ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 20th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Name: Trent

Motorcycle(s): 2004 YZF-600r ---- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Overheat Issue

So I bought a Ninja 250r 2006 a few days ago, my first bike! It runs perfect besides a broken hi-beam and this new problem I have discovered. When stopped at a red light or stop sign the temperature gauge will rise from just under the red, into the red (and gets to middle of red if it's a long stop). After accelerating again, the bike will cool down from the wind... getting anywhere between the middle and just under the red line. I'm not sure why this is happening, but maybe one of you does! Maybe it's normal? I have no idea... but keep in mind I live in Arizona, and when I just noticed this problem it was 93 degrees F.

Let me know if there's anything I should check or fix in order to repair this problem! Thanks
Avenged7Fold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #2
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

If an EX-250 is idling above 1,300 to 1,500 RPM it'll get really hot at stoplights. What is your idle set at?

Is the bike dirty? More specifically, is the radiator really dirty? A dirty radiator doesn't transfer heat to the atmosphere nearly as well as a clean radiator.

Have you looked into the coolant system? Does it need to be serviced, i.e. removed and replaced? Do you know whether it has ever been changed? You'd be surprised how some prior owners just completely ignore the regularly scheduled maintenance items.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
If an EX-250 is idling above 1,300 to 1,500 RPM it'll get really hot at stoplights. What is your idle set at?

Is the bike dirty? More specifically, is the radiator really dirty? A dirty radiator doesn't transfer heat to the atmosphere nearly as well as a clean radiator.

Have you looked into the coolant system? Does it need to be serviced, i.e. removed and replaced? Do you know whether it has ever been changed? You'd be surprised how some prior owners just completely ignore the regularly scheduled maintenance items.
I just checked the coolant (i believe) which is behind the left fairing. It is below L, just barely filled. I'll change that using THIS The current coolant is a brownish green, do I just add to that or do I need to drain the old coolant?

Because the coolant was so low, I figure that will solve all of the problems, but it also means that nothing else was most likely maintained recently. Where do I go to check the oil? The light is on when I turn on the bikes power, but shuts off when the bike is running (is this normal?) I'll look up cleaning the radiator, I assume all of this maintenance can be done by the average guy if he has seen some instructions, correct?
Just adjusted the idle, it was running at 1k so I changed it to around 1.5k

Old April 20th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I suggest you completely flush the cooling system with a new coolant just to be on the safe side. As to checking the oil, there ought to be a viewing glass of the right side of the bike with two indentations(marks) to indicate the level of oil (at least that's how it is on the new gens). Check out oil level checking and changing procedures at the site you referred to in your previous post. Good luck, it might be a bit daunting at first, but working on one's bike is most rewarding and does wonders to your self-esteem (at least it does mine ). Dueces.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
I suggest you completely flush the cooling system with a new coolant just to be on the safe side. As to checking the oil, there ought to be a viewing glass of the right side of the bike with two indentations(marks) to indicate the level of oil (at least that's how it is on the new gens). Check out oil level checking and changing procedures at the site you referred to in your previous post. Good luck, it might be a bit daunting at first, but working on one's bike is most rewarding and does wonders to your self-esteem (at least it does mine ). Dueces.
Thank you! I'll give flushing the cooling system out a try, and then I'll check the oil and such. I had one more question for now, how does washing the bike go about? Is it like a car, where I can spray anything and it'll be fine, or do I have to follow a certain method? Any procedure to it or just wash it however I want? I'd like to really give the inside and out a nice spray down if it's possible, because the bike is terribly dirty.

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Coolant:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ling_system%3F

As for cleaning, keep the spray out of parts that have grease in them like the wheel bearings, the unitrak linkage, and don't blast the electronics too much. Personally, I use diluted Simple Green, a sponge, and a towel. The bike comes out nice and clean and that way I can keep all the important parts dry.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #7
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged7Fold View Post
Thank you! I'll give flushing the cooling system out a try, and then I'll check the oil and such. I had one more question for now, how does washing the bike go about? Is it like a car, where I can spray anything and it'll be fine, or do I have to follow a certain method? Any procedure to it or just wash it however I want? I'd like to really give the inside and out a nice spray down if it's possible, because the bike is terribly dirty.
Using a high pressure stream of water (like from a garden hose) isn't usually recommended because it can get into sensitive areas possibly compromising electrical, intake and engine components. You can take the fairing out and then spray away to your hearts content and I guess you could also spray down the wheels and rims, but when it comes to the more sensitive areas (especially the engine) a cleaning solution and towel would be the way (safest) way to go. Avoid using regular dish washing soap and if you can, use car cleaning solutions. When I wash my bike, I use two buckets (one clean water the other cleaning solution) and use a towel to clean everything, metal and plastic...but beware, I'm anal about stuff and my way may not be "THE" way... good luck.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Is anyone able to talk with me on an IM or some sort while I flush the coolant, I need help while I go along :P
If so add Trent_rand@live.com to MSN messenger

Old April 21st, 2012, 06:44 AM   #9
GeorgeRYoung
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): EX250, C10 Concours

radiator fan question

Does your fan come on when the temperature rises?

If not, does it come on when you short the fan switch in the radiator?

If the fan runs when you short the switch, but not when it gets hot, you probably have a defective fan switch in the radiator

If the fan doesn't come on when you short the switch, you probably have a defective fan or a wiring problem.
GeorgeRYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 07:34 AM   #10
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Even if you determine that you have a cooling fan issue, you need to flush that dirty coolant out of the engine.

Drain the coolant from the water pump & engine with the two bolts in the pictures below. These pictures are from a 2008, but I don't think any of this stuff changed with the new generation.

Drain the radiator by removing the bottom hose from the radiator.

After everything's drained, re-connect the bottom hose, replace the drain plugs and remove the top hose from the radiator. Refill the radiator with water, place a pan under the top hose, and start the bike. It may take a few minutes of running before any water starts coming out the top hose. (The thermostat takes a few minutes to open). Be careful....it's hot water coming out of that hose. I bought a brass nipple and a section of hose to connect to the top hose so I could run it directly into a drain pan. Less messy that way.

Keep the radiator full of water while the engine runs. This is flushing all the dirty coolant out of the engine. You don't have to do it for very long, because the drain plugs you removed got most of it out. After the water coming out the top hose becomes clear, stop filling the radiator and wait for the coolant flow from the top hose to slow down. DO NOT ALLOW THE BIKE TO CONTINUE RUNNING AFTER THE FLOW STOPS.

Re-connect the top hose to the radiator, and fill the radiator with your new coolant mixture. Start the bike and continue filling the radiator as the engine sucks in the coolant. When the level stops dropping, stop the engine, fill the radiator to the top of the neck, replace the cap, and fill the reservior to the proper level.

Take it for a ride and keep your eye on the temp guage. Riding slowly through neighborhoods with lots of stop-and-go is the quickest way to get the engine hot. If it still overheats and the system is full of coolant, and the radiator fan runs, you likely have a thermostat problem.

cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Overheating

So I noticed my 2006 Ninja 250r is getting into the red zone on the temperature gauge. I flushed the coolant system and replaced it with new coolant. Now, it still reaches the red and when I turn off the bike it sprays coolant (and steam/smoke) out of the radiator cap (or somewhere near it) What should I do to stop overheating, and stop hot coolant from spraying out every time I shut off the bike?

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:52 PM   #12
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Did you replace your radiator cap? If not, do so.
Posted via Mobile Device
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM   #13
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Could be the cap but the thermostat is probably more likely to be the culprit.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
could be a janky thermostat. you can try simply taking it out. you dont need it, it just helps warm the engine up faster.

also could be your water pump. might be stuck or a fin could be broken or something.

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #15
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Are you absolutely sure the steam is coming out of the radiator cap? If so, either the cap's seal is compromised, or you didn't screw it on all the way. If the system is overheated and venting pressure, it should be going into the reservior, not out the cap.

After sitting overnight, fill the radiator all the way to the top of the neck, and when you replace the cap, turn it to the right until it stops, then push down and keep turning until it stops again. Then fill the reservior to the appropriate level.

If it overheats again, you have a bad thermostat or pump.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Just to let everyone know, in case you have the same problem, I went and picked up a radiator cap from the local bike shop and it hasn't had overheating issues since.

Old April 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #17
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Flushed coolant system, replaced with Peak 50/50, and bought a new radiator cap. No issues since!

Old April 29th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #18
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/threads merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote