Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 4th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #41
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Name: Matz

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 FS2, XT350

Remind me not to provoke ninjette.org!
You guys can be ruthless lol!

I quite like both bikes although I think the ninja looks better. I would be more worried about damaging the Honda though, the cost of parts are ridiculous, it made me cry when I had to repair my cbr125r

I love the blue, white and red tri-colour scheme they have though, looks gorgeous!

I don't know if anyone here visits mcn.co.uk but according to their review a cbr250 is in insurance group 13 and the ninja is only group 9, that doesn't sound right?
Matz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #42
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz View Post
I don't know if anyone here visits mcn.co.uk but according to their review a cbr250 is in insurance group 13 and the ninja is only group 9, that doesn't sound right?
If it is right, keep it to yourself! Looks like they made a wonderful mistake.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #43
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
I'm guessing group 13 means higher premiums? If it's correct then it possibly could be due to this as you mentioned:

Quote:
I would be more worried about damaging the Honda though, the cost of parts are ridiculous,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
I'm a little shocked to see the hate for the Honda here. As 250 riders, we get dogged out by mindless, straight-line throttle apes and squids, but then we turn around and tag on other 250s? I don't get that.
You basically said what I've been thinking all along since the little Honda was released. It's ironic to see all the posts complaining about people teasing us for riding little 250s. We stand up for ourselves saying that they don't understand our bikes and that it's not about power but the fun factor yet we look down on the Honda for its little engine and supposed lack of performance.

The positive market effects of increased competition have already been felt in markets like Australia where the Ninja 250R price was rolled back from $7499 to $5999 in response to the Honda.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #44
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
I'm guessing group 13 means higher premiums? If it's correct then it possibly could be due to this as you mentioned:
Group 13 does mean higher premiums.

Good spot: that must be it.

Old November 4th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #45
Matz
is stunning! ;)

If it is correct, which I assume it is considering all the replies made regarding the situation and it still hasn't been changed. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole, the whole point of a 250 is cheap fun. Group 13 is about the same as a 600!

Of course I don't know what insurance is like in the states, or anything else for that matter lol. You see with Britain its easy, imagine an item find its average cost across the planet THEN DOUBLE IT!

Old November 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #46
ninjaprof
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300SE

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I feel the same as everyone else here. The CBR 250 looks no where near as nice as our Ninjettes (pre or new gen). They look like 125CC standard bikes.

I had my Ninjette parked up with some other sports bikes in town and not only did it fit in fine, I thought it was the best lookin' of the bunch!
I agree completely. Last week I was out riding and when I stopped for lunch I noticed another bike in the parking lot. From behind it at a distance I thought at first that it was some sort of a custom chop job on a 125cc or something of the sort. I thought it looked very small, unsubstantial and very unattractive. When I walked out and looked at it I could not believe it was a brand new CBR 250. I was SO happy to be riding my Ninja 250 !!!
ninjaprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #47
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 11 CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
In countries where people depend on motorcycles and scooters as they're main vehicle, I imagine the Honda would be very appealing especially given that it is also quite cheaper in many of these places than the Ninja. Honda didn't build this bike to compete with the Ninja at the track. To me it looks like Honda wanted a sporty, yet eco-friendly and accessible bike for the next generation of urban riders and commuters.
Kind of what I was trying to say when I was saying commuter bike. Not so much the class of bike but the demographic Honda is going after. Though i didn't do a great job of that.
Hopmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #48
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopmix View Post
Kind of what I was trying to say when I was saying commuter bike. Not so much the class of bike but the demographic Honda is going after. Though i didn't do a great job of that.
I'm not sure I can ever forgive you for your failure to properly communicate your thoughts

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #49
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Quote:

If Hop is willing, I will do a comparison/shootout video of the two bikes once mine gets back from being hacked up.
yeah dude. Im down. Though its not really gonna be a fair comparison to that Ninjatron ZX twenty-fiddy turbo you have.

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #50
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm not sure I can ever forgive you for your failure to properly communicate your thoughts
I hear the same thing from the wifey about once a week.

Old November 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #51
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Quote:
I hear the same thing from the wifey about once a week.
"I love you Peter"
"........eh...about quarter past ten"

lol!

Old January 28th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #52
sendler
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250, 2011 Honda CBR250R, 07 Ninja 650

Thanks. Too much bike prejudice here. People are missing out on some good information and are already closing their mind even at the sight of the word Honda. It all comes down to your intended use. In the US, motorcycles are toys. The Ninja is the better toy. Higher revving and higher top speed. If you didn't have a car and had to ride a motorcycle every day, the CBR250R is much better due to the bad weather performance of the fuel injection and better mid range power and fuel economy.
Quote:
This thread is out of control.

I am totally in love with the Ninjette, and that is undeniable. Those of you hating the Honda's guts need to ride one.

These are two bikes that, though in the same class, are radically different. Both with their own faults and both with their own benefits.

I think that it is awesome that the Honda hit the market. As someone who's been riding 250s for over 14 years, it's about damned time we had an option other than the Ninja.

The Honda had balls. Big brass ones. From 0-60 it felt a lot like my old GS500.

It's extremely nimble. The riding position seemed higher, which is great for taller riders. The digital cluster is bad ass. I had to spend over $400 to get digital instrumentation on my Ninja. It's fuel-injected. I am going to have to spend over $500 to convert the Ninja.

The Honda, in my opinion has a more elegant design. It is very futuristic looking. The Ninja looks like a traditional sport bike. My only gripe about the Honda's looks, is that the colour schemes look like sport-touring, old man colours. If they had released a red/black, yellow/black, or a Repsol edition, with graphics more in line with sport bikes, I don't think anyone would be dogging its looks. Paint Jobs are cheap.

Hop's got an Akrapovic exhaust on his CBR. To say it sounds monstrous is an understatement. His bike sounds absolutely wicked.

I'm a little shocked to see the hate for the Honda here. As 250 riders, we get dogged out by mindless, straight-line throttle apes and squids, but then we turn around and tag on other 250s? I don't get that.

I don't like 1/4 litre bikes; I f^(@'in love them. I've had plenty of bigger displacement bikes, and still have an undying love for these lightweight nimble machines.

I am glad the Honda is different, and I would personally like to see Suzuki and Yamaha get a piece of the pie.

If Hop is willing, I will do a comparison/shootout video of the two bikes once mine gets back from being hacked up.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #53
ator
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Quote:
lol. I rode a ninja the other day and it felt quite clumsy awkward compared to the CB 250. Obviously its what your used to. If your riding a ninja everyday the CBR is going to feel dumb to you. I think people are missing the point of the bike though. Its in between a cruiser and a sport bike. The position is a bit more upright. Its gets crazy gas milage and its a lot of fun to ride in the city. Its meant for the commuter market who just cant stand the idea of being on a scooter. The ninja 250 is meant for guys who want a full on sport bike but don't have the budget or the balls for a 600 plus. I definitely cant say its ugly though. The Newer ninjas are sexy ill agree. Pregen though... NO. Cannot tell me that a pregen ninjette looks better than the Honda. I've seen some really nice looking hondas already. It is the same height as the ninja though. The difference I feel having ridden both is the tank on the ninja is much wider and the rider position is a bit more forward. The CB Fits me a lot better though as im a 6'2 rider. I wish folks would just agree that they are different bikes and both have some great features. Outlander rode my bike and I don't think you can find a more die hard ninja 250 fan than that guy.
Completely false!! I have the budget and the balls. I have owned a GSXR 750, GSXR 1000, Honda RC51, 929RR, R6, Ducati 748 and a few more as well, had as many as 3 bikes at a time. Got out of the hobby/sport of riding for a while and recently bought the Ninja 250 to cruise around on. I test drove both the CBR250R and the Ninja 250R (and some larger bikes) before making a decision. I CHOSE THE NINJA because I felt it was a better bike. But the truth is I could have bought any bike I wanted!!
ator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #54
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Regarding the headlights on the Newgen, is there any way to install two pregen bulbs and have both on at the same time?
Sure. Newgen's use H7 bulbs in H4 adapters. Pre-gen's use H4 bulbs. All you'd have to do is rewire the highs and lows so that both lows are always on, and both high's come on at the same time. It would be the same wiring as someone who does an HID retrofit on a newgen using projectors.

then just take out the H7 bulbs and adapters, and install the H4 bulbs straight into the H4 sockets

at least in theory from someone who's never even seen the back side of a newgen headlight...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #55
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Name: Logan

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Vulcan 800 Classic and 2005 KX250F

I like the looks of both, the FI of the CBR over the Ninjas Carb, the CBRs ergos over the Ninjas, and finally the price tag of a used Ninja over a used CBR.
1994juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #56
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I wouldve bought a cbr 250 if it wasnt a thumper. I like Honda, I just like Kawi more. Just, I think carbs are way outdated. With FI and if it wasnt a thumper it definitely would be sitting in my garage.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #57
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
I wouldve bought a cbr 250 if it wasnt a thumper. I like Honda, I just like Kawi more. Just, I think carbs are way outdated. With FI and if it wasnt a thumper it definitely would be sitting in my garage.
Anything particular about single cylinder engines (I had to lookup "thumper" ) that you don't like? From what I understand they're heavier than their equivalent dual cylinder, but they're simpler.

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #58
sendler
ninjette.org member

The single cylinder engine in the CBR250R is actually less vibey on the highway due to it's advanced counter balancer than my newgen or Ninja650.

Old May 12th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #59
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Its vain, but I just dont like the sound they make and I figured it would vibrate my teeth out.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #60
sendler
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
Its vain, but I just dont like the sound they make and I figured it would vibrate my teeth out.
Vibrates less but is louder than a twin for some reason. 96db with an open slip on. All the guys in Canada started getting tickets and had to put the original exhaust back on.
http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-h...011_2012/15403
Click "sound" to hear the sound of the new Corsa race muffler.

Old May 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #61
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

I can concur.

Vibrates less. Runs really smooth. I love mine.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #62
Matz
is stunning! ;)

I just don't get why the wheels are silver?
Black would of made it look far better!
Still a pretty bike however.

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #63
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
I just don't get why the wheels are silver?
Black would of made it look far better!
Still a pretty bike however.
I completely agree. But it seems to be any easy fix. This person just used Plasti Dip.

It looks purty damn sexy to me!

I am tempted on buying a CBR250 but am waiting for the CRF250L to hit the dealerships. I think I am going to a dual sport next.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #64
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ That does look nice. Nicest picture of a CBR250R I've seen.

Does that CBR have a pet name? Like our Ninja is a ninjette.

Maybe it should be a CareBeaR

Old June 5th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #65
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Eh...I think it's nasty..

First of all the plasti-dip guy is a huge troll on the CBR forums. Lawl.

Secondly, I don't think it matches since the bike already has silver on it? If the bike was all red or red and black it would make sense to me.

Old June 5th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #66
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

I like the silver at speed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JayCBR250R@TWS3.jpg (99.2 KB, 15 views)

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #67
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ looks good as a race bike
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #68
Matz
is stunning! ;)

That picture is gorgeous Jono! I'm not sure which bike looks better now?

Quote:
I owned a CB125R as my first bike and I called that Cibber! (sibur)

Old June 5th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #69
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
Eh...I think it's nasty..

First of all the plasti-dip guy is a huge troll on the CBR forums. Lawl.

Secondly, I don't think it matches since the bike already has silver on it? If the bike was all red or red and black it would make sense to me.
Haha, I saw that thread when looking for this picture. It made me lol. Everybody was bashing that guy.

But I think it looks nice. It accents the other black parts on the bike. And the silver wheels have that same affect on the other silver parts of the bike. Both look good to me. I guess I just like black wheels since my pregen and my car both have black wheels. It hides the brake dust/dirt so well!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #70
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

I like my bike's dirty look. I ride it too much for it not to get filthy anyways.

People were bashing him because he wouldn't STFU about plasti-dip and then started calling people trolls and offering 'expert n00b advice'.

Old June 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #71
Ravenger
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Feel sorry for you guys in the US, back here in South Africa we get the FI ninjettes so the choice between honda and kawi was just so much easier in the end.
Ravenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #72
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

My (requesiat in pacem) Honda Elite 110 was more expensive to insure than the Ninjette.

I love all the "small" (500 and under cc) bikes. Nobody has yet informed me of something they can't do, unless it's to hit triple digits in a straight line. Anyone can drive in a straight line; that doesn't impress me.

I'm even disappointed the CBR125 isn't here (I actually looked to see how much trouble it'd be to go into Windsor and get one) along with the Aprilia RS125 (in a street-legal form) and KTM 125.

Guess I'm just impressed by things that overperform than "super" cars and bikes that only shine on a track.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #73
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

To me, the cbr250 wasn't "performance" oriented enough. It's geared towards commuters who want a little more oomph than a scooter, but no desire for a bigger bike.

Highway speed, less track friendly, and price (no used market yet) held me back from getting a cbr.

I commute in the city with my ninja, and don't regret the decision in the least. It's plenty agile, great gas mileage (triple my car), and I've never had any issues with the low-end torque. (granted, I do only weigh 130 fully clothed, bike is jetted with a yoshi exhaust, but I do have a 38 tooth rear sprocket)
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #74
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

I have done plenty of highway on this bike.

It's doable. Just like the Ninjette, don't expect power passes.

Old June 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #75
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

the ninja scares me, to be honest, and everything I read said it's better than the CBR. I like to keep with traffic in the fast lane, which is typically around 85 or 90 here. Throttle response going that fast leaves something to be desired. Most cars out-accelerate this thing at 80+, making the fast lane somewhat dangerous when you're getting around a slowpoke who has moved over.

(i see you're from Philly. I'm originally from Philly, Boston drivers are VERY similar to Philly drivers.)
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #76
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Yea. I'm from Philly. I was in Boston last summer and I can agree with the drivers!

I feel like the reviews of both bikes are a little jaded. For commuting I prefer the CBR because of FI, more comfortable suspension on the many crappy roads here, and the low-end torque.

It has much more low-end torque than the Ninjette. It does lack top end in comparison, but I'm used to the whole build up momentum game from the Ninja. My Ninja's speedo at 90 was off, but I still was passing almost everyone. The CBR at 90 is actually going 90. My speedo is dead on. I can get up to 80-85 without too much trouble. After 85 it's not that great. But I would prefer not to do 15 over the speed limit.

Old June 5th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #77
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I just recently helped a friend learn to ride his CBR 250, and part of that process was riding his bike to and from a parking lot where he could practice. My Ninja has a lowering kit from the previous owner, and I put a big-ass touring windscreen on it. His CBR is brand new and stock. My first impressions were as follows:

I felt like I was sitting a lot higher on the CBR. I'm sure some of this had to do with the lowering kit on my Ninja and the view over his stock windscreen vs my big tall windscreen. The height (maybe also a wider seat?) made standing over the bike at a stop sign or light less comfortable.

The FI made things seem a lot smoother in general. Playing with the throttle at a standstill, the RPMs seemed to bounce around a little more than on the Ninja. I only really noticed this while helping my friend learn how to get going smoothly while he was still getting a feel for the friction zone.

I never went on the highway and since his bike is brand new I didn't go to WOT except once in the parking lot.

I personally like the shiny wheels, but that's just me.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #78
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Name: Janelle

Motorcycle(s): current newbie stick is a loaner :P

Quote:
I believe they call it baby blade. And it's used to refer to te cbr400 too. I've seen the word fireblade being thrown around too, but I think that one's reserved for their higher displacement models. (900+) sounds pretty cute to me ^^

Old June 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #79
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I owned a CB125R as my first bike and I called that Cibber! (sibur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamchops View Post
I believe they call it baby blade. And it's used to refer to te cbr400 too. I've seen the word fireblade being thrown around too, but I think that one's reserved for their higher displacement models. (900+) sounds pretty cute to me ^^
I approve Baby Blade and Cibber. Both cute!

Old June 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #80
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
Flaming stabby thing
You can't have a 5 syllable pet name!