ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you use a camera? Helmet or bike mounted?
Yes, every ride 17 34.00%
Yes, occasionally 9 18.00%
Yes, but only on the track 1 2.00%
Never, the risk is too high 2 4.00%
Never, but only because I don't own one (yet) 21 42.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #1
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Do you use a riding camera regularly?

Searched but didn't find a similar thread...

Given all of the recent events within the past year or two, do you use one?

We've had everything from motorcyclists pulled over (and subsequently arrested) for seizures of cameras, motorcyclists charged based on video footage, warrants for computer and camera seizures based on online videos, felony charges for illegally recording audio of someone without prior notification, etc. There have also been members of this forum that have used the video as evidence against someone in an accident situation and it's helped.

There is the obvious benefit of capturing your own riding skills, capturing accidents, etc. but have the risks gotten too high?

I personally ride with a Contour (RIP) mounted to the side of my helmet. I am a law abiding citizen and don't feel as though I have much to worry about with self-incrimination, etc. and the benefits of capturing illegal driving by others that may injure me or others significantly outweigh the risks.

I'm just looking for opinions from you guys, I've gathered from other threads that some of you have a pretty strong stance against them, others for them.

Do you use one? Do you use it regularly? Do you only use it for off-road applications (track)? Is it hidden? Why or why not use one? Did the video ever help you with an insurance claim/ticket? Did it ever hurt you?
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #2
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Mine is for just in case there's an accident. A camera will 1)let my wife know what happened if I crash and don't come home, 2)perhaps capture things that can serve as educational opportunities for others..... like why we must let cars lead off ahead of us when the light turns green. Just yesterday I filmed someone blatantly running a red light and put it on youtube.

Old October 17th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I now have 3 cams.

Contour on the helmet
A gopro that I mount on the bike in various spots for the vids I want to get (entertainment and skill evaluation)

And... an 808 keychain cam that is tucked up under the front fairing. IE out of sight but not really hidden either.

To me, the rewards outweigh the risks. I use the 808 every time I ride, street or track as insurance that I/someone else can recall what really happened or what I may have missed. I use the other cams as needed to capture what "I" want for my own personal reasons. Never used video to get out of any trouble, cause anyone any trouble nor for insurance reason.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I've been meaning to pick up the 808 camera. It a lil hassle setting up the go pro.

Old October 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I have two Contours, one on the helmet and the other on the bike. I have a third in pieces that i need a new lens for (not the lens cover the actual lens inside). Been meaning to get an 808 for the under headlight position.

I record for the neat and scenic roads. It doesn't run all the time but if i feel like traffic warrants it i'll flick it on to cover my tush in case things go wrong. I don't worry about it being used against me as its very obvious that i have it and its on and i don't break the law while riding.

I definitely use it at the track to record the whole session.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #6
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I have two Contours, one on the helmet and the other on the bike. I have a third in pieces that i need a new lens for (not the lens cover the actual lens inside). Been meaning to get an 808 for the under headlight position.

I record for the neat and scenic roads. It doesn't run all the time but if i feel like traffic warrants it i'll flick it on to cover my tush in case things go wrong. I don't worry about it being used against me as its very obvious that i have it and its on and i don't break the law while riding.

I definitely use it at the track to record the whole session.
Try the 808v16 replacement... the mobius camera. Just got one in the mail. It's much more square than the 808 and you can buy little hard plastic sleeves for it to mount to stuff. Oh and it's 720p60 and 1080p30. and it lasts a little longer on the battery.

Old October 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #7
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
No sir... Don't got no fancy cameras, maybe one day

Old October 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
After my last crash, I got cameras running all the time. One on the helmet facing forward, and one on the bike facing to the rear.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

all day, err day
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:44 AM   #10
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Contour on the helmet all the time. Evidence for all sorts of purposes.
What risk is there?
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 11:33 AM   #11
rasta
Your face

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Not nearly as much as I should. The way my camera is setup, it's just too inconvenient to turn it on everytime. But after this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154877

I'll have a camera that starts recording as soon as power is supplied. Which is awesome.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM   #12
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

If I had one I would ride with the camera 24/7...
contour looked like the best option
but now that contour is out of bzness, do people still buy those clearance contour???
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM   #13
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Name: pimpybra

Motorcycle(s): Yellow 2002 Ninja 250

I have a Contour ROAM for my helmet, that I was using religiously.... until the SD card filled up. I haven't connected it to my laptop in MONTHS to clear the card, so I haven't used it in ages.

I was also using the camera w/ a suction mount in my car when driving too.

All of it was for "just in case" if I had an accident or saw something cool/crazy/etc.

I really need to get it going again.
pimpybra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 01:36 PM   #14
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1dayn1ght View Post
do people still buy those clearance contour???
I have an older 1080 HD contour that I just recently had to fix (take apart and re-solder power button). I looked around for the clearance ones before I took it apart to figure out if I could fix it and was disappointed to find that the roam is almost the only option left out there.

I don't like the roam because it's a permanent battery. My main use for the camera is snowboarding, and in a typical day I burn through two fully charged batteries. I need the ability to swap.

I hope someone picks up contour and brings them back to life... imo, gopro could buy them up and get everything going again, call it the go-pro slim mount or something... I can't stand the "teletubby" look of a gopro mounted on the top of my head and will never own a gopro until they offer a different shape.

Old October 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM   #15
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
What risk is there?
it being used against you...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/15/...aped-joy-ride/

Old October 21st, 2013, 02:31 PM   #16
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Ohhh. You mean the risk of being a bonehead.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 02:34 PM   #17
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I now have 3 cams.

Contour on the helmet
A gopro that I mount on the bike in various spots for the vids I want to get (entertainment and skill evaluation)

And... an 808 keychain cam that is tucked up under the front fairing. IE out of sight but not really hidden either.

To me, the rewards outweigh the risks. I use the 808 every time I ride, street or track as insurance that I/someone else can recall what really happened or what I may have missed. I use the other cams as needed to capture what "I" want for my own personal reasons. Never used video to get out of any trouble, cause anyone any trouble nor for insurance reason.
I am thinking to do the same thing, 808 under the front fairing but did you do any waterproofing stuff??? i dont think it is waterproof out of the box
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 03:09 PM   #18
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
Ohhh. You mean the risk of being a bonehead.
no, not really.

the risk of an officer pulling you over for a minor "every day" offense like say driving 10 mph over the limit. He seizes your camera, reviews what's on the card, and you get 10 tickets in the mail from all of the previous days of riding that you recorded but never deleted.

it's a stretch, and I acknowledge that, but there's no landmark cases saying they can't do it, but several examples that they can.

Old October 21st, 2013, 03:53 PM   #19
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
no, not really.

the risk of an officer pulling you over for a minor "every day" offense like say driving 10 mph over the limit. He seizes your camera, reviews what's on the card, and you get 10 tickets in the mail from all of the previous days of riding that you recorded but never deleted.

it's a stretch, and I acknowledge that, but there's no landmark cases saying they can't do it, but several examples that they can.
While you are saying this, you allow the officer to violate your privacy like that? Are you saying that any officer come to your bike/car, and ask to seize your dash cam / camera, you would allow them to do so??

Fine, if they force their way to get the camera. Then in court all you have to say is they violated whatever rights, privacy that you have. The videos will be deemed invalid to prosecute you. It might be different from states to states.
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
No but only because I don't have one yet. I am planning on getting one.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:29 PM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
I am thinking to do the same thing, 808 under the front fairing but did you do any waterproofing stuff??? i dont think it is waterproof out of the box
Nope, it's not waterproof to my knowledge. They say it's water resistant but I haven't tested that. I normally remove it and slip it in my bag before the street/track gets wet. I honestly don't do much riding in the rain on the street and I have gotten lucky this track season, only 3 rainy days.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:55 PM   #22
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

Please tell me this is illegal, cuz im so close to getting a helmet camera...
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 07:03 PM   #23
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Same.

Especially since I live in NY where there's no question about it that cops are indeed targeting bikers.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:49 AM   #24
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
i think it's a big question mark at this point. See the article I posted above, it happened to those guys, but that's in Canada.

And then there was this event: http://jalopnik.com/5920653/frustrat...-helmet-camera
but I think the officer ended up being suspended, and the guy has filed a lawsuit, so we'll see where that one goes.

I haven't read this article yet, but this looks like it covers the topic... http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/vide...ry?id=11179076

Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:00 AM   #25
tc.young
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): '89 klr 650, '00 250r

recording my daily commute is the mail reason why i picked up my gopro. being able to record me riding on good roads is added benefit. video proof is another way you have to protect yourself against the world.
tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:13 AM   #26
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Don't record when you're doing dumb ****...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM   #27
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Don't record when you're doing dumb ****...
and the guy who was facing 16 years in prison for a felony charge of recording an officer without permission while riding down a public road?

sure, he got a ticket for his speeding, but felony charges because he had a camera running when an non uniformed, off-duty police officer pulls a gun on him.

Even though the case was dismissed, think about the money that guy had to pay to get a lawyer to fight it. Do you have hundreds of thousands of dollars lying around to fight the government?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Graber

Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:17 AM   #28
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I'm just seeing that he was doing dumb **** at the time, which probably didn't help.

I'm personally not really paranoid of the government.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #29
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

every ride i have a gen 1 go pro on top of my helmet. I use a camera to capture anything interesting. Why just today some prius left turned in front of me, had i not been paying attention it could have made for an interesting video.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:15 PM   #30
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

2 Go Pro's, helmet cam and rear facing cam. Never touch the bike without them. Part of my mandatory list of equipment before I put the keys in the ignition.