ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #121
B2FiNiTY
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R

The rubber grommet issue is really pissing me off!

I've lost over 5 grommets already, totaling over $10 in these suckers alone. That is within 2 weeks too. I'm either going to have to stop taking off my seat cowl or super glue these suckers on!!!

time to go to lowes to get 3 more...
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #122
kkim

use something like armorall on the cowl "pin" that slips into the rubber grommet. that way when you take off the cowl, it will slip easily out of the grommet instead of pulling it out from the frame.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #123
B2FiNiTY
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R

I'll try that out, thanks. I'll lube the grommet itself too for some of that slip and slide dual action.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #124
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY View Post
The rubber grommet issue is really pissing me off!

I've lost over 5 grommets already, totaling over $10 in these suckers alone. That is within 2 weeks too. I'm either going to have to stop taking off my seat cowl or super glue these suckers on!!!

time to go to lowes to get 3 more...
Stinkin money pit...LOL

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #125
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY View Post
I'll try that out, thanks. I'll lube the grommet itself too for some of that slip and slide dual action.
just don't lube the grommet portion that holds it too the frame. that's where you want it to be sticky.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #126
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
just don't lube the grommet portion that holds it too the frame. that's where you want it to be sticky.

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #127
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

Finally got my cowl on and the fit is just garbage. Yes I quadruple checked the placement of the rubber bumpers. I guess I'll just need to try some of the fixes in this thread. The front bumpers just seem way too high.

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #128
Tomcrane
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R - RED 2007 Ninja 250 - Red

Odd - I have had no fitment issues with my OEM seat cowl .. install was a breeze and i dont notice any real gap either .. I did nothing but follow the directions on the paper

Tomcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #129
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcrane View Post
Odd - I have had no fitment issues with my OEM seat cowl .. install was a breeze and i dont notice any real gap either .. I did nothing but follow the directions on the paper
seems like you are in the lucky 1%, because out of the box, most of ours seem to fit like crap.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #130
Tomcrane
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R - RED 2007 Ninja 250 - Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
seems like you are in the lucky 1%, because out of the box, most of ours seem to fit like crap.

ill consider my self lucky then ... i love the rear cowl .. totally changes the way the bike looks .. and i got it free from the dealer when i bought the bike .. so I cant complain
Tomcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #131
Frog
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Does the increase storage? Or does it have a bottom like the seat? if it does increase storage I would like to see if I can fit an Autocom Pro Avi and radio for bike to bike communications.
Posted via Mobile Device
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #132
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

it increases the amount of storage. save for brackets, the cowl is hollow. but you would have to be careful when removing the cowl, so that your stuff won't fall out.

Old May 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #133
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

I got this sucker to fit pretty good with minimal mods. All I did was use the smaller rubber bumpers for the front instead of the rear. For the rear I used some adhesive vinyl bumpers (used for the bottoms of table or chair legs) which I put over the holes. The fit is perfect and it doesn't seem to want to come loose when I shake it around.
It may have been posted here already but I also notice the rubber grommet in the rear that holds the peg in place must be in a certain way. If its upside down it will always come out when you remove the cowl, however if it is in correctly it will stay in no matter how many times you remove the cowl.

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #134
Zero260
ninjette.org member

Name: Zero

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I just got my Cowl in today. I had a case of da GAP but it was fixed in 2 minutes.
I used the shorter stand offs it came with plus the short stand offs from the original seat. I slightly bent the bracket to push the pin up towords the top of the cowl. Fits perfect to gap, no side to side movement. I'll get pics later tonight.
Zero260 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #135
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Just fixed my gap...finally. All that was needed was bending the bracket slightly and replacing the front HUGE grommets with the smaller ones off of the rear seat and it works perfectly. No money needed...best kinda mod
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM   #136
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoomaster View Post
Take a round file and file down the indent about 1/16 inch and try again. You will see that as the plastic comes off, the post stays in better to the point that you really have to pull to get it out.....the intension by design .
Hey could you please post a PIC of what area of the TIP you are talking about filing down? I got my cowl and running into the same problem with the BACK popping up very easy!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM   #137
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Ive worked in A few plastic factories over the years. Let me tell you, plastic no matter what, will Warp like most man-made things! Plastic injection molding isnt perfect. If some of the OEM cowls sit for a long time, due to too much weight being pushed down onto through the boxes 'strenght' and pushes down on the Cowl/Part itself alil bit... over time it Warps things even further! (in case of final products Boxed and sealed, stacked till shipped) Some of these mightve been sitting for afew Months, also these OEMs could've been Made (like most cases) before the first 250R (2008-2009) was even built, and wasnt really Test-fitted. Manufacturing parts ahead of time without 'making sure its perfect fitting' happens more times then we'd like to think. Its plastic molding, theres alot more 'room for error' in the correct size, vs a CNC Machine Shop with steel,stainless-steel Molds and Parts that have 'tight' tollerences.

anyhow im just pissed we spend our hard earned money on something that once you get it outta its box, like a 8yr old on X-mas morning all excited and such, your Quite bummed with the results of your find!

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:06 PM   #138
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero260 View Post
I just got my Cowl in today. I had a case of da GAP but it was fixed in 2 minutes.
I used the shorter stand offs it came with plus the short stand offs from the original seat. I slightly bent the bracket to push the pin up towords the top of the cowl. Fits perfect to gap, no side to side movement. I'll get pics later tonight.
with all the fuze over the Gap, of you guys that have gotten your cowl to fit Like a 'Snuggie' have you tried using the Helmet strap Loop? How does your helmet and cowl Fit, or Does it? heh

Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:02 PM   #139
voodoomaster
VooDooMaster

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Blue EX250, 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Hey could you please post a PIC of what area of the TIP you are talking about filing down? I got my cowl and running into the same problem with the BACK popping up very easy!
Too simple for a pix. The nipple that gets inserted into the rubber grommet at the rear of the cowl has an indent, correct? With my unit, this indent did not "grab" the grommet quite deep enough after I pushed it on. SO, with a thin round wood file I removed plastic out of that indent until the nipple/post seated deeper into the rubber grommet and thus stayed put.

dm

VooDooMaster
I love the smell of Blue Octane in the morning.....
voodoomaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #140
ScorpionNinja

Oh hey, does anyone Else have this problem? When you put on your Passenger Rear Seat back on, does that rear rubber grommet MAKE the PRS* harder to put back on and Off? it Hell sure does on mine!
I thought about cutting the rubb grommet so its shaped like a 'D' so the PRS* slides back into position easier, thou im afraid of screwing up being able to switch out both RS's and such! lol

I have taken alot of PICs of my rear seat cowl (OEM) i bought off Ebay $89 shipped. But ill post them later on tonite or tomorrow. ATM i gtg get ready to met up with DJBeerz for a cruise!

Note: I havent done anything to my Cowl, but im able to pull up the rear of it... thou im not sure if its 'easy' enuff to be of concern atm.
So How much Force is needed to PULL off the rear Cowls, Rear... to much, as needed to MOD it?

Mine fits ok i guess, but im not 100% comfy with riding with it 'as is' and coming off!

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #141
ScorpionNinja

Ok, almost time for Bed, heres my Pics of the seat cowl etc!

How does my fit compare to yours?
IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg
So where on nipple would i have to shave down? sorry

IMG_0212.jpgUse this pic to repost and Mark what area i shave down! (i dont have adobe photoshop,etc)

Thanks in advanced,Dave!

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #142
zev42
ninjette.org member

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I got mine from a dealer on Ebay for about $100 bucks. I can't decide if that cowl looks better than the OEM seat or not
Hey Voodoomaster, where did you get your white stripes from?
zev42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #143
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

scorpion ninja, your front gap isn't as bad as i have seen, but it is larger than mine was after i adjusted it. i had it almost completely flush. anymore and the front pin wouldn't catch. i never tried taking a picture specifically of the gap, but here is the best one i could find.

Old August 26th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #144
ScorpionNinja

Nice bike S-wave!

Yea i havent messed with my Cowl at all yet! Im not really concerned about the 'gap' as much as some ppl are here, but im Most concerned with the Gap in the front leading too Air gettin under the Cowl and popping the Rear part off... it then Flappin' in the Wind down I-94!

Yes it would be Great too be able to get the GAP flush enuff, yet allow useage of the stock LEFTSIDE, Helmet holder Hook!

Ill post PICs & feedback tomorrow afterwork with my Helmet being Hooked on the LEFTSIDE & Cowl in place, to form a Starting Point on this Fitment Mod!

Oh... i didnt make a Pic, but ive noticed that the RIGHTSIDE corner(front) seems pretty Flush as can be... its Just the LEFTSIDE corner(front) that is pretty HUGE!

Bending Bracket alil bit at work (i dont have a Vice at home) & or just Shaving the front LEFTSIDE Large rubber Pad, may be all thats needed! Well see...

ttyl

Old August 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #145
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Nice bike S-wave!

Bending Bracket alil bit at work (i dont have a Vice at home) & or just Shaving the front LEFTSIDE Large rubber Pad, may be all thats needed! Well see...

ttyl
thanks, i sold it a bit back. that bike belongs to isthreefitty now. no telling what condition it is in anymore. i just pray he didn't put any autobot stickers like he was thinking.

no need for a vice. you just gotta build up the two ends of the bracket a bit. then just put a long socket over the pin... then just whack it a few times with a hammer.

i kept playing with it until the lock wouldn't catch anymore, then i bent it straighter very slightly. i was still able to utilize the helmet hook under the cowl.

yeah, i am one of those that the gap really bothered. i can't stand stuff like that. drives me nuts. if your concern is the air lifting it off the bike, i think you are ok the way it is in the pics.

Old August 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #146
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
thanks, i sold it a bit back. that bike belongs to isthreefitty now. no telling what condition it is in anymore. i just pray he didn't put any autobot stickers like he was thinking.

no need for a vice. you just gotta build up the two ends of the bracket a bit. then just put a long socket over the pin... then just whack it a few times with a hammer.

i kept playing with it until the lock wouldn't catch anymore, then i bent it straighter very slightly. i was still able to utilize the helmet hook under the cowl.

yeah, i am one of those that the gap really bothered. i can't stand stuff like that. drives me nuts. if your concern is the air lifting it off the bike, i think you are ok the way it is in the pics.
Off to bed

but before i do... Hmmm ok, i was thinking that if i Played with the Gap alil bit... once i get it just right, wouldnt it Make the Rear Nipple fit better and tighter (causing it to rub/push more on the edges of the rubber grommet Hole)??? Also like i mentioned earlier, that rubber rear grommet the Pin fits through. How was the fit when you would put your passenger rear seat back on, as you slide the rear part onto the back Tab plate? Mine is tight as hell and taking the rear passenger seat OFF can be pretty hard, Lots of HEMAN force needed to pull it off/back!

I was thinking of cutting that rubber grommet alil bit, into a " D " like shape, to give the rear passenger seat Tab, more room to 'slide' backwards into place! What do you guys think? (before i go Hack-Saw,Jim Duggan' on it)

HOOOOOOEEEEEE!!!!!!

Old August 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #147
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

i also bent bracket and shaved left rubber bumper

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #148
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Well, I almost lost my seat cowl last week riding to a pistol match on the Interstate. I had to stop at a motorcycle dealership and they were kind enough to loan me a screw, loctite and a nut driver.

Whew!

Almost had to put the seat back on!
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #149
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

Quote:
I got mine from a dealer on Ebay for about $100 bucks. I can't decide if that cowl looks better than the OEM seat or not
the cowl looks waaaayy better...i got mine on ebay too
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #150
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Player View Post
I got this sucker to fit pretty good with minimal mods. All I did was use the smaller rubber bumpers for the front instead of the rear. For the rear I used some adhesive vinyl bumpers (used for the bottoms of table or chair legs) which I put over the holes. The fit is perfect and it doesn't seem to want to come loose when I shake it around.
It may have been posted here already but I also notice the rubber grommet in the rear that holds the peg in place must be in a certain way. If its upside down it will always come out when you remove the cowl, however if it is in correctly it will stay in no matter how many times you remove the cowl.
My factory passenger seat lost both rubber bushings withing three days of owning the bike. I replaced them under warranty and didn't even add glue (originally there was a little bit visible from the factory) and they stayed on for 10K miles with no sign of ever coming off... and I lift my seat at every stop! I actually use my helmet hooks, you see.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #151
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250R

Thumbs up Solo seat cowl rubber grommet/dampers

I lost the rubber grommet that goes around the rear post on my solo seat cowl within about a week of getting my bike, and then also managed to lose one of the damper 'feet' last week. Sigh.

After doing a little searching, I found that this was a pretty common problem (poor design Kawi!) and at the suggestion of several different threads, stopped by both Home Depot and Loews, hoping to find a grommet suitable to replace it. No dice. I found some grommets, but none of them fit right.

So yesterday I stopped by the local Kawi shop and had him special-order some new feet for me, along with ten of the grommets. Figured I'd try to save the effort for anyone else who has lost this part...plus I'll probably lose lots more in the future! If anyone else has lost this grommet and would like a replacement, send me a PM. I'm willing to send a few out for $5/piece (to cover part + postage).

(The part I'm talking about is the grommet in the top-left of this image.)
kobachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #152
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My experience with the passenger seat tells me that if you insert them fully they will not come back out. Basically, Kawi didn't install them right. I lost BOTH of them on my seat within a week of owning the bike. There was adhesive around them that was clearly meant to secure them as a secondary measure. When the dealer replaced them under warranty I twisted and twisted until cone pieces snapped fully into the holes on the passenger seat. Then, I drove 12,000 miles, using the helmet hooks under the seat up to several times a day and never had a problem since. I didn't even add more adhesive. It was pretty hard to get them all the way in. It even seems like it's impossible to fit them but I assure you that it is. The rubber cone pieces just seem too fat to fit and the stem seems like it compresses too easily to force it. IIRC, I just smashed it down HARD and repeatedly twisted.

I even asked on Kawi forums and many people never realized that there was supposed to be rubber dampers there.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #153
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250R

Thanks! Will keep that in mind when I install my new one. Meantime, my offer stands for anyone else lacking one of these =D
kobachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #154
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Kobachi-

I may take you up on that offer.....my seat cowl blows....I still have my grommets but that thing does not fit correctly....I'm going to try and get ti stay somehow....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #155
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
My experience with the passenger seat tells me that if you insert them fully they will not come back out. Basically, Kawi didn't install them right. I lost BOTH of them on my seat within a week of owning the bike. There was adhesive around them that was clearly meant to secure them as a secondary measure. When the dealer replaced them under warranty I twisted and twisted until cone pieces snapped fully into the holes on the passenger seat. Then, I drove 12,000 miles, using the helmet hooks under the seat up to several times a day and never had a problem since. I didn't even add more adhesive. It was pretty hard to get them all the way in. It even seems like it's impossible to fit them but I assure you that it is. The rubber cone pieces just seem too fat to fit and the stem seems like it compresses too easily to force it. IIRC, I just smashed it down HARD and repeatedly twisted.
Same here. Lost one seat foot almost immediately because I didn't really look at it until I noticed it was loose. When I got the replacement I sat down and leaned/twisted on 'em til the cones popped in. No issues in the last 7,000mi.

Last futzed with by Momaru; March 28th, 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: lost the rubber feet for the seat, not the grommet
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #156
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Those grommets fall out ALL the time. I usually find mine have slipped down into the innards of the bike since the "luggage" space has no bottom to it (something to keep in mind if you keep your registration in there.)
I finally used car weatherstripping glue to keep them where they're supposed to be at all times.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #157
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Same here. Lost one grommet almost immediately because I didn't really look at it until I noticed it was loose. When I got the replacement I sat down and leaned/twisted on 'em til the cones popped in. No issues in the last 7,000mi.

Do you have a pic of that?

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #158
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Those grommets fall out ALL the time. I usually find mine have slipped down into the innards of the bike since the "luggage" space has no bottom to it (something to keep in mind if you keep your registration in there.)
I finally used car weatherstripping glue to keep them where they're supposed to be at all times.

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #159
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
My bad, I lost a foot on the seat, not the grommet. Fixed my first post.

Old March 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #160
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Grommet for my seat cowl kept getting pushed out of the receiving bracket every time I pushed the cowl down into place. Went to Lowes recently and picked up one of their grommets and now the cowl seats itself perfectly and securely.... the stock grommet sent with cowl is way to thin and flimsy to secure the cowl at all. No problems with the "feet" rubbers yet.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote