ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #41
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I was overheating when I was working on my bike last week. I had to top off the gas tank, and since the gas station is just outside my neighborhood, I left the mesh jacket at home. Needless to say the ride cooled me down. I wouldn't actually head out on the highway like that or anything further, but sometimes I will not wear a jacket to the gas station. I did wear my gloves, helmet, pants, and shoes like I always do. I was like 98*, head index of 108 or so, with 80% humidity, freaking hot!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #42
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
if you'd rather bleed than sweat, that's your choice *shrug*
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #43
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuslars View Post
I'm *not* putting my bike away from July to September b/c it's too hot to ride with gear
That's why cages have air conditioning.

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #44
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by istreefitty View Post
Well I kind of brought up a troubling point. I am in the military, and I was stopped for wearing my gear (jacket, gloves) because it is out of regs (my jacket is colorful to say the least). I kindly asked the MSgt if he would rather me get injured significantly by not wearing my gear, and to that he had no reply. I know that the USAF has no "uniform approved" gear but the number of Blue Falcons in the AF is astonising......anything to make themselves feel better i guess, any comments
I hate SNCOs that pull that crap. (not saying other ranks don't do it too, just had most my problems come from the upper level) I wear a black leather jacket with a vest over my uniform every day. Jacket comes off and blouse goes on every time I step off the bike though.

Next time that crap comes up, here is the reg you need to keep you in the clear.

AFI 91-207
3.4.2.4.3. Protective Clothing. Wear of long sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves are required. Gloves should be sturdy, non slip type to permit a firm grip on the controls. Wear of a motorcycle jacket and pants constructed of abrasion resistant materials such as leather, Kevlar®, and/or Cordura® containing impact absorbing padding are strongly encouraged.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/share.../AFI91-207.pdf
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #45
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thanks for sharing Tor. Always good to have the regs on your side.
Snake is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #46
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Yea I know that reg quite well....But to him it was no excuse to wear one in uniform. His suggestion was wear my civys then change when I get to work. You dont know how much I wanted to punch him in the face.

This same thing happened when Blues Monday rolled around. Our MX troops at our squadron were instructed coming to work on Mon wearing full blues then change into BDUs/ABUs when required to work on the flightline, THEN change back into blues to go to lunch, go home, ect.......yea that lasted all of 1 Monday before the Sq commander called "knock it off"

That is the problem with the AF regs (specifically Dress and Apperance) it is all inclusive but not all encompanying of every situation.

Another example is the wear of my flightsuite everyday.......but that is a completely different BS rant and has nothing to do with motorcycle gear
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #47
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Quote:
This same thing happened when Blues Monday rolled around. Our MX troops at our squadron were instructed coming to work on Mon wearing full blues then change into BDUs/ABUs when required to work on the flightline, THEN change back into blues to go to lunch, go home, ect.......yea that lasted all of 1 Monday before the Sq commander called "knock it off"

Another example is the wear of my flightsuite everyday.......but that is a completely different BS rant and has nothing to do with motorcycle gear
Ahahahah, I myself am a MX troop and I can only imagine the sh**storm that would have happened had that happened at my squadron. As soon as rumors of that started circling around we were informed to not even bothering worrying about it because it would never affect us. At least your commander was smart enough to halt it the first monday.

As for the flightsuit.. So you're one of 'em zipper suited sun gods, eh? Shoulda known.. Just kidding.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #48
taztabboo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Teresa

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 - "Black Betty"

Quote:
Well I kind of brought up a troubling point. I am in the military, and I was stopped for wearing my gear (jacket, gloves) because it is out of regs (my jacket is colorful to say the least). I kindly asked the MSgt if he would rather me get injured significantly by not wearing my gear, and to that he had no reply. I know that the USAF has no "uniform approved" gear but the number of Blue Falcons in the AF is astonising......anything to make themselves feel better i guess, any comments

Were you on your bike at the time or just walking around?

We are here at DLI which is a training base and generally tougher these types of regs then of bases we have been to and the standard here for all services(we are AF) students and staff is if you are on your bike or right next to your bike your gear including helmet is good to go and you have to have the reflective vest on, but if you are walking into/out of a building or through the lot you should be in proper uniform and carrying your gear.
taztabboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #49
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
Oscar, just think of the pounds you're shedding while sweating in your gear! great way to stay trim
For real man, I swear I lost about 5 lb in water weight yesterday.. crazy heat wave up in Washington (94+ degrees, 88-97% humidity).

With that said, I think wearing gear is a personal choice - most people (especially on this forum) are aware of the consequences of not wearing a full leather suit. IMO, the only people more annoying than Gear Nazi's are people who shove God in your face.

FWIW, I almost always gear up (helmet, leather jacket, gauntlet gloves, SIDI race boots, Knox Knee Armor) but if/when I choose not to, it'll be a personal decision. It's my body, and as long as I hold myself responsible for what happens to it, I should be able to wear (or not wear) whatever the hell I want without self righteous gear goons jumping all over me.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #50
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
If you think it is too hot for gear think of the guys racing all summer. You just have to go fast enough that the breeze keeps you cool.

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #51
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
I think wearing gear is a personal choice - most people (especially on this forum) are aware of the consequences of not wearing a full leather suit. IMO, the only people more annoying than Gear Nazi's are people who shove God in your face.

FWIW, I almost always gear up (helmet, leather jacket, gauntlet gloves, SIDI race boots, Knox Knee Armor) but if/when I choose not to, it'll be a personal decision. It's my body, and as long as I hold myself responsible for what happens to it, I should be able to wear (or not wear) whatever the hell I want without self righteous gear goons jumping all over me.
Not only do we share the exact same attitude on gear ("pro-choice", lol).... we have the same first name?

minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #52
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i often work in the emergency room. when we get motorcyclists who crashed not wearing gear, i can't say i feel too sorry for them. seeing the road rash they get is a very good reminder why i should continue to wear my gear.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #53
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

I graduated from DLI what language are you?? I am airborn what are you?? hit me up if you have any non classified questions about our job

Also the point I was trying to make is there is nowhere addressing civilian jacket/pants in military uniform. You see TECHNICALLY he has a point, as you arent spose to wear civilian stuff with military uniforms (other than reflective vests). It just burns me that some one would go out of their way to tell me i was out of regs. I hope you arent ground coz there are a lot of a holes with time on their hands (i just got an assignment working with ground peeps in HI)

Old July 29th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #54
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
...Also the point I was trying to make is there is nowhere addressing civilian jacket/pants in military uniform. You see TECHNICALLY he has a point, as you arent spose to wear civilian stuff with military uniforms (other than reflective vests). It just burns me that some one would go out of their way to tell me i was out of regs.
YO!... Wait a minute

bruddah, are you telling me that someone PULLED you over while driving on base just to tell you that you were out of farking uniform?!?!?!?

PLEASE say it isnt SO!
so...this had nothing to do with your safety on a motorcycle but....GEEZE, the clothes you're wearing with your uniform?...this was about uniform regulations?!?!?!?
if it is...that boy is ATE UP! those are the kinds of folks that had their asses kicked growing up and decided to become authority figures to punish the world for it.

sorry, i am in no way implying all service folks are anal like this...i was in the airforce and trust me, i KNOW THE TYPE. if thats all this person has to do....he's hurting!

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #55
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

There was a bad bike crash just down the street from my house, he was alright, because thankfully he was in a 1peice leather suit =), I won't get on the bike without my gear.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #56
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Sweat evaporates MUCH faster than skin heals.

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #57
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Here in the Tidewater area of VA (I'm stationed aboard the USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT CVN71), even with Langley and the shipyards up on the penninsula, no one takes a second look at any Sailor/Marine/Airman/Soldier with fatigues on and their safety gear, no matter how colorful, while on their bike (to include travelling in either direction between their work center and bike parking).

Our motorcycle safety program in this area is VERY strong (Mandatory attendance helps, LOL, but so do quarterly bike rodeos), and one of the best ways that local base commanders in the MIDLANT region came up with for promoting bike safety was to blanket allow the wearing of motorcycle safety gear with the BDU uniforms. It ensures that every rider has steel toed high top leather boots, full leg covering, and long sleeves, along with their helmet and gloves.

I can't imagine some asshat, WHOEVER he thinks he is or what his authority is, stopping a bike rider on one of our local bases and having the same conversation you had. That would ensure the asshat got a good reaming out as soon as it was reported up the chain of command.

As to the nomer "Blue Falcon", I can only guess that the applicable gung ho sea lawyer naval equavilent would be a "Joe Navy".

Old July 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #58
taztabboo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Teresa

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 - "Black Betty"

Quote:
I graduated from DLI what language are you?? I am airborn what are you?? hit me up if you have any non classified questions about our job
I am now DOD Civilian former AD AF. I got out a few years back but I am married to a Airborn Heb currently serving as a ATA at the Sqdrn. We orginially came through 02-03 did so time in TX and NE to come back to CA.
taztabboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #59
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Wow I just left NE to come to HI to work. When did you leave Nebraska?? I am sure we may have roamed the halls of work togther. I am a MB btw. It s. Small world huh??
Posted via Mobile Device