ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

On my ride to work today.....

I noticed my bike getting REALLY hot between my legs.. Now I know it's hot outside and my bike is black, and the bike was NOT overheating... So is this normal for a pregen to get so hot between your legs or is there something wrong with my bike???
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I would check the battery. Sounds like it could be heating up on you. I also had a black pre-gen down here in FL and can't recall it getting very hot between my legs.

Old May 29th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Yes? I mean you are sitting on top of an engine. It is going to be hot down there. If the temp gauge says it isn't overheating then I think your fine.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just put on a few more maxi pads and you shouldn't notice it anymore
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #5
davidw38901
ninjette.org member

Name: david

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r 2005

lol^^^^
davidw38901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
And the operating temperature was normal?

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Stingray1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARc View Post
And the operating temperature was normal?
The thermostat said it was fine. The bike heated up to about half when stopped and jsut over a quarter when moving. While I was riding I could even feel gusts of wind coming off the bike that was hotter then the actual air itself. I notice the heat on my inner thoighs all the time. Worries me a bit because I've never ridden before and idk if thats normal or not. To describe it best The bike was making me hotter then the weather itself to the point where it almost made me uncomfortable to ride the bike, there might have been a little fear thrown in there that in a min or 2 I might have been riding a fireball down the road but idk......... Only way to describe it

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #8
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Now it kinda sounds like you could put it in the category of "new rider" and nothing really else. I can't say I remember having that much heat thrown on my thighs from my '94. However, if the operating temp is staying that low, then there's most likely nothing wrong. If you want to feel a really hot bike, I suggest hopping on an oil/air cooled bike in slow traffic. Your ninjette will feel like it has a/c by comparison lol.

Edit: I take back this statement. I honestly don't feel the heat of my bike's motor while riding along. Might be different on a bike like the Katana that is also oil/air cooled by also has full fairings to channel the wind over the motor.

Last futzed with by sombo; May 30th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Your bike is black, right? It will absorb sun light making it feel hotter than any other color. So paint it white to see if that helps.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #10
vmlp
ninjette.org member

Name: vmlp

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex250

Bike running hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
The thermostat said it was fine. The bike heated up to about half when stopped and jsut over a quarter when moving. While I was riding I could even feel gusts of wind coming off the bike that was hotter then the actual air itself. I notice the heat on my inner thoighs all the time. Worries me a bit because I've never ridden before and idk if thats normal or not. To describe it best The bike was making me hotter then the weather itself to the point where it almost made me uncomfortable to ride the bike, there might have been a little fear thrown in there that in a min or 2 I might have been riding a fireball down the road but idk......... Only way to describe it
Hi,
When you stop n go in the streets this is normal in summer! If the temp. pointer is not in red zone than everything should be fine.
hope this helps!
vmlp
vmlp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 06:20 PM   #11
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Yup, this is a normal occurence, especially when the temperatures start to rise. You'll notice that needle going down when you're going at speed on the freeway. If it ever gets into the red zone, the bike's fan should kick in. But when it gets to that halfway point, try to get moving.

Old June 24th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Melcoal
Ninja Owner

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I'm gonna take a stand and say you're not a stupid new rider who's stupid. I've been riding for a while now (on an '08 Ninja) with nothing like this happening to me, HOWEVER:

My fiancee just purchased an '07 Ninja 250 as her first bike, and was complaining about the same thing. I told her the same things as were said here - that is until she had me ride it for longer than 10 minutes. It seems to not heat up until then.

It's bazaar to me, and I'd like to fix it myself. That said, if anyone does have insight (I know the battery was mentioned - Recommend to change it out completely?) please let me know.
Melcoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Stingray1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcoal View Post
I'm gonna take a stand and say you're not a stupid new rider who's stupid. I've been riding for a while now (on an '08 Ninja) with nothing like this happening to me, HOWEVER:

My fiancee just purchased an '07 Ninja 250 as her first bike, and was complaining about the same thing. I told her the same things as were said here - that is until she had me ride it for longer than 10 minutes. It seems to not heat up until then.

It's bazaar to me, and I'd like to fix it myself. That said, if anyone does have insight (I know the battery was mentioned - Recommend to change it out completely?) please let me know.
where in md are you?

Old June 24th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #14
Melcoal
Ninja Owner

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Westminster. From the area aswell?

Edit: It just occurred to me this was my first and second post ever on here, despite being a member for a while. Haha
Melcoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #15
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

I have a black 2007 250 and mine gets quite hot on my legs also. I notice people wearing shorts here while riding a motorcycle and I always wondered how in the HE11 can they wear shorts when I can feel hot heat through my jeans while riding. Not sure if its normal but I feel the heat every time I ride.

Note: My bike isn't overheating either when it gets as hot as it does.
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if its humid out my bike starts burning my ass.

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Stingray1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcoal View Post
Westminster. From the area aswell?

Edit: It just occurred to me this was my first and second post ever on here, despite being a member for a while. Haha
I noticed lol I'm in Delaware, far from you but right next to MD

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #18
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

Your bike shouldn't be burning hot, but if it's a little warm then meh, nothing to worry about. However, it it's like 100 degrees outside and you own a black bike, your seat and tank WILL get heated very rapidly. As long as your engine temp meter is reading normal temperatures I wouldn't worry about it too much...

When it blows up then you know you have an issue somewhere...
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #19
Dave313
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250

I was about to put up a new post on this exact topic. I rode home from work on Thursday when the outside temperature was about 100. The bikes temp guage stayed in the ok zone throughout the ride while my inner thigh felt like it was on fire. I usually ride with a squeeze of the tank but I had to pull my legs off to let them cool down. I beleive that it is/was hot enough to burn bare skin.

Anybody ever put some sort of insulator just under that portion of the fairing/seat/tank to remedy this. Or another solution perhaps? (Aside form man-up)
Dave313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #20
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

the motor is always over 150 after warm up so it should feel hot having your leg near it.

the sun warms up any dark color surface, but at over 100 degrees the ambient air does not do a good job of shedding heat.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote