ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 30th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #1
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r SE

Got my koso!

Got my new Koso gauge today for my 250 and the plug and play kit I'll be putting my bike inside my living room tonight and get at it! I'll record a video though there are already some floating around one more couldn't hurt! It looks so pretty :P Just had to brag!
JanqeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #2
burnrich
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): gpx 250

Dude Sweeeeet

Post some pics of your install. I'm trying to square away a koso rx-2n for my Ninja (3rd Gen) '07. The backing board for the cluster is the main problem at the moment and it's looks like the current Koso kits are incompatible with the older model bikes but I'm going to hopefully fix this. Have fun with the install mate!
burnrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #3
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrich View Post
Post some pics of your install. I'm trying to square away a koso rx-2n for my Ninja (3rd Gen) '07. The backing board for the cluster is the main problem at the moment and it's looks like the current Koso kits are incompatible with the older model bikes but I'm going to hopefully fix this. Have fun with the install mate!
Ill do a video and pics for ya! Hopefully you get yours squared away but mine is a newgen so idk how much help I'll be.

Old December 30th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #4
burnrich
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanqeD View Post
Ill do a video and pics for ya! Hopefully you get yours squared away but mine is a newgen so idk how much help I'll be.
Enjoy mate. Installation is half the fun!
burnrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #5
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrich View Post
Enjoy mate. Installation is half the fun!
Lol, thanks! Got super frusterated installing it so didnt record most of it :P Though now I am running into issues getting my headlights to work again ^.^ Also not sure what 3 pin plugs go to which temp adaptors lol. Blah.

EDIT: So I read that the headlights dont turn on till engine is running, guess I never noticed that before lol. Only realized they werent on because tried to change the color of the gauage by flicking the headlight switch and it didnt do anything.

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:32 AM   #6
burnrich
ninjette.org member

Mate did you follow the youtube guide by RaceTech Electric?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8PS6U-bRj4

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:33 AM   #7
burnrich
ninjette.org member

Hope you got it all sorted lol. My best experience tells me when you are swearing at it walk away and live to see another day!

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Didn't you follow the instruction from the PnP-Kit?
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:53 AM   #9
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

The PnP kit was very vague, the diagram is black and white for the wiring kit. I didnt do anything it didnt tell me to. I also had printed out the DIY here on Ninjette to know what I needed to take apart as well. I found out the headlights dont turn on unless the engine is on. Atleast thats what some ppl have posted.

Old December 31st, 2013, 02:38 AM   #10
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

Quote:
The PnP kit was very vague, the diagram is black and white for the wiring kit. I didnt do anything it didnt tell me to. I also had printed out the DIY here on Ninjette to know what I needed to take apart as well. I found out the headlights dont turn on unless the engine is on. Atleast thats what some ppl have posted.
That's true, but you don't necessarily have to make the engine turn, just quickly tap the start up button

Old December 31st, 2013, 03:39 AM   #11
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big mike View Post
That's true, but you don't necessarily have to make the engine turn, just quickly tap the start up button
Ok cause its in my living room currently lmfao. I'll give it a try and hope it works cause I havent touched any of the wires for the headlights lol so we will see :P I take it thats the same reason the gauge wont change colors due to my headlights not being "on".

Old December 31st, 2013, 06:38 AM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Yeah, the headlights only come on after the ignition switch has been pushed, the engine doesn't have to be running. Just enough to get it to turn over and the lights come on.

Another tip: the gauge will only switch colors when the bike is not moving (or when the speedometer is reading 0 anyway).

IIRC the temp sensors themselves don't matter as they are both identical. Same with the cord that goes between them and the PnP kit. From the kit, the long one is for oil and the short one is for coolant. *checks against video* Yeah, that's it.

Glad you got yours!!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2014, 02:05 AM   #13
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Yeah, the headlights only come on after the ignition switch has been pushed, the engine doesn't have to be running. Just enough to get it to turn over and the lights come on.

Another tip: the gauge will only switch colors when the bike is not moving (or when the speedometer is reading 0 anyway).

IIRC the temp sensors themselves don't matter as they are both identical. Same with the cord that goes between them and the PnP kit. From the kit, the long one is for oil and the short one is for coolant. *checks against video* Yeah, that's it.

Glad you got yours!!
Sounds good, I turned it over and the lights work and the gauage light works. I just need to get the gauage setup properly with the tired radius etc. Is it normal for the gauage to show the number 11 before I set anything up? Also when setting it up does the bike need to be turned over again because I am trying to set the radius and i press the button 10 times as the directions say and nothing happens :P I would try it turned over but i am at work currently. I'll definately check to make sure the short and long wires on the PnP are right :P Thanks for all the help guys!

Old January 1st, 2014, 02:57 AM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Not sure what you mean by showing an 11, any chance of a pic?

To adjust the gauge, just turn the key on, the engine does not need to be running. Then push both the Select and Adjust buttons at the same time and hold for a few seconds until "adj" shows up on the screen. After that, then you can press the Select button to move to each setting listed on the tach (the needle and lights will indicate the setting you are on).

As far as the settings for the tire, I used the one provided by Koso and it worked well enough with my Rosso IIs that the GPS was within .5 MPH of the read out. If you have a GPS or smartphone that can show your speed, I'd recommend doing short test rides and making small adjustments until you get them to be close enough.

Old January 1st, 2014, 03:27 AM   #15
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by showing an 11, any chance of a pic?

To adjust the gauge, just turn the key on, the engine does not need to be running. Then push both the Select and Adjust buttons at the same time and hold for a few seconds until "adj" shows up on the screen. After that, then you can press the Select button to move to each setting listed on the tach (the needle and lights will indicate the setting you are on).

As far as the settings for the tire, I used the one provided by Koso and it worked well enough with my Rosso IIs that the GPS was within .5 MPH of the read out. If you have a GPS or smartphone that can show your speed, I'd recommend doing short test rides and making small adjustments until you get them to be close enough.
The speed shows 11 lol big letters idk why :P I figured Id use that settings Koso gave me as well Ill test it out once I get the bike back together lol

Old January 21st, 2014, 02:09 PM   #16
burnrich
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The speed shows 11 lol big letters idk why :P I figured Id use that settings Koso gave me as well Ill test it out once I get the bike back together lol
How goes the install mate? Have you got it up and running? Post some pics if you can. I'm working on a custom firberglass dash cluster for a thirdgen to fit the kx-2. I should of just bought a current gen but the bargain I got my 2007 for just couldn't be passed up. Besides the engines are essentially the same anyway and I don't mind the 80's styling of the pregens.

Old February 9th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #17
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Can you give us an update, OP?

I'm wanting to do this too, on my 2008 model.

I'm looking at this one:
http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso...er-gp-style-4/

But not sure if it's truly plug and play, or if I have to buy additional components. . . . .

And I can't seem to find the one that had a different gauge on the left, to make it more symmetrical and centered. ...
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #18
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The RX-2 is not plug and play on its own. But there is a separate wiring kit for the '08+ 250 that kinda makes it PnP and there is a faceplate specifically for the '08+ 250 to mount it easier. The only real difficult part is installing the water temp sensor as you need to cut the stock one to install it.

There's the RX-2N that's a bit more symmetrical or the RX-1N that may work.

I have the RX-2 so don't know anything about the others.

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #19
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
The RX-2 is not plug and play on its own. But there is a separate wiring kit for the '08+ 250 that kinda makes it PnP and there is a faceplate specifically for the '08+ 250 to mount it easier. The only real difficult part is installing the water temp sensor as you need to cut the stock one to install it.

There's the RX-2N that's a bit more symmetrical or the RX-1N that may work.

I have the RX-2 so don't know anything about the others.
Would it be easier if I chose not to use water temp gauge? I like that particular model because you can change the backlight colors. ..

Old February 10th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #20
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Would it be easier if I chose not to use water temp gauge? I like that particular model because you can change the backlight colors. ..
AFAIK neither sensor (water or oil) is required so if you don't mind not having that data then I don't see a reason it needs to be hooked in. Just secure the loose plug where it would go and you should be fine.

The color change is nice, though I have left mine on green after playing with it for a few evenings. It'll change anytime you flick the high beam switch if the gauge reads 0 MPH.

Install is really simple and there is a YouTube video put out by RaceTech Electric that walks you through it and the settings. And the nice thing is that if you go through Koso themselves and contact them ahead of the purchase, they can preprogram the odometer to whatever you want. I did that and then jury rigged a fan to mimic the wheel rotation to fine tune the odometer before installing the gauge.

Old February 10th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #21
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
AFAIK neither sensor (water or oil) is required so if you don't mind not having that data then I don't see a reason it needs to be hooked in. Just secure the loose plug where it would go and you should be fine.

The color change is nice, though I have left mine on green after playing with it for a few evenings. It'll change anytime you flick the high beam switch if the gauge reads 0 MPH.

Install is really simple and there is a YouTube video put out by RaceTech Electric that walks you through it and the settings. And the nice thing is that if you go through Koso themselves and contact them ahead of the purchase, they can preprogram the odometer to whatever you want. I did that and then jury rigged a fan to mimic the wheel rotation to fine tune the odometer before installing the gauge.
Great tips, thanks!

Old February 10th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #22
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
No problemo.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:35 AM   #23
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Sorry for the late response guys. The gauge is great so far everything works. Trying to figure out why the rpms are reading so high now though. At 60 mph in 6th gear it displays 14k almost the entire time. It can't be right,

Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:08 AM   #24
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Hi Joe,

good to hear you got your Koso working now.

About the rpm what did you set up the cycle and piston numbers?
The cycle is 4 and the piston is 2 for our Ninjette.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote