ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 4th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - This Is Why You Should Keep GoPros Tethered To Your Bike + Video

If you’ve attended a motorcycle trackday recently, there’s a high likelihood the organizers told everyone multiple times to secure their cameras to their bikes. This is why. Barry Reynolds was attending a trackday at Texas World Speedway recently, aboard his Yamaha R1, when out of nowhere he was smacked by a GoPro camera that had fallen off a bike in front of him. Reynolds estimates the impact occurred at 160 mph. Check out the video below for visual proof.

Thankfully, Reynolds was able to keep his R1 upright, but the action camera did a fair bit of damage. Upon impact, the GoPro smashed through his windscreen and damaged the gauge cluster before hitting Reynolds in the chest. Let’s hope he was wearing a chest protector.

Let this serve as a reminder, folks. Keep your cameras secured to either you or your bike at all times.

This Is Why You Should Keep GoPros Tethered To Your Bike + Video appeared first on Motorcycle.com News.

Click here for full story...

Old December 4th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #2
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Haha, watch out for flying Go Pros!
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

youch!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
So this raises a good question.

That camera looks like it came out of the housing.

So when we tether, what are we actually tethering? The mount, the housing, or the camera itself?

They just dropped the price on the older Contour Roam 2, so I've ordered one. I've been thinking about how to properly tether it, assuming that the mount fails or the camera comes loose. Naturally drilling a hole in the thing is a non-starter. So what do do?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Interesting thing to note is the physics of the event

rider was traveling 160mph
fair assumption that the rider who owned the camera was doing similar speed (unless on a 250 or 650 in which case this math doesn't really work as well, still works)
when the camera fell off it still had forward momentum though it would lose that momentum over time

this means that the camera did not impact at 160mph, it impacted at the speed differential. Which was probably around 30-50mph assuming that the bike it fell from was doing at least 150 when it came off. The object would fall to the ground at the same rate of speed as it would if it were simply dropped so it wouldn't have had much time to slow down which is why the differential was so low.

TLDR he didn't get hit by it at 160mph, he was just going 160mph title makes it sound much worse than it was due to that fact.

Old December 5th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
So this raises a good question.

That camera looks like it came out of the housing.

So when we tether, what are we actually tethering? The mount, the housing, or the camera itself?

They just dropped the price on the older Contour Roam 2, so I've ordered one. I've been thinking about how to properly tether it, assuming that the mount fails or the camera comes loose. Naturally drilling a hole in the thing is a non-starter. So what do do?
the contour has a really good mounting system in place so you don't need to worry as much. Typically everything should be tethered though. I worry about the same with my drift which has an inferior mounting system to the contour but there's no way to get it attached to the helmet better that wouldn't make it permanently attached.

Go-pro mounts are the mounts that typically fail, the housing should be wired shut or have an otherwise better system in place than what is provided. A simple small padlock and key would do the trick as it wouldn't be able to open even if it came loose then except in the event of an off.