ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #41
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I think too much importance is put on the MSF course - I found it offered little in the way of real life trials. Putting around a parking lot in 1st and 2nd gear for two days did not feel like it was really getting you ready for the real world. If you had no idea how a motorcycle works - this might offer some new information.

Aside from myself (which I have many years of riding experience) and one other guy in the class, I would not feel comfortable letting anyone else in the class on the streets.

It was kinda of scary how easy the class was - I only learned that the MSF must have some really good lobbyist to demand this class to get a license.

But then again, everyone has an opinion - my is worth less than

Old October 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #42
lolibater
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R, 2011 Sprint GT

It also exempts you from the DMV driving test. I drove stick for years before taking the MSF, and still learned a lot. Sounds like you could use it.

I just took time off work for it. If your safety is important, you might want to take it.

Old October 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #43
NinjetteNewfie
ninjette.org member

Name: Melissa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I hear ya, my BF and I did the course at the same time. He'd rode dirt bikes and stuff as a kid and found the course pretty useless. However, the only two wheeled experience I had was riding a bicycle, so I found it really helpful in terms of just knowing things about the bike like shifting. More than anything it just gave me confidence to putter around on my street for a few days before heading around town with my dad for practice. Funny, the day after the course, third gear for the first time on my little 125 was exhilerating Got a pick of me "tucking" on it HILARIOUS!!

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #44
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

MSF doesn't turn somebody who knows zero about bikes into a safe & experienced motorcycle rider in a weekend. But that's not its intention, or even a reasonable expectation. MSF is worlds better than hopping on a motorcycle and trying to learn by oneself, and figure out what goes wrong by trial & error instead of an organized step-by-step method. And they have more experience than any individual rider could, in teaching newbies week after week, and knowing what works in the safest and most repeatable way. Consider what the OP was contemplating in the first post on how to learn, compared to an organized course which builds every skill from the ground up.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #45
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 13' zx-6r 636

I'm a relatively new rider myself OP, and I took the MSF and before that, I learned as much as possible on my own through youtube and google and even that left me with a lot of unanswered questions. After taking the MSF, I have to say that I did learn a lot about BASIC riding skills and techniques. The point of the course was not to make people experts, but sufficient and knowledgable enough about riding that we could go from there. That being said, it isn't required to take the class, but I'm sure many, including myself, highly recommend it.

You've clearly stated that time is a problem for you, which I can understand. But consider this, safety should be your number one priority when learning and the MSF is just a safe environment to do just that.

Now, if you really cannot take the time to do the course, I'd recommend making some friends who are very very experienced riders and have them really walk you through everything and instruct you.

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #46
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

I cannot believe you tried to take the bike out on traffic without knowing how to shift gears...

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #47
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
I think too much importance is put on the MSF course - I found it offered little in the way of real life trials. Putting around a parking lot in 1st and 2nd gear for two days did not feel like it was really getting you ready for the real world. If you had no idea how a motorcycle works - this might offer some new information.

Aside from myself (which I have many years of riding experience) and one other guy in the class, I would not feel comfortable letting anyone else in the class on the streets.

It was kinda of scary how easy the class was - I only learned that the MSF must have some really good lobbyist to demand this class to get a license.

But then again, everyone has an opinion - my is worth less than
It sounds like you are ignoring everything but the parts on the blacktop. Think of the DMV test. It's no easier and it's no harder: It's the exact same. All the asphalt stuff is preparing you for the test instead of dropping you in it like the DMV does. It's the classroom parts that matter. Not all experienced riders know how to properly ride over a foreign object in the road. There are people who have extensive experience and still don't even know what counter-steering is. Those are the people who WILL force their bars the wrong way in an emergency swerving situation or might not blip the throttle for their front tire to lighten over an object. They probably won't stand on the pegs, close the throttle, and shift weight forward before the same object goes past their rear tire. The MSF hits these types of things point-by-point, quizzes you on it, discusses it with you, tests you on it, and then lets you put it in practice. You don't get any of that from the DMV test or years of experience.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #48
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Take the MSF course. Seriously. It's a great course and really starts you from zero. Your close call was caused by you not knowing about the friction zone. It can be quite intimidating, esp if you've never driven a stick shift before. No disrespect intended, but if you don't know the shifting pattern, it just shows you have a lot more to learn and it'd be much better for you to lean the MSF way than the hard way.

The good news? You don't have any bad habits to break!!!

FWIW, I took a defensive driving class years ago to avoid losing my license. It was a complete waste of time. I was worried the MSF class would be the same thing... you know... generic advice that only works for land yachts. But I was very pleased to see that the MSF course info matched up with reality very very well.

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #49
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Ohh and one more thing... the cost of the first msf class is a little high b/c you use their bikes. I think here it was like $300. But look at it this way... that's the insurance deductible for your first wreck that you won't have b/c you took the class. Capice?

Old October 20th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #50
xxjarrodxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Jarrod

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
In several US states it actually is a must. In fact, it is mandatory. In Texas, no MSF, no license to ride, no license means no motorcycle insurance, no insurance means no ability to title and/or register a bike.

Personally? I think it should be mandatory in all 50 states. I'd also like to see tiered licensing like most of the rest of the world uses, but that's a whole 'nother conversation...

This is not exactly true. In Texas if you take the MSF you don't have to do the driving part of the test. Without the MSF you just take your driving and written tests and you get your license. I have insurance on my bike now without having a license as I need that to get the title transferred over.
xxjarrodxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #51
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

You cannot get a M license in TX without the MSF course - law changed on Oct. 1, 2010.

Old October 20th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #52
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

In the state of california..the only insurance company that provided MSF discount for me was geico...and for some reason their price was still the most expensive. LOL

Old October 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #53
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan3742 View Post
In the state of california..the only insurance company that provided MSF discount for me was geico...and for some reason their price was still the most expensive. LOL
Yeah Geico was really pricey. So I went with Progressive which offered the MSF discount too. Add $6 roadside assistance and its probably the best deal you can find.

Too bad I ran a red light 2 years ago though lol so that doubled my quote.
SemperFudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #54
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmack View Post
lol definatly not a "troll", and honestly I focus so much on grammar at part time school i really dont care when im on the internet hah. (another reason why msf (MSA in BC) is not an option, however i will look into their optional scheduling. Dad has rode motorcycles for about 60 years so Ive been getting some 1 on 1 and shifting + clutch control is coming more naturally now. To the Vancouver resident, I live in white rock, close to south surrey, if we could arrange something that would be amazing actually.
cheers guyz
p.s. Dayym some of you guys are harsh. but i get your point. I was taking a big risk and have taken a long hard thought about how I am going to do this.
P.s.s. quitting is for pussies!
Good to hear. Biggest thing is PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE and doing it safely.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #55
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjarrodxx View Post
This is not exactly true. In Texas if you take the MSF you don't have to do the driving part of the test. Without the MSF you just take your driving and written tests and you get your license. I have insurance on my bike now without having a license as I need that to get the title transferred over.
Your info is outdated. As of September 2009 Texas no longer offers a riding test. The MSF is now mandatory under law, if you don't take the MSF you cannot get the motorcycle endorsement.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2012, 06:53 AM   #56
xxjarrodxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Jarrod

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Your info is outdated. As of September 2009 Texas no longer offers a riding test. The MSF is now mandatory under law, if you don't take the MSF you cannot get the motorcycle endorsement.
I was wrong, guess you learn something new everyday.
xxjarrodxx is offline   Reply With Quote