ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #1
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

To dyno or not to dyno

Stopped by the local dealership this afternoon while putting miles on the bike (needed to get over that 600 mile barrier) and noticed they are having a big bike show and sale next weekend.

One of their offers is a free dyno run with any purchase over $25. Talked with my "inside man" and apparently they just got a new dyno and want to promote it.

I was going to buy some new Diadora Avenue 2 boots they have and I can always use some new gloves.

I'm sure it is not going to be the data detail you might get when buying a full dyno but . . .

Question - anybody see any problem with a dyno run on bike with just over 600 miles? If not I figured get something Saturday make a run, shim the needles Saturday night and go up Sunday for another purchase and run just to see what the dyno says.

Old May 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #2
kkim

good question... did you ask them the same question?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Shouldnt be a problem. Personally I like the 1000 mile mark, for the do what ever point.

Wish we would have put the bikes on the dyno last year, these folks were doing the same. 25 bucks a run < no purchase thou. We stopped in and watch some of the stunt show, I just couldnt take being out(waiting for sugery date then) had to go home. Kinda sad, this place is gone now
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I think it's a good idea to do a dyno run before you do any mods so you can have a baseline comparison. Then when you do your mods you know if there was an inprovement or not. Much better than the old "but dyno".
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #5
kkim

I think his concern is putting the bike on the dyno w/ less than 600 miles on it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #6
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I think his concern is putting the bike on the dyno w/ less than 600 miles on it.
Oh contrae mon capitain - 606 miles

Old May 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #7
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
good question... did you ask them the same question?
Hey I want the truth I'll check with them next week.

Old May 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #8
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

If you make sure the bike is properly warmed up and is given a short ride around to return to normal operating temperature just to be safe, you should be ok. It's like that one time you have to get on it to avoid traffic while on the street. If it doesn't blow your motor then and there (which they'd have to fix anyways) the worst it'll do is knock off 1,000 miles from when you need a rebuild.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

has the oil and filter been changed already? If not maybe that would be something you can do before getting the bike to red line.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
If you make sure the bike is properly warmed up and is given a short ride around to return to normal operating temperature just to be safe, you should be ok. It's like that one time you have to get on it to avoid traffic while on the street. If it doesn't blow your motor then and there (which they'd have to fix anyways) the worst it'll do is knock off 1,000 miles from when you need a rebuild.
Good advice Corey Beth - I'll be sure it is back up to temp before when put it on the dyno - oh wait we don't have a temp gauge any more

I'll be sure it's back up to temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
has the oil and filter been changed already? If not maybe that would be something you can do before getting the bike to red line.
Changed the oil and filter at 250 so even if I ride every night after work the most the oil will have on it is ~600 miles.

Old May 10th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #11
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Run it if you feel the need. You changed the oil, change it again, and then run it. It wont hurt. It might even help a little with the with the rings.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #12
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

It'll be fine. I Dyno'ed mine with 189 miles.

...and an oil change before and after...
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #13
OldGuy
Live Life

Dyno Results

I'll post up a pdf of the results tomorrow when I get to work. Nothing exciting. Two runs; 27.59 hp & 27.68 hp. Both show peak HP at ~ 10.3K rpm and tailing off after that. Pure stock.

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Here is mine...

At 5,280 feet ~ of elevation.

K&N pods, FP Stage 3 Jet kit, airbox delete, kleen air delete, Area P header, GSXR exhaust.

Max power 27.56 - Torque 13.51

Stock, 23.60 - Torque 12.32

Conditions were much more favorable on the stock run at 57 F. On the second run with the mods, it was 3 weeks later, 81 F.

Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote