ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

Chain snapped while on my way to work this morning

Was riding along minding my own business when I heard a metal snap, a clank clank noise and felt a loss of power. I instantly grabbed my clutch and coasted to the side of the road. Looked down and saw that my chain was hanging there, and saw that my front sprocket cover was broken with a snap on it.

My handy dandy att roadside assistance picked me and my bike up and drove me the rest of the 2 miles to my work for free . My girl will be bringing my truck and ramp to pick me up after my fun day of work.

Pretty upset, just got new sprockets and this chain about 200 miles ago. It was a d.i.d chain.

I'm sure it was too tight. It had to be, but I didn't think it was that tight though. I've been OCD messing with the adjustment setting after watching tons of vid posted on this forum (Alex had a great one), and others. It was my first time replacing a brand new chain, so I guess I learned something.

Pics of damage to come once I get home from work, and hopefully nothing else is damaged upon further inspection.
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you should consider yourself extremely lucky you weren't injured by the chain.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #3
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walty87 View Post
Was riding along minding my own business when I heard a metal snap, a clank clank noise and felt a loss of power. I instantly grabbed my clutch and coasted to the side of the road. Looked down and saw that my chain was hanging there, and saw that my front sprocket cover was broken with a snap on it.

My handy dandy att roadside assistance picked me and my bike up and drove me the rest of the 2 miles to my work for free . My girl will be bringing my truck and ramp to pick me up after my fun day of work.

Pretty upset, just got new sprockets and this chain about 200 miles ago. It was a d.i.d chain.

I'm sure it was too tight. It had to be, but I didn't think it was that tight though. I've been OCD messing with the adjustment setting after watching tons of vid posted on this forum (Alex had a great one), and others. It was my first time replacing a brand new chain, so I guess I learned something.

Pics of damage to come once I get home from work, and hopefully nothing else is damaged upon further inspection.
New chain and it snapped...you had too much tension on it. Glad you came out of it unscathed. As Alex said, sometimes you can get seriously hurt if it whips you.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Or you biffed the master link install. Was it a rivet or clip style? If it was that tight, check for counter shaft damage and play...
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
Or you biffed the master link install. Was it a rivet or clip style? If it was that tight, check for counter shaft damage and play...
Dis.

Old April 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #6
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Man tell me about it! So thankful nothing worse happened. May play the lottery tonight.

Quote:
Clip type install. I double checked that sucker like 4 times.

I am still a pretty big mechanical noob, what's the best way to double check for counter shaft damage?

Also, I'm in the market for a new chain... Anything you guys recommend? Invent though it was most likely this d.i.d chain snapped I am knd of iffy about that brand. I'm looking at rk or rk gold?

Thanks a lot guys

Old April 19th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #7
old3
ninjette.org sage

Did it come apart at the master link? If so, you may have installed the clip on facing backwards. If not, I'd guess you were waaaaay too tight. Best way to check the CS is grab it and try to shake it. Then, reinstall a chain and ride it, listen for noises and play at the CS.

Hopefully it is just the master clip. If so, I expect you to trace your steps and find that sucker!

Old April 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you didn't ziptie or safetywire the clip, that is the reason it came off. clips come off very easy if they aren't safetywired shut.

the output shaft will wiggle left and right and have play if you damaged the bearings. lengthwise play of a few mm is normal. (pulling/pushing the outputshaft)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #9
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Did it come apart at the master link? If so, you may have installed the clip on facing backwards. If not, I'd guess you were waaaaay too tight. Best way to check the CS is grab it and try to shake it. Then, reinstall a chain and ride it, listen for noises and play at the CS.

Hopefully it is just the master clip. If so, I expect you to trace your steps and find that sucker!
When I get home ill get pics, but the chain is actually in 2 pieces.. When I was walking the bike further off of the road a piece of the chain fell off.

Quote:
if you didn't ziptie or safetywire the clip, that is the reason it came off. clips come off very easy if they aren't safetywired shut.

the output shaft will wiggle left and right and have play if you damaged the bearings. lengthwise play of a few mm is normal. (pulling/pushing the outputshaft)
I'm pretty sure I had the clip facing the correct way. Will make sure I safety wire or zip tie it next time for sure. I didn't know you could do that.

The shaft seemed pretty stiff when I was trying to take the chain off. The chain is stuck on the front sprocket stil and when I briefly tried to dislodge it, the shaftt piiece wasn't moving.

Old April 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #10
old3
ninjette.org sage

Ugh. You may have some real ugliness in there, be sure to inspect for engine case cracks and deformities. Safety wire on the clip is a great idea, but normally if it is installed closed end facing the direction of travel, there is no need for that.

We use a glue/epoxy sometimes to retain them too, but more often we just run them clip only. Lots of street drag, MX and off road chains see far more abuse than a regular street bike and extra measures on the clip is pretty rare in those conditions. My 8 second drag bike buddy uses 2 clip style masters on every chain to easily adjust gearing, no wire on the clip.

If the clip was backwards as it drags thru any guides it catches and is forced right off. Not much on a street bike to drag on but it can happen. I'd guess you may need to pull off the front sprocket just to unlock everything, and you can get a good look in there then too.

Good luck!

Old April 20th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #11
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

ha, we both had about the same situation, my chain only took about 150 miles I think. my clip came off and the chain then followed. was an RK and still bought another RK but with rivet this time, rode it about 190 miles so far and still hangin in there.
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
........the chain is actually in 2 pieces.. When I was walking the bike further off of the road a piece of the chain fell off.......
The clip did let go, chain hit something (did break in two pieces) and did wrap around the small sprocket.

http://www.renoldcrofts.co.za/nmsrun...D=477&sID=1610

Initial tension and chain's brand have nothing to do with this catastrophic failure.

Quote:
...... or by a nasty fall following a locked up rear wheel.

Yep !!! ........... this time you were not riding faster than your guardian angel could fly !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chain spring clip installation.jpg (130.3 KB, 6 views)

Last futzed with by Motofool; April 20th, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added schematic
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #13
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona View Post
ha, we both had about the same situation, my chain only took about 150 miles I think. my clip came off and the chain then followed. was an RK and still bought another RK but with rivet this time, rode it about 190 miles so far and still hangin in there.
What rk chain did yo,u buy the second time? I'm thinking about an rk gold this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The clip did let go, chain hit something (did break in two pieces) and did wrap around the small sprocket.

http://www.renoldcrofts.co.za/nmsrun...D=477&sID=1610

Initial tension and chain's brand have nothing to do with this catastrophic failure.

...... or by a nasty fall following a locked up rear wheel.

Yep !!! ........... this time you were not riding faster than your guardian angel could fly !
I'm thinking that's what did happen to my chain nice post! Someone or something was definitely looking out for me!

After getting my bike home from work last night I was dog tired (was on five hours of sleep), and was starving from not eating all day. So I ate and slept lol. When I get home from work today I'm deft taking pics to post... cause threads are worthless w/o pics, and gonna evaluate the current condition of my poor bike.

Thanks tons guys for the help! I love this forum!

One more thing, so if my chain did wrap around the small front sprocket should I expect catastrophic damage ;( ?? Guess il find out this evening and let ya"ll know

Old April 20th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #14
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I use RK XSO chains on both my bikes and they've been fine.

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #15
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

you should be iffy about your installation not the chain...D.I.D is one of the best...

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #16
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
you should be iffy about your installation not the chain...D.I.D is one of the best...
Don't get me wrong man, I totally believe that this was totally my fault and that I goofed somewhere during the install. Regardless of it being my fault w/ the install I always get weird vibes when stuff break's on me. I'm weird that way

Not the greatest pictures but here is the damage.

Few thoughts and questions for you guys. I cant find bolt and spacer that holds the front sprocket on. I know I looked up the torque spec's and torqued it correctly... Maybe this came off and that's what caused my problem? anyways I have a few questions and hopefully you guys have some answers.

1.) How Eff'd am I? lol..

2.) The counter shaft doesn't seem loose at all, so I'm assuming that it's fine?

3.) Does my front sprocket look in good working condition?

4.) In pics 1,2 and 3 I noticed some small scrapes, and looks like a piece was chipped off. Should I be alright if I just buy a new cover piece and chain? Engine case seems to be alright, but it was kind of dark in my garage this evening, so I'll check it out more tomorrow.

Old April 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM   #17
old3
ninjette.org sage

Did you find the master link? Is that engine oil around the shaft? Was that there before you replaced the chain/sprockets?

Old April 21st, 2013, 07:19 AM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.......I have a few questions and hopefully you guys have some answers.

1.) How Eff'd am I? lol..

2.) The counter shaft doesn't seem loose at all, so I'm assuming that it's fine?

3.) Does my front sprocket look in good working condition?

4.) In pics 1,2 and 3 I noticed some small scrapes, and looks like a piece was chipped off. Should I be alright if I just buy a new cover piece and chain? Engine case seems to be alright, but it was kind of dark in my garage this evening, so I'll check it out more tomorrow.
1) The shaft seems to be bent, but it could be just be the angle of the pics. If so, it must be replaced via surgery in the transmission area.

2) You need to rotate it and measure eccentricity with a dial.

3) Yes.

4) The cast fender was broken-off, but you can live without it (maybe some spread chain lube later on). The nut could have gotten loose at sudden stop and then flew away. If there is no leak of oil or coolant, you are OK.

It seems that the link got disconnected while it was moving aft as part of the lower loop, which got loose and did buckle the chain at the sprocket, jamming it against the cast fender. The upper loop left the rear sprocket, which saved you from a bad accident.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM   #19
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Did you find the master link? Is that engine oil around the shaft? Was that there before you replaced the chain/sprockets?
My chain broke in 2 spots. I think the master link came apart and then broke in another spot I'm assuming from being stuck and jammed up. Master link clip is no where to be found. Pretty sure that's not engine oil and it's actually dirty chain lube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
1) The shaft seems to be bent, but it could be just be the angle of the pics. If so, it must be replaced via surgery in the transmission area.

2) You need to rotate it and measure eccentricity with a dial.

3) Yes.

4) The cast fender was broken-off, but you can live without it (maybe some spread chain lube later on). The nut could have gotten loose at sudden stop and then flew away. If there is no leak of oil or coolant, you are OK.

It seems that the link got disconnected while it was moving aft as part of the lower loop, which got loose and did buckle the chain at the sprocket, jamming it against the cast fender. The upper loop left the rear sprocket, which saved you from a bad accident.
I did take some bad pics so i'm praying that it's not bent. How the heck do I measure this thing? What dial are you talking about? Sorry man I'm really new to this stuff, and am trying to learn.

Old April 21st, 2013, 10:26 AM   #20
old3
ninjette.org sage

If you don't have a magnetic base for a dial gauge or such, you can just hold a pointer, like a pencil, steady against the engine. Keep it fixed within a fraction of an inch at the tip to the shaft and spin the shaft. See if the clearance changes.

Old April 21st, 2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The sprocket is turning counter clockwise. When it suddenly stopped the nut kept going and unscrewed.
If you rode with the nut loose. I would expect the sprocket to walk out and slip off the splines. I guess the tight chain rode up on the front sprocket tooth and jammed.

Lucky the chain gave.

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:01 AM   #22
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If you don't have a magnetic base for a dial gauge or such, you can just hold a pointer, like a pencil, steady against the engine. Keep it fixed within a fraction of an inch at the tip to the shaft and spin the shaft. See if the clearance changes.
Great im doing this when I get home! Thank you!

Anyone by chance know what the shaft is called? Looking for it on various websites and can't find it. Or specifically what the nut and spacer are called?

And daaaaaamn that cover comp chain cover thing is 70 bucks!

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM   #23
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
The sprocket is turning counter clockwise. When it suddenly stopped the nut kept going and unscrewed.
If you rode with the nut loose. I would expect the sprocket to walk out and slip off the splines. I guess the tight chain rode up on the front sprocket tooth and jammed.

Lucky the chain gave.
So if you skid your rear wheel the nut will come off?

I'd be willing to bet that nut coming off had a lot to do with starting the whole event. Did you have a retaining washer bent over the side of the nut? Did it get bent in the same place as a previous install? I reuse them but get a fresh spot to bend. Did you use lock tite?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:09 AM   #24
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
So if you skid your rear wheel the nut will come off?

I'd be willing to bet that nut coming off had a lot to do with starting the whole event. Did you have a retaining washer bent over the side of the nut? Did it get bent in the same place as a previous install? I reuse them but get a fresh spot to bend. Did you use lock tite?
I did. And I re bent it back on. It's now missing since it came off when my chain had an incident

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM   #25
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I think it needs the shock stop of the sprocket locking up, Breaks don't stop that quick and there is the rubber crush,. BUT you must bend that lock tab over.

Old April 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM   #26
old3
ninjette.org sage

The nut was the start of this, I'm 99.9% sure of that. Maybe you didn't get the teeth to lock the splines or something. I can lock the wheel just as fast with the rear brake at 100 MPH if I really wanted to. That explanation doesn't make sense to me.

What measurement did you use for chain tension? Nut unscrewed, chain too tight, a few different variables here. Sprocket walked over, master clip caught the guard.... carnage ensues.

Old April 21st, 2013, 12:18 PM   #27
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
The nut was the start of this, I'm 99.9% sure of that.
What measurement did you use for chain tension? Nut unscrewed, chain too tight, a few different variables here. Sprocket walked over, master clip caught the guard.... carnage ensues.
Makes sense and I believe this is prob the reason as well.

Still looking for the nut on various parts websites, any idea what that shaft is called the nut goes on?

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM   #28
old3
ninjette.org sage

Typically called the counter shaft or final/drive shaft.

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:10 PM   #29
old3
ninjette.org sage

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...a/transmission

92015 is the nut

92200 is the lock washer

13128 is the shaft, (SHAFT-TRANSMISSION OUTPUT)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM   #30
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
What rk chain did yo,u buy the second time? I'm thinking about an rk gold this time around.
I bought the RK X-Ring Chain 520XS0 or something like that
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:31 PM   #31
old3
ninjette.org sage

Installed correctly, the store branded chains in O or X ring from Rocky Mountain ATV are great. We switched a few years ago from top brand drive stuff and see no difference in life of the parts. Cheap too.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...H-X-Ring-Chain

O ring is even cheaper, just get the correct number of links.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...O-O-Ring-Chain

Gold is an option too, if you care.

Old April 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM   #32
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Unhappy

Quote:
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...a/transmission

92015 is the nut

92200 is the lock washer

13128 is the shaft, (SHAFT-TRANSMISSION OUTPUT)

Quote:
Installed correctly, the store branded chains in O or X ring from Rocky Mountain ATV are great. We switched a few years ago from top brand drive stuff and see no difference in life of the parts. Cheap too.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...H-X-Ring-Chain

O ring is even cheaper, just get the correct number of links.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...O-O-Ring-Chain

Gold is an option too, if you care.
Thanks tons Old! And everyone else!

So if my shaft is bent, how hard is it to replace that shaft? I may be looking to take it to the hop at that point

Old April 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM   #33
old3
ninjette.org sage

If it is, it depends on how badly it is bent. If it is bent, I'd probably ride with it to see if it affects the dynamics of the bike, then monitor seal life and noises. It requires a complete tear down of the engine, not cheap nor easy.

How tight was the chain?

Old April 21st, 2013, 03:05 PM   #34
walty87
ninjette.org guru

I would have guessed 20mm to 25mm of free wiggle room on the chain play

Old April 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM   #35
old3
ninjette.org sage

The key is to have at least a half inch when the rear axle, the swing arm axle and the center of the countershaft are in alignment. You can either compress the shock or remove it to align that and set it, then check it at rest to get a baseline you can use everyday.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:40 AM   #36
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the output shaft looks like it has been pulled out slightly... might be crazy but i thought the smooth bearing surface was not out so far..

Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #37
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
the output shaft looks like it has been pulled out slightly... might be crazy but i thought the smooth bearing surface was not out so far..
Well I'd have no idea! Haha any pro's??

Alex, for once I hope you're wrong! Lol no hard feelings

Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://s68.photobucket.com/user/prim..._9952.jpg.html its hard to find the right photo. im probably crazy.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:49 PM   #39
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That last photo is a first gen engine. No threads. But I want to agree with Alex. The shaft looks to clean like is is pulled out. I will check it out when I get home.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #40
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
That last photo is a first gen engine. No threads. But I want to agree with Alex. The shaft looks to clean like is is pulled out. I will check it out when I get home.
I cleaned it really well. Hahaha! Any way I can't test the bike to see if there's anything wrong