ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Closed Thread

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #41
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

And for the record, I've never ridden anything more powerful than the 650 - my choice. Anything with more power would be more than I'd want and definitely dangerous for a new rider. Be safe and stay within your limits - whatever they might be.

Old April 10th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #42
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninjette

I've cruised parking lots on some heavy machinery my friends call "motorcycles".... more like "jet-turbine-penis-supplements"... damn suicide machines, if they ever used them for more than hard parking and looking cool at their local coffee shops...

I just smile and tell them I don't have enough room between my legs for that much hardware with the existing equipment, but good for them I don't see the fun of their bikes... they are uncomfortable, bulky, and entirely unused on the street. Why would you commute on an r1 or cbr1000 etc.? I don't even get the ones who commute on their ducks and speed triples but then they track sv650's.... seriously... seriously? That's like daily driving an f1 car and tracking your corolla sedan rofl

I get that the sv650 seems to have a great racing class, but still... if the sv650 is your race bike and is insanely fun at the track... why do you think you need the sportier bikes for commuting? :confused

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #43
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay11 View Post
Lol. Well I wasn't overconfident to the point where I started on a supersport. I bought the bike in March, but started doing research back in December. Up until February I was leaning more towards getting a 250r. Like I said, the main reason I got a 650 was because my daily commute involves using the freeway, and while the 250r can do fine on the freeway, the 650 won't have issues cruising at 80 for longer periods. I'll admit I was nervous at first.. hell even moving at 5mph just by letting out the clutch was nerve wracking. But after about the first 30 miles or so, it became really easy. Idk how I sound nervous to you, I've been out riding with other people now, usually side by side with a friend and some group rides, and don't have any troubles. No chicken strips either :P

Oh and also 1 of the friends I've been riding with rides a cbr600rr now, and he started on a 250. When I asked him about it he actually told me not to start on a 250.. Then again he also rides his bike pretty hard.. redlining before shifting and doing wheelies etc.
The 250 can do 80 all day no issue.

Rode 1700 miles to Georgia and back last week, at highway speeds on my 250.

Which actually tops out slower than a Ninja 250.

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything. It's fine that you got a 650. IMO, I just don't think freeway speeds are a real reason to go for a 650 over a 250 for a first bike. You were just worrying too much about your commute and not as much about learning. That's what a first bike is all about. What Jiggles is saying is right. There are a LOT of external factors that come into play when you're in the street. Learning to ride and watch out for these hazards everyday is what riding safely is all about.

Last futzed with by etiainen; April 10th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #44
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland View Post
I get that the sv650 seems to have a great racing class, but still... if the sv650 is your race bike and is insanely fun at the track... why do you think you need the sportier bikes for commuting? :confused
First off, slow down cowboy. I was not calling you sexist, hence the smiley. I was just pointing out that you may be surprised if your lady catches the bug. Show her the picture thread of our lady riders and get her interested. You know her best. If she is really timid, two wheel travel may not be her cup of tea.

Anyway, I'll see if I can explain about the track vs. nice bike thing. Having a track only bike like the SV650, that you can race and have tons of relatively inexpensive fun on, crash, and not cry your eyes out if you wad the thing up in a ball is a good thing. Having a really trick, expensive, canyon carving, commuting bike is also a really good thing. Having a Ninja 250 for canyon carving, commuting, track day riding, and if you want, racing. Is just as good.

It is not the type of bike you ride that is important.

Still confused?

Oh, one more thing. Not too may car driving skills transfer to riding a motorcycle. The only thing that transferred to me from various driving schools was getting used to going fast and being precise. Riding a motorcycle on the street and track involves a completely different skill set.

Jeff

Old April 10th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #45
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I've cruised parking lots on some heavy machinery my friends call "motorcycles".... more like "jet-turbine-penis-supplements"... damn suicide machines, if they ever used them for more than hard parking and looking cool at their local coffee shops...

I just smile and tell them I don't have enough room between my legs for that much hardware with the existing equipment, but good for them I don't see the fun of their bikes... they are uncomfortable, bulky, and entirely unused on the street. Why would you commute on an r1 or cbr1000 etc.? I don't even get the ones who commute on their ducks and speed triples but then they track sv650's.... seriously... seriously? That's like daily driving an f1 car and tracking your corolla sedan rofl

I almost bought a ninja 1000 instead of the 650 for commuting. I had no desire for the extra power, the bike was just really really comfortable. It was the perfect fit for me. But the new 650 was close to perfect and considering insurance and all that, that's why I went 650 instead of 1000.

As far as people getting supersports to commute, some people just think that posture is more comfortable. And the extra acceleration over the 250 on the freeway is pretty nice it's not necessary, but it is nice.

I get what you are saying but I think you need to be a little less judgmental of what people choose to ride. Judge how they ride not what they ride. There are a lot of people on this forum who have just 600s. And as far as people tracking less capable bikes? Well maybe they want to reach the limits of that bike before they move to the next class up, kinda like you huh?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs

Old April 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #46
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

I'd borrow a buddies bike or take MSF to learn to ride, then go for demo days, this will help you decide what you want.

As for the miata, I never see those around, if i do they are stock.

As for civic's...now that's something else, lol

Old April 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #47
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post

Oh, one more thing. Not too may car driving skills transfer to riding a motorcycle. The only thing that transferred to me from various driving schools was getting used to going fast and being precise. Riding a motorcycle on the street and track involves a completely different skill set.

Jeff
Not saying it's the same skill set, obviously it's not. However, a person who has been driving wheel to wheel on closed road coarses, driving stick their entire life, and has a 450whp/tq 2400lb car with no ABS, and small tires, in general, is probably much more suited to a powerful bike and the respect it commands and responsibility to not kill themselves, than say... a squid who wants a gixxer because it's the coolest bike he's ever seen and all his cool friend have them and the stunters use them, and he has never done any advanced driving, or ridden a bike, and doesn't know how to drive stick or understand a manual trans system/components, and has never been in any vehicle where the throttle is potent enough to warrant any kind of respect. I've ridden around the block on friends gsxr600 and a yzfr6 or whatever the name of the yamaha 600 sport bike is, neither was crazy powerful, or difficult for me to control the power of, but I wasn't interested in having that much power either. If it is what I wanted, I would be entirely confident in starting on the 650, but like I said, the 250 fits how and what I want to be riding more, with a few minor caveats.

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #48
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

also, to the notion of me judging based on bike make/model: it isn't that. As stated, these are people I know, and people who think I'm a colossal retard for wanting a 250 instead os a 600 or liter bike supersport as a starter bike. These are people I would probably never ride with because I think they are idiots, and have seen how ****** they ride. "Bar friends" not actual friends lol.

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #49
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Richard, I think you will be happy with a Ninjette. Please post up some photos when you get a bike, 250 or not. Take the MSF class. Ride safe.

Another couple of comments:

The 600RR bikes are very much different than the 650. I rode a friends 2009 ZX600RR a while back and realized once you get into the meat of the power-band that bike became a completely different animal. The bike was kind of weak on the low end of the RPM range but after a certain point, the point where the bike was in its element, mistakes by a rider would be magnified and very quickly cascade into trouble. Combine the upper RPM surge and the very no-nonsense brakes and suspension I could see where a nubie could get into trouble.

The Kawi 650 would be a good starter bike. The torque curve on the 650 twin is much more linear with a better bottom end - much easier to ride.

Jeff

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #50
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/2935947710.html

I found the perfect starter bike!

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #51
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything. It's fine that you got a 650. IMO, I just don't think freeway speeds are a real reason to go for a 650 over a 250 for a first bike. You were just worrying too much about your commute and not as much about learning. That's what a first bike is all about. What Jiggles is saying is right. There are a LOT of external factors that come into play when you're in the street. Learning to ride and watch out for these hazards everyday is what riding safely is all about.

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #52
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I haven't read the thread yet but here is MY opinion on the BEST beginner bike for all purposes. Enter Ninja 500. I don't mean to dog the 250, its a great bike, but the 500 is IMO better in every respect except looks if the 250s a newgen lol. In terms of a beginner street bike, some would say the 500 is too powerful however I say that isn't true, from idle to 6000 rpms it makes nice easy power and plenty enough to get around the city and merge onto the highway and what not. Then as your skills grow you can push it further and further, but the power is still very forgiving unlike something larger. It also has roughly twice the power of the 250, which honestly comes in handy (never ridden a 250 but the oomph of my bike is really nice...and fun...) and the difference in gas mileage isn't that huge. I got 58mpg on my last tank, which was a highway cruising between 70-90, and aggresive riding and commuting two up so thats pretty dang good, but you can get the mpg down to the low 40s or up into the 60s. It's pretty comfy too, not too upright but not too leaned over, I think a little less aggressive than the 250. Of course everyones idea of comfortable is different. In terms of track use, the 500 has a better suspension all around, has the same tire options as the 250, similar brake performance, but you're still going to get eaten alive by 600s. For two up riding, the 500s great despite what some people tend to say. Suspension sags and you can't corner as hard, but that only matters if you're racing, which you shouldn't be on the streets. Plenty of power left over, can still smoke most cars on the highway if you want, but it will lift up the front wheel a bit even with a really light (90lb) passenger under heavy acceleration. Lol I wrote this in a hurry so its sorta messy :P

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #53
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

You've never ridden a 250...
so
Quote:
but the 500 is IMO better in every respect except looks if the 250s a newgen lol.
...doesn't really hold a lot of weight.

I've ridden both. I would take my newgen 250 over a 500 ANY DAY. My 250s suspension in the twisties was so so so much better than a 500.

I don't think the 500 is better in every respect one bit.

Yes, it is faster, obv. But faster != better in every respect.

Learning to ride isn't about speed. Or keeping up with 600s on straights.

Old April 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #54
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

"I want something I can and will ride the HELL out of, pretty much all the time. "

Of everything you typed, the above gave me the clearest picture as to which bike you need. 250R...at least for now.

I say that because it's nearly impossible to 'ride the hell' out of a 650R unless you spend your life at the track. Ride the hell out of a 650R in the city, and you'll either find yourself splattered on the road, or with a stack of reckless driving tickets.

IMO, a 650R is for people who have started off smaller & sewn some of their wild oats, discovering their limitations along the way. It's also for people who have little desire to sew a lot of wild oats and just rather enjoy what the bike has to offer. That's how I roll. I LOVE having that deep reserve of power down low in the RPM range, since as you may know, North Texas cities are littered with short freeway onramps. I also use that low-end grunt to get out ahead of the pack of commuting cagers, if I find my way through the maze, or if I find myself first in line at a stop light. But as far as riding like a squid, I don't go there. I care too much about my body and too much about my bike to let either go skidding across the pavement. I've already been in one accident....it's sobering...and I wasn't even riding recklessly.

A 250 is a blast in the handling department, but leaves me a little cold in the power & wind-resistance department. I love freeway riding, but I hated it on that bike. I called it 'sensory overload'. Engine screaming, cars roaring by, and wind trying to force me to change lanes. The 650R suffers from none of that, and now I actually relish getting on Central Expressway. The 250R WOULD do it, but it just wasn't enjoyable to me, and caused way more anxiety than it did anything else. But around town....you can't beat one. Super-nimble and light, peppy enough to keep up, and great gas mileage. It's just not my idea of a great overall bike. Of course I'm just speaking for myself. Some people actually travel long distances on them...something I can't imagine.

But for someone who aspires to ride the hell out of something, it's a far better choice than just about anything larger.

Old April 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #55
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

^^^ Yeah that quote sums up why I really want the 250r to be the bike for me, like I said, I could probably handle a 650r, but I don't WANT to. I want to be able to unload and ride the hell out of it, I don't want to have to worry about it, I just want a care free bike I can shred on to my hearts content without being insanely irresponsible.

I-75 and 121 and George Bush and Dallas North toll definitely do make me worry about ever being able to comfortable use the 250r, and certainly I would never be able to ride 2up anywhere that required getting on any of them... but I will probably just get a second bike for all that when the time comes, for now, for me and what I want, I think the 250r will be terrific except for the freeways here, where it will be competent enough if I want to do it I suppose.

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #56
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Something to consider:

250's aren't 100% fail-proof as beginning bikes just because they're 250's. Plenty of people wreck and get injured on 250's. Don't begin riding a bike with that mentality.

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #57
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Old April 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #58
KawiKid860

Quote:
...doesn't really hold a lot of weight.

I've ridden both. I would take my newgen 250 over a 500 ANY DAY. My 250s suspension in the twisties was so so so much better than a 500.

I don't think the 500 is better in every respect one bit.

Yes, it is faster, obv. But faster != better in every respect.

Learning to ride isn't about speed. Or keeping up with 600s on straights.
I didn't say that the fact is was faster made it better in every respect. I simply stated that its more capable as a motorcycle than the 250, in my opinion of course (its a 250 forum so I expect disagreements obviously). I also never said that learning to ride is about speed, it definitely isn't. And the 500 definitely won't keep up with 600s lol. But the 500 has the power that the 250 doesn't so you can get used to what it feels like to go WOT and get thrown back, when you're ready for that kind of thing. So you don't go from the 250 that practically throws you forward at WOT (lololol just kidding!) to a 600 that's pulling the front wheelie up under full throttle. Theres also the other benefits of the 500s extra power such as not needing to rev as high accelerating and not needing to downshift on a hill or if traffic slows down or something and better two up capabilities. Don't get me wrong, I still want a 250, I want to eventually have a 250 and a 600+, but imo the 500 is the best of both.

Old April 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #59
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

The newgens are a much more capable motorcycle. Downshifting in traffic and using your brain instead on your throttle hand can make one a better rider as well. But don't take my word for it. Lots of people think so too here. Im not saying you were wrong going for the 500..Ive ridden both and find the 250 to be better all around. The brakes and suspension on the newgen feel a lot better. I also think the 250 challenges you to be a better rider when first starting out.

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #60
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Not considering the 500 because I find it unattractive and less comfortable. It feels more like I'm just sitting on it that in a saddle like I'm riding it... like a standard/cruiser more than a sport bike *shrug* not that the 250r is super agressive, or the 650r, but they feel very different in the saddle.

Old April 10th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #61
KawiKid860

Lol I do use my brain in traffic, my point was the extra torque makes it easier. Don't see how thats related to brain power but whatever. Looks shouldn't really count for a first bike, I found the 500 eh but the minute I saw it sitting there wanting a new owner, it striked me as really good looking and has grown on me over the several months she's been mine. Thats just me though haha and I don't mind the 90s sport bike look, heck I don't even mind the cracks and scratches on it, gives it character :P The banana seat has even grown to look good to me lol. Guess people fit bikes different, I can sit up straight or lean down aggressively on my bike.. My opinions out there now. I still consider the 500 much more capable

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #62
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Lol I do use my brain in traffic, my point was the extra torque makes it easier. Don't see how thats related to brain power but whatever. Looks shouldn't really count for a first bike, I found the 500 eh but the minute I saw it sitting there wanting a new owner, it striked me as really good looking and has grown on me over the several months she's been mine. Thats just me though haha and I don't mind the 90s sport bike look, heck I don't even mind the cracks and scratches on it, gives it character :P The banana seat has even grown to look good to me lol. Guess people fit bikes different, I can sit up straight or lean down aggressively on my bike.. My opinions out there now. I still consider the 500 much more capable
It's my money and my bike I'm going to own, and if looks subsequently, riding position/style didn't matter... well everyone would ride UJM standard style bikes, sport bikes wouldn't exist... etc.

Just because you want to empower/justify your obviously less attractive, less cool but more powerful bike doesn't mean you have to put my choice down for being based on looks.

Why shouldn't looks be a part of what I'm buying? Should I also just buy whatever bare minimum gear suffices, or do I have your permission to choose gear that I also find attractive? That response, when I tell people I primarily won't consider a pregen or 500 because they look dated and fugly compared to the 250r's pisses me off more than anything else honestly. On its own, a pregen or 500 isn't a bad looking bike, at all. Next to a facelift 250r... they look like motorcycle museum antiques, and no one is surprised if you tell them the styling is 20years old and the bikes carbuerated, even if it's an 07.The 08+ 250r on the other hand, people think they are 600+ sport bikes. Also, as stated, the saddle of the 500 and pregens feels crappy under me. I'm about 6'0 and 175lbs, and the 250r feels better under me.

Everyone has different taste. I didn't say I want a gsxr because it looks cool, I said that the styling of the 250r 08+ models makes it ideal compared to a few other select bikes that aren't bad for beginners. You love your bike, more power to you. I don't like the styling, it's not classic or timeless to me. My porsche 944 has classic, timeless handsome styling. A pregen or 500 looks outdated, and does not look modern in any way. Don't tell me I shouldn't care what my first bike looks like, and I won't tell you that your bike looks like crap to me. I'm an honest person, and can freely give my honest opinion, and also am honest enough to know I wouldn't be anywhere near as happy with a pregen or 500 compared to the 250r JUST because of the looks, nevermind how much better the 250r suits my needs.

but thanks for the pro-tip.

btw the guy you responded to on using your brain, he wasn't speaking directly to you, he was saying in general that a 250r, while requiring you (an implied you meaning "the beginning/learning rider") to rev the engine high and shift gears repeatedly to navigate city streets and manuever in traffic teacher you valuable skills, while senselessly winding around in 1-2 gears gives you a lot less practice. That torque/power becomes a learning crutch without you ever realizing you are relying on it.

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #63
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
I'd say I'll just convince her to get one as well, but she's a petit little bombshell and doesn't enjoy driving spirited so much... I dare say the 250r would be too much for her to handle. A cbr250r might fit her alright if I got her interested. Getting her to grab enough throttle to move on a 250r might be tricky lol, she's a very light footed driver
She would be absolutely fine on a ninja250 and so will you. High resale value too. On a 250 you can use all the gears in the city and on a normal relaxing ride, you shouldn't do that on a 650 in the city! So, the ninja is a great teacher.

I was the same way with the throttle but once I was shown that I could rev the living daylights out of it and still crawl at a snail's pace if I needed to, I was over that fear. Teach her feathering the clutch and she can handle anything. And so will you but the ninja will be the most fun way of learning.

The ninja can do long distance travel, the ninja can take a corner like a dream, rain riding? no problem. Adjustable everything. Make it shorter for her and tilt the levers for yourself.

Does anyone ever regret buying a ninja? I say no.
And you probably won't sell it, you'll just make room for a different bike when the time comes. Check the insurance for the ninja vs any 650 sport

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
btw the guy you responded to on using your brain, he wasn't speaking directly to you, he was saying in general that a 250r, while requiring you (an implied you meaning "the beginning/learning rider") to rev the engine high and shift gears repeatedly to navigate city streets and manuever in traffic teacher you valuable skills, while senselessly winding around in 1-2 gears gives you a lot less practice. That torque/power becomes a learning crutch without you ever realizing you are relying on it.
Actually I shift just as much on my 650 as I do on my 250, and generally around the same speeds too
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #65
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Does anyone ever regret buying a ninja? I say no.
And you probably won't sell it, you'll just make room for a different bike when the time comes. Check the insurance for the ninja vs any 650 sport
My Ninja 250r Insurance $$$$$ > $$$ My ninja 650 insurance
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #66
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

ps, same thing for love at first sight with mine. Every time I go out to the driveway, I fall in love all over again. IMHO, You need to love the look of your first bike to cherish it. It makes me want to take really good care of it and use it like it should be used and learn everything about it. If it was a butch-bike, I wouldn't feel the same attachment and care.

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #67
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
My Ninja 250r Insurance $$$$$ > $$$ My ninja 650 insurance
Is your 650 old and your ninja new or what?? I don't get it. My ins is 600 but if I'd bought the r6, it would have been double because the ninja is considered a street/sport not a pure sport.

What up with your ins?

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #68
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
The 250r is a 2011 and the 650 is a 2012. However, the 650 doesn't have an r on the end of its name
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #69
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The 250r is a 2011 and the 650 is a 2012. However, the 650 doesn't have an r on the end of its name
Oh, different ins companies do different things. The only two cheapie bikes in the list at jevco were mine and the aprilia125. ninja 400 and up were all increases by 100% per 100cc, with a few exceptions thrown in (BMWs).

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #70
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Well Canada sounds quite unpleasant
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #71
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Well Canada sounds quite unpleasant
Not from my point of view since I have the 250. When I get the BMW650, I'll be paying another $34. Cheap gas too. I could go on but you're grouchy tonight so I'm not going there.

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #72
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
What!? I'm not grouchy! Ur face!

I'm going to bed, gna pee in my cup and then painfully turn onto my stomach, hope my dog doesnt gas me, hes on the couch next to me. peace out
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #73
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
What!? I'm not grouchy! Ur face!

I'm going to bed, gna pee in my cup and then painfully turn onto my stomach, hope my dog doesnt gas me, hes on the couch next to me. peace out
Sleep peacefully, sunshine.

Old April 11th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #74
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
This is lol. Who do you have insurance through?

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #75
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
AAA
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #76
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Quote:

Yeah I know the ninja can do 80 all day.. several people told me that. But they also said that while at 80, passing power isn't so great, the bike is pretty light so it can get blown around, you'll be cruising at high rpms, etc etc. I also chose to get the 650 because of the fact that I got such a great deal on it, OTD 7300 when it's msrp is 7499.. the size was perfect etc.. This is a 250 forum so I know the majority of people here are more biased towards a 250 as a starter, and I was too.. and I'm not saying the 650 is a better starter.. but the 650 isn't a BAD starter bike. I don't regret getting the 650 and I've been having fun learning how to ride. Was a bit wary about buying a new bike in fear of dropping it.. but was willing to take that chance and it hasn't happened yet

Old April 11th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #77
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Getting blown around is something that will happen on any bike. It's more of a problem when you start out. It is something you have to get used to. It's really not as bad as a lot of newer riders make it seem to be.

I normally don't need a lot of passing power at 80MPH. That's illegal.

Old April 11th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #78
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Quote:
Getting blown around is something that will happen on any bike. It's more of a problem when you start out. It is something you have to get used to. It's really not as bad as a lot of newer riders make it seem to be.

Yeah I noticed that early on lol. Not sure where you live but people are always cruising at like 80mph here.. I'm usually going 85-90 in my car when in the fast lane.. and not the only one lol . No speeding tickets

Old April 11th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #79
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Quote:

Not in Texas it isn't.... and if the speed limit sign says 75mph and you're struggling, cars, and truckers WILL force your ass to the side. And the worst part it, you're on a motorcycle... a sport bike at that. The cool styling that sells the ninja's is the same styling that would make someone tailgate you or drive aggressively towards you because it LOOKS like it is supposed to go fast, so they assume you've got the juice and are just pussyfooting around, and if they get on you, you'll romp it.

I'd be curious if anyone local to me in north DFW area (plano/allen) would want to bring a 250r out on the highway and do some 60-80 and WOT 75+ pulls along side our 08 corolla and 97 328is to see where the ninjette falls. There are videos of passing power, but none of them really show much. That would give a fair comparison of what the ninjette's passing power equates to in terms of cars. I can't imagine it's less quick than the corola, at least not until 90+mph, while I'm sure the 328 would pull on it at those speeds pretty badly.

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #80
extremez31
ninjette.org member

Name: Rich

Motorcycle(s): 94 EX250, 81 GS450

I've taken the Ninja on the NJ turnpike. everyone averages between 70-75. To be perfectly honest the ninja doesn't have a hard time cruising at that speed. In order to safely pass a car thats doing 75 you'll need to pull to about 82-85. I think that takes about 4 seconds. But if the other driver starts to accelerate you'll probably never have the ability to pass.

Remember the ninjas top out at 95-110 depending on your weight, elevation, grade etc. Most cars built in the last 30 years can easily hit 120-130 which means they can accelerate from 75-95 much faster.

If i'm cruising on the highway at 75 mph to be honest im not really worried about passing thats fast enough on a public road.

Closed Thread