ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 27th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #41
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

This thread went way off-topic! Honestly, in conclusion, you wouldn't want to ever be in an accident with out a helmet. Helmet's are one of the most widely used pieces of protective gear in most sports and activities. Wear it, or don't wear it that's your choice, just be aware of all the risks and it's no one but your owns fault for not having one on in the event of your bear head hitting the pavement or a rock that gets whipped into your face on the highway.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #42
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
^^^ like a cup?
Never considered that option, but to each his own. I was thinking more of protective pants and footwear. Seen lots of local sport bike riders with gloves, armored jacket and FF helmet wearing jeans and tennis shoes. Also see them without a jacket. What parts of the body are immune to contacting the pavement or other objects in a crash? Is road rash on the butt, legs and feet less painful that on the arms? Are tennis shoes going to provide significant protection against rash and broken bones?
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #43
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

As an avid amatuer longboarder, I know about roadrash lol took a small trip on my bare back one day when I decided to ride shirtless. I was a longboard squid The roadrash isnt what scares me, its the big drop to the ground before the rash. Im a short dude who isnt looking for a long fall lol

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #44
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
does gear for longboarding even exist? I've enjoyed the occasional longboarding ride and I know friends who get up to solid speeds on longboards but the most I've ever seen anyone wear is a helmet. I know knee/elbow pads exist but I don't think anyone ever wears the kind of protective clothing that we do.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #45
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Helmets, mostly full face. Knee and elbow pads are a given if you've ever been on any kind of board, they also have gloves with palm pucks

you can hit speeds on these boards that require you to drift at even the slightest turn, these help a lot lol

There are better videos but a quick search pulled this example:

Link to original page on YouTube.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #46
Ginganinja
pregens for the win!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250, 07 yamaha r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
does gear for longboarding even exist? I've enjoyed the occasional longboarding ride and I know friends who get up to solid speeds on longboards but the most I've ever seen anyone wear is a helmet. I know knee/elbow pads exist but I don't think anyone ever wears the kind of protective clothing that we do.
YESSS it does!!! If you get into the more serious longboarding racing, all boarders where gear similar to a motorcyclist in full leathers. they don't however wear boots as it's too hard to turn on the board.
Ginganinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #47
kg4kpg
Disavowed

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '07 EX250

Any speed on a bicycle is just as dangerous. I was riding a road bike in a parade that ended after dark once. On the way back to the truck me and another rider were going down the street, headlights on, and out of nowhere three older ladies stepped in front of me. No time to brake or turn, I hit one of them and since I was locked onto the pedals, went over and landed on my back then then my head hit the ground. Helmet saved my head and was destroyed in the process. I don't go anywhere without a helmet on. To each his own I guess, unless it's the law.
I know a lot of riders love the wind in their hair and bugs in their teeth, but I've been researching a paper on helmet laws for a speach class and the statistics don't lie. Sure, you can die from other injuries in a motorcycle crash, but in some states where helmet laws were imposed, deaths from head injuries are reduced 30% or more. That's more than enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
more comfortable while riding, my helmet is like a pillow. I don't have to deal with wind and bugs, the wind noise is cut down significantly, it doesn't affect my vision in the slightest. The eye/face protection from bugs/wind is pretty big.

edit: bicycling was brought up in post below, didn't feel like making another post
I typically don't wear a helmet on my road cycle and I've gotten it up to reasonable speeds where a helmet would likely be useful, There are a few fun downhills in the area where you can pass cars if they're going the speed limit +/-5mph (speed limit 30 where I'm thinking) On my mtb my mentality causes me to expect crashing so wearing a helmet there is pretty important. Something about the road cycle makes me think that I don't really need the helmet not sure what that is though. I don't consider bicycle helmets to be comfortable like my scorpion.
kg4kpg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #48
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

It's tough for non riders to see. My sister in law is a non rider and witnessed a rider sliding down the road on bare skin. It's still a traumatic memory for her. Be mindful and let her express herself, it's part of the process of coming to terms with things in life.
that's why you wear proper gear and slide like a boss , get the **** back up, pick up your bike, give a thumbs up to everyone around you, who are all in awe...then ride away like nothing ever happened

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #49
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@LNasty: It must have been horrible for her to see that. I can't even imagine the pain the rider went through and is probably still going through.

A guy at work who sits near me got hit by a car just yesterday. He's an ATGATT guy: he didn't get any rash, spinal or head injuries, but the impact smashed up his leg quite badly.

I see gear as a vital but imperfect fall-back. Riding defensively, pre-empting traffic behaviour, regularly practising emergency braking and paying full attention at all times are some of the other things I consider vital to street riding. I don't want any of this stuff encoded in law and enforced down the barrel of a gun though. It's an individual's choice how they run their life so long as they are not causing harm or loss to others... this includes the ability to make bad personal choices. I think ninjette.org has a massive positive impact on people's choices regarding gear.

@GHill762: I hope you haven’t been put off by the response you got to your helmet comments. It's not personal. I'm sure everyone in here just wants to see you safe. I think they also want to make sure any new riders who stop by aren't given the impression that it's a good idea to ride their motorcycle without a helmet.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #50
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@LNasty: It must have been horrible for her to see that. I can't even imagine the pain the rider went through and is probably still going through.

A guy at work who sits near me got hit by a car just yesterday. He's an ATGATT guy: he didn't get any rash, spinal or head injuries, but the impact smashed up his leg quite badly.

Yeah gear might not make you immune to all injuries, but had your coworker not been wearing any I bet he wouldn't be at work to tell you about it.

@GHill762: I hope you haven’t been put off by the response you got to your helmet comments. It's not personal. I'm sure everyone in here just wants to see you safe. I think they also want to make sure any new riders who stop by aren't given the impression that it's a good idea to ride their motorcycle without a helmet.
I second that, many of us have personally witnessed or have had close friends and family affected by their decision to not wear a helmet (even on 10mph quick rides). I personally witnessed a guy get hit by a red light runner about 10 years ago. He was messed up bad, but would have probably not of had the extensive head trauma had he been wearing a helmet. Not too be to gory, but half the guys face was left on the pavement and he was barely breathing. His hips were more than likely broken due to the position his legs were in, gear would not have stopped this. bones will heal, but your brain is not as tough as the rest of the body. It doesnt take much to knock you into a world of breathing with a tube and becoming a vegetable. My lack of comfort far outweighs the risk of becoming a statistic.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #51
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

I've had bugs, rocks, gravel, and things I didn't recognize ping off my visor. I've also had wild turkeys fly over my head. I've also been tossed at a 'mere' 25mph onto pavement; all the falling practice in the world didn't keep there from being some head contact, and I'm an undamaged rider because of the helmet.

In some states (inc. MI now) it's a choice; that's fine. Life is yours to live, not mine to dictate. I'm going to go on record, though; any choice other than a full-face helmet means you dislike your own life, not to mention face. I'm even wary about flip-up helmets, and I wear one (Bell Revolver Evo); not that I distrust the locking mechanism, but the structural integrity is necessarily a bit weaker, and it's my HEAD.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #52
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

First off to the original poster. I hope your wife is not too traumatized by the accident she witnessed. The problem with bikes is the fact that the rider is more prone to being injured in any type of incident. As everyone here know this is the trade off for the sheer enjoyment of riding! You Wife should realize (thru your riding technique) that you ride as safe as possible thus reducing the risk as much as possible. She will have to get over the scene she witnessed and there is little you can do to help her. The only suggestion I can offer is have her watch a few of the Moto GP crash videos on Youtube (pick the proper ones before showing her). She will see how much the safety gear can protect a rider during a crash. There are plenty of videos of riders crashing at 100+ mph and just getting up and running to their bikes to continue riding. Other than that I cannot think of much which will give her peace.

Second: Great to read so many passionate arguments for ATGATT! The third day I ever rode a street bike I had a highside which threw me onto my head. I would have died for sure if I had not been wearing a (really cheap)helmet. I do not feel safe without my gear. I just am not comfortable riding without at least my jacket, helmet (much better quality now a days) my gloves and pants. I do have boots but sometimes I just wear my work boots (steel toe) and not my riding boots. The longer I ride the more I feel I need the gear even though I was at a higher risk when I was younger!

Well I really wish the OP the best in luck with his Wife and I wish the rest of you ATGATT warriors for your passionate devotion to rider safety to all.

We have freedom of choice in this great country but when people choose to NOT wear their gear, it affects all of us. There is the general perception of the non riding public but there is also the high insurance prices because of the money the insurance company must pay to repair the parts you chose not to protect. I wonder how much it would cost to insure a 2015 GSXR 1000 if everyone who rode them wore ATGATT? Last time I checked (2001) it was more a year for insurance that the monthly payments would cost and I was in my 30s with a clean driving record.

Last futzed with by Ducati999; March 29th, 2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Wife not girl friend
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #53
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Last futzed with by Ducati999; Yesterday at 06:20 PM. Reason: Wife not girl friend
Unintentional funny, right there.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #54
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Unintentional funny, right there.
Thank you, was going to mention it, but didn't get around to it
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2014, 06:12 AM   #55
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

Quote:

I see gear as a vital but imperfect fall-back. Riding defensively, pre-empting traffic behaviour, regularly practising emergency braking and paying full attention at all times are some of the other things I consider vital to street riding. I don't want any of this stuff encoded in law and enforced down the barrel of a gun though. It's an individual's choice how they run their life so long as they are not causing harm or loss to others... this includes the ability to make bad personal choices. I think ninjette.org has a massive positive impact on people's choices regarding gear.

lol, I just don't get on a whole lot, especially on the weekends.. as you can see by my low post count.. I have thicker skin than that

the helmet thing is a choice. I understand the risk..
GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #56
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

my friend went over his bars on a bicycle and landed on his face without a helmet. He wasnt going that fast either, maybe 12 mph which is about average on a flat surface with a road bike on a casual ride to the market.

Crushed sinuses, both eyes bruised, broken nose, fractured skull, chipped teeth. Miraculously all the broken pieces went together without surgery and he didnt need a titanium plate embedded in his skull. I remember seeing him in the hospital for the first time and his eyes were swollen blue and shut he looked like an alien. Right after the accident he had refused transportation in an ambulance and went home, only to throw up blood shortly after from the broken nose/sinuses.

not fun to see. Now all my friends wear helmets whether biking, skiing/boarding, motorcycle riding (not that we ever had the inclination not to wear it, but this is a definite motivator). Never again.

Do what you will. My helmets are all comfortable and would never ride without one. I feel naked without it going down a ski slope at 50 mph for example.

without a helmet, schumacher would most definitely be dead.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #57
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
my friend went over his bars on a bicycle and landed on his face without a helmet. He wasnt going that fast either, maybe 12 mph which is about average on a flat surface with a road bike on a casual ride to the market.

Crushed sinuses, both eyes bruised, broken nose, fractured skull, chipped teeth. Miraculously all the broken pieces went together without surgery and he didnt need a titanium plate embedded in his skull. I remember seeing him in the hospital for the first time and his eyes were swollen blue and shut he looked like an alien. Right after the accident he had refused transportation in an ambulance and went home, only to throw up blood shortly after from the broken nose/sinuses.

not fun to see. Now all my friends wear helmets whether biking, skiing/boarding, motorcycle riding. Never again.

Do what you will.
Is he a tard on a bicycle? 12 MPH on a flat road and he went over his handlebars... wtf. Sure... he needs a helmet... preferably a full face helmet.

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #58
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

Quote:
Is he a tard on a bicycle? 12 MPH on a flat road and he went over his handlebars... wtf. Sure... he needs a helmet.
panic brake from tailgating my other friend.

he's a lot wiser now, thanks to that incident. Now he's all into getting the proper gear with my assistance.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #59
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #60
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ BWAAA HA HA. That's awsome! What a goof.