ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 20th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #41
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
This is truly a golden age of motorcycles. Having raced land speed for nine years. And done experiments with model aircraft for twelve years. Flown kites and ridden bicycles for my entire life and talked to some of the most experienced people ,who ride the fastest motorcycles on earth. I am stunned at the lack of basic aerodynamic experience and knowledge out there. What is discovered is held as closely guarded secrets. I will say that. But what is not known is astounding.

Old November 20th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #42
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

The winglets on the Ducati and Repsol bikes look more like vortex generators for the side fairings and rider than elements meant to produce downforce. The only substantial way motorcycles can gain benefit from aero is by reducing overall drag. Our bodies and suits have a pretty poor drag coefficient, so all improvement in aero effects ought to go towards reducing that effect.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #43
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i couldn't be bothered to read the entire thread but i wanted to throw my penny in the pond to watch the ripples anyway...

fixed wings for downforce on a bike: ****** for cornering because the downforce is now pushing you toward the outside of the turn. ****** for taking off because drag. good for high speed wheely reduction but that's not really a problem, not to mention if you somehow do overcome it and do wheely, those fixed wings now change their angle of attack relative to forward velocity and become lifters. not what you want either.

however there's something better than fixed wings. something that's only recently become a real thing on cars... but i don't believe has become a real thing on bikes... control surfaces. that's something completely different than a fixed wing. with real control surfaces you could use fins on the side at 45d angles that change attack so they're pulling you UP into the turn. instead of a fixed wing which would push you out of a turn or would be fighting itself constantly.

Old November 20th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #44
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That is my vision. Tiny Conard wings that move or change angle at a millionth on a second. They would be controled by a laser ring gyro and a computer. Basicly a fly by wire system like advanced fighter jets use to stay airborne. Flying across the ground without lift or downforce. They could be front and rear and maybe even a vertical. but I don't think so.

When any motorcycles hits a certain speed. About 225~275 mph. It's a wall. The bike will push agenced the wall. It will spin the rear tire. Or climb up and wheelie. Or they will compress the suspension and squirt out from under the rider. Many of my friends have experienced these problems. The results are not good when this happens.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.