ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 5th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #41
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Are you sure?

an·ar·chy

/ˈanərkē/

noun

noun: anarchy

a state of disorder due to absence or no recognition of authority.
"he must ensure public order in a country threatened with anarchy"
First definition on dictionary.com:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anarchy
Quote:
anarchy[ an-er-kee ]
noun
1. a state of society without government or law.
Any reason why you omitted that one other than to manipulate the conversation?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #42
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
First definition on dictionary.com:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anarchy

Any reason why you omitted that one other than to manipulate the conversation?
Umm no

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=anarchy+definition

Old June 6th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #43
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

In that case, thanks for explaining exactly what I just said.

Quote:
an·ar·chy
ˈanərkē/Submit
noun
a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.
"he must ensure public order in a country threatened with anarchy"
synonyms: lawlessness, nihilism, mobocracy, revolution, insurrection, disorder, chaos, mayhem, tumult, turmoil More
antonyms: government, order
[b]absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual, regarded as a political ideal.[b]
It says right there that "lawlessness" is a synonym for "anarchy."
Also, the law is an authority. Heck, "The Law" is often CALLED "The Authorities." How poorly do you understand your own view? Perhaps it is more that you don't understand the definition well enough to realize that it is exactly what I said.

Edit: Arguing over the definition of the word only serves one purpose: to have the last word. Shame on us. I'm sorry I let it devolve into this.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 9th, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #44
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
legal? or common practice? because there is a massive difference.
Legal. They pull people over for "safety checks".
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #45
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Legal. They pull people over for "safety checks".
federally, you need probable cause to pull someone over. you cannot pull someone over in order to look for a crime being committed. you need a reasonable belief that they are already violating a law in order to begin the process of stopping someone. this means the bike must be visibly showing some kind of violation. if your bike is not in violation of a code, and they pull you over, they are breaking the law.

so when you get pulled over, you pull to the side, turn the bike off and put the key in the gas lock, stay on the bike and say before the cop has a chance to say anything but after he has exited his cruiser; "hello sir, i have my license and papers ready for you but i noticed that i didn't violate any laws so before i give you my papers i must insist to know the reason why i am being pulled over because otherwise this is an illegal stop and i would like to speak directly to your sergeant. don't worry, i will wait here until he arrives."

if the sargeant pulled you over, tell him to wait while you speak with your lawyer and ask him to wait in his car while you have a priviledged conversation which he cannot listen to. take your time with the phone call. chances are that he will give you a stern talking to and then leave. try your best to waste as much of his time so he learns a lesson

Old June 6th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #46
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
federally, you need probable cause to pull someone over. you cannot pull someone over in order to look for a crime being committed. you need a reasonable belief that they are already violating a law in order to begin the process of stopping someone. this means the bike must be visibly showing some kind of violation. if your bike is not in violation of a code, and they pull you over, they are breaking the law.

so when you get pulled over, you pull to the side, turn the bike off and put the key in the gas lock, stay on the bike and say before the cop has a chance to say anything but after he has exited his cruiser; "hello sir, i have my license and papers ready for you but i noticed that i didn't violate any laws so before i give you my papers i must insist to know the reason why i am being pulled over because otherwise this is an illegal stop and i would like to speak directly to your sergeant. don't worry, i will wait here until he arrives."

if the sargeant pulled you over, tell him to wait while you speak with your lawyer and ask him to wait in his car while you have a priviledged conversation which he cannot listen to. take your time with the phone call. chances are that he will give you a stern talking to and then leave. try your best to waste as much of his time so he learns a lesson
https://casetext.com/case/wagner-v-swarts#.U5IdYyiodnk

Again, not saying I agree but it's legal in NY to get pulled over for a safety check. Your advice for a New Yorker is a little naive and misinformed. The person likely to "learn a lesson" is the individually following the above steps.

Hopefully, in the near future they'll change it and make these type of safety checks illegal. I've already gotten pulled over for this once and now I avoid areas like Times Square where you are more likely to be pulled over.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #47
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just stepping in for a brief clarification on how I am reading this thread...

The case linked above is questioning the constitutionality of safety checkpoints, where a fixed point is set up, notifications are provided to motorists, and all (in theory) must pull over to be checked for whatever the checkpoint is looking for. The judge ruled that they were constitutional and listed the reasons yadda yadda.

In cadd's case, there was no checkpoint. It was just a random stop, by several officers. No fixed site, no advanced notification, no warnings, and only cadd was subject to. Not a checkpoint and so not covered by the linked case.

I question the true legality of checkpoints, but tolerate them. However, if I get pulled over, repeatedly, for simply being a motorcycle, no that is wrong and illegal.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #48
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
not to mention the people in that case were actually breaking the law when they were given a ticket.

Old June 7th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #49
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Alright! My buddy just called me saying he got stopped twice today! Both times NYPD tailed him for 1/2 block and turned on lights and siren.

Both stops were under 1 minute. He provided "his papers" and was free to go.

He rides an HD Iron 883. Full face helmet, summer jacket (mesh), motorcycle jeans, and casual looking (TCx I believe) motorcycle shoes.

First stop was Lex & 23rd (by Baruch College). 2nd stop was by 62nd & 1st (by the 59th Street bridge).

Both stops were captured on helmet cam as well.

I'm riding into the city tonight as well (but don't really want to now....Maybe I'll take the car instead). Let me speak with him.

If we decide to send videos to NYPD and/or media, is it possible for the mods to delete this thread?

It's really getting ridiculous. And no, we don't ride like D-bags.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #50
Joshua763
ninjette.org guru

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): five honda's one harley one ninja most have sold all where fun.(one honda was a moped)

I am glad I am not close to NYC right now. Sorry to hear about the harassment. Butting heads with police never has worked for me.
Joshua763 is offline   Reply With Quote