ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

View Poll Results: How much did you pay (OTD) for your 2013 Ninja 300?
Less than $5000 (non-abs) 19 22.09%
$5000 - $5299 (non-abs) 16 18.60%
$5300 - $5599 (non-abs) 19 22.09%
$5600 - $5999 (non-abs) 7 8.14%
$6000 - $6299 (non-abs) 4 4.65%
More than $6300 (non-abs) 5 5.81%
Less than $5000 (abs) 1 1.16%
$5000 - $5299 (abs) 0 0%
$5300 - $5599 (abs) 3 3.49%
$5600 - $5999 (abs) 1 1.16%
$6000 - $6299 (abs) 3 3.49%
$6300 - $6699 (abs) 7 8.14%
More than $6700 (abs) 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #201
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

2013 Ebony 300 bought from Mission motors for $5725 OTD. A bit high for my liking but I had money to spare so I pulled the trigger. Did some phone shopping and got an initial quote from Hollister powersports for $5600 and then called every other dealer in the Bay Area.

East Bay in Hayward offered to match the price after giving me some attitude so I decided against East Bay and went to Mission.
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #202
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Norman

Motorcycle(s): BMW K12RS, DL650 , New 2013 "WonderBike" Ninja300SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
2013 Ebony 300 bought from Mission motors for $5725 OTD. A bit high for my liking but I had money to spare so I pulled the trigger. Did some phone shopping and got an initial quote from Hollister powersports for $5600 and then called every other dealer in the Bay Area.

East Bay in Hayward offered to match the price after giving me some attitude so I decided against East Bay and went to Mission.
How does that break down considering your CA sales taxes, licensing fees, other charges....?
Xplorguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #203
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorguy View Post
How does that break down considering your CA sales taxes, licensing fees, other charges....?
I don't have the paperwork in front of me but the break down would depend on the dealer... they could rearrange the figures as they please.

For example, they could list the base price below MSRP and increase the amounts for assembly and paperwork fees. It all depends on how the dealer wants to play it but your bottom line remains the same.

The dealer and I agreed on $5725 OTD and that's exactly how much I paid (all fees included).

Old April 29th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #204
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
How much would a ninja 300 Non-SE cost if it had around 2,400 miles already on it? I found a guy who is trying to sell it for $5200, which I think is high, considering that I could get a brand new one for $200 more via the Costco program and 0 miles. Everything is stock and he says it's never been dropped, etc. I won't be able to take a physical look at it until Friday, maybe, if schedules do not conflict.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #205
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Yeah... $5200 seems a bit steep for used and 2400 miles. Closer to the $5000 mark (maybe below $5000) would be a worthwhile deal.

You should shop around a bit to see what OTD prices are with the Costco deal. If its still a couple of hundred difference (and you can afford it) then a new one might be better. You could also use that as a bargaining chip to get the guy to go down on price.

Good luck!

Old April 29th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #206
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Me, I like the new one idea. 2,400 miles is a long way from new. Break-in style? Service records? How many oil changes? When? Why is he selling? How did he use the bike?
If you like everything you see and here and ride it and its beautiful ...what about $4,400.....?

Old April 29th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #207
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
All good points. I have checked a few Costco dealerships and know what I should be paying brand new. Recently, I checked a local dealer and he wanted $6300 for the non-SE, of course, I literally told him that he was crazy and that I would go somewhere else. I've received the gamut of excuses too, "It's in high demand," "I'm already losing on this," blah blah blah. Frankly, I dgaf what your (the dealer/seller) issues are, as they don't concern me and really, why do you think I care? The sympathy/guilt trip doesn't work on me. I also checked Kelley Blue Book for used and it was giving me the price of $4,3xx, which isn't too far off from $4,400. Fortunately, I have patience and I'm willing to wait and not overpay.

Old April 29th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #208
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

This is such a tough time of the year to find the bike you want at the price you should be able to pay. Here in Oregon nothing happens at the dealerships until early March and then they can't keep up with the right bikes (who knew when they had to place their orders months before.) So they only have so many coming in......You may have to cast your net a little farther away to find new at a fair price. Wish you well in your search and keep us posted!

Old April 29th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #209
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorguy View Post
This is such a tough time of the year to find the bike you want at the price you should be able to pay. Here in Oregon nothing happens at the dealerships until early March and then they can't keep up with the right bikes (who knew when they had to place their orders months before.) So they only have so many coming in......You may have to cast your net a little farther away to find new at a fair price. Wish you well in your search and keep us posted!
Yup, this was exactly my situation when I was buying. There were two other people looking at my 300 as I was doing to paperwork. So, there's really no incentive for dealers to come down drastically on prices especially during riding season and with lots of demand for the 300.

It'll be interesting to see how much they'll go for in December 2013 (if there's any still leftover).

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #210
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

7300$ Non ABS OTD... I've been Ripped Damn Indian taxes...

Old April 30th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #211
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
You may have to cast your net a little farther away to find new at a fair price.
Yeah, I'm willing to travel to get the price I want. I have a lot of vacation time, so I just see it as a mini-vacation.

Old April 30th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #212
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Yeah, I'm willing to travel to get the price I want. I have a lot of vacation time, so I just see it as a mini-vacation.
Sounds like a sweet plan! I'm sure you'll be able to find great deals once you're at dealerships outside of the big cities.

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #213
varun_cali
ninjette.org newbie

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Thanks @five10, but I think you may have misread my post. I'm looking for a NON-ABS SE (Green). It seems like you were fortunate enough to have some dealer offer you that for $5,500 OTD. That's the dealer I should be speaking with LOL Can you point me in the right direction please? Right now, the lowest I've gotten on the Green Non-ABS is $6,100 OTD. Feel free to PM me the dealer info if you prefer not to post it publicly. Cheers!
varun_cali is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #214
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
Sounds like a sweet plan! I'm sure you'll be able to find great deals once you're at dealerships outside of the big cities.
Yeah, in fact other dealerships that are way out of the way (from where I am located) are offering what I am willing to pay, so it's a win win to me. I never checked my local dealerships because they don't participate in the Costco program, but I figured I'll ask just to see what number they were going to spit out and sure enough, it was blasphemous, lol.

Old April 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #215
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

It will be a good adventure picking up the bike and riding it home...

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #216
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
I don't plan on that, I plan on towing it or shipping, as I am a beginner and won't have that type of riding experience yet.

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #217
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Shipping may be pricey....hopefully you can recruit a friend with a pickup truck...still an adventure!

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:50 AM   #218
five10
ninjette.org member

Name: Nasty

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ebony Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun_cali View Post
Thanks @five10, but I think you may have misread my post. I'm looking for a NON-ABS SE (Green). It seems like you were fortunate enough to have some dealer offer you that for $5,500 OTD. That's the dealer I should be speaking with LOL Can you point me in the right direction please? Right now, the lowest I've gotten on the Green Non-ABS is $6,100 OTD. Feel free to PM me the dealer info if you prefer not to post it publicly. Cheers!
Yeap, misread your post. All of the quotes you got are high because the dealerships are trying to "set the bar" on the negotiation and they're setting it high. One reason may be because it's already riding season so there are a ton of riders flooding the market with demand -- coupled with seemingly low supply = high price... they set the price high because they can.

To clarify, I got mine for $5,400 OTD delivery. I also got mine at the end of March which coincided with the end of the fiscal quarter. Salesmen and dealerships do deals then, as stated in the post in my thread.

Here's what you can do.
1) Read the posts on my thread. Link in my signature.
2) Either set the bar for the OTD price yourself or set the bar using the other dealership's #'s -- in your case $6100.
On the phone, you can see if a dealership can match or beat that $6100 by a few hundred and talk them down a few hundred more in person. Take this quote and ask the next dealer to match or beat it. Wash, rinse, repeat, very simple.
3) When you get within a few hundred dollars of your asking price, go to the dealership with literally cash in hand (alla csmith in the post on my sig) and chat with them about the bike you want. This is probably the only way you will get the bike at the price you want.
4) Convince the dealer that they want the money in their pocket right that instant or you'll be taking your money somewhere else. Coincidentally, they're more receptive to that argument around the last 2 days of the month.

If there are any further questions regarding tips for buying new bikes, refer to my thread.

To address the dealership issue, it does not matter which dealership. 1) I got quotes from dealerships all over Norcal that's around the OTD $5500 mark over the phone and in person. The crux is the timing -- I did it at the end of March. This is the beginning of May. 2) No dealership will just give you some price that you found on the internet. Sometimes they don't even honor their own advertised prices. 3) Go earn the price by negotiating with them. No dealership will give you a low OTD price unless they have a very (VERY) large incentive to move that bike that instant. You might also get more stuff that you need like gear, supplies, and service deals.

Lastly, good luck with the buy. If you literally only have $5500, pull a csmith. If you don't get the price, either get a 250 or wait till later in the season where you'll have a larger money cushion -- for important things like bargaining, gear, insurance, etc. -- and the price drops as demand will wane.

Old May 1st, 2013, 04:09 PM   #219
Neenja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (09), 300 (pearl white)

Hi guys, I'm relatively new here. From SoCal in Santee (East San Diego County).

I got lucky and got mine for $4300 in LA for a pearl non-abs with back seat cargo bag and two bros exhaust with only 1,500 miles from a RN!!!!! It was worth the 4 hour drive. That was about 3 weeks ago.

Before that Had 5000 cash in hand and no dealer was willing to go that low. I called each one in the county and walked in and they gave me OTD pricing of $6300-6700 for non-ABS models. Only dealer that has had a good deal is Vey's Powersports in El Cajon. They had a non-ABS OTD price for $5400 but that was just one and it sold quick.

I also tried to use the Costco program but due to "high demand" there were no dealer's that would work with their pricing at the time I checked.

There has been some in La area going for $5k when i checked. Just make sure that they are paid off and have the title.

Last futzed with by Neenja; May 1st, 2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added comment
Neenja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #220
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
$5642.46 OTD (not too bad), I am a new owner! Will be shipped, probably tomorrow or sometime by the end of the week. ^_^

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #221
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
$5642.46 OTD (not too bad), I am a new owner! Will be shipped, probably tomorrow or sometime by the end of the week. ^_^
congratulations
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #222
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Congrats! Which color?

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #223
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:

Congrats!!! Got cheaper than me!
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #224
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Thanks all! Stardust white, yeah I told the dude I was only going to pay a certain amount. Luckily, I only had to travel an hour away and didn't have to go down to l.a. or the bay area. MSF for me starts tomorrow and the weekend, hopefully I pass lol.

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #225
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Good Job! You did very well.... Persistence Pays!! You will enjoy the MSF course too.............

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #226
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Awesome
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #227
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I saw a 300 w/ABS including Power Commander, frame sliders, and Pazzo levers for only $4950 on Craigslist. Not even past the break-in period. I tried to jump on it but it was sold to the very first person. Would've gotten there first if there had been a practical way to pull out that much cash at odd hours
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #228
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Start hitting multiple ATMs... You know cause I've never been to 6 different ones in one day before....
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #229
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

For those who have purchased the Ninja 300, do they give you temporary insurance before you ride off? I am thinking of getting mine this weekend.

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #230
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

No I don't think so. Not for me, maybe in other states, but I doubt it.

I knew the serial number of my bike before picking up so I just did it online a 2 days before picking it up. If you don't know your serial number yet and will find out when you purchase, you can phone in for insurance also - at least with Progressive who I use.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #231
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If you already have motorcycle insurance on another bike, the policy typically covers new vehicles you purchase for a 3-day grace period. Call your insurance company / agent ahead of time to confirm the details.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 02:13 PM   #232
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Got a black one today for $5300 out the door. Out of 10 dealers I called this is the only one that was not gouging the price of the black one to $5000 , $5900 out the door. Glad I was able to find one though! So excited.
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 08:08 PM   #233
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT505 View Post
Got a black one today for $5300 out the door. Out of 10 dealers I called this is the only one that was not gouging the price of the black one to $5000 , $5900 out the door. Glad I was able to find one though! So excited.
Congratulations on the new bike!!!

Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:11 AM   #234
joe_5700
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
I don't plan on that, I plan on towing it or shipping, as I am a beginner and won't have that type of riding experience yet.
Oh come on be adventurous. I bought my first bike (a white 300) a week after MSF and rode it back home 50+ miles no problem. The 300 felt natural after about 5 miles.
joe_5700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM   #235
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_5700 View Post
Oh come on be adventurous. I bought my first bike (a white 300) a week after MSF and rode it back home 50+ miles no problem. The 300 felt natural after about 5 miles.
I also didn't have my M1 at the time nor could I risk getting caught (for reasons I won't go into). I'm happy with my choice and I'm still adventurous.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #236
joe_5700
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I also didn't have my M1 at the time nor could I risk getting caught (for reasons I won't go into). I'm happy with my choice and I'm still adventurous.
Ok. Now this is what is so strange to me. The order of operations in my twisted mind was to first get my M endorsement and then get a motorcycle. I think I was the ONLY one in the MSF class who DIDN'T already own a motorcycle... Is it just me? Putting a bike on a trailer or in the back of a pickup just seems...stupid... Don't buy the damn thing if you canonot legally ride it! /rant

Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:56 PM   #237
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_5700 View Post
Ok. Now this is what is so strange to me. The order of operations in my twisted mind was to first get my M endorsement and then get a motorcycle. I think I was the ONLY one in the MSF class who DIDN'T already own a motorcycle... Is it just me? Putting a bike on a trailer or in the back of a pickup just seems...stupid... Don't buy the damn thing if you canonot legally ride it! /rant
Maybe not just you but certainly a small irrelevant minority opinion.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #238
joe_5700
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Maybe not just you but certainly a small irrelevant minority opinion.
Please explain how this logic is irrelevant?

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #239
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Calling people stupid on one of your first posts on this site is not logical.
I will PM you.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:43 PM   #240
joe_5700
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Calling people stupid on one of your first posts on this site is not logical.
I will PM you.
Sorry. To me it just doesn't make any sense (buying a motorcycle and not being able to legally ride it). Hopefully your PM will straighten me out. Thanks.