ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 15th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #1
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Three Questions From A New Rider

1. Is there any way to get a digital PDF service manual for the 86-07 250 without having to plop down $40 for it and $40 for the addendum manual? I don't mind paying, but just wondering before I spend the money when I could have gotten a PDF of it for free.

---------------

2. While taxiing my bike at home (turning it around), I had the engine running to warm up, and I discovered that when I turn the handlebars all the way to the right, the engine revs up to 4k (no higher). I've done a lot of searching on many forums, and they all point to the same suspicion that I have - some kind of tension caused by a cable being routed funny. This didn't happen when I first got the bike, so it must have shifted at some point recently.

I've traced both the choke cable and throttle cables and ensured they are both freely moving and not being pulled, and have watched their connection points under the seat area while turning the bars, and neither lever are being moved at all...

As the tach caps at 4k when it happens, I assume that this is probably the choke getting pulled, but since neither cable are being pulled/pushed/kinked, and the levers are not being operated at the engine, I'm at a loss as to what this could be. Any ideas?

---------------

3. I finally got the time to clean and lube the chain after buying my (used) bike, and I discovered some discoloration on the links (image attached) once the grime was removed. I'm assuming that it's a bit of rust, and it doesn't seem to be much more than just on the surface, but is this enough rust that I should be looking into getting a new chain soon, or it this not all that severe?

The chain slack seems okay (40mm), and there's no missing or damaged parts, including the o-rings.

Last futzed with by goldfox; June 15th, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
goldfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #2
GeorgeRYoung
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): EX250, C10 Concours

questions 2 and 3

2) It's probably a cable

3) a bit of rust is not a problem, oil on the chain doesn't hurt
GeorgeRYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #3
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Yeah, the cable answer seems to be the likely cause, but I just can't seem to find any cable that's being twiddled at all. I'll keep fidgeting with them and see if maybe I move one in just the right way to stop it, then I'll either know what happened and feel like a moron, or be completely clueless, lol.

The chain doesn't bind or do anything wrong, so I'm not overly concerned with it in the immediate sense, but I'm not sure if it's on it's way to a doomed fate in the next couple thousand miles or so. Thanks for the reassurance!

Old June 15th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

1) Yes.

2) Looking at the carbs, you can see if the slider for the choke or the lever for the throttle move at all when you move the handlebar from lock to lock.
If so, it could be insufficient play in the inner cable or wrong route of the cable. The manual shows how the cables should be routed.

3) According to the teeth of the sprocket, that chain is almost new. The rust is exterior and it doesn't matter. Try to find red stains next the o-rings; that means that the internal lubrication has escaped at that point (which is not good).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #5
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Do a google search for ninja250 or GPX250 service manual, you will find some where you have to pay and you will find some for free. Alternatively, you can look on ebay and pay someone for a copy that they probably downloaded for free.
With your handlebars turned causing the high idle, try moving the throttle cables to see if that changes the engine speed. You could also increase the play in the cable.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #6
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Alright, just to update, I finally fixed the handlebar problem today!

I had tried monitoring where the connections to the engine are for both the throttle and the choke, thinking that I would see even a tiny bit of movement, but there was nothing. I even had another person come stare at the connections to to make sure I wasn't just imagining that they were stationary.

@baxtc1 had the right idea to trigger the solution. I had jostled the cables with the bars forward, but I didn't do it while they were turned to the right. Doing this caused there to be a reduction/gain in RPMs when I moved the throttle cable around. Once I had the source of the problem, I only needed to loosen the throttle cable adjuster (at the handlebar), and it went away completely!

Thanks for helping me out everyone - I'm glad I got this fixed! Now I know what to do if it happens again.

I've also gotten a copy of the service manual & supplement now, and that's going to be a wonderful utility during my ownership of the bike!