ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Knox Biomech Gloves Review

Ok so i have had the gloves for about two weeks. I wanted to wait before i gave a review on them to get them broken in some. When you buy these gloves and you get the correct size they are very very tight. To the point they kind of hurt your hand a small bit. The leather started to break in very fast. Easier to get on an off each time. I rode for a couple of weekend days with them, and commuted every day and they are now broken in very very well.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6962

Fit 10 out of 10: These things after they break in feel like a part of your skin. They are light and molded to your hand. The velcro wrist strap is the perfect size and in the perfect place. It goes over and forms to the natural break in your wrist so you get full movement and never feel the strap on your wrist. Most gloves with these type of straps annoy me as they are either too big or in the wrong place (the Kobes were like that for me). The lace system that cinches the gloves works and works well. You can really fine tune how tight you want them and it pulls the sides even against your wrist. If you get them rule of thumb is a size down, I had x-large in my other two gloves got these in large and they are perfect.

Looks 10 out of 10 I like how they look, they are not as in your face as the handroids are with all the funky stuff on the back side of the hand. Just a nice look to them, I got them in black and white and think they look pretty sweet.

Protection: I cant rate protection as i have not and do not plan to crash in them but the features they have i am quite confident in my hands being protected. The wrist enclosure has sliders on it, there are sliders on the palm of the hand as well. They use the honeycomb gel padding thing for the knuckles. Its a system Knox worked out and it it works well. The knuckle protector is free floating so that you still have full range of motion and it stays over your knuckles at all time. Kangaroo leather and solidly built. The protection you need is there.

Feel 9 out of 10 The gloves feel amazing, the controls feel amazing you have such feel on the clutch, brake and bars its pretty strange at first. It is something you have to feel to experience. These gloves are not wet/cold weather gloves at all. They vent so well that in cold weather you would get frost bite in like 30 seconds. You hands would be more soaked then the gloves in rain. They are perfect for cool/spring/summer riding in nice weather. I do believe they sell a waterproof glove but this one is not it. THe only reason i took a point off is you can feel the inside seems with your finger tips a bit. It doesnt bother me at all but you can feel them.

So here is why i like these ones over the handroids. The biomechs feel lighter, and it makes sense as it doesn't have all the plastic stuff on the back side. For me the Finger skeleton things are a bit restrictive and will break the first time they hit in a crash. I see it more as an oh cool thing, While i am sure if offers some protection that is negated by looks and restricted movement. The fingers on the handroids were thicker then on the biomechs as they had added sliders to them for the handroid model. While the sliders are good and will help its not enough to negate the loss of feel on the controls. I honestly feel that the biomeches will protect my hands just as much as the handroids would and have superior feel for the controls and just feel better on.

Other gloves i have owned are FS mesh, A*sp2's, Sedicci SP2 rip offs. Gloves i have tried, Handroids,Kobe, A* gp. Just so you know what i compare them too and my general glove knowledge.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
professor gascan
ninjette.org member

Name: adam

Motorcycle(s): '10 Red Ninja 250r

Great review Havok. I just ordered a pair of these yesterday, glad to see positive feedback.
professor gascan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:40 PM   #3
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Thanks for the review man!

Need some pictures added in! I wanna see those babies!

Thanks for the head's up about the cold weather / rain. Perhaps I will buy some in later on just for the summer. I end up riding in the rain quite a lot, and if these are not at all waterproof, I don't want them as my go to glove for all conditions obviously!
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #4
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Thanks for the review, Jeff. These will be my next purchase once I get the cash saved up.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #5
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Many thanks for the review man...I'm still not convinced why I would go for these opposed to something in the similar price range like the A*s Sp1 or the GP plus. There are just so many companies out there, it's so hard to find what you like unless you actually try them on.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Can't speak for Jeff, but I know a couple of my reasons for wanting these vs. other gloves were the scaphoid sliders, wrist/cuff sliders, the kangaroo leather, and the BOA system. The scaphoid sliders and BOA system are my 2 biggest reasons. After seeing how my first pair of Alpinestars ripped apart after a extremely brief contact with the pavement I was convinced that something to help my palms slide out should they come into contact with the pavement would be a big plus. These even have the hard sliders on the wrist/cuff, a lot of the higher end gloves just have foam padded wrists which is great for impact but if the leather grips it'll just get torn up anyway. I know there's other gloves out there that have similar features - if I could afford a pair of gloves that used stingray leather for their palms (ala Held Titans) I'd probably go for those but they're all out of my price range. All of the higher-end gloves I've looked that did have a hard slider of some kind on the palm only really had it on the bottom side of your palm and it slightly wrapped around onto your palm which wouldn't work as well if you land with your palm flat on the pavement like most of us instinctively do when falling face-first.

Not trying to talk you into anything, just giving my reasons for why I'm planning on getting these vs. other brands.

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Makenza
Lurker

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

Hey @Havok,

How were the Biomech's in terms of sizing?

What size do you normally wear, and did you order the biomech's 1 size down?
Doing some research on sizing before I purchase, no shops around to try it on in person.

Thanks for the review regardless!

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:33 AM   #8
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

I won't speak for Havok, but I took his advice when I bought my Biomechs and sized down.. sorta. Using Knox's sizing chart, with my measurements I was smack dab in between the med and large range in circumference and right at the low end of large for the finger-to-wrist measurement. Havok said to stick with the medium and they'll break in and fit great. I've had them for about 2 months now (waiting another month or 2 before doing my own review of these) and they're broken in and fit great they do indeed fit like a second skin (which kinda makes them a pain to take off actually) but still a little snug on my thumbs and the thumb-side of my hand. I think this is mainly b/c there's no stretch panel there. I do have some concerns for the longevity of those seams/stitching if the leather doesn't stretch any further. There's a little extra length on either ring finger also. I think I probably would've been fine if I opted for Large. I'm going to be purchasing the Knox Zero Hand Armour gloves by the Fall and plan to go with a size large in those.

Just for reference, I was a size Large in my Cortech gloves but they weren't super snug like my Biomechs, they fit comfortably, and prior to that I had a pair of Alpinestars that were Medium. They were too small and very snug in the same area as the Biomechs, I thought they'd stretch and break in but they just never did.

Take the measurements needed for the Knox sizing chart and if you're in the upper end of a particular size I'd say stay with that size, if you're like me and just barely above a particular size I'd probably stick with sizing down. Just my .