of my riding taking place on the highway.
(also found it uncomfortable due to my height too but that's a completely different topic..)
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:49 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It may be different on the classic 250, but I've driven long distances at high speed (crossed the country) on my '08 and, IIRC, it was nowhere near 11K RPM @ 80MPH in 6th gear... either that or I was somehow oblivious to it for DAYS! Hell, I've repeatedly done over 100MPH indicated and didn't hit the 13K RPM redline. IIRC, there's room to downshift and pass at ~90MPH without hitting the redline. Of course, there is that issue of mis-reporting tachs on the current-gen 250s.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:26 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Alright so im pretty much Going to get One of these bad boys, now that ik what color im getting i just want to make sure of one last thing before i take the plunge. The most crucial thing for me when purchasing this bike is it has to be able to handle the highway. I have a 2 1/2 ride from my university back home. So about every two weeks i will be coming home and the speeds on florida highways are 70mph and i like to do about 80 to keep up with the traffic and its just a little faster that way. Can this bike handle that? Also at 80mph can i effectively make a pass in a hurry with some pep? or will it just turtle its way around at those speeds? Thanks in advance.
Is this going to be your first bike?

Have you taken the motorcycle safety course?

My suggestion would be, buy a used 500. Not that much more power and will be better for the long rides every 2 weeks.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryne

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I just had it on I-65 for the first time last week. Speed limit is 70 and I had no problem keeping up with traffic ~80. It is near top speed at that point, but the short gearing allows for acceleration at that speed. I personally stick to back/country roads out of preference, but that's mostly due to moron cagers that will pass you on the right with just enough room between you and the car in front of you to get back into the left lane.

Not sure on your situation, but the safety course is a very valuable useage of your time.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:29 AM   #7
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Short bouts on the highway are fine. Much more than an hour for me is starting to push it. This bike is alot of things but it does not do well at 80 for 2.5 hrs. Well, that's a lie, it will do it, but you won't like it. With that said, try a sprocket change. I bet that'd solve all of the interstate cruising issues.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

The bike can handle 80+ mph no problem, but dont expect to be a slingshot when passing. I would suggest more frequent rest stops though to stretch and also to shake off the numbness from the high rpms's for so long.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:38 AM   #9
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

The thing to really remember is what you are comfortable with. I know Tyke can do it. Infact on the freeway I tend to like to go 70 - 80 (depending on traffic) and for the long distance thing, with any bike or travel you need to make stops. If anything to stretch your legs. doing a bulk highway stretch without stopping, to me anyway, is a big mistake.

(a note - if you do like to travel at these speeds and get a 250 make sure you check your oil often )

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM   #10
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hwy riding is no problem. It will go all day long at hwy speeds.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:51 AM   #11
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
My suggestion would be, buy a used 500. Not that much more power and will be better for the long rides every 2 weeks.
While it's certainly possible to commute on the highway using a 250, a 500-600cc bike feels a lot more stable to me. Having the extra weight and the extra power on tap to extricate yourself from tight situations makes for much less of a white-knuckle experience. Long rides constantly hovering near redline in 6th gear on the Ninja get old pretty fast. Since everyone here breaks the speed limit by at least 10-15mph over posted highway speeds, the Ninja is right at the limit of it's capabilities and that's usually not a good feeling to have on a bike.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM   #12
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
It'll easily handle highway speeds. Passing might be a bit of a chore but it can be done. The factory rated top speed of the 250r is 110, but most claim no more then 100 in stock configuration. For passing at those speeds you'll most likely have to down shift and floor it for any sort of 'pep', but it can do it. The 250r is stronger and faster then most people (Americans especially) give it credit for. You should be fine on the highway as long as you use your head and don't try anything too risky. Just plan your passes properly and you should be fine.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Short bouts on the highway are fine. Much more than an hour for me is starting to push it. This bike is alot of things but it does not do well at 80 for 2.5 hrs. Well, that's a lie, it will do it, but you won't like it. With that said, try a sprocket change. I bet that'd solve all of the interstate cruising issues.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
The thing to really remember is what you are comfortable with. I know Tyke can do it. Infact on the freeway I tend to like to go 70 - 80 (depending on traffic) and for the long distance thing, with any bike or travel you need to make stops. If anything to stretch your legs. doing a bulk highway stretch without stopping, to me anyway, is a big mistake.

(a note - if you do like to travel at these speeds and get a 250 make sure you check your oil often )
You little speed demon you

Anyone here have a 15t CS installed? Is it less nerve racking at higher speeds? I would think so. I'm planning on this before the NE ride. Haven't gone through the diys yet for a part source either.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

well like everyone's already noted, the bike is more than capable of doing highway and 80-100mph but 2.5 hours every fortnight and you might not be enjoying the ride so much. But I'm 135lbs and this bike has no problems if I go for a more spirited/aggressive stance through the highway. Then again it all depends on your experience. If it is your first bike - are you sure you're even up for 2.5 hour rides?! Dunno bout you, but that gets tolling on me even in a car.

If you can handle a bigger ride, though, and budget isn't a factor you can look at the sv650 or ninja 650r or something extreme like the versys. Nice upright touring style bikes that'll be much more comfortable than an SS. Just make sure you get an insurance quote first...
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #14
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

There are several folks who have rode Ninja 250s from the lower 48 up to Alaska.

At 80 MPH, the engine is doing about 8000-9000 RPM in 6th gear. Red-line is 13,500, so you will be nowhere near redline.

The bike can handle doing 80 just fine - stock the 250r's top speed is a bit shy of 100 mph, no matter what the inaccurate speedometer says.

That said, it is a small light bike, and some folks prefer a heavier beast for pounding down the Interstates, especially in strong crosswinds.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:48 AM   #15
Buffalony

I recommend anything 500cc or less. If sport styling is what your going for maybe the ninja 500 or suzuki gs500f would be alittle more comfortable. it seems the gs500fs are alittle tougher to come by these days. the blast is nice and cheap too, not much wind protection there though.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:47 AM   #16
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post

At 80 MPH, the engine is doing about 8000-9000 RPM in 6th gear. Red-line is 13,500, so you will be nowhere near redline.
Uhhh... try 10 or 11k. Unless something is seriously wrong with my bike or you have a different sprocket set up.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM   #17
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Uhhh... try 10 or 11k. Unless something is seriously wrong with my bike or you have a different sprocket set up.
+1 My bike's the same. The other day while on the interstate I was doing about 75 and had it about 9.5 - 10k RPM. So, for me to travel around 80mph I'd for sure be right up there between 10 and 11.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

Quote:
Sounds like he does have a different sprocket set. I have the 15/41 sprockets and the range that he described is exactly where mine sits. 60 mph @ 6k rpms, 70 @ 7k, 80 @ 8k...

2008 Ebony Ninja 250R (a.k.a. "Venom")
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM   #19
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Someone needs to invest in some sprockets... (me)

Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #20
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

People around here like to do 75 to 80 on the highway and I managed to keep up pretty decent on my 08 250 when I had it. Of course the bigger bikes would pass me all day long, not that they were going the speed limit though. I agree that changing out the sprockets may be the best way to go if you do a lot of highway riding, but even stock you should be alright just don't expect to be a speed demon on the straights.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM   #21
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

Quote:
Someone needs to invest in some sprockets... (me)
I love them. They are the best mod I have done, without a doubt. I do alot of highway riding and it is the perfect setup. I really believe that the bike should come with these sprockets.

2008 Ebony Ninja 250R (a.k.a. "Venom")
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #22
Demented
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies people, much appreciated. I might have to look into something a little bit bigger, I am not into going fast but i might have to get a 600 just to be safer while making that commute. Theres always those instances, even in cars, when you have to get on it to avoid those bone heads. Thanks

Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM   #23
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I also do 80 on the highway and am revving at 8k-8.5k RPM with stock sprockets. I've still got a 15 tooth to put on the front.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM   #24
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Let me ask you again. What is your riding experience?

There are other options than a full on 600. There is a Kawi and Suzuki 500, there Kawi and Suzuki 650, and Yamaha makes a 600 that is not a race bike.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM   #25
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
I might have to look into something a little bit bigger, I am not into going fast but i might have to get a 600 just to be safer while making that commute. Theres always those instances, even in cars, when you have to get on it to avoid those bone heads. Thanks
I think a 600 will get you in more trouble than it will get you out of, assuming one doesn't have alot of experience. That's like saying you need a Gallardo because that dumbass in an Acura cut you off. I don't think so... Just sayin.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #26
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

If you want something bigger than a 250, take a look at the big brother Ninja 500. I owne one in the 90s for about 4 years. It is a very reliable, capable motorcycle.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #27
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Quote:
I think a 600 will get you in more trouble than it will get you out of, assuming one doesn't have alot of experience. That's like saying you need a Gallardo because that dumbass in an Acura cut you off. I don't think so... Just sayin.

Exactly, lets put things into perspective here a modern super sport has the same acceleration as a exotic sport car and has the same power to weight ratio as a Indy car.

Now the 250 may be a bit slow in comparison but on the highway if you tuck in to reduce wind you will be surprised by how fast that little bike is. You should be able to pass most vehicles as long as their not doing triple digits.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #28
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Yeah definitely no need for a 600. A 500 like the Ninja 500 or GS500 would do the job perfectly.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM   #29
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

I disagree with the statements that you need to downshift to pass. At fast freeway speeds, the bike's in its power band in top gear so no need to downshift.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Not even large hills pose a problem.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Two and a half hours of freeway isn't going to be real comfortable on any sport bike, though. That's a long time to endure the stiff suspension and constant paranoia.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM   #30
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

I guess I'm (somewhat) alone on this, but I have no problems with my 250 on the freeway AND long distances. I make a 3 hour commute back home (each way) and used to do it every weekend. Going 80mph puts me at 9k, every time, unless it's 90+ degrees, then it's 10k. I have no problem whatsoever passing cars. My bike will get up and go and hit 95mph without me realizing it (granted I focus a lot of my attention at that point to the other stupid cagers so it may actually take longer to get up to speed than I realize). I'm 121 lbs so me and the bike barely (if even) break 500lbs. I've ridden in 67mph + winds on the interstate. Not that it's fun, but it's possible. Wind doesn't bother me at all anymore after that night scary night. Long distances don't bother me either. 13.1k on my bike now and I've had it since Oct 23rd, 2008 and it was brand new.

I've never had anything bigger though so I don't know any different. The 250 suits me just fine.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM   #31
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreezMunky View Post
Going 80mph puts me at 9k, every time, unless it's 90+ degrees, then it's 10k.
Good post, but for the record your rpm aren't actually different in warmer weather. If it reads different (and I don't doubt it does, mine does sometimes, too) it's just an error in the instrumentation. Your rpm / speed is an inflexible ratio unless you change hardware, like sprockets or your gears.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM   #32
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Sallee View Post
Good post, but for the record your rpm aren't actually different in warmer weather. If it reads different (and I don't doubt it does, mine does sometimes, too) it's just an error in the instrumentation. Your rpm / speed is an inflexible ratio unless you change hardware, like sprockets or your gears.
Hmmmm, interesting.. I was wondering the same thing and that was really the only idea I could come up with. It's the first time ever it's ever rev'ed that high and also the first time I've had it out in that kinda heat. I made a 280mi trip that day and by the time I got home and it was cooler the rpms had returned to normal.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM   #33
Demented
ninjette.org member

True, seeing that video of you on the highway deff paints a clear picture of how it performs on the highway. SO if i did the 15 tooth sprocket i would be reving lower and be able to still be streetable, light to light?

Old April 24th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #34
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Shane, where do you go to school? Miami or Gainsville?

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #35
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
True, seeing that video of you on the highway deff paints a clear picture of how it performs on the highway. SO if i did the 15 tooth sprocket i would be reving lower and be able to still be streetable, light to light?
Light to light I really prefer the 15T sprocket. It gives you a taller and much more usuable first & second gear. It will affect your accelleration slightly, but the trade off is lower RPMs at speed on the highway and more usable lower gearing for stop & go traffic. The great thing about that mod is if you find you don't like it you can just re-install the original sprocket.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #36
Buffalony

Quote:
Hmmmm, interesting.. I was wondering the same thing and that was really the only idea I could come up with. It's the first time ever it's ever rev'ed that high and also the first time I've had it out in that kinda heat. I made a 280mi trip that day and by the time I got home and it was cooler the rpms had returned to normal.
Theres a thread on this over at kawiforums. It seems common. Has to do with the igniter performing differently at different temps. Dealer may or may not fix. I give link if you cant find it with search.

Quote:
Yes. most say its an improvement over stock. You can also change out the rear to a 43t or 41t with or with out a different CS sprocket. It comes down to preference. The 08+ 250 is in the databasehttp://www.gearingcommander.com/

Ryan, I liked the golden gate video. Was that you?? Who ever it was was having a blast. I wonder what can is on the bike

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #37
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Ryan, I liked the golden gate video. Was that you?? Who ever it was was having a blast. I wonder what can is on the bike
Yeah that's me--it's a Two Bros. can

Old April 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #38
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Theres a thread on this over at kawiforums. It seems common. Has to do with the igniter performing differently at different temps. Dealer may or may not fix. I give link if you cant find it with search.

Thanks Joe, I found it!

Old April 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #39
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Sallee View Post
Yeah that's me--it's a Two Bros. can
Hey that was a fun ride. thanks for taking me along. My bikes been in pieces lately so I havent been out. Its looking like it might be that way for alittle longer considering I ordered from cheapcycleparts (fingers crossed).
That vids gonna help me through this horrible wait.

I'm gonna have to reconsider the two bros now. Do you have a full exhaust?
I know videos arent accurate for exhaust sound, but this ones the sh!t for the two bros can.

Quote:
Thanks Joe, I found it!
Cool Cool
Let us know how it goes with the dealer. I'm gonna talk to the dealer about this when I go for inspection(when ever CCP get my parts to me!!). I hope I dont have a prob with the warranty considering I havent transfered it from the previous owner yet. Especially since the igniter is over $300!!!!

Old April 24th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #40
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'm gonna have to reconsider the two bros now. Do you have a full exhaust?
I know videos arent accurate for exhaust sound, but this ones the sh!t for the two bros can.
Just a slip-on Got it from NewEnough for $325 (actually like $270 since I had a bunch of gift certs) shipped. Glad the video could please.