ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 15th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #561
kkim

Joe, thanks for the info.

So, how did your bike turn out?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #562
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

+1 Yup, I've bought from desmoparts before.... and will do again.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #563
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Joe, thanks for the info.

So, how did your bike turn out?
Well Kelly. Considering she's still in pieces in the garage and not on the road...not good.
Long story short. I do my spring cleaning in pieces, indoors. I still have to do chain maint and she isnt back together yet. Sat I decided to order a 15t and this week Im going on Vaca to FL. So things are once again delayed.
I've been so busy being a union steward in negotiations, moving my gf from buffalo to Corning, working nights, and developing a homebrew muffler that I have only had the chance to enjoy one short ride so far this year

If you were asking about all the stainless...beautiful. I did this last year. I first eyed the bike up for everything I wanted replaced an made a list. Then I searched online microfiche for sizes. "Cheapcycleparts"
Then placed my order.
Feels good not having to worry about nuts and bolts becoming eyesores.
It was like buying diamonds for my girlfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
+1 Yup, I've bought from desmoparts before.... and will do again.
I will to. Again...Great service.

Old May 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #564
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Category:Final_Drive

Old May 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #565
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Not to continue off topic but there was only an indirect answer to the question in that link Kelly. A 15t will be fine with the stock chain on green bikes.

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #566
sharkie308
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Buell XB12R (his), 2010 Ninja 250(hers)

Just shimmed the carbs today and snorkeled it. I personally don't notice a difference as I'm used to my Buell and really don't ride the 250. But, Cindy seems to be starting from stops a little easier so as far as I"m concerned it did it's job. Overall not too bad once I bad screw undone. I swapped all the carb cover screws out to the Socket cap screws that were 4mm x 16mm. I also went with the Radio Shack #4 washers. They seem pretty thin. I might need a 4th in there.

On a side note I initially was going to just remove the carbs and was following the DIY jet kit thread in how to remove them. I had issues when it came to moving the airbox back. I removed the bolts and everything as listed but the thing wouldn't budge at all. I dunno if I missed something but I followed the directions to a T.
sharkie308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #567
peter330
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r Blue

could someone please tell me where I would add some seamfoam in the carb along the process when I do this mod? I figure I might as well do it while im at it, forgive my stupidity I've never touched the carbs before
peter330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #568
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie308 View Post

On a side note I initially was going to just remove the carbs and was following the DIY jet kit thread in how to remove them. I had issues when it came to moving the airbox back. I removed the bolts and everything as listed but the thing wouldn't budge at all. I dunno if I missed something but I followed the directions to a T.
You may have missed the bolt on the bottom... I did. It's hard to see. It's a black one hidden under the left side of the box near the front. Looks exactly like the one on the upper right rear of the box.

You need to remove the left fairing bracket to see it.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #569
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
You may have missed the bolt on the bottom... I did. It's hard to see. It's a black one hidden under the left side of the box near the front. Looks exactly like the one on the upper right rear of the box.

You need to remove the left fairing bracket to see it.
Nope got that one. It was a pain to get back in too :/ Meh doesn't really matter. I got the job done without having to take the carbs out.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:05 PM   #570
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

oooops

Hi guys, just did this mod and removed the snorkle. Real happy with the results... HOWEVER when I was putting the carb covers back on, I stripped one of the screws while tightening. The untighten direction is relatively unstripped.

Is anyone aware of some hex screws that may work for these carbs? I'm not a huge fan of the philips head. If there are no replacements, I'm going to order like 10 of these screws from kawasaki.... I can see myself stripping 10 of these

BTW if anyone is trying to get the screws out while the carbs are still on the bike, this tool makes life MUCH easier. Its a small ratchet set from Husky. Got it at my local home depot for 15 bucks. Very well made. Handy for all sorts of small-space work.

sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM   #571
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
Hi guys, just did this mod and removed the snorkle. Real happy with the results... HOWEVER when I was putting the carb covers back on, I stripped one of the screws while tightening. The untighten direction is relatively unstripped.

Is anyone aware of some hex screws that may work for these carbs? I'm not a huge fan of the philips head. If there are no replacements, I'm going to order like 10 of these screws from kawasaki.... I can see myself stripping 10 of these
Dunno if you saw it, but I posted the measurements/thread sizes for the screws earlier in the thread, just get metric hex-head instead of phillips? I know my hardware store (TrueValue) has both kinds, but I'm ok with the phillips heads.

Just take care with what size you get, I found out the hard way:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39321

Thanks for the link/pic of an alternative to the MOS for adjusting carbs on the bike. Good to see options out there, but love my MOS

Old May 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #572
kandyBlue
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

I'm halfway done with this mod. Bike is naked, just need to get a Milwaukee Offset Screwdriver so screws can come off. Planning to do 3 washers under each needle, I have a mgp slip-on and removed snorkel...will update soon!
kandyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #573
kandyBlue
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Done! Shimmed with 3 #4 washers under each needle. No more bogging/stalling off the start, seems a bit more responsive all the way to redline, happy customer!
kandyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #574
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyBlue View Post
Done! Shimmed with 3 #4 washers under each needle. No more bogging/stalling off the start, seems a bit more responsive all the way to redline, happy customer!
enjoy!

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #575
keeyu
ninjette.org member

Name: kenny

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Do I need to tune the bike after adding the washers?
keeyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #576
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

If by 'tune' you mean perhaps adjust the idle mix and check the carb synch, I'd say yes.

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #577
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
If by 'tune' you mean perhaps adjust the idle mix and check the carb synch, I'd say yes.
the beauty/appeal of shimming is that you may be able to get away w/o touching the mixture screws, but I'd recommend at least checking/adjusting the sync when you can.

It all depends on how anal you are about your bike and how much your bike is off from the factory that would determine how well it runs after the shimming.

Old June 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #578
keeyu
ninjette.org member

Thanks. I'll try to add some washers without adjusting. I got about 20 miles on the bike.

Old June 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #579
kkim

whoa... do you have problems with the bike? I would suggest putting on a few more miles first, if for no other reason, to build a baseline to see where the bike is before you start tearing into it. Learn the pluses and minuses of the bike, then attend to what's deficient from your point of view. Don't just shim the needles because some internet hacks say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

get out, ride the bike and enjoy it.

Old June 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #580
keeyu
ninjette.org member

I installed a full exhaust, and the bike pulls very hard. I found myself shifting very early or the bike won't speed up. I am also considering removing the snorkel to compensate for the additional power. In nyc, we have crazy drivers. I almost got ran off the road by an irate driver because I wasn't tailgating the car infront of me or going in an optimal "speed". After taking the MSF class, I am more cautious when riding and counting the 4 to 10 second rule of the car infront of me. Since I don't have the protection of a car, I’ll try to hold my anger in.

Old June 4th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #581
kkim

if you have a full exhaust already, remove the snorkel while adding 3 washers to each needle. see how that works.

Old June 14th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #582
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Quote:
Is anyone aware of some hex screws that may work for these carbs? I'm not a huge fan of the philips head.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47544
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #583
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Finally decided to do this. 2 washers, desnorkled, slip-on. Loving it!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #584
crankinaway
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Could someone explain to me why the needles are different lengths from the factory? What purpose does it serve and are the benenfits to going to the same length needles like in aftermarket jet kits, but not jetting?
crankinaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #585
g21-30

The needles are NOT different lengths. Check out the previous page of this thread for a comparison picture of OEM needles and Factory Pro ones.

Old June 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #586
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
The needles are NOT different lengths. Check out the previous page of this thread for a comparison picture of OEM needles and Factory Pro ones.
They (OEM needles) LOOK the same to me too, but they have different part numbers, and I was told there was some difference. I don't know why else the mixture screws wouldn't be set the same from the factory.... It's a mystery to me.

Old June 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #587
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
They (OEM needles) LOOK the same to me too, but they have different part numbers, and I was told there was some difference. I don't know why else the mixture screws wouldn't be set the same from the factory.... It's a mystery to me.
Yes, they are different part numbers and are slightly different, but they are the same LENGTH. My comment was in response to the question "Could someone explain to me why the needles are different lengths from the factory?"

Old June 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #588
crankinaway
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Gotcha, thanx guys.
crankinaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #589
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

DIY Fixing stripped screws when shimming the needles.

I have been meaning to post this but didn't get around to it. When I went to shim my needles I stripped one of the screws on the carb covers (I swear they are made of lead) so rather than taking out the carbs to remove the now useless screw I sat down and thought about how I could get it out. I have a multi-speed dremel tool and metal cutting wheels so I got that out and took one of the wheels which was WAY to big to be useful so I found a large chunk of concrete and wore it down to about the right size. Then I removed the rubber tube on the top between the two carbs and stuffed a piece of cotton in it (wanted to be sure no lint or metal shavings got in their) and set my dremel down to the lowest speed and CAREFULLY (its tight in there) cut the offending screw head deep enough that I could get a good bite in it with a flat head screwdriver (about 3/4 of the depth of the head.) and removed it. then just to be safe did the other screws. there was 1 I could not get at with the dremel so I took a hack saw blade cut it down to a small size and used it to cut the last screw by hand. Just be CAREFULL it doesn't take much to cut into the soft metal of these screws and you don't want to cut anything else in this tight space, just think of yourself as a dentist and don't want to touch anything else with the tool. but it worked for me. I replaced the screws with new Hex ones from home depot.

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #590
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged with shimming DIY

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #591
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
BTW if anyone is trying to get the screws out while the carbs are still on the bike, this tool makes life MUCH easier. Its a small ratchet set from Husky. Got it at my local home depot for 15 bucks. Very well made. Handy for all sorts of small-space work.

I concur. Use the ratchet set. Get the fit perfect... push down on the pivot point nicely and slowly knudge on the arm till you feel it give way... Mine came out nicely and did not strip AT ALL because of this set. Dont fight the angle of the handle though. Some screws fit better slanted in different ways...

-2009 Ninja 250R Stock Exhaust
-Snorkel Removed
-2 (3mm) washers from OSH in a package labeled M3

Incredible... Just incredible. I just hope it wont drop my mpg below a typical sedan... that would be sad. lol.

P.S. Why is it called shimming? lol At first glance I pictured everybody here with the needle in one hand and a knife or file on the other slicing the needle thinner. lol

Last futzed with by setasai; June 20th, 2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Added stupid question. =)
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #592
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
P.S.Why is it called shimming? lol At first glance I pictured everybody here with the needle in one hand and a knife or file on the other slicing the needle thinner. lol
cause you're using the washers as "shims" to raise the needle. if you used a knife/file to slice the needle thinner, it would be called whittling.

Old June 21st, 2010, 03:32 AM   #593
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

add me to the list - shimmed mine this weekend with the help of dubojr (thanks JD!)

2 washers, desnorkeled, stock exhuast.

everything is smoother now - no choke needed to start, no bogging when starting from a stop, no "hiccup" when letting off the throttle at speed, downshifts are much smoother, pulls hard all the way to redline.

i am very happy - will be synching carbs and adjusting idle mixture screws in the future.

FYI - should anyone wish to replace the crap JIS screws with some allens, www.desmoparts.com has the right size (4x16mm) as well as lock washers and flat washers (as the stock washers are not removable)

wish list:

AREA P, AREA P, AREA P, AREA P!!!
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2010, 05:47 AM   #594
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
add me to the list - shimmed mine this weekend with the help of dubojr1 (thanks JD!)
Yep, yep! God bless the man that invented the Dremel magic wand to get in those tight spaces to regrind those screw-heads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tylertool_2107_731772613.jpg (5.7 KB, 2 views)

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM   #595
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Yea thats what I used and a hack saw that I broke the blade down smaller to get to the really tight space one

Last futzed with by Kitdog; June 29th, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Kitdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #596
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Great d.i.y mod! I just did it and it is like a whole differnt bike. Now to put all the body back on..... Blah....
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #597
g21-30

For those of you contemplating this mod, please read this thread first:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49003

Old June 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #598
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
For those of you contemplating this mod, please read this thread first:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49003
Yes, good form. After ripping into mine almost 20X, I finally stripped a screw this last time. Thankfully I have an old carb from ebay to cannibalize for parts. These bits/drivers will not bring buyers remorse, that is for sure. Actually, that will by my official understatement of the day.

Old July 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #599
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

a success story

I just got done shimming my needles. My bike is brand new and would really bog down and fall on its face when you gave it some throttle from idle. Unless I let it warm up for like 10 minutes it would often completely stall as soon as I gave it a little throttle.

The attached photo shows the washers I used. I put 3 on each needle. I have a big washer assortment box I got at Harbor Freight a few years ago and it is chock full of these washers. The ID is 3mm and the OD is 6mm. Sorry I didn't get a picture of the washers on the needle but the fit is "just right".

The result is like night and day. The engine revs like it should and there's no bog or hesitation when I give it throttle from idle. After I did this, it idled a little high but about a 1/4 turn on the idle adjuster put it right.

If your Ninjette is boggy down low, do spend a couple hours doing this. It's how the bike should have run from the factory in the first place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (73.6 KB, 6 views)

Old July 5th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #600
kkim

Kevin,

Did you remove the snorkel, too?