ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Area P exhaust

Hey guys, been thinking about a new exhaust for the ninja (when I get one of my own) and seen the area p. to be honest it, and the Muzzy sounds like my 4 wheeler . My favorite is the two brothers exhaust. I was wondering to you who have an aftermarket exhaust, has your mpg decreased? Also would you suggest getting it after its all said and done?
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Have you been able to hear the exhaust in person? Youtube gives no exhaust justice. Personally I like the sound of the Area P (thats why I got it )

As for the Two Brothers, everyone says its WAY too loud, but I've never heard it in person. The owner of two borthers is a really cool guy though. I know his daughter I always feel awkward going over to there house with the Area P exhaust lol

And I dont notice much of a change in gas millage so far. Maybe one or two mpg less but thats how its going to be with any exhaust

Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Kev, no I havent ever heard one in person. I've heard the two bro's is extremely loud as well. The area p just sounds like my quad though. Guess I'll have to try to hear one in person. I've gotta find me a 250 of my own first though. I like the 2-1 as well.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Oh! your looking for an old gen, cant help too much there :P

But I do like the sound of the Area P on the new-gen. The 12" is a little loud (which I have) The 15" sounds good, ive heard it in person. I think the 18" Looks a little big, but its about the same size as stock, and is the quietest aftermarket exhaust

Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM   #5
kkim

I wouldn't think the old and newgens would sound much different. they are basically the same engine.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM   #6
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

You have to figure out exactly what it is that you don't like about something before you can fix it.

In the case of the EX-250 it may be a case of "you just can't fix it" because of the following:

The EX-250 is a parallel twin with a flat-plane crank (crankshaft pins are offset by 180 degrees). It's a good engine design for performance but the exhaust note, unfortunately, isn't pretty sounding to the ear.

A parallel twin (a.k.a. Inline 2 or I2) with a flat-plane crank fires it's pistons only 180 degrees apart and the there's nothing for the remaining 540 degrees of engine rotation (the 4-stroke engine cycle is 720 degrees of rotation). You end up with a strange, "farty" sounding exhaust.

This forum, and the other EX-250 forum, get a good bit of traffic from guys wanting their EX-250 to sound "better." I think that a lot of them would like to think that a slip-on cannister or a full exhaust will give the EX-250 a truly satisfying exhaust note, but the hard truth is that the timing of the exhaust pulses makes the music and the exhaust system simply controls the volume.

So, for our EX-250 engine the aftermarket exhaust question is, "How loud do you want your farty sounding exhaust to be?"

Is this just my opinion? Am I the only person on earth who thinks this? I say no, and as evidence I give you the inline 2 engines currently produced by Triumph Motorcycles Ltd. They have 6 models with inline 2 engines (Scrambler, Bonneville, Thruxton, America, Speedmaster, Thunderbird) and not one of them has a 180 degree crank. In spite of the mechanical efficiency and performance advantage of the 180 degree crankshaft Triumph has decided to use the much better sounding, but less efficient, 360 degree and 270 degree crankshafts.

Having said all that I'll also say that I've been very happy with my Area P long-quiet stainless steel exhaust system.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Lucas, I have the Area P Carbon Fiber Quiet Core and I realy love it.
I have not noticed any change in my mileage. It's about the same.
I highly recomend getting the Area P full exhaust. The craftmanship and engineering is excelent. The company stands behind their product and will make things right if you have any problems. If you don't believe me just do a search and read all the threads on this site about Area P.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Rick and Greg, thank you. Greg you're right, I guess im trying to turn the 250 into a 600r sound, and it just isnt. Does it really justify the $500 though? Can you tell a difference in acceleration or anything? I seen it gains about 10-15% due to the opening of the exhaust and losing almost 30 lbs. The bike will be for me to play around on and ride to work (no interstate). I want to streetfight it, and the area P carbon fiber exhaust would be great.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Lucas, as you stated previously, you are dealing with a 250 here and not a 600 so by my own experience the performance gain is very slight and slightly noticeable. With that being said. I love the sound and looks of the exhaust and would not change back. As far as justifying the $500 cost (you can find it cheaper), you will have to decide that for yourself.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM   #10
Z-Trob
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 99 250, 06 Speed Triple, 2009 husky 510SMR

i have a full muzzy system on my 99'. Like greg said you will be hard pressed to make the ninjette sound like an I4 or like anything other than what it is. the way the pistons fire make it sound "farty" or raspy, at least below about 6-7k. personally i think it sounds different and better than all the gixxers around here and sounds deeper down low. in terms of actual noise output, its pretty loud. i actually had an R6 w/ an aftermarket exhaust pull up next to me at a light and Rev up, so i gave it a little too and drowned him out.

As far as performance, i noticed a bit of an increase, it pulls much better down low,(could also be from the rejet) but also has a sorta spike around 7-8k where it feels like the power really starts to kick on. i also am running pod filters which i would recommend for the easier carb access alone.

As far as differences between the brands, I bought the muzzy before i knew area-p made a pregen system. but i would say you cant go wrong with either. The system is light, the can and headers are well made and look great.
Z-Trob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #11
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...and yes the two brothers system really is too loud. I had to go buy some P2 power tips and that only helped enough to make me sane.

PS
I've been wearing ear plugs since before I bought my slipons, so the noise level wasn't a safety issue so much as an embarrassment from making a ruckus in the middle of the night issue. If i had seen the group buy on the area-p system before I bought my 2bros, I would have bought that in a heartbeat from all the good reviews and quality level and performance increase, without sounding obnoxious riding down the road
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

What's the DB rating on the two brothers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #13
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
sorry I honestly don't know exact decibel levels. I looked for that before I bought it. Think much much louder than stock, but not quite to the point of being as loud as a straight piped Harley. So its not obnoxious, but it almost is.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Has anyone noticed a decrease in MPG with an aftermarket exhaust?

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #15
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
Well, changing to an aftermarket exhaust is a performance decision, not an economy decision. Making more power with an exhaust will always cost you more fuel.

The aftermarket exhaust offers better flow so the stock carb settings have to be changed (made richer) to achieve the same air/fuel ratio (at any given throttle postion). So unless you spend almost all your time at low-throttle cruise where the horsepower gain of the new exhaust makes up for the increased fuel burn, you're going to see a decrease in MPG.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #16
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
Nope, but mine didnt stay stock long. Swap your sprocket for something that makes the gears "taller" and it will all be good.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:15 AM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
These Area
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote