ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:56 PM   #41
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Check it out, I've been taking this route since I started riding last month.

I go Alton Road south from 65th street right were it starts. Plenty of curves to lean on. Not too twisty but fun for a beginner. As soon as I get to Dade Blvd. (South Beach) I head west on Venetian Cswy. You would basically do it coming from downtown. If you want, let me know and I'll come join you for the ride. Around midnight there are practically no cars, so its fun to get a little spirited.

PM me when you want to check it out.

I can't wait for them to finish Indian Creek construction.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM   #42
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by manos33rd View Post
Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II is good. Are you talking about the DVD?
And I know this is going to probably sound lame to some of the riders on here, but I live in florida and we are required to take the basic riders course in order to get our endorsement on our license. I recommend everybody on a bike at least take the basic riders course, and if possible, invest in the advanced and master's classes too. I thought the basic class would not help but I had to take the course for my endorsement. I've been riding for a while. But, after taking the course, I found that even the basic course can help even experienced riders. This prompted me to take an advanced course and I am going to take the racing course next. I recommend that everyone take the course(s). I know it seems lame but they really do help. Even the basic, and no matter how long you been riding you will learn something.
Manos - whats the advance course consist of?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:45 PM   #43
Troobs
Knee-down newbie

Name: Ollie

Motorcycle(s): Green '10 Ninja 250r, 2009 Harley-Davidson XR1200, 2009 Street Triple R,

Once i got a pair of knee-sliders i felt more confident to get further over than i originally did, shifting your bum off the seat helps infinately IMHO, makes the bike feel so much more stable..

After i got my sliders, I spent a weekend just taking sharp turns, finding the limits, got my knee on the floor, ticked that off, now i just go into corners at whatever speed, and if i realise i've messed up and gone too quick i know how much more i can lean over! good luck with your cornering, because it is the best bit of being on 2 wheels!!
Troobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #44
manos33rd
ninjette.org member

Name: Manos

Motorcycle(s): '10 ninja 250R, '99 YZF R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Manos - whats the advance course consist of?
The advanced course picks up where the basic course left off... Alot of stuff that's useful for emergency situations, like, handling emergencies in corners, more in depth analysis of motorcycle physics, better stopping procedures(especially useful at high speeds) how to avoid common myths, (like gearing down and engine braking while braking slows you down slower, actually, than just clutching and braking, with proof on the track to show you the difference, usually 10 or so feet) etc blah blah blah, lol. It helps hone the skills. From what I understand, its similar to the course the motorcycle cops have to take. I'm not a cop though and have not taken the motorcycle cop course. lol.
manos33rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #45
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

You will give up trying to lean long before the bike will, the bike is better than you and most people who ride it (i include me in that bunch)

I have being helping a friend learn to ride and just want to point out a few things I know helped him and I think will help you.

1. Set your tire pressures up right 28 psi up front, 32 psi at the rear, in a straight line and really slow turns you won't see much difference, but in a lean of 30 degrees or more it is critical. At 30psi up front the i can't lean far as the front has no feel, at 26 psi up front it fells unstable, at 28 psi its perfect. Pre-load too if you've not done it already.

2. You have to lean to turn so you are kinda doing it already, points about body positioning are well done already, so I'll just add that you move your body before you turn, otherwise you will wobble, also you are moving your body with your legs, most people when they try to move first will end up putting inputs into the bars that don't help and cause a wobble. That is not he bike doing the shaking its you. If you keep a bend in your elbows all the time when riding and braking then this won't be an issue for you.

3. In order to lean further you will have to go around the turn faster, got any quiet roundabouts in your neighbourhood? They are great for practicing on.

4. Once you start doing it you will be addicted, but read that book. First thing it will hammer into you is that you need to accelerate gently around a bend, getting on the gas a little stabilizes the bike and makes it feel great, also makes you feel like you could have lent further. If your off the gas the bike will be reluctant to turn, if your on the gas the bike will want to turn more.

Good luck

Recent vid of mine with about this whole subject

Link to original page on YouTube.