ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #41
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Thanks for the link. It was a very interesting read. He was definitely a scumbag in the past but you have to look at the present: he is broke but he is not going back to his old ways. That takes some serious willpower to not go back.
Not really. *crosses arms* I don't see everyone else without money resorting to simple but illegal ways to make money.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #42
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

smh.

dude making easy money, is addicting. He knows it was wrong and even though it would be easier to go back he chooses not to. It does take will power.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #43
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

There are people who have done more heinous stuff and who are out and about enjoying themselves, dude did steal, did cause pain and suffering but he's spreading awareness and seems to be genuinely repentant...I say we should all give him a pass and forgive his past transgressions. Personally, if it hadn't been for him, I'd still be riding around with security/theft protection being a zero priority, now, thankfully, I'm conscious to the fact and have two disc locks coming my way...and it's all thanks to this guy.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #44
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

So I plan on buying my first bike very soon. I have my heart set on a pre gen ninja 250.

I read pretty much the entire thread, doesn't seem like those are the types of bikes that are targeted but i still want to give myself a sense of security. He seems to recommend a good rotor lock and a chain lock. But can someone remind me what he thinks of alarm systems? I've seen the spy 5000 alarm/pager and was considering getting it. Does he say alarms are good but basically worthless?

I'm going to go back and reread most of it, but can someone who remembers list the best theft deterrents here he recommends? (maybe in order from best to worst and what types of locks he says are good?)
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #45
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
So I plan on buying my first bike very soon. I have my heart set on a pre gen ninja 250.

I read pretty much the entire thread, doesn't seem like those are the types of bikes that are targeted but i still want to give myself a sense of security. He seems to recommend a good rotor lock and a chain lock. But can someone remind me what he thinks of alarm systems? I've seen the spy 5000 alarm/pager and was considering getting it. Does he say alarms are good but basically worthless?

I'm going to go back and reread most of it, but can someone who remembers list the best theft deterrents here he recommends? (maybe in order from best to worst and what types of locks he says are good?)
These are the two good ones I remember:
Removing the clutch lever when you leave the bike.
Having a GOOD $100+ disc lock and making sure to put the axle through the side such that the rotor can't be dropped with the lock (thieves don't need your rear brake to steal the bike).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #46
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:

He seemed to think a good disk lock made a difference, but that you should put it on the rear wheel disk, not the front. He said it is usually easy to remove the front wheel (disk and all) and put a temporary new wheel in its place.

The main things I learnt from the article were:
* Try and make your bike less appealing than other near by bikes, do that by:
----- 1) making the bike more visible to the general public
----- 2) making it so it takes a longer time to remove security devices
----- 3) make sure you bike is less valuable than the others near by!
* Don't park your bike in an enclosed parking lot: these are shopping sites for thieves.
* If you hear your alarm go off, don't necessarily assume it's faulty and disable it. He said that they would keep triguring the alarm over and over until the owner disabled it for them!

Really though -- from hearing from that guy -- it seemed like all security -- save a steel vault! -- is worthless if a thief wants your bike. Theft insurance is the most important thing.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #47
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

so you guys think getting a alarm system (spy 5000) is also a good idea in addition to a alarmed disk lock?

If you were going to buy both eventually, but could only afford one at first and the second a month or two later..which would you opt for first?

Thanks.

P.S. Not really interested in the heavy duty chain lock "tremendousguilt" recommends because it is pricey, and mainly because of the fact I don't have much to chain bike to
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #48
bbonds007
The Bonds

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Yellow Ninja

I also was really concerned about security when I first got my bike, however now I feel good theft insurance + a decent non-alarm disc lock is all I need. Anything more would be overkill, unless you live in like a really sketchy area.
bbonds007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #49
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Very nice read. Thanks for the share.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #50
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I have a friend who used to lift bikes and cars.

He was a total thug but I don't hate him for it. He's been an invaluable resource to my life and is a great person now. It's easy to hate from behind a screen but I bet if you met this guy on a bus you wouldn't think he was the scum he was then.

Anyhow, I'm not worried about theft deterrence. I figure the square headlight is enough! ****'s like medusa if you look at it too long.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #51
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

The best motorcycle theft deterrent: Don't get a bike.
But if you havvvve to... that's what insurance is for.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #52
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
so you guys think getting a alarm system (spy 5000) is also a good idea in addition to a alarmed disk lock?

If you were going to buy both eventually, but could only afford one at first and the second a month or two later..which would you opt for first?

Thanks.

P.S. Not really interested in the heavy duty chain lock "tremendousguilt" recommends because it is pricey, and mainly because of the fact I don't have much to chain bike to
Definitely the disk lock. The thief can't just snap the steering lock and roll it away if there is a disk lock.

I bought an alarmed one, but ended up permanently disabling the alarm in it because the wind kept setting it off. I didn't want to upset my neighbors.

Old November 10th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #53
249cc
QrtLtrDog

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '09 250

I went to a movie theater at night in a so-so neighborhood that wasn't so bad (since it was off a main street), but the parking lot was off a side street and was sort of secluded.

I pulled the CDI, the junction box, and the starter solenoid 30amp fuse. That, and I obviously set my steering lock on. Think they could still start it somehow?
249cc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #54
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 249cc View Post
I went to a movie theater at night in a so-so neighborhood that wasn't so bad (since it was off a main street), but the parking lot was off a side street and was sort of secluded.

I pulled the CDI, the junction box, and the starter solenoid 30amp fuse. That, and I obviously set my steering lock on. Think they could still start it somehow?
Maybe not, but I bet they'd do a hell of a lot of damage trying! Bastards.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #55
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Name: Salim

Motorcycle(s): 2005 SV650S

What do you think of this?

Couldn't really believe when I saw this..some guy confessing to stealing bikes for years, as well as being a fellow rider himeself:

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/..._operator_ama/
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #56
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Pretty old...still interesting though.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:41 PM   #57
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:49 PM   #58
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Some good reading...

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #59
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Name: Salim

Motorcycle(s): 2005 SV650S

Yup, I myself have an apartment and the bike is viewable from my window. During hurricane sandy, it did not budge. But, neighbors the next day told me that some people were trying to park near it and almost hit it. Good to know I have old neighbors that stay in all day and are willing to let you know things like this.

I cringed finding that, kinda late though.
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:00 PM   #60
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Yeah, great read. I had never really thought much about security, other than simply setting the steering lock, because I live in a pretty low crime area. But that thread has got me thinking about at least ordering a disk lock.
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote