ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM   #1
mike12
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250R SE

Question on first engine mod

I have a 2006 250r and I want it to have a little more growl. If I use cone filters I need a jet kit and if I get an exhaust I need a jet kit so I'm gonna get a jet kit either way so my question is should I get the filters and jet kit or the exhaust and jet kit? I don't wanna break the bank and the exhaust are expensive.
mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

If you are after a sound, then you should go for the exhaust. I don't think you really need a jet kit for such a simple mod. Although if you do add the high flow filter, you may then want the jet ket.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM   #3
mike12
ninjette.org member

So you think I could run a slip on just fine and not run lean? I just want the sound so people hear me on the freeway. I've heard sea level has a lot to do with needing the jet kit or not and I live right by the ocean front so.

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12 View Post
So you think I could run a slip on just fine and not run lean? I just want the sound so people hear me on the freeway. I've heard sea level has a lot to do with needing the jet kit or not and I live right by the ocean front so.
The only people who will hear you more are those behind you. Loud pipes don't save lives but they do make you sound cool or obnoxious, depending on who you ask and what pipes you end up using

However, pods do give the 250 a really nice growl. It's not something you'll want if you mostly commute since it's loud as hell. Yeah, you'll probably have to rejet or adjust the fuel ratio on your bike. I haven't done it myself but can't you do that without buying a rejet kit?
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Please please PLEASE don't get just a slip-on. No added benefit except pissing people off, and MAYBE looking cool to 1% of the population. If you have some money to spare, get a full exhaust (area P 18" + headers), pods, jet kit, and remove the kleen system. You'll get a nice bump in HP, nice sound, and a good looking exhaust.

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Please please PLEASE don't get just a slip-on. No added benefit except pissing people off, and MAYBE looking cool to 1% of the population. If you have some money to spare, get a full exhaust (area P 18" + headers), pods, jet kit, and remove the kleen system. You'll get a nice bump in HP, nice sound, and a good looking exhaust.
They no longer produce the area P for pregens

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
mike12
ninjette.org member

Well I was aiming for the slip on cause I dont want to spend a lot of money. I wish delkevic made a system for the 88-07. I really don't wanna go above maybe 350 dollars and I'm willing to buy a used system too.

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Well I was aiming for the slip on cause I dont want to spend a lot of money. I wish delkevic made a system for the 88-07. I really don't wanna go above maybe 350 dollars and I'm willing to buy a used system too.
You can buy a full system for about 400/500 if you can find them.

Brand new muzzy for ~$393

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Muzzys-R...f07052&vxp=mtr

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Have you heard any of these aftermarket slip ons on a 250? They are louder than holy hell. As that monkey said the only people who will hear you are behind you and your bike will be so annoyingly loud it will just piss them off. As an example I was on the freeway doing about 80 with a newgen in front of me who had a Yoshi pipe. My windows were up my music was on and the annoying buzz of his pipes was still coming through. I ended up passing him and going in front of him so I didn't have to hear that crap anymore, and yes as soon as I passed him the sound was gone, its directed backward not forward.

Slip ons are a waste of money. Spending $200-$300 just to change the sound your bike makes is just silly. That money is better spent on some gear or new tires or really pretty much any other mod on the bike. If you want your bike to have a little more oomph switching out the airbox for pods will make some noise without making you sound like a helicopter. You will need to rejet and you can expect to gain a bit of hp, plus modding the intake will only cost you maybe $100-$120
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:33 PM   #10
mike12
ninjette.org member

I just ordered a shinko 712 two days ago for tires. I have full leathers as I came from a 600cc katana. I think I may go the pod filters and jet kit way. What pod filters do you guys recommend? And what jet kit? I won't be jetting it myself but I do want to do the filters so I should be safe to ride it to the shop to be jetted right?

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Why not jet it yourself? It's not very difficult just a bit time consuming. And I wouldn't expect a shop to dial it in as nicely as you would like it. They will likely just shoot for a general area

I like dynojet, so far the only ones I've used. Also, you are going to want to either get a JIS screw driver or allen head replacement screws for the carbs. Those screws are extremely easy to strip with a standard screwdriver

Also if you get a full jet kit you will already have the jets you need if you decide to get a full exhaust
AFM #676

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
If you want to get a small idea of how intake mods effect the sound then you can try taking the snorkel off of the airbox. I believe there is a DIY at the top of the tech section
AFM #676

Old August 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
......I won't be jetting it myself but I do want to do the filters so I should be safe to ride it to the shop to be jetted right?
Do as Jiggles explains above.

Even better, leave everything stock, if you are not going to do the work yourself.

Not really much power to gain from this bike.
I would save the money for a bigger bike and would get proficient with the Ninjette just as it is.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Not really much power to gain from this bike.

AFM #676

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #15
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
If you are after a sound, then you should go for the exhaust. I don't think you really need a jet kit for such a simple mod. Although if you do add the high flow filter, you may then want the jet ket.
No. If you changed anything with how air and fuel flows into and out of the engine you need to re-jet. This includes ANY intake or exhaust modifications. Otherwise you'll be way too lean and down on power.

Go for the full system or don't even bother wasting your money. Don't be a goon making noise just to make noise. That's what you're doing by buying a slip-on.

Leave it stock. Like everyone has said unless if you're dedicated to the bike and doing the work yourself then it's easier to leave it alone so it will be more valuable to whoever you sell it to. Besides, loud Ninja 250s sound ridiculous. They're just really slow bikes at the end of the day. No need for them to be loud.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

If only area P would make their kits for our pregen bikes we wouldn't have to have this conversation :'(

Old August 31st, 2012, 10:27 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
If only area P would make their kits for our pregen bikes we wouldn't have to have this conversation :'(
Muzzy
AFM #676

Old August 31st, 2012, 10:43 PM   #18
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Muzzy
Gross, muzzys are ugly and sound turrble.

Old August 31st, 2012, 10:47 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Idk poop about them, I just know @chode has one and I trust his judgement
AFM #676

Old September 1st, 2012, 04:21 AM   #20
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Gross, muzzys are ugly and sound turrble.
No, Ninja 250s sound terrible 'cuz they have little sewing machine engines.

Old September 1st, 2012, 06:24 AM   #21
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
No, Ninja 250s sound terrible 'cuz they have little sewing machine engines.
Actually, the "problem" has to do with the crank design and the fact it's a parallel twin. Nothing you can do outside of changing the basic motor design is going to change the basic sound of the Ninjette. And loud pipes not only don't make you safer on the road, they might even get you a ticket, not to mention the general negative effect they have on all motorcyclist's reputation. IOW, not only do loud pipes not help you, they hurt all of us.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM   #22
mike12
ninjette.org member

Yeaaaaa... Think I'm gonna get the jet kit and pod filters....

Old September 1st, 2012, 06:40 AM   #23
mike12
ninjette.org member

Couldn't find thy snorkel removal DIY only thing I found was for the 2008+

Old September 1st, 2012, 10:02 AM   #24
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I'd imagine its the same?
AFM #676

Old September 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
No. If you changed anything with how air and fuel flows into and out of the engine you need to re-jet. This includes ANY intake or exhaust modifications. Otherwise you'll be way too lean and down on power.

Go for the full system or don't even bother wasting your money. Don't be a goon making noise just to make noise. That's what you're doing by buying a slip-on.

Leave it stock. Like everyone has said unless if you're dedicated to the bike and doing the work yourself then it's easier to leave it alone so it will be more valuable to whoever you sell it to. Besides, loud Ninja 250s sound ridiculous. They're just really slow bikes at the end of the day. No need for them to be loud.
Very good post !

A four in-line cylinder with 250 cc displacement would sound as cool as a regular 600 cc; only that with the wimpy sound of a 62.5 cc cylinder (rather than 150 cc) more times per second.

Such an engine would rev faster as well, but would have more parts and would be more expensive.

You have a standard motorcycle, sporty enough to be good for the street and the track; however, the power is modest and 5% power increase...........will be still modest.

Any motorcycle is a rolling group of engineering compromises.
The factory achieved and offered a product that is a balance of performance, control, reliability, endurance, weight, agility, vibration, noise, etc.

Yes, you can modify things and change any of those balances; but you will always sacrifice at least another one.

Old September 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM   #26
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
They no longer produce the area P for pregens
To the OP, PM'ed.

Old September 1st, 2012, 12:08 PM   #27
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
A four in-line cylinder with 250 cc displacement would sound as cool as a regular 600 cc; only that with the wimpy sound of a 62.5 cc cylinder (rather than 150 cc) more times per second.
This, I can't agree with. I4 250cc engines sound AMAZING. Much better than any 600cc or 1000cc I4 (with the exclusion of 2009+ R1's).

Link to original page on YouTube.

I mean listen to that! I made part of that video my ring tone so I finally have something nice to listen to when my phone rings.

Old September 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM   #28
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
...........I mean listen to that!........
Mark,

Something is wrong with the link to the video.

Copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBR250

"The Honda CBR250 series of motorcycles was produced by Honda between 1986 and 1996. It is a lightweight sport bike with a six-speed gearbox and a 250 cc (15 cu in), four-cylinder, four-stroke engine capable of revving up to 19,000 rpm. In 2011, Honda introduced the completely new CBR250R with a single-cylinder engine that revs up to 10,500 rpm, made in Thailand and marketed worldwide."

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old September 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM   #29
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Mark? Who is Mark?

Old September 1st, 2012, 02:30 PM   #30
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

Ineed more power in my bike also. so pods n jetkit? that means ditching the airbox of course ya? would this mean no riding in the rain? not sure I could ride in the rain anyways.
...excuse the newbness but..where online could Ibuy a jetkit n air pods?
rabies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM   #31
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Karl Mark,

Something is wrong with the link to the video.

......very sorry,.........age related slip of the tongue

Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #32
Xer0-
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 06 250 rat, 20 400 krt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabies View Post
Ineed more power in my bike also. so pods n jetkit? that means ditching the airbox of course ya? would this mean no riding in the rain? not sure I could ride in the rain anyways.
...excuse the newbness but..where online could Ibuy a jetkit n air pods?
I did The pods and jetkit on my 250 and there is no problem riding in the rain.

i used the K&N R-0990, but you will also need some sort of breather for your crank case if you go to pods.

Check this out ---> Ninja Faq

Edit:

and dont forget the battery tray is also part of the airbox so if you remove it you need a new way to secure the battery (i cut it off the airbox)
Xer0- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM   #33
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hmmm, I really like my muzzy. It pulls harder down low than stock, up top too.

It's less noisy than Two Brothers slip-ons for this bike, pulls harder, and is a deeper tone that howls up top.

The K&N pod filter is louder at WOT than the exhaust ever is. Just sayin.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #34
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
@choneofakind what did you use for the crankcase breather?
AFM #676

Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM   #35
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
@choneofakind what did you use for the crankcase breather?
This guy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00

Old September 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM   #36
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
ah k, I got a k&n one

hope it works
AFM #676

Old September 3rd, 2012, 02:20 PM   #37
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It will be fine as long as it's the right inside diameter.