ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you ever crossed a double yellow to pass a vehicle?
Yes 38 76.00%
No 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:13 PM   #41
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
Ohio by far has the worst drivers you will ever see.
You've never been to Florida have you?

Honestly I don't think drivers around here are that bad. Kind of predictable, boring actually... I can't even remember the last time anyone tried to run me over.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:35 PM   #42
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
@Jono,

why do you ask?
I was just curious. There seemed like a high number of folks in other threads/comments saying they don't pass in a double yellow.

Pretty much all of my double yellow passing takes place on spirited rides and most of those are with other riders. We don't go crazy fast but we do ride at a spirited pace. And many cars that we do pass give us the wave by. Not that it makes it any more legal. We will only pass when it is safe to do so as well. No stupid passes in turns or anything like that and it's always in more rural areas.

On my 250 I am less likely to make passes in a double yellow. But on the larger cc bikes it's effortless and safer to make such passes.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:42 PM   #43
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Ohio by far has the worst drivers you will ever see.
Says the guy from Iowa.

From what I saw the one time hauling through on 80, not much inspiring in the way of skill-heavy roads. Straight, flat, snooooooooooze.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:44 PM   #44
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I feel like you and I ride with much the same attitude. Responsible risk. Enjoy yourself but always make it home and don't forget it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
But on the larger cc bikes it's effortless and safer to make such passes.
This is both why I want a larger bike and why I don't want a larger bike at the same time.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:09 PM   #45
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Says the guy from Iowa.

From what I saw the one time hauling through on 80, not much inspiring in the way of skill-heavy roads. Straight, flat, snooooooooooze.
Yep this aint prime sportbike country at all. I got spoiled riding in SoCal years ago when I last had a streetbike.

But I did spend 9 yrs in Pittsburgh so its now my duty to talk trash about Ohio wheenever given the chance.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:15 PM   #46
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I feel like you and I ride with much the same attitude. Responsible risk. Enjoy yourself but always make it home and don't forget it!

This is both why I want a larger bike and why I don't want a larger bike at the same time.
Indeed. Move to TN and we can go for a ride sometime! Haha

Yeah, that's why you need both! But seriously, if you do ride like me, you'll be fine with a more powerful bike. It's only as fast as your brain and right wrist allow. Having that passing power is nice.

I rode a friends S1000RR last weekend and I didn't feel like I had to go 100mph everywhere. It was actually easier to ride it more sensibly than my Street Triple. But at the same time, I really like riding a small cc bike hard on the street while still being close to legal speeds. You really NEED both.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:18 PM   #47
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Yep this aint prime sportbike country at all. I got spoiled riding in SoCal years ago when I last had a streetbike.

But I did spend 9 yrs in Pittsburgh so its now my duty to talk trash about Ohio wheenever given the chance.
Yeah, I figured you were just stirring the pot.

Steelers suckkkkk!!!

Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:26 PM   #48
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Have I passed on a double yellow? Yes. Riding since the early/mid 2000s. Do I do it often? Nope. During 2015, I put on roughly 11,000 on my 300. I think I passed on the double yellow twice. Both passes were within 10mph of the speed limit.

1. A Honda Accord was towing a Honda Civic with straps. Speed limit was 40mph. They were going 15mph.

2. Farm vehicle moving 25mph in a 45mph zone. I passed when it was completely clear ahead.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:49 PM   #49
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbarry88 View Post
I live in SoCal where it's legal to split/share etc and I see many bikers do this between the HOV and next lane over. Do I crossover the double yellow? No, but I do ride on it and have never had a problem even when passing CHP. If I don't like it when cars switch lanes over the double yellow then why should I do it. Most cagers actually give me more room to get by. When the double yellow is dividing a two lane road I don't cross it either but once again most cars will move over to the right to let me pass.
technically its not legal. but nobody gives a ****. i have split with cops more times than i can count

Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:02 AM   #50
erbarry88
ninjette.org member

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2007 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
technically its not legal. but nobody gives a ****. i have split with cops more times than i can count
Which part isn't legal? Riding the double yellow or splitting? Riding the yellow isn't legal but sharing/splitting/filtering whatever you want to call it doesn't say wether it is legal or not. The CHP and DMV website says it can be done if executed safely, no more then 15mph of normal traffic and I can't remember what else.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:48 AM   #51
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
You're qualifying what "never" means. What, in your personal view, is the difference between "extremely slow" and "relatively slow?"

To me it's about 10 mph below the limit. That means 15 in a 25, 25 in a 35.... I'll make that pass if it looks like I'll be stuck for awhile and it's safe.

Note that few drivers actually travel at the limit. Most go faster. So a car going the limit but still 10 mph slower than everyone else... no pass.

If I can see a passing zone coming up, no point in rushing it.
To clarify, I have never passed a standard vehicle that was driving normally, but slow, in a no-passing zone. Only special-case "slow moving vehicles" (like tractors and other things that aren't generally licensed to drive on the road) or abnormal driving like a paper/mail delivery vehicle (which is usually going extremely slow also).

Even if someone was driving especially slow (e.g. 30 in a 55), I've never passed on a solid line because around here that solid line is synonymous with "I can't see if there's any oncoming traffic."

I'm also a little weird about not passing anyone who's going the speed limit. If you're going 54, I'll pass you the first chance I get. If you're going 55, I'll sit behind you and gripe about how stupid you are for driving exactly the speed limit ("everyone" goes +5 around here "all the time"). Yes, I'm very aware of how irrational this behavior is.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:49 AM   #52
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Allow me to introduce you to Pasture Rd. 3.1 miles.
Every time I start to think that people are about as dumb they can be, it's like their idiot scientists invent some new kind of stupid.

I imagine that if I had roads like that around here, I'd pass in no-passing zones too.

Personally, I'd rather see the focus on getting rid of no-passing zones that shouldn't exist, rather than debating when it's acceptable to pass in a no-passing zone. That seems to me like addressing the root problem.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:26 PM   #53
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbarry88 View Post
Which part isn't legal? Riding the double yellow or splitting? Riding the yellow isn't legal but sharing/splitting/filtering whatever you want to call it doesn't say wether it is legal or not. The CHP and DMV website says it can be done if executed safely, no more then 15mph of normal traffic and I can't remember what else.

you're wrong.

the chp used to say that. until the law people made them take it down because its technically not legal. crossing the double yellow is illegal except to turn into a driveway. and the whole "no law specifically banning it" part doesn't matter because there are plenty of other laws that classify how vehicles are supposed to drive and none of them allow that except making a right turn at a broken shoulder line.

it is technically not legal. but nobody gives a ****.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:29 PM   #54
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
As we get older and more civil we start to recognize safety as a life saving tool which improves the length of our stay on mother earth. Double yellow lines are painted on roads where it is dangerous to pass. I find that instead of risking your life, and the life of others, you can simply shoot out the right rear tire of the slower vehicle and when they pull over you can pass them legally and safely.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:47 PM   #55
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I find that instead of risking your life, and the life of others, you can simply shoot out the right rear tire of the slower vehicle and when they pull over you can pass them legally and safely.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:47 PM   #56
erbarry88
ninjette.org member

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2007 GSX-R 600

Quote:
you're wrong.

the chp used to say that. until the law people made them take it down because its technically not legal. crossing the double yellow is illegal except to turn into a driveway. and the whole "no law specifically banning it" part doesn't matter because there are plenty of other laws that classify how vehicles are supposed to drive and none of them allow that except making a right turn at a broken shoulder line.

it is technically not legal. but nobody gives a ****.
What am I wrong about besides it no longer being on those websites? And what's technically not legal because there still isn't any law that says splitting is 100% illegal.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:25 PM   #57
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
don't worry, you're wrong.

Old October 24th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #58
f0r54ken
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ninja ex250 2007

I can only think of two times I've done that. One was Being stuck behind "Slows Mccoy" and he took the same turns I did 3 times in a row over half a mile. When we got to the single lane on both sides I dropped a gear and blew pasted him through the empty oncoming lane.

Another time That gets me annoyed faster is when you have three cars; I call them "The Treacherous Trio of Tyranny." it's when three sheeple drivers pace each other side by side and make a car wall. I'll drive into the turn lane or oncoming lane to pass them in a heartbeat if it's open.
f0r54ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #59
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
don't worry, you're wrong.

Quote:
Lane splitting is illegal in every state but California, which does not expressly allow or prohibit the practice.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...#storylink=cpy
If it is not prohibited what is illegal about it? You don't have to have a law allowing you to do things. As long as there is no law against it, it is legal.

There is no law that says you are allowed to breath, does that make it illegal to breath?

Here in VA we actually have a law that says it is reckless driving for 2 vehicles to share a lane, except for two 2 wheeled motorcycles, or parades and a few other exceptions. So if I'm on my motorcycle splitting lanes I am actually in one lane or the other with a car which fits the definition of reckless driving.

So if I split lanes in California what violation will I be charged with?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #60
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
If it is not prohibited what is illegal about it? You don't have to have a law allowing you to do things. As long as there is no law against it, it is legal.

There is no law that says you are allowed to breath, does that make it illegal to breath?

Here in VA we actually have a law that says it is reckless driving for 2 vehicles to share a lane, except for two 2 wheeled motorcycles, or parades and a few other exceptions. So if I'm on my motorcycle splitting lanes I am actually in one lane or the other with a car which fits the definition of reckless driving.

The way I read Alex.s'so post, he is saying crossing the double yellow while splitting between HOV lane is not legal. Maybe I am wrong?

No
I am right.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99

Last futzed with by allanoue; October 25th, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #61
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post

depending on the conditions and the perceived danger reckless driving or careless driving is my guess. we don't need laws for every little detail in life.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #62
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
The way I read Alex.s'so post, he is saying crossing the double yellow while splitting between HCV lane is not legal. Maybe I am wrong?

No
I am right.
I thought he was talking about lane splitting in general in California.

Old October 25th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #63
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
depending on the conditions and the perceived danger reckless driving or careless driving is my guess. we don't need laws for every little detail in life.
No we don't need a law for every little detail, but an illegal act needs to fit a definition of some sort. That is the question I'm asking about California, what are they going to charge you with if you do lane split?

I believe most states have some sort of driving statute about vehicle speeds that are unsafe for road conditions. For example the highway speed limit might be 70 mph, but if there is dense fog or snow driving 70 mph is not safe. I could see lane splitters at some speed being charged under a similar statute. Then it would take a court case and an appeal to develop some case law on what is an unsafe lane splitting speed.

But we are drifting way off topic of crossing the double yellow line, which I believe is illegal in all states with a few exceptions for turns or emergencies.