ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

SS lines and bleeding the brakes

i have been looking everywhere for a very detailed and proper guide for not only bleeding the brakes but putting on new SS lines too and i just cant seem to find anything all that great, I often have questions that these guides do not answer.

I watched all 4 parts of the STG videos + an extra brake bleeding video they have done. Please let me know if i have this correct as i plan on adding my ss lines very shortly lol.

Link to original page on YouTube.

1)In order to install SS lines i need to completely get rid of all the brake fluid in the system until the reservoir is empty (meaning there will be air in the system)

2)After that, Take off the rear brake lines, add the new ss lines

3)Fill the rear reservoir back up with the new fluid and use whichever method you have (i have a Stockton bleeder pump/gun.) to get the fluid back into the lines. Now they use the "manual" way, id want to use my bleeder gun.

It'd accomplish the same thing though, right? Once i have the new fluid in the reservoir i simply use the pump to pull the air out of the lines and it'll also pull the new fluid right behind the air and i just continue that process until theres no bubbles.

Do i have this correct or am i completely lost?

Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yepp, you're right!

just remember to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir. As you fill the lines, you'll need to keep filling the reservoir so it doesn't run dry, allowing you to suck more air into the line.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yepp, you're right!

just remember to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir. As you fill the lines, you'll need to keep filling the reservoir so it doesn't run dry, allowing you to suck more air into the line.
perfect.
Was confusing the hell out of me because every guide i saw the person would say in no way do you want to completely empty your resovoir due to the air being in ur system. Then i watched the STG videos and thats the first thing they did lol.

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, you have to empty it in order to replace the line, or else it would just drip out of the hole where the banjo should be.

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

I would still manually pump bleed the brakes after. vaccum bleeders don't get tiny air bubble trapped in the caliper around the pistons and in the master. you'll need to pump them out.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
I would still manually pump bleed the brakes after. vaccum bleeders don't get tiny air bubble trapped in the caliper around the pistons and in the master. you'll need to pump them out.
ugh dont tell me that i want things to go as smoothly as possible lol.

Its alright though, i got plenty of time and 3 bottles of the brake fluid

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
3 bottles??? I was able to do both brakes with one bottle that was the first time I'd bleed any brakes.

Trust me, it's not hard. People just have trouble with it when they can't get the rhythem right. Mine aren't race-bike-perfect. but they feel darn good to me.

Old July 13th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

What tools are required? for such a jerb on our 250s @choneofakind

Old July 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
What tools are required? for such a jerb on our 250s @choneofakind
Some vinyl tubing, some kind of reservoir for the bled fluid, and a wrench (8 mm?)
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLick415 View Post
Some vinyl tubing, some kind of reservoir for the bled fluid, and a wrench (8 mm?)
rear banjo inbetween the wheel and the exhaust is stripped, ofc..has to be the hardest one to get out >.<

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

12mm for banjos, 8mm for bkeeder, 3/16 nylon hose for bleeding, and 6 point wrench or socket for rear banjo
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #12
BIGREDIOWAN
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I ordered the APEX lines with the group buy folks and plan on doing the switch myself. I'm not really worried about doing it myself because I can figure just about anything out given enough time, but these are the brakes and obviously it's important to not screw it up. So basically if I follow the video up above to install the lines, then follow their other video on bleeding............I should be good right? Should I buy that kit? I don't really want to, but if it's necessary I will.
BIGREDIOWAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #13
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

Yeah just follows the vids. It's not rocket surgery, but getting it right is important.

Be particularly cautious when doing that first ride to test them. Start real slow!. Last thing you want it to need to stop in a hurry and find you have no brake feel.
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Runeknight95
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): 08 cbr1000rr, 2008 + 2012 ninja 250, 06 zx6r (636!) track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
This

I put ss lines on my cbr and zx6 and pumped a few times after using the pump. Youll need a friend to do it right. I have the speed bleeders on my cbr, i think they sell a solo $10 tool to do solo bleeding as well
Runeknight95 is offline   Reply With Quote