Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Closed Thread

Old November 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #41
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I'm from California and currently living in country where lane splitting is legal. I've always done it and recognize the dangers, as well as some techniques to make it safer.

The riders in OP video were going too fast. If you are going more than 10-15MPH faster than traffic while splitting, you cannot adequately respond to people who change lanes unexpectedly. The rider who crashed was going faster than the rider with the camera, and the rider with the camera was, in my estimation, exceeding safe speed differential.

Here are the lane-splitting rules I live by:

*Keep differences in speed between you and traffic down. As said, about 10-15MPH differential max.
*Look ahead, not just the car in front of you, but 3-4 cars ahead as well so you can anticipate what is coming.
*Do not assume that cars changing lanes will signal.
*Be very careful any time there is a gap in traffic, and assume that a car will try to fill that gap without signaling. When you have a gap that a car might pull into, you have to cover the brakes and pick a exit route.
*That happens a lot, and it is why you shouldn't/can't get going too much faster than traffic when you are splitting.
*If the gap in traffic is big enough, stop lane splitting, pull into the gap and ride along with the flow of traffic.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old November 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #42
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Making friends and impressing people.... lane splitting is fun for everyone!

Do you think the cager in this little incident appreciated having his mirror damaged?

Link to original page on YouTube.

Explain to me why the lane splitting motorcylist is so angry, laying on the horn like that? Is there a law that says the driver of the truck can't change lanes? The rider reads off the truck's license plate number as if he's going to report him. So when a motorcyle is lane splitting is evey car on the road prohibited from changing lanes? The truck even signalled the lane change and the Douchebag on the bike came charging up on him anyway. Did you notice that the motorcyclist has his hazard flashers going and his high-beam light on? Mr. Considerate.

Link to original page on YouTube.

If this is representative of even a small percentage of lane splitting behavior then it's a wonder the cagers aren't intentionally aiming for them.

For the first video, my first thought was....'look at what he's riding?'. I'm sorry but certain bikes are too big for lane splitting and you should definitely have complete confidence and control of your bike before you ever attempt it.

For the second one, it WAS illegal. The guy changing lanes was crossing a double yellow. Try to at least take the time to pay attention to everything in the video and know what you're talking about before coming here and arguing with other members. I've yet to see one person who actually appreciates any input you've given to this community.

And if the cager lane changing illegally and the other changing lanes without looking is representative of even a small percentage of typical cager behavior, then it's a wonder the bikers don't carry ball bearings and other 'weapons' to express their distaste, right? Wrong.

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #43
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
For the second one, it WAS illegal. The guy changing lanes was crossing a double yellow. Try to at least take the time to pay attention to everything in the video and know what you're talking about before coming here and arguing with other members.
That's it Mark, arrive late in the discussion, fail to read all the posts and then make a relatively ugly statement about something that's already been recognized and corrected (and I thanked the guy who pointed the information out to me). Good job, airman.

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #44
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Point proven.

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #45
greg737
-

No, all it proves is I'm batting 1000 at offending you. So far it hasn't been a big challenge.

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #46
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

If that's what you gets you off. You haven't offended me at all, just a bit shocked that in a community full of generally friendly and helpful people, someone like yourself who is blatantly rude and disrespectful is allowed to continue posting. Guess trolls really are everywhere.

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #47
greg737
-

Come on Mark, it's weak to resort to name-calling so early in the game. I do like the repeated use of the word "community" though.

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #48
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/closed (T.O.S. 4.4)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Closed Thread