ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Tubesock
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Lubing the chain after washing?

I lubed the chain already today but now I'm going to wash the bike. Should I re-lube and clean the chain after I finish washing?

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM   #2
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Not unless you plan on plan on hosing the chain down, which you really shouldn't do to begin with. When you wash your bike most folks suggest that you use the old bucket system and a very light mist to rinse it off; not the fire hose paint pealing method.

Old May 31st, 2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You should be fine as long as you don't get any soap on the chain and rinse the lube off.
After you wash & dry the bike feel the chain for a thin film of lube. If it's there then you're ok if not then just re-lube.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:47 PM   #4
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

i clean chain, then use maxima chain wax, then a bit later wash bike. i don't get water on chain directly (obviously some water gets on it). i then feel the chain when bike is dry to make sure it still has the wax over it. seems to work fine. waxing or oiling a wet chain could "seal" in some moisture.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM   #5
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Most lubes recommend you apply them to a warm chain. I'd throw a little chain lube on after the washing and take it for a short ride to warm up the chain and then lube it fully.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #6
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

any DIY on lubing the chain?
Thanks,
Tin
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #7
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Tin, as far as I know there isn't yet, but it's really simple - get it warm by going on a short ride, and then lift the rear wheel up on stands and carefully apply the wax/lube to the chain, being careful not to get it on the tire while rotating the chain. I start tat the marked link and know I've made it all the way around when I get there again. Some folks let the clutch out slowly and let the wheel rotate that way, I do it manually in neutral.

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #8
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Tin, as far as I know there isn't yet, but it's really simple - get it warm by going on a short ride, and then lift the rear wheel up on stands and carefully apply the wax/lube to the chain, being careful not to get it on the tire while rotating the chain. I start tat the marked link and know I've made it all the way around when I get there again. Some folks let the clutch out slowly and let the wheel rotate that way, I do it manually in neutral.
Thanks Kim.
I will do as you said after I change my oil today.
Hopefully, it will not rain when I get home from work.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I saw some horror movie one time (late 70s or early 80s), and this long haired kid has his Suzy RM mxer up on a crate and he is running the bike in gear, rear wheel off the ground. someone or something comes up behind him and flings his long hair into the chain/sprocket. what a way to go.

so be careful around a running wheel, especially near the chain and sprocket. getting ones fingers in there would be like a perpetual dog bite, and a nasty dog at that.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

I would definitely not run the bike while doing the chain. Good way to lose some digits.

It's too easy to just rotate the wheel with your hand to bother letting the bike run.

And if you're washing with a hose, check your chain after as people have said to see if you need to lube it again.

I don't "wash" my bikes anymore so no big deal for me. I just keep them clean with a rag and detailer. Take the fairings off every now and then and clean the harder to reach spots.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote