ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Worse than a Harley rider???

So I'm sure we've all noticed that Harley riders can be total jerks to pretty much everybody who isn't on a Harley, but have you ever had anyone treat you even worse based on your ride? From what I can tell, Chopper riders are about the worst it gets! They don't acknowledge the existence of any rider other than a chopper rider. At least Harley riders acknowledge other cruisers! Any similar experiences?

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #2
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

What's with the stereotype..? I've met jerks and great people on every make of bike, and I can't really say HD riders are any better or any worse than other groups. I've met some real jerk sportbike riders!

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Verus Cidere

You have a point. That's what I was trying to ask about. I'm not saying HD riders are the worst, that's just the thing people think of. Some chopper riders are bad, some HD riders are bad, some sport riders are bad, etc. There's some in all areas. My idea was, "How many people with bigger bikes, or different brands give you grief or treat you badly?" I have also noticed (at least around here) that there are quite a few more jerks in the HD community than in the sport community. Just my

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Most Harley riders around this area are cool to sport bike riders. I do sometimes get the "crotch rockets are dangerous" line from them. A co worker claims my 1000RR is dangerous compared to his Harley sportster.... let's see... mine accelerates better, handles better and stops better. Wouldn't that make mine safer? He just won't see it my way
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Although there already been a very, very long thread on this topic.. It is true that hd and chopper riders are more likely to not pay attention to you or say hi. They just aren't interested in our style of riding.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Well, being someone who has seen both sides of the fence, I can tell you it can certainly come from both sides.

It does however, seem like some areas are worse off than others. Here in NY it doesn't seem as bad as other states. Our ride time is so limited comparatively everyone seems to have a decent attitude no matter what you ride.

Then again you run into some bad apples some times. They seem to think that what they ride is a measure of how they are as a person.

I'd say just shrug it off. Chances are you are going to live longer with a better attitude than what they have.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #7
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Well, I can say that in my area, I've never had a sport-bike rider ignore the wave, but I have had many HD riders ignore it.... The dual sports and most other cruisers will wave, but choppers do not. Heck, the bicyclists on the back roads will wave around here!

Old July 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Around here it seems like there is at least 20 cruisers to every sportbike I see.
Most everybody is friendly, I would say at least 90 percent of the cruisers I see wave back, and I haven't seen any sportbikers not wave back yet, me I wave at everybody on two wheels except bicycles. Those spandex clad guys never wave back anyways.

I have seen one harley rider that was I know just didn't like sport bikes. We was riding side by side going down the highway and I watched as he waved to every cruiser going by but ignored every sportbike, we came to a red light and I gave a nod, and he just looked at me and then just looked straight ahead like I wasn't even there.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #9
billmi
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 82 XV750, 99 DR200SE, 04 DR200SE, 08 DR200SE, 95 EX250

If I'm on my Virago, pretty much everyone waves back - it may not be a Harley, but at least it's a V-Twin.

If I'm on my DR-200 (a dual-sport) dual sport riders usually wave back, and it's a pretty even mix of sport bike and cruiser riders that won't wave back (usually Harleys or custom choppers, Goldwing riders will almost always wave.)

If I'm on my Ninja no-one waves back, but that's nothing to do with snobbery, and everything to do with it being up inside my garage, still being rebuilt, and not out on the road.
billmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Well, I guess as far as waves go: I get more waves from sportbike riders when I am on my Ninja. I get more waves from cruisers when I am on my Harley.

I have waved at other Harleys while on mine and have been snubbed before. Same with the Ninja. I wave and don't get one back. Never gotten a finger like I have read on other forums before...on either bike.

I have had some bad things happen that appeared to be because of the bike I was riding..but who knows. I didn't chase to ask. It is a rare occurance anyways. Nothing to invest any emotion into.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #11
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

i dont wave at people in my car so therefore i dont feel obligated to wave at every bike that passes by..imho also i like harleys but 50% are posers so they could kiss it anyway

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #12
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I haven't been riding long but it has been mixed in terms of who nods / waves and who doesn't. One group I am still trying to get my head around are the hipster types riding the cafe-racer modified standard bikes in Daivida helmets. So far I have seen them in groups more than individually.

Edit: I am not using the word "hipster" in a derogatory way, I have no issues with the sub-culture but the fashion that has extended to motorcycles is very apparent.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #13
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I guess every sport has that sort of thing. Went through it with Sail vs. Power. We have bike snobs---unless you ride a custom made for you Titanium or some such bike you are nothing. A bike off the rack? Unthinkable! It`s just so much BS. I wave at everybody whether I am on my Ninja or on my bicycle. I even wave at powerboats. If they wave back, cool.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #14
Verus Cidere

That's what I'm saying. I wave to everyone unless I don't see them until they're in my mirrors 'cause I'm paying attention to some idiot cager that's trying to kill me. I just get tired of HD riders looking at me and either just looking away, sneering, or flipping me off! It just seems like chopper riders don't just let it be on the road, they come up to you at gas stations and try to pick a "your bike is crap" fight. I just don't get it.

Old July 21st, 2009, 02:02 AM   #15
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
Around here it seems like there is at least 20 cruisers to every sportbike I see.
Most everybody is friendly, I would say at least 90 percent of the cruisers I see wave back, and I haven't seen any sportbikers not wave back yet, me I wave at everybody on two wheels except bicycles. Those spandex clad guys never wave back anyways.

I have seen one harley rider that was I know just didn't like sport bikes. We was riding side by side going down the highway and I watched as he waved to every cruiser going by but ignored every sportbike, we came to a red light and I gave a nod, and he just looked at me and then just looked straight ahead like I wasn't even there.
I ride my bicycle a lot and, just this weekend, a guy on a chopper waved at me. I always return waves, on either bike, but am really getting tired of it. There are so many riders on the road these days it gets rather repetitive. There is an article in a recent "Motorcyclist" expressing a similar feeling.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:06 AM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I guess every sport has that sort of thing. Went through it with Sail vs. Power. We have bike snobs---unless you ride a custom made for you Titanium or some such bike you are nothing. A bike off the rack? Unthinkable! It`s just so much BS. I wave at everybody whether I am on my Ninja or on my bicycle. I even wave at powerboats. If they wave back, cool.
when i was mountain biking there were some real snob groups out on the trails, the kind that ride up, get a good stare, then put their heads down and continue riding.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:08 AM   #17
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

i find that early morning or late at night, single riders of anything give a friendly wave, its on the weekends, midday in packs that they become superior. and i mean HD, sport bikes, whatever.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 09:20 AM   #18
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've never had a problem. It must be you guys.

Old July 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM   #19
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'm shifting gears, or just too busy paying attention to the old lady driving a Buick right behind me. Heck, if someone doesn't wave at you, maybe they just don't feel like being sociable today. Try not to take it personally.

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM   #20
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Dont take it personal if anyone on any kinda bike does not wave, I will pass a group of cruisers and a few wave back. I dont see why people make sucha big deal about being waved to by who , I dont wave sometimes to others cause I either catch it to late cause Im hauling ass on the freeway or in a situation I cant one hand it...
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM   #21
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

I've never had much problem except being flipped off by 2 guys on Super Sports once. Which is OK because 2 days later I saw one of them pulled over by the police and getting a ticket

90% of the Harley guys I throw the wave to acknowledge me, but only about 1 out of every 5 who rides those big ol' Gold Wings wave back, guess their too sexy to respond to a lowly twofiddy ...

It doesn't bother me if anyone waves or not though , all that matters to me is that I show courtesy

Old July 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM   #22
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

I have noticed that harley riders don't wave back nearly as often as sport bikes or cruisers... Don't let it bother you, just pretend they're ****** riders and didn't see you
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #23
scorpio_vette
ninjette.org member

Name: scorpio

Motorcycle(s): 250

personally i've found that the sport bike guys seem to be the stuck up non-waving crowd. but i also ride a cruiser. now if the wife and me ride together, then we have my cruiser and her sport bike, and we both wave, at which point just about everybody waves back. LOL

but yeah i've noticed that. on my cruiser the sport guys are dicks, and on the wifes sport bike the cruisers are dicks.

personally i just wave to everybody in front of my, and give the finger to everybody behind me. that way nobody feels left out. ROFLMAO....