ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #1
bluechad30
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Wanted to say "Thanks"

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone who has posted DIY's, especially Kkim and Viper-Byte. Let me explain. I have a 09 SE with 1700 mile on it. I bought it with only 2 miles on it. I have never considered myself a mechanic. It was always easier to just let someone else fix it. Well, last weekend I was planning on shimming my needles, removing the snorkel and installing a K&N air filter, with my mechanic friend. I was looking forward to the mod all week, but an hour before we were going to get started, my friend had to cancel on me. I decided to do the mod anyway. I brought my lap top out to the garage and went step by step with the "Lets get nekkid, Remove gas tank, Remove snorkel, and Shim your needles" DIY's. Fast forward four hours, and it feels like I have a new bike. I have so much more power in my lower and mid rpms. I even have a little more top end. I could not have done something like this without the help from everyone on this forum. I plan on doing alot more of my own work, (with the help of ninjette.org) in the future. So again to everyone "THANK YOU", oh yea one last thing Green is the Fastest.
bluechad30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

welcome Chad! It's always good to hear that you were able to do your own work!

Old July 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congatulations Chad. It is always a great feeling when you do your own work and think of all the money you have saved yourself.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
kkim

Cool, Chad. Glad to hear the DIYs helped. Amazing what a few washers will do, eh?

Believe me, you'll be tinkering even more with the bike in the future... it's addictive!

In the future, when working on your bike, consider giving back to the board by posting a DIY of your own, if you do something that hasn't been covered yet. It always a good thing when we can help others with some new idea that hasn't yet been covered.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #5
elars
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Congatulations Chad. It is always a great feeling when you do your own work and think of all the money you have saved yourself.
Yes. Previous owner of my car cross-threaded a spark plug and I finally broke one in that hole trying to get it out. Had to tear down the engine and take the head out, and since I don't have the tools to remove and rethread, I took it to a machine shop. The shop wants $50 to get it out and helicoil it, which is probably what I'd spend on the tools required, haha. The labor costs to do all of this probably would've been about 3 hours each way, which wouldn't have been too cheap. Parts are all gaskets basically, relatively cheap. The added bonus is I physically get to see each and every component I have to remove and know precisely what condition everything is in. I now know my timing belt which I have put 70k on is in great shape, I have no signs of warping, cracking, or other aging to either manifold, no unexpected wear on my pistons, valves, or anything really. It fills a void. Connects me with my machines just that much more.

Welcome to Chad, stick around and enjoy your stay!
elars is offline   Reply With Quote