ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #41
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

My old 99 pregen is warm blooded and takes time to warm up. Just curious if the EFI takes time to warm up or does it run straight from cold like a car?
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #42
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Gotta say that I disagree with some of the comparisons made in the first post, but my only experience with the 250 is the pre-gen model.

-Compared to the pre-gen the 300 headlights put a lot more light on the road. I noticed the difference immediately when riding to work at night. Even with an upgraded bulb in the 250 the stock 300 headlight was brighter.

-I've never even noticed the "sinking" feeling from the 300 kickstand. I mean I guess it does move a little, but it never worried me. The one on my 250 moves some too, but maybe not as much.

-Don't the new gen 250 and the 300 have the same brakes? The stock pads on the 300 are nothing to write home about, but it's a cheap and easy swap for some better ones. The stock 300 brakes are adequate IMO.

-The 300 has some kind of "clutch assist". Not really sure what that means but it has a little easier pull than the 250. Not as light as the hydraulic clutch on my 450 though.

-I have no clue how anyone could think the carbed ninjetes have a better throttle feel. The EFI on the 300 is awesome, it never misses a beat and the throttle response is instant,.. with one exception, and that's the transition from on to off throttle

Going from on to off throttle, or off to on when you're moving can get a little jerky. It's not a problem for me except when cruising around town. Because of the down low torque of the 300 it's easy to cruise at around town speeds in 4th gear while barely opening the throttle.

If the car ahead of you slows down a little and you give it a little less throttle, well because you barely had the throttle on in the first place you just end up closing the throttle and start decelerating quickly. Then when you open the throttle again the bike jerks forward.

That's the one flaw with the 300's fueling, after they got the recalled ecu's replaced of course. After owning the 300 I seriously doubt that I will purchase another carbed bike. When I bought my 450 I searched high and low for something with EFI cause I love the instant throttle response, and dealing with carbs is a pain.

-Can't say that I think the 300 runs any hotter than my 250. In fact the heat off the 300 might be even less noticeable, due to the extra bodywork trapping the heat. Kawasaki's engineers really did a good job with the heat management system on the 300 IMO. Yeah, it does blow the hot air out of the bottom of the bike. I haven't figured where at yet though cause I've just never noticed it.

Both the 250 and the 300 put off very little heat though. Ride a SS bike with an undertail exhaust if you want to know what hot really is.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #43
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Don't the new gen 250 and the 300 have the same brakes? The stock pads on the 300 are nothing to write home about, but it's a cheap and easy swap for some better ones. The stock 300 brakes are adequate IMO.
The 250 has sintered brake pads. The 300 has only semi-metallic composite brakes that are somewhere between typical sintered and organic brake pads, except for the ABS bikes that get sintered pads up front.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #44
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Added ur comparison to the OP.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #45
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Haha, all that heavy breathing after almost ass packing everyone you KNOW he needed to change his pants.
HAHAHA You worded that PERFECTLY!

on a serious note that is some scary stuff though.

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #46
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Danny, fun racing tip. The person behind almost always loses. I've had a handful of experiences of people slamming into me at corner entries. The person behind usually gets destroyed.

I want to make a comparison. Someone let me ride a 300. I've actually never been on one.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #47
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Also from my pov, it becomes really transparent during rev matching downshifts, particularly from 2nd to 1st at 10mph when coming to a stop at a red light. While in 2nd gear, throttle is completely closed. When I blip to downshift into first, the ECU isn't quick enough to react in time (we're talking split seconds here). And the bike doesn't blip at all!
Take your catalytic converter out of the exhaust and throw the o2-sensor as far away as you can.
@ninjamunky85, for you it's about the o2-sensor also ("If the car ahead of you slows down a little and you give it a little less throttle, well because you barely had the throttle on in the first place you just end up closing the throttle and start decelerating quickly. Then when you open the throttle again the bike jerks forward.")
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 4th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #48
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Danny, fun racing tip. The person behind almost always loses. I've had a handful of experiences of people slamming into me at corner entries. The person behind usually gets destroyed.

I want to make a comparison. Someone let me ride a 300. I've actually never been on one.
I was gonna say that you'll get to ride mine, but I guess it's also kinda not stock

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #49
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Take your catalytic converter out of the exhaust and throw the o2-sensor as far away as you can.
@ninjamunky85, for you it's about the o2-sensor also ("If the car ahead of you slows down a little and you give it a little less throttle, well because you barely had the throttle on in the first place you just end up closing the throttle and start decelerating quickly. Then when you open the throttle again the bike jerks forward.")
American ninjettes don't have an O2 sensor.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 4th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #50
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

After riding yours I might decide to put one of those disgusting yet useful tailboxes on my bike lol.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #51
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
American ninjettes don't have an O2 sensor.
Thank you for this information, I didn't know that.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #52
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
There's a spot for them though! But no sensors hahaa
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #53
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

MOTM - May '15
Anyone else noticed the seat not as comfortable on the 300? Took my regulsr 100 mile loop for the first time with the 300. But I find myself moving all over the seat trying to find that perfect spot. With the 250, the seat felt firmer and supported my sit bones better? Or does my bottom have to get used to the seat?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #54
Bubba
ninjette.org member

Name: Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
Regarding Engine braking, does anyone know if the 300 utilizes DFCO (deceleration fuel cutoff?)
Almost all EFI systems shut fuel off when off-throttle. You can see this in the increased MPG.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #55
Bubba
ninjette.org member

Name: Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Anyone else noticed the seat not as comfortable on the 300? Took my regulsr 100 mile loop for the first time with the 300. But I find myself moving all over the seat trying to find that perfect spot. With the 250, the seat felt firmer and supported my sit bones better? Or does my bottom have to get used to the seat?
You can buy replacement seats. The 300 front half is narrower. You may be bottoming out and need to increase preload on the shock.

The 300 EFI is as close to perfect as you can get, no warming up, no choke, better fuel economy. Performance on the 300 is very much different than the 250 and the 300 does no touch down parts as easily as the 300 (they relocated the sidestand). ABS is just better.

The slipper assist clutch is miles better, and allows for upshifts very close in speed to a clutchless shift, the slip on downshifts avoid rear wheel lock. This gear slip issue is caused by the improper use of oils.

IMO, the 300 is a evolution from the 250 and addresses important issues.

However, the pads and lines need to be changed ASAP, and the tires are pretty weak and need to be switched out ASAP.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote