ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #801
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Jealous! I'm waiting for some rain to clear up here so I can take the Dawes out for a 30+ mile spin.

Still trying to figure out a way to buy myself a Madone as well. Buying a Yakima roof rack for my car and a 1-piece race suit for track ate into my bike budget a little. I don't want to stretch myself too thin and risk not being able to buy books/food next semester.

Dawes is a solid bike, just really basic.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #802
MattS91
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Jealous! I'm waiting for some rain to clear up here so I can take the Dawes out for a 30+ mile spin.

Still trying to figure out a way to buy myself a Madone as well. Buying a Yakima roof rack for my car and a 1-piece race suit for track ate into my bike budget a little. I don't want to stretch myself too thin and risk not being able to buy books/food next semester.

Dawes is a solid bike, just really basic.
Madone is an amazing bike, wish I could have one and keep my Cervelo. I bought the Cervelo thinking I would do more duathlons and get into triathlons but of course it didn't work out that way. Should've just bought a madone lol
MattS91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #803
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I did my first Du in May (right after finals, literally) at Watkins Glen racetrack. Doing another one the first weekend of Aug in Cleveland. I was slow-ish because I dogged the running, but I out-climbed a bunch of people. Finished in 1:43 on a very hilly course, goal was 1:45. Goal for my next Du is 1:35. Gotta get more running into my biking workouts.

I love the madone. I test rode a whole bunch of bikes in the 1500-2000 price range, and the madone felt the best of all them for me. Fantastic frame.

Old June 16th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #804
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Air fork is good! Why so picky on Hydraulic disks? Mechanicals are so much easier to adjust and maintain.
I guess I'm not too picky on the brakes. As long as the brakes are of good quality and stop better than my rim brakes. It just seems like most bikes in this price range come with hydraulic brakes. An I don't mind the extra maintenance. I have bled my motorcycles brakes and car brakes multiple times. It can't be any more difficult.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #805
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
... I don't mind the extra maintenance. I have bled my motorcycles brakes and car brakes multiple times. It can't be any more difficult.
It's even easier
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #806
MattS91
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

What does everyone think about picking this frame up for a fixie?
http://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/3753564379.html
Crank is broken but does the bolt in that one picture look alright?
MattS91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #807
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Jono, any pair of disk brakes from a reputable manufacturer are going to do better than your rim brakes, even the most basic ones that only clamp from one side. Personally I've only used mechanicals and have no reason to switch to hydraulics. I've read that it's hard to get hydraulics to stop dragging; nothing more annoying than your pads dragging and squealing/humming and resonating through the frame. Can't stand that.

Matt, I've no experience with fixies. If the frame looks good to you, go for it! My buddy did that with an old Schwinn 10-speed and it was a fun project for him.

Old June 20th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #808
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Fixies are nice, but a pain at the same time.

I wish I had time to squeeze in a ride this week. So far things have been really busy. Funny considering I no longer have a job!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #809
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I did a nice ride Sunday. Then I got sick and I've been working extra hours to make up for missing tomorrow for a track day. And I've been doing a lot of fraternity stuff, and I've been sleeping a ton to get healthy again. And I've been slowly prepping for track day.

Basically, I haven't ridden since sunday either. I'm dying to get a bike ride in with all this perfect weather!! Sunny and blue sky all week.

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:05 AM   #810
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Okay, so I am currently looking for a new mtn bike. I currently ride a Gary Fisher 'Trek' Tarpon. It's a good beginner bike but I am ready for a new ride.i budget is $1500 and under. I want a 29er hardtail with hydraulic disc brakes. And the best front fork in this price range.

Just got back from riding a Trek Mamba and it was alright. They didn't have one in a 19" frame which I currently ride. It didn't feel too big but I think it would be more difficult to ride on tight trails. I like my 19" frame. So this bike had a coil front fork. It was nice but not the best.

Then I went a rode a Giant XTC 29er. It felt nice and was a Large frame. Similar in size to my Tarpon. It had an air front fork. But it cost $400 more than the Trek. http://http://www.giant-bicycles.com.../#technologies

What do y'all think? Which bike would you get? I am sure I could order a 19" mamba if I decide on it.

What other bikes should I check out? I was going to test ride some Specialized bikes but they didn't have any bikes in my size. Told me 2014 models would be in end of this month. Going to check out some Scott's tomorrow.
Go to Victory Studio on Broad. Clark and Robert are good guys and it's a very cool shop. Check out the Orbea Alma 29er. It is exactly what you are looking for with budget, hardtail, disc, etc.

http://victorybicyclestudio.com/

Old June 22nd, 2013, 01:50 AM   #811
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Go to Victory Studio on Broad. Clark and Robert are good guys and it's a very cool shop. Check out the Orbea Alma 29er. It is exactly what you are looking for with budget, hardtail, disc, etc.

http://victorybicyclestudio.com/
Mmhm, another bike to try out. Just when I thought I narrowed it down to two choices. The Trek Cobia and the Scott Scale 960. Right now the Scott is winning. Have to wait a week to try out the Trek. Put some money down so they could send a Cobia to the store for me to try out.

I already ruled out the Giant. I may go take a look at these Orbea's. I've seen their road bikes around but I don't think I can say I've ever seen any Orbea mtn bikes.

Old June 30th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #812
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Just got done editing a cool MTB video from this weekend activities, should I post it here or go strait to the video section? It was my first ride in nearly a year so we were a bit slow but I think I may be hooked again because I can't wait to go back.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 03:57 AM   #813
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
This ride is from last Friday with @CycleCam303 and it was an interesting day with us riding through several micro climates along the way from intense heat to hail storms

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 1st, 2013, 01:48 PM   #814
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looks good Jason!! I didn't watch it all though, too long. nice wipeout

It's cool to see how different MTB trails are in different regions of the states. Mine are all tight and twisty and back and forth on themselves; Climbs are typically steep and short, downhill sections are typically long and so gradual that they go un-noticed; rock gardens are usually tons of rocks that range from softball-size to football-size; lots of roots and clay, all in the woods.

Yours are all open and flowy hardpack, the trees and rocks are much larger but more open.

Now I want to go MTB, but today is running day. It's also super rainy here, so all the trails are likely just mud-puddles. I've got to stick with road biking and running anyways, I've got another du in August and I took most of may/June off for MTB and ninja

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:06 PM   #815
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Watch the rest later because the trail, and weather pull a 180 and its a whole different ride plus there's another crash

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:14 PM   #816
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'll try to. got stuff's to do tonight. Might be checking out a ninjette for a buddy. or maybe that's tomorrow? Idk. gotta get mine street legal and do an oil change. and then sleep.

Old July 1st, 2013, 10:07 PM   #817
Jono

Got the Scott Scale 960!!! I love it. It was only new for a couple hours before I had to get it all dirty! Hit the trails with some friends and fell in love with mtn biking again. So I also got Shimano PD-M520 clipless pedals and shoes. First ride ever with these pedals was a success. Only fell over 2 times. Haha. But man do I love clipless pedals. I don't know why I waited soooo long to make the switch. I'll post up a pic of the bike at some point.

Sometime I'll have to make a riding video and share it here.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #818
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
dude, just wait till you get better on the clipless. you'll start rolling/pedaling over things that you never realized you could. Unweighting the back is easier, flicking the rear through turns is easier, not to mention all that smooth power on climbs!!

You'll never understand how you ever lived without them.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #819
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I went from those SPD's to the eggbeater 3's...wow, what a difference.

Cleat sheds mud/grime better, as does the pedal.

I need to hit the trails soon myself.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:27 PM   #820
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
meh, I've liked my experience with the SPD's, egg beaters look a little hard to use with sneakers for around town/goofing around in the yard.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:05 AM   #821
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
meh, I've liked my experience with the SPD's, egg beaters look a little hard to use with sneakers for around town/goofing around in the yard.
This is true. I went with some Crank Bros Mallet 3's for my main commuter. Easy to clip in if using MTB shoes, and also nice when you just want to wear sneakers.

Old July 9th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #822
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

42-mile ride today. 2,200 calories burned. Avg speed 14.5 (some nice headwind in some long sections). Avg heart rate was 172. The max my temp read was 101.4. Nice and warm. It was VERY humid outside, so I was really sweating.

Still, a great day for a ride!

Old July 9th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #823
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nice!!! Jealous. I sat at work all day. But I stopped at another storefront for the bike shop that sells trek (that I don't like) and I like the guys better in that store front. I'm told that the other manager was much more likely to negotiate on price with me and was given his hours.

I might just get that Madone yet without blowing the budget.

Old July 9th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #824
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Well, any bike shop can work on any bike....so get the bike you want, and take it to the shop you like.

I'd love to test ride a Madone, but I know I'm not a huge roadie anymore. I do ride on the road a ton on the road, I just love the MTB. TOUGH CHOICES!

Heck, I doubt even my wife would let me get another bike. lol

Old July 9th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #825
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, my parents are fine with the Madone, assuming I can get the price down a hair. But they told me pretty strongly that I need to get rid of a current bike if I get a new one.

Good thing I have a friend who's interested in the Dawes for a fair price. He'll get into road biking for cheap with a solid bicycle, I'll get rid of a bicycle; win-win situation.

Old July 10th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #826
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well, bad news. The shop won't work with me on price. They did, but it was literally only $50. I was hoping for $200. Weenies.

Guess I might have to move my search back to Aluminum bikes to fit into my 1200-1500 range and see which fits best.

Now the list is:
Cannondale CAAD 8
Trek 2.1
Giant Defy 1

Any stand-outs I should check into also while I'm looking? Scott? Felt?

Old July 10th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #827
Jono

@choneofakind Go check out some Scott's. I don't know much about road bikes, but if they make them as well as their Mtn bikes go ride a few. With mtn bikes in that same price range (which is what I was doing a few weeks ago) Scott had the best components for the price. And the bike just felt much better than the other manufacturers. Ride as many different bikes as you can. You'll know when you find the one for you.

Old July 11th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #828
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah good point, but see here's the thing. I've been really put out by Eddy's bike shop (anyone in NE OH, avoid them like the plague) because they're inconsistent and they suck. They carry Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, and Gary Fisher. I don't want to spend my money there, so I'm scratching the Trek's and Cannondales off my list.

The place I really like carries Raleigh, Giant, and a couple other brands. I'd much rather spend my money there because they've treated me so well for the past 7-ish years. I've no idea who sells Scott or Felt locally. I mention Felt as well because I've read good things about the bang:buck ratio for both those brands, but Giant does really well in that area as well. That's why I'm such a Giant fanboy. I like the way they equip their bikes for what you pay, and I have a great Giant dealer locally.

Right now, I guess I need to start all over, walk in with my price range and needs, and let them help me. I hate starting all over.

Old July 11th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #829
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Meh, looking at Scott's online, can't really find anything that's equipped identically to the Giant, and they don't show their MSRP's so I'm really struggling to even know what to look at.

Old July 11th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #830
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
What's your absolute Priceline and Ill find you something nice. We scored a badass full carbon road bike that's to die for for my mom for $2200 brand new.

Old July 11th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #831
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Absolute max, 1700. Preferred, 1200-1400. Test ride before buying is mandatory. I won't buy before riding. Looking for something that's a little more comfortable but still climbs.

Still not sure on a full carbon bike. They ride so nice, but idk about caring for it if I wreck/ride on a salty winter road/whatever. I'd really rather not ruin an entire frame from one winter ride or one accident.

Old July 11th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #832
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Absolute max, 1700. Preferred, 1200-1400. Test ride before buying is mandatory. I won't buy before riding. Looking for something that's a little more comfortable but still climbs.

Still not sure on a full carbon bike. They ride so nice, but idk about caring for it if I wreck/ride on a salty winter road/whatever. I'd really rather not ruin an entire frame from one winter ride or one accident.
1700 that's going to be impossible for nice and new, but nice and used is doable. Do you know what size frame your looking at?

Old July 11th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #833
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

i need a cheap bike pump.

go.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #834
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Compact crank for climbing
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fuji/fuji_sl1.htm

Standard crank for us strong riders
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road_force.htm

Titanium frame
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...heat_rival.htm

Just cruise around this site and find what you want in component level and a frame that looks good. A lot of these bikes can be found at your local bike or sporting goods stores so you can be an asshole and test there and buy here.

I have no experience with SRAM rival but SRAM force is great stuff. With shimano 105 works but its on the heavy side, ultegra is like force again great stuff.

SRAM red= shimano dura ace
Force= ultegra
Rival= 105

Stay rival and 105 or above if you want quality. Test both brands because shifting is done differnt on each. I like SRAM because the brake levers aren't used for shifting so they have a solid motorcycle feel to them.

Old July 11th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #835
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
1700 that's going to be impossible for nice and new, but nice and used is doable. Do you know what size frame your looking at?
It's very possible for aluminum from name brand I thought I had it in carbon with the Madone 3.1, but meh, those dudes at that shop are a bunch of weenies. I swear, it's because I'm young and they think I'm still just a kid... I get a very different response when I go with a parent to anyplace to buy things. It's annoying.

I'm right around a 56cm. That's what my current ride is, that's what seems to fit me in most brands.

not really fond of bikes direct. Current roadie is from them. It works, but meh. I think I'd rather go with a new aluminum frame with moderate (105/tiagra combo) and trickle down stuff like oversized BB and tapered stems. I'm gonna shower up from my run and go talk with my prefered bike shop and see what they can hook me up with for a couple test rides before they close.

Old July 11th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #836
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well, I did some test riding tonight. Not fond of whatever Raleigh I test rode. I can't ever keep the names of those straight. It was solid, but the bars were too close to the seat, and the angle of the seat wasn't adjustable on the supplied post. Meh.

I test rode a Giant Defy 2 just to test the fit. The M/L fits me very well. I think I like that bike with an Aluminum frame just as well as I liked it with carbon. It fit me very well; the bars were comfy, the drops were a little more aggressive without being hard on my wrists like my Dawes. unfortunately, the run of 2013 bikes is over, and I can't get a Defy 1 until the batch of 2014's comes in. Here's to hoping they aren't ugly paint schemes!! The white/red/black is so pretty.

I definitely like bikes that have a more relaxed rider position. The shop is going to call me when the 2014's come in, then i can take a look at it and see what's been changed and if I'm still interested.

I still have time to play the waiting game and shop around a bit. I'm in no rush.

Old July 12th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #837
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Just check all the big brands. Test away!

Old July 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #838
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
anyone on here use strava?

Old July 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #839
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 14th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #840
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Getting to the edge of those tires too? Those canyons look like a great workout.

I switched it up from road biking and running, and instead I rode 9 miles of single-track today, then ran 2.5 miles. Not a bad combined day. Video later of a nice handlebar clip and save.